• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 09/17 - 09/23 2007

apujanata

AdventureRacing said:
Maybe it's got something to do with wii sports and blade storm's LTD?

I believe there is some missing figure in the PS3 Bladestorm LTD.

Famitsu Sept 10-16

8. WII Wii Sports 14026 / 1981941

12. WII Wii Play 12402 / 1549123

18. PS3 Bladestorm 11400 / 1963460

Fixed. I believe donny has inadvertently mistype Bladestorm's LTD. I said this because I know that donny is NOT a Nintendo fanboy.

ziran

These charts continue to show the popularity of traditional gaming, i.e. the mainstay of PS3 and PSP, isn't rebounding. It's fallen to a niche group and will never break out of this imo.

PS3 is currently a dead system in Japan, and if it's to overtake Wii it will not be with any of its existing line-up, FFXIII, MGS4, GT5, RE5, DMC4, DW5, etc. Relatively speaking, these are tired franchises.

The market has changed, and the new looks like it's going to continue to be the driving force of the industry, and the hardware manufacturer with the most appealing, innovative games will dominate. This may be Sony with some yet to be revealed plan, but after their laughable TGS showing (in terms of reasserting their presence in the market) they're fumbling more than ever, so it's more likely to be Nintendo.

SW is Wii's problem, and I'm sure Nintendo envisioned the current sales scenario as a possibility. Given the time periods involved in hw and sw sales projections, I imagine they decided against releasing any potentially big system sellers because this could've increased demand beyond the amount they were capable of delivering to the market and damaged sw sales of premiere titles, yet by not releaseing any big titles they would find themselves with a dissatisfied installed base. However, with the PS3 continuing to flounder the latter scenario isn't so bad because people won't be tempted by the competition, and Nintendo will be happy to have some breathing room.

With hindsight, late August, early September would've been a good time for something like Wii Fit, but this market isn't going away, so I don't think it's going to matter when it's released. I think the demand for fun, new Nintendo developed titles is as high as ever.

Eteric Rice

ziran said:
These charts continue to show the popularity of traditional gaming, i.e. the mainstay of PS3 and PSP, isn't rebounding. It's fallen to a niche group and will never break out of this imo.

PS3 is currently a dead system in Japan, and if it's to overtake Wii it will not be with any of its existing line-up, FFXIII, MGS4, GT5, RE5, DMC4, DW5, etc. Relatively speaking, these are tired franchises.

The market has changed, and the new looks like it's going to continue to be the driving force of the industry, and the hardware manufacturer with the most appealing, innovative games will dominate. This may be Sony with some yet to be revealed plan, but after their laughable TGS showing (in terms of reasserting their presence in the market) they're fumbling more than ever, so it's more likely to be Nintendo.

SW is Wii's problem, and I'm sure Nintendo envisioned the current sales scenario as a possibility. Given the time periods involved in hw and sw sales projections, I imagine they decided against releasing any potentially big system sellers because this could've increased demand beyond the amount they were capable of delivering to the market and damaged sw sales of premiere titles, yet by not releaseing any big titles they would find themselves with a dissatisfied installed base. However, with the PS3 continuing to flounder the latter scenario isn't so bad because people won't be tempted by the competition, and Nintendo will be happy to have some breathing room.

With hindsight, late August, early September would've been a good time for something like Wii Fit, but this market isn't going away, so I don't think it's going to matter when it's released. I think the demand for fun, new Nintendo developed titles is as high as ever.

I recall Iwata saying that he knows those sales won't last. Question is, what will he do to get them back up?

ITA84

DefectiveReject said:
Seriously. You are questioning whether Galaxy or Smash will help Wii sales????

I don't know for sure anymore... Anyway, I meant "help" as in "week-by-week substained sales for about a year or more". I'd like Mario Galaxy to have an NSMB-like performance in Japan, but somehow I don't see it doing that: maybe because it isn't 2D or maybe because it looks less accessible, or maybe because it's not on a portable.

I see gamers flocking to the Wii once those two games are released but, for the market expansion Nintendo has planned, I believe they won't help that much. I'd be very glad to be proven wrong, since the more people enjoy the Wii, the more developers will work on the system and the more new ideas to use the controller will come out. I still don't have a Wii: I'm a traditionalist, almost a retro-games who's found the gaming Nirvana in the DS, with both classic SNES/PSX era games and new concepts, so I hope for the Wii to do similar things.

