• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/21 - 1/27

tanod

when is my burrito
Go Wiifit!

PS2 and PSP also having a surprisingly and relatively strong presence on the charts is good too.

FUCK YEAH!! PSP is really starting to pick up steam. I've never seen a console blossom so late in it's life. Just one year ago it pretty much was dead (except for hardware in the USA).

Vinnk

Today I became part of the problem and part of the solution.

problem.jpg

As for sales stuff, I went to 2 stores today. Smash was sold out at both of them, but they were able to fill all pre-orders (including mine of course). Plenty of copies of DMC4 on the shelves. I didn't see any of the bundles so maybe those sold out. Didn't matter though, Brawl overshadowed everything. Almost like Nintendo planned to upset the DMC4 launch...

:: ACK! Ninjas! ::

Vinnk said:
Almost like Nintendo planned to upset the DMC4/Tales/Haruhi/Disgaea/Sega Rally/NFS/Houkago no Shounen/Family Ski/Assassins Creed launch...
fixed

I don't think Namdai cares though, putting Tales, Haruhi and Family Ski all together.

Kenka

Vinnk said:
Brawl overshadowed everything. Almost like Nintendo planned to upset the DMC4 launch...

That's nothing. Prepare for the Sumabura vs GTA IV final fight in Europe this spring.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
ethelred said:
That looks like part of the problem and and entirely different part of the problem.

You know when you read someone's tag, and never understand why they had it in the first place?

I just had the enlightenment on why you received that tag. I feel, enlightened. Light shine upon me be.

I suppose Inside-Games.jp had an off-by-one error or a miss on the lookup table.

ニュースーパーマリオブラザーズ
ニュースチャンネル

linsivvi

Lobster said:
I think many people would prefer PSPs online..

If Capcom wanted to do it, they'd have done it by now. Capcom probably doesn't want to set up servers for free. To play all those Capcom online games on the PS2, you have to pay a monthly fee to the KDDI service, which provided the servers. You think people in Japan would prefer that?

Jammy

Banned
Vinnk said:
Today I became part of the problem and part of the solution.

problem.jpg

As for sales stuff, I went to 2 stores today. Smash was sold out at both of them, but they were able to fill all pre-orders (including mine of course). Plenty of copies of DMC4 on the shelves. I didn't see any of the bundles so maybe those sold out. Didn't matter though, Brawl overshadowed everything. Almost like Nintendo planned to upset the DMC4 launch...

:: ACK! Ninjas! ::

This picture really says it all here about the Wii. Nintendo's got two huge multi-million sellers here, both of which appeal to completely different audiences - the millions and millions of die-hard Nintendo fans and the even larger (pun intended?) group of millions and millions of "non-gamers" that Nintendo has been able to tap into.

Nintendo's hugely successful now and that picture shows nothing but pure brilliance in design.

birdchili

i love these "contrastive" photos. there were some good endless ocean/no more heroes shots too.

"casual gamers" -> gamers
"core gamers" -> gamers

i like games. more people should play.

Eteric Rice

Jammy said:
This picture really says it all here about the Wii. Nintendo's got two huge multi-million sellers here, both of which appeal to completely different audiences - the millions and millions of die-hard Nintendo fans and the even larger (pun intended?) group of millions and millions of "non-gamers" that Nintendo has been able to tap into.

Nintendo's hugely successful now and that picture shows nothing but pure brilliance in design.

Pretty much, and their growth shows no signs of slowing down. I do wish they'd announce/make some more stuff, though.

That, or help third parties out. They need it.

Hero

Sakurai and Iwata put it best. Every gamer, no matter how hardcore, was once a casual gamer before they found their passion for gaming and became more interested in more 'hardcore' games. No doubt some of the 'casuals' that are buying Wii Sports and Wii Fit will become interested in gaming and become hardcore.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Eteric Rice said:
I do wish they'd announce/make some more stuff, though.

That, or help third parties out. They need it.

