• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 09/17 - 09/23 2007

donny2112

psp_domination.gif

Jcgamer60 said:
PS3 really needs ff13 to come out.
EoJ may help sales. It's actually kind of surprising that it's selling at the levels it currently is. Let's see how things pick up around GT5:p's release. Way to go PSP.

Rolf NB

jj984jj said:
I would also like to welcome our new console overlord, the only one to increase in sales over last week:

360 1,687 | 1,243
Fits the reported 500 Halo 3 preorders perfectly.

Wii comparisons: At week 43, Wii is where GCN was at 172.1 weeks (December 26, 2004), where GBA was at 37.5 weeks (December 5, 2001), where DS was at 50.2 weeks (November 14, 2005), where PS2 was at 55.1 weeks (March 18, 2001), and where PSP was at 81.5 weeks (June 28, 2006).

PS3 comparisons: At week 46, PS3 is where PS2 was at 5.2 weeks (April 3, 2000), where PSP was at 17.6 weeks (April 7, 2005), where GCN was at 20.9 weeks (February 2, 2002), and where Wii was at 6.4 weeks (January 10, 2007).

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 20.3 / 79.7, PSP's best week by share ever. This brings the total shares to 75.5 / 24.5, bucking the trend and bringing the ratio back to where it was in late April 2007. At this week's rates, PSP would catch up to DS in 63.4 weeks (December 10, 2008). If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 47.3 weeks (August 19, 2008).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 30.0 / 70.0, bringing the total shares to 24.4 / 75.6. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 226.8 weeks (January 28, 2012), another new record for that stat.

As you can see by the above bolded numbers, by ratio the Wii's lead on PS3 is now greater than DS's lead on PSP.

PSP vs Wii: At this week's rates, Wii of course never catches up to PSP.

PS2 vs DS: At this week's rates, DS catches up to PS2 in 22.2 weeks (February 25, 2008) at ~21.0 million apiece.

Outside of December-ish, DS Lite has only done better than PSP did this week on two occasions.
Week of 2006-05-22: 285,025
Week of 2007-04-30: 285,123

This is not only PSP's best week, but better than it ever did in two consecutive weeks previously. The high for that was
Weeks of 2005-12-19 and 2005-12-26: 272,073

At week 38, total sales for the year have passed 11 million. Last year that happened week 48.

Sony sales for the year pass 3 million. Last year it took until week 48.

In weekly sales, this is Sony's highest in a long time. At least, I don't see one higher from 2003 on, so I'd have to look back into the Famitsu data to try and find one.

pacchartweekly.php

barchartweekly.php

sphinx said:
what happened to him? was he banned or just got bored of doing the charts?
I think he got bored because all the weeks were so similar.

I can't believe how poorly consoles are selling. I'm starting to have doubts as to if Wiifit/Galaxy will even give much of a bump :S

jrricky

Banned
wait, people are championing launch hardware, is this sarcasm or something? Great sales for PSP but......its just launched, and selling as expected.

Wii = :(
PS3 + X360 =
th_PoleBarBlooper.gif

Indeed the Wii did have a good run. Mini game compilations and shovelware are only fun for a while, then something deep inside you knows that something is missing. Wheres the beef? Once you have this revelation you realize that the Wii is nothing but a gamecube with waggle with no where near the ammount of good games the gamecube had one year in its cycle.
Third parties need to step it up and actually TRY when making Wii games. And stop releasing them broken! I don't care if you missed your deadline spend the money to use on a few more days/weeks on game developement if needed and the resulting sales will make up for those extra days in production. Also Nintendo needs to step it up.
So far their only major game that has come out ALL YEAR has been Metroid Prime Corruption. And their marketing/hype for the game felt like not even they cared about it. All they care about is Wii Fit and Mario Party. C'mon guys, people who have bought Wii's thus far bought it because of potential. Now according to Japan sales people are losing faith in this potential. But It DOES have great potential if Nintendo and third parties develope solid games for it.
We already have enough mini game compilations in the Wii Library for its whole lifetime. Its time to get serious game developers. Wii want MORE MORE MORE MOOOOOORE!!!!!!!!!