Also Wii sales are still high

As I said before, Nintendo could be fine with those numbers, if it weren't for the fact that they're trying to expand the market and slowing down now could mean something for their strategy. I know the DS started even slower, but the various differences between the handheld space and the console one make me doubt we can just assume it will take off again later with some game and keep going with other good games following.
Let's not forget that the DS's portable nature, the fact it's easy and cheap to develop for (the Wii is as well, but surely not near a handheld) and competition (PSP, the Wii basically has none) are all factors that helped it reach heaven.

But then again, this is just me worrying about what could just be an ordinary post-summer sales slump. Then WiiFit, SMG and SSBB could make the Wii live up to its codename and, since PS3 won't represent a valid alternative to developers for a long time (if ever), third party games are bound to keep the system going.

test_account

XP-39C²
apujanata said:
I wouldn't put Katana and Strikers as "fairly big". Strikers is only #37 in GC LTD list (on Moor-Angol's site)

I wasnt sure if they sure how big they were, thats why i wrote "(?)" :) But i read some comments here and the way i understood it some people was suprised that they sold this low, so i assumed these 2 titles were more popular.

apujanata

Eteric Rice said:
I recall Iwata saying that he knows those sales won't last. Question is, what will he do to get them back up?

The more important question is : What is Sony or SCE going to do to get their PS3 sales back up ? I don't want to go with only DS & Wii this generation. And Sony need to help me to stay away from X360 (Halo 3 problem with X360 convince me to wait at least 6 more months before deciding between PS3 and X360).

test_account said:
I wasnt sure if they sure how big they were, thats why i wrote "(?)" :) But i read some comments here and the way i understood it some people was suprised that they sold this low, so i assumed these 2 titles were more popular.
I believe most people agree that they are suprised with the low Strikers Wii sales, but only in comparison with Strikers GCN. Not because Strikers Wii are expected to be big hit.

People are surprised by MP8 sales (compared to MP series on GCN), so people also expect same thing (increased sales) for Strikers Wii (compared to Strikers GCN). I am one of those people who expected Strikers Wii to do better than Strikers GCN (more popular platform, online enabled, better overall game).

Since I am not a Nintendo fanboys, I am surprised, but I am not upset :)

OMG! I've said this before and I'll say it again, Sony should abandon the PS3 and focus on the PSP! It's their lifeline this generation!

OMG! @ Wii, WTF! Nintendo do something!!! That rumored October 10th conference better happen for your sake and it better be huge because you are dying in Japan!

apujanata

Jonnyram said:
27 Sep first day sales
http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10048916096.html

Halo 3 45k - ltd edition sold out most places

DS
Tamagotchi 3 25k

PSP
Yugioh 20k
Eiyuu Densetsu 20k

PS2
Bleach 2nd 20k
PSU expansion 15k
Evangelion 10k

PS3
Oblivion 15k
Agarest 7k

Since Halo 2 First week is 29,235 on Famitsu, Halo 3 first day is a big improvement over halo 2 first week.

Also note that Halo 2 is released on Nov 11 (higher than average month), and Halo 3 is on September (slow month)

Jonnyram

Halo 3 is the best selling 360 game so far this year.

Day one sales:
1. Halo 3 45k
2. Oblivion 35k
3. Trusty Bell 30k
4. Gears of War 25k
5. Idolm@ster 15k

apujanata

DCharlie said:
Another disaster for MS

Only if you compare it to US sales, DCharlie. See Jonnyram's post for japanese comparison.

Jonnyram said:

Day one sales:
1. Halo 3 45k
2. Oblivion 35k 45,497
3. Trusty Bell 30k 43,592
4. Gears of War 25k 33,795
5. Idolm@ster 15k 25,003

I have inserted the first week sales of those X360 games (using Famitsu numbers)

Jonnyram,
How come there is no Blue Dragon First day ? Blue dragon First week : 82,286

test_account

XP-39C²
apujanata said:
I believe most people agree that they are suprised with the low Strikers Wii sales, but only in comparison with Strikers GCN. Not because Strikers Wii are expected to be big hit.

People are surprised by MP8 sales (compared to MP series on GCN), so people also expect same thing (increased sales) for Strikers Wii (compared to Strikers GCN). I am one of those people who expected Strikers Wii to do better than Strikers GCN (more popular platform, online enabled, better overall game).

Since I am not a Nintendo fanboys, I am surprised, but I am not upset :)

Ye, i guess thats it. I also expected it to be higher. Soccer is popular in Japan (atleast Winning Eleven sells pretty good) + Mario seems to be more popular now than before. Maybe the numbers will pick up the next couple of weeks, who knows :)

Jonnyram said:
Halo 3 45k
Tamagotchi 3 25k
Yugioh 20k
Eiyuu Densetsu 20k
Bleach 2nd 20k
PSU expansion 15k
Oblivion 15k
wow, looks like a good few new titles in top10 next week. Tamagotchi 3 shrug-shrug...who will fund Namco titles now? :<

ziran

Eteric Rice said:
I think Nintendo's plan was to release far more audience expansion titles this year than just Wii Fit, but with the amazing popularity of the system out of the gate, they've given their internal teams more time and delayed several titles.