The very worrying thing is that we now know an awful lot of their 2008 lineup and it's fairly weak:

Mario Kart Wii
Wii Music
Disaster: DoC
Super Mario Stadium Baseball
Kirby
Animal Crossing
Common Sense Training

Now, I'm a huge Nintendo fan and I'll probably own everything on that list except Baseball and Common Sense Training, but there's a distinct lack of megatonnage there. Mario Kart and AC are both a-tier franchises in terms of sales, but neither are really "epic" like Galaxy, Brawl, or even in the US Metroid. Disaster is the only new core IP here as well, which is a little disappointing considering the varied experiments in the GCN era (whether you liked them or not)

The real trouble here is that we know Mario Kart and Common Sense Training drop before June, but all those other titles drop AFTER June which means either Nintendo has a whole lot up their sleeves and this will be some record-setting breakneck software release pace... or... this year is mostly going to be stuff we've known about for a while and aren't going crazy for.

The DS is comparatively better off because there's a lot more wiggle room. Eternal Chronicle, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars DS2, and Kirby Superstar are the only things slated after March so there could be a lot more we don't know about

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Stumpokapow said:
The very worrying thing is that we now know an awful lot of their 2008 lineup and it's fairly weak:

Mario Kart Wii
Wii Music
Disaster: DoC
Super Mario Stadium Baseball
Kirby
Animal Crossing
Common Sense Training

Now, I'm a huge Nintendo fan and I'll probably own everything on that list except Baseball and Common Sense Training, but there's a distinct lack of megatonnage there. Mario Kart and AC are both a-tier franchises in terms of sales, but neither are really "epic" like Galaxy, Brawl, or even in the US Metroid. Disaster is the only new core IP here as well, which is a little disappointing considering the varied experiments in the GCN era (whether you liked them or not)

The real trouble here is that we know Mario Kart and Common Sense Training drop before June, but all those other titles drop AFTER June which means either Nintendo has a whole lot up their sleeves and this will be some record-setting breakneck software release pace... or... this year is mostly going to be stuff we've known about for a while and aren't going crazy for.

The DS is comparatively better off because there's a lot more wiggle room. Eternal Chronicle, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars DS2, and Kirby Superstar are the only things slated after March so there could be a lot more we don't know about

Mario Kart is a pretty epic I'd say. Lots more people will be interested in MK or AC then Metroid

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
HK-47 said:
Mario Kart is a pretty epic I'd say. Lots more people will be interested in MK or AC then Metroid

Again, I'm diverging from Sales Age here. I understand that MK and AC are a-tier franchises sales wise. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the quality of the first-party lineup. I love both MK and AC, and they're welcome day-one additions to my library... but both are not thematically or conceptually as epic as Galaxy, Brawl, or Metroid.

Sales-wise, out of the games listed, certainly MK, AC, and Wii Music will break a million. Put me down for AC breaking two million. Mario Stadium Baseball will do a few hundred k. Common Sense training a few hundred k. Kirby probably a half mil maybe as low as 250-300k. Disaster is obviously a wildcard.

I'm just talking about my personally gaming feelings as a Wii owner.

Oxx

I hope they have something special out for Christmas.

After Twilight Princess and Galaxy the past two years it would be slightly disappointing not to have something high-profile and 'epic' in 2008.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Stumpokapow said:
Again, I'm diverging from Sales Age here. I understand that MK and AC are a-tier franchises sales wise. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the quality of the first-party lineup. I love both MK and AC, and they're welcome day-one additions to my library... but both are not thematically or conceptually as epic as Galaxy, Brawl, or Metroid.

Sales-wise, out of the games listed, certainly MK, AC, and Wii Music will break a million. Put me down for AC breaking two million. Mario Stadium Baseball will do a few hundred k. Common Sense training a few hundred k. Kirby probably a half mil maybe as low as 250-300k. Disaster is obviously a wildcard.

I think you are selling Kirby short. Especially if its classic style Kirby

Innotech

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

Brawl pretty much makes anything else on any system a nonfactor.
but other than that MK will probably sell pretty well.
Also, I believe Metroid Prime 3 isnt out in Japan yet.

AniHawk

Stumpokapow said:

There are few games I can see Nintendo bringing out this year that would make 2008 go from lacking to decent. SSBB of course is the major one. Pikmin 3 would be pretty huge for me. That's about all I can think of that's within a reasonable reaching distance, really.

Vinci

Danish
Innotech said:
Wii Fit pretty much makes anything else on any system a nonfactor.

Fix'd that for ya. Not discounting Brawl's prominence but let's be realistic here. Wii Fit is going to be a sales juggernaut of untold proportions.