The new Famitsu data for last week is out. Thanks to the big PSP and DS releases last week, it seems to be a new record for portion of the software market captured by portable. Together DS and PSP accounted for 84.3% (53.6 DS + 30.7 PSP) of software sales, besting 83.6% (78.6 DS + 4.0 PSP) the week of 2006-09-25.
071012soft.jpg

Link

The Autumn Wind
perfectchaos007 said:
Third parties need to step it up and actually TRY when making Wii games.
I'm pretty sure this is exactly what they want. Ignore the Wii until it goes away so they can get back to making software the way they are comfortable with.

The whole "Third parties got caught with their pants down" excuse ran out a long time ago.

Jiggy

donny2112 said:
PSP 277,794
DSL 70,523
Wii 24,992
PS2 11,373
PS3 10,732
Xbox360 1,687
GBM 243
GBASP 106
GC 68
GBA 33
DS 15
So, PSP + DSL + GBM + GBASP + GBA + DS = 348,714.
Wii + PS2 + PS3 + 360 + GC = 48,852.

Seeing the home consoles at only ~14% of the portables makes me giddy. Pac-Man in celebration?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
PS3 sales will start to rise by the end of the year thanks to GT5 prologue, and continue with games like DMC4 and MGS4. And if Capcom decided to port games like Lost Planet and Dead Rising I'm sure they would sell considering they wer eonly on 360 so far.

And :lol :lol :lol at the conspiracy theories. So if the Wii fails, for all the logical reason it would, it's the third party sabotaging it right?

This is going more along the lines of what I was predicting around 6 months ago: The Wii will become the new Gamecube when next-gen really shows up with next-gen sports games, GT5, RE5. Even games like RE5 have more chances of attracting new gamers. I know a lot of guy,s girlfriends like RE4 because it was so movie-like in experience. It will only be moreso with RE5 and the same will go for next-gen sports games, especially racing games like GT5.

HyperionX

I don't think it's the end of home consoles in Japan, merely the final stages of the mini-games and casual games era, just that the PS3 is too expensive to take over as of now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
HyperionX said:
I don't think it's the end of home consoles in Japan, merely the final stages of the mini-games and casual games era, just that the PS3 is too expensive to take over as of now.

PS3 has NO games right now, no wonder it's not selling. And obviously yeah it's still too expensive. But once the big sequels come it will start selling in Japan. The thing is the big games are too few and too far apart, that's why I'm suprised Capcom isn't using this opportunity to port Dead Rising and Lost Planet + make sequels as well. They have an open field ahead of them.

EDIT: Square should have waited for the Slim to be released before releasing FFT:The Lion War. Could have been released a bit later.

In other news, people should receive their God of War: Chains of Olympus PSP demo soon.

perfectchaos007 said:
Indeed the Wii did have a good run. Mini game compilations and shovelware are only fun for a while, then something deep inside you knows that something is missing. Wheres the beef? Once you have this revelation you realize that the Wii is nothing but a gamecube with waggle with no where near the ammount of good games the gamecube had one year in its cycle.
Third parties need to step it up and actually TRY when making Wii games. And stop releasing them broken! I don't care if you missed your deadline spend the money to use on a few more days/weeks on game developement if needed and the resulting sales will make up for those extra days in production. Also Nintendo needs to step it up.
So far their only major game that has come out ALL YEAR has been Metroid Prime Corruption. And their marketing/hype for the game felt like not even they cared about it. All they care about is Wii Fit and Mario Party. C'mon guys, people who have bought Wii's thus far bought it because of potential. Now according to Japan sales people are losing faith in this potential. But It DOES have great potential if Nintendo and third parties develope solid games for it.
We already have enough mini game compilations in the Wii Library for its whole lifetime. Its time to get serious game developers. Wii want MORE MORE MORE MOOOOOORE!!!!!!!!!

Are you on drugs? Wii is still > PS3 x 2.

botticus

HyperionX said:
You think that era was that short? Even though the DS is still selling more than all the consoles combined?