I'd say there was a plan at one stage for Wii Music, Wii MotorSports and Wii Fit to launch this year, along with SMG, SBB, Animal Crossing and Mario Kart, but now this would've been overkill. In the end, these delays are only going to sell more hw, because the sw is going to be better.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo is working on a large amount of unannounced titles designed to grow their installed bases for both DS and Wii, and it isn't a coincidence Q3 this year has been a lull from an internally developed releases point of view. Nintendo scheduled this to catch up with demand.

apujanata

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
wow, looks like a good few new titles in top10 next week. Tamagotchi 3 shrug-shrug...who will fund Namco titles now? :<

What kind of game is Tamagotchi 3 ? same with 1 or 2 ?
Bandai Namco should have realized that they are releasing too many Tamagotchi game.
Tamagotchi 1 : 15-Sep-05
Tamagotchi 2 : 27-Jul-06
Tamagotchi 3 : Sep 07

Well, Namco can milk further their Dragon Ball series (or maybe naruto series). It has been awhile since the DON game (20-Jul-06).

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Ok... so Wii really needs some AAA games out there, and fast, Mario Strikers just isn't good enough, Mario Galaxy + Holidays will pick up the slack, but Ninty aren't going to be able to sit back and watch shipped = sold any more (In Japan, the US/UK seem to be still in that zone), next year will be interesting, and I certainly don't expect Nintendo to sit on it's laurels (And profits) just yet.

PS3 is heading for >10k next week, if Wii is slightly sturggling....PS3 is fucked, seriously fucked, with a large pole, they never had the luxury of being the "In thing" and every sale is going to be a struggle, the holiday season will only highlight this more.

DS chugging along, the holidays will make sure they sell shedloads, and I still can't beleive the "doomed" comments here, the DS is on the verge outselling the Playstation 2 in 2/3rds of the time for fucks sake, and there is the little thing known as DQ9 to come, DS is not doomed, even if it's stupid selling period is over.

PSP...High HW sales, almost non-existant SW sales, either everyone who bought it are pirates (Arrr!) or the majority are replacements for existing PSPs, as the tie ratio for SW/to HW is 1:1, barely...

nli10

DefectiveReject said:
For the DS and Wii to start slowing down at EXACTLY the same time, seems a bit odd to me.

japanese Casual consumers have better thiongs to do - these residual sales are the result of say 80% core gamers and 20% casuals. As we enter the ultimate casual buying season & the newer core games are released all will be fine again.

Totalriot

I've just realised that ASH will debut next week. Any guesses how much it will sell? I think it will do some 50k first day and maybe 100k first week. I hope I am far too conservative, though. Do we know anything about preorders for this game?

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Since 2007 is already "Wii year" in Japan, and nothing can take that away from Nintendo, they're keeping their high profiles to ensure a healthy line-up for 2008, thus silencing all those people asking "yeah, but what does Wii have for 2008?"

apujanata

ziran said:
I think Nintendo's plan was to release far more audience expansion titles this year than just Wii Fit, but with the amazing popularity of the system out of the gate, they've given their internal teams more time and delayed several titles.

I'd say there was a plan at one stage for Wii Music, Wii MotorSports and Wii Fit to launch this year, along with SMG, SBB, Animal Crossing and Mario Kart, but now this would've been overkill. In the end, these delays are only going to sell more hw, because the sw is going to be better.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo is working on a large amount of unannounced titles designed to grow their installed bases for both DS and Wii, and it isn't a coincidence Q3 this year has been a lull from an internally developed releases point of view. Nintendo scheduled this to catch up with demand.

I think you are right. Nintendo might decide to delay several title to give their production department some breathing room. 2008 will be the right year for those delayed games to be released, assuming there is no crazy demand on Christmas 2007, and Wii go back to "sold out" status in Q1 2008. If that happen, some game will be delayed (again).

I also remember that Nintendo is one of the most secretive company in the world (only pentagon and CIA can beat it). Remember the "Mario Sunshine jetpack" secret ? Lol.

Go Go PSP! Only 13 million to go to beat DSL! (seriously, I'm rooting for it!) Hopefully Sony can keep up this momentum for quite some time to come.

apujanata said:
What kind of game is Tamagotchi 3 ? same with 1 or 2 ?
Bandai Namco should have realized that they are releasing too many Tamagotchi game.
Tamagotchi 1 : 15-Sep-05
Tamagotchi 2 : 27-Jul-06
Tamagotchi 3 : Sep 07

Well, Namco can milk further their Dragon Ball series (or maybe naruto series). It has been awhile since the DON game (20-Jul-06).
Yeah, its Tamagotchi 3 as in the next one in the series that have sold 1.11m and 0.78m.
DBZ Sparking Meteor is coming next week...the last Naruto games on PS2 and Wii didn't do as well as previous entries (in PS2 and GC) and they already announced sequels to those.

There is nothing more to milk, who will fund Namco games!? :<

Rolf NB

Stop It said:
PSP...High HW sales, almost non-existant SW sales, either everyone who bought it are pirates (Arrr!) or the majority are replacements for existing PSPs, as the tie ratio for SW/to HW is 1:1, barely...
If the replaced systems get passed on/sold used to other people, it's still an expansion of the install base, so I'd say these upgrade sales completely "count" towards the health of the platform.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
There is nothing more to milk, who will fund Namco games!? :<

didn`t they just announced a crappy wii-fit clone at tgs ? there is ur answer...

apujanata

bcn-ron said:
If the replaced systems get passed on/sold used to other people, it's still an expansion of the install base, so I'd say these upgrade sales completely "count" towards the health of the platform.

I don't know about other people, but I still have 2 GBA + 1 GBA SP in my house (I did not sold it to other people). I also still have 2 DS in my house (with no plan to sold it to other people in the future). In fact, I still have my PS1 in my house (since it is broken now, I could not sell it to other people even if I wanted to).

sankao said:
Next week : PSP outsells DS, and Xbox 360 outsells PS3, thanks to Halo 3, no less. Bizarro world.

If X360 outsells PS3, then Microsoft fanboys will participate in M-create, which mean all three fanboys camp (Nintendo, Sony & Microsoft) can slug it out, and create the biggest, meanest, HD enabled, wagglefied M-create topic ever.

sankao

Lightning said:
I think the 360 is going to out sell the PS3 this week in Japan... :lol
Next week : PSP outsells DS, and Xbox 360 outsells PS3, thanks to Halo 3, no less. Bizarro world.

Hammer24

Banned
Jonnyram said:

Day one sales:
1. Halo 3 45k
2. Oblivion 35k
3. Trusty Bell 30k
4. Gears of War 25k
5. Idolm@ster 15k

IIRC Oblivion was 40k first week, no?

Tamagotchi 3 might have legs like the first 2 games, so I'm guessing it might do 500k-ish.

Halo 3 will do big (well, ~250k HA HA). In fact, I'm also expecting the HW streams to be crossed.

kottila

AdventureRacing said:
Did MS really only ship 70K copies of halo3? Personally i think they should have went for more like 200K.

Is it better for MS to have 155k left on the shelfs instead of 25k?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Lightning said:
I think the 360 is going to out sell the PS3 this week in Japan...
What would be funnier is if 360 by some magic broke 20k due to Halo, while Wii slips once again and fell below it...

apujanata

Hammer24 said:
IIRC Oblivion was 40k first week, no?

Since you missed my previous post, please find it here :

Day one sales, first week sales (famitsu):
1. Halo 3 45k
2. Oblivion 35k 45,497
3. Trusty Bell 30k 43,592
4. Gears of War 25k 33,795
5. Idolm@ster 15k 25,003

Anyone have Blue Dragon First day sales ?
If the conversion of first day to first week of those other 4 games is also valid for Halo 3, then we can only expect 75K first week for Halo 3, which is less than Blue Dragons' first week (82,286)

apujanata

Mr. Pointy said:
Tamagotchi 3 might have legs like the first 2 games, so I'm guessing it might do 500k-ish.

Halo 3 will do big (well, ~250k HA HA). In fact, I'm also expecting the HW streams to be crossed.

Tamagotchi 1 First week vs LTD : 107,499 vs 1,110,046
Tamagotchi 2 First week vs LTD : 181,549 vs 780,711

If 25K First day sales of Tamagotchi 3 were translated in to 50K (worst case) or 75K (best case), then even using Tamagotchi 1 legs, it will only reach 750K for best case, or 500K for worst case.
However, if we use Tamagotchi 2 legs (which is more probable, since it is more recent than Tamagotchi 1), then the projected sales is only 215K (worst case) to 322K (best case).

apujanata

Fafalada said:
What would be funnier is if 360 by some magic broke 20k due to Halo, while Wii slips once again and fell below it...

"Server Error 500. Webserver unavailable. Please stop pressing F5"

Top Bottom