AniHawk

Ether_Snake said:
PS3 sales will start to rise by the end of the year thanks to GT5 prologue, and continue with games like DMC4 and MGS4. And if Capcom decided to port games like Lost Planet and Dead Rising I'm sure they would sell considering they wer eonly on 360 so far.

And :lol :lol :lol at the conspiracy theories. So if the Wii fails, for all the logical reason it would, it's the third party sabotaging it right?

This is going more along the lines of what I was predicting around 6 months ago: The Wii will become the new Gamecube when next-gen really shows up with next-gen sports games, GT5, RE5. Even games like RE5 have more chances of attracting new gamers. I know a lot of guy,s girlfriends like RE4 because it was so movie-like in experience. It will only be moreso with RE5 and the same will go for next-gen sports games, especially racing games like GT5.

5lxcgj.jpg

mepaco

Ether_Snake said:

Maybe you missed the part where PS3 sales dropped again, almost below 10K, and the Wii still outsold it around 2.5:1. I won't speak for Link's conspiracy theory, but I don't think it is a stretch to call the 3rd party Wii effort pitiful so far. I know that everyone is looking for a reason to cry D00M for the Wii but you guys are really getting out of hand.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Ether_Snake said:
Uh, yes. No third party games means not many sales. (See: GameCube)

There are no other "logical reasons" for the Wii suddenly failing. Though I'm sure you have some dumbass suggestions.

looking at the charts, it's like looking at an alternate reality lol.

is this a pspslim bump? crisiscore bump? or something more permanent...

Mar_ said:
I never thought I'd see the day. It's like I've landed in bizarro land and everyone I once knew has a goatie and different coloured clothes.

That Pac-Man should have a bow to show it as Ms. Pac-Man, it feels so wrong for Pac to be gobbling up the DS like that!

I'm shocked, but good for PSP, and Square. This has probably rattled a few cages at Nintendo, maybe they'll actually focus a bit on DS dev again. (And I mean something more than "My Housekeeping Diary.")

HyperionX

botticus said:
You think that era was that short? Even though the DS is still selling more than all the consoles combined?

DS and Wii are no longer untouchable as they were a few months ago. A slew of good games and a price drop and PS3 could easily beat them, as has the PSP.

Link

The Autumn Wind
HyperionX said:
DS and Wii are no longer untouchable as they were a few months ago. A slew of good games and a price drop and PS3 could easily beat them, as has the PSP.
Yeah, because that's exactly what happened in the US. The PS3 is in even more trouble than the Wii right now. It's pretty obvious that handhelds are the alternative of choice, not the PS3.

botticus

HyperionX said:
We should probably wait for the launch frenzy to die down before we make claims about the lasting impact of one game (not a slew) has on PSP sales.

Wyndstryker said:
looking at the charts, it's like looking at an alternate reality lol.

is this a pspslim bump? crisiscore bump? or something more permanent...

I think PSP slim is here to stay for a little while, at least till the end of the year. Not that it'll do DS numbers, but 60k+ a week even during the slow weeks is what I'm predicting.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Link said:
Uh, yes. No third party games means not many sales. (See: GameCube)

There are no other "logical reasons" for the Wii suddenly failing. Though I'm sure you have some dumbass suggestions.

If you want to get an idea of how important third parties are in Nintendo's eyes then just look at how important they are to Sony and even moreso to Microsoft.

Then come back and blame third parties again.

Nintendo doesn't give a fuck about third parties, so blame them first.

donny2112

Famitsu Sept 10-16

1. NDS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Darkness/Time 583713 / NEW
2. PSP Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII 470152 / NEW
3. PSP Fate/Tiger Colosseum 53167 / NEW
4. PS2 Another Century's Episode 3: The Final 40445 / 197138
5. NDS Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates 21787 / 338757
6. WII Mario Party 8 20933 / 800653
7. NDS Taiko Drum Master 19231 / 125198
8. WII Wii Sports 14026 / 1981941
9. NDS My Housekeeping Diary 13659 / 194263
10. PS2 Sengoku Musou 2: Moushouden 13502 / 271121