Xeke

Banned
AniHawk said:
There are few games I can see Nintendo bringing out this year that would make 2008 go from lacking to decent. SSBB of course is the major one. Pikmin 3 would be pretty huge for me. That's about all I can think of that's within a reasonable reaching distance, really.

Oh come on. We'll probably get Brain Training 3.

Stumpokapow said:

Another Advance Wars title is coming this year? That would be amazing but when was that announced?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Rancid Mildew said:
Another Advance Wars title is coming this year? That would be amazing but when was that announced?

I assume he's talking about Japan, where it hasn't been released yet.

AniHawk

Rancid Mildew said:

I think he means that Days of Ruin is coming out in Non-NA regions after March.

linsivvi

Stumpokapow said:

First party contribution to the DS isn't as important at this point anyway, since every developer and their dog are making DS games in Japan. I guess 2008 will be a transition year for Wii if Nintendo has indeed just pulled resources from DS development to Wii development. Games won't come out until 2009 though we might hear a lot of announcement in a few months.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I was talking about Japan.

DS 2008 could be AWESOME in North America because there's so much untranslated Japanese gold, some of which is confirmed and some of which is not; some of which is released in Japan and some of which is not.

Nintendo: Jet Impulse, Kurikin Nano Island Story, Project Hacker, Slide Adventure Mag Kid, theta, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2, ASH, Card Hero, Soma Bringer, Pokemon Ranger 2, Fire Emblem, Kirby Superstar Deluxe

Third party: Ninja Gaiden, Etrian Odyssey 2, Apollo Justice, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles RoF, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Dragon Quest IV, Super Dodgeball Brawlers, The World Ends With You, Layton, Final Fantasy IV, Tales of Innocence, Yosumin, Metal Slug 7, Bangai-O, Nanostray 2, Exit, Inazuma Eleven, Shiren, Populous, Sim City DS 2, Flower Sun and Rain, Jake Hunter

... and that's just stuff that could realistically have a 2008 US release.

There's virtually no chance of a 3rd DS AW title. The series died in Japan and I think Nintendo knows it's not wise to kill it in Europe and the US with overexposure.

I think localized Japanese releases of 2008 Wii games would significantly bolster the Wii library in North America as well. Of course the chances of that happening for most of the interesting Japanese titles is unfortunately slim.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Rancid Mildew said:
I think localized Japanese releases of 2008 Wii games would significantly bolster the Wii library in North America as well. Of course the chances of that happening for most of the interesting Japanese titles is unfortunately slim.

I'm not so sure about that. Squeenix is going to localize virtually everything they release, although you get the traditional 6-9 month delay. Marvelous is expanding in the US bigtime so we'll probably get Oboro Muramasa Yotoden and King Story. Obviously Atlus has a good record of localization. Aksys localizes 200% of all Arc System Works titles, so they're taken care of. D3 is expanding so we might get some of the better titles from that end. Hudson is localizing Deca Sporta and that's the only major interesting announcement they've got. Konami has done better in NA than JP so they're a safe bet. Majesco picks up a lot of budgety stuff.

Actually, to be honest, Scamco is pretty much the only company that doesn't have good localization prospects for their Wii stuff... but we're still guaranteed to get Tales of Symphonia: Knights of Ratatouille.

What did you have in mind that you don't think we'll get?

Stumpokapow said:
I'm not so sure about that. Squeenix is going to localize virtually everything they release, although you get the traditional 6-9 month delay. Marvelous is expanding in the US bigtime so we'll probably get Oboro Muramasa Yotoden and King Story. Obviously Atlus has a good record of localization. Aksys localizes 200% of all Arc System Works titles, so they're taken care of. D3 is expanding so we might get some of the better titles from that end. Hudson is localizing Deca Sporta and that's the only major interesting announcement they've got. Konami has done better in NA than JP so they're a safe bet. Majesco picks up a lot of budgety stuff.

Actually, to be honest, Scamco is pretty much the only company that doesn't have good localization prospects for their Wii stuff... but we're still guaranteed to get Tales of Symphonia: Knights of Ratatouille.

What did you have in mind that you don't think we'll get?

Well, I should clarify my statement. I was talking in terms of 2008 releases. My memory's a bit fuzzy so I'm not sure when they are coming out in Japan but if those games don't appear until late spring, getting them this year doesn't seem likely.

The one title I do have concerns about is probably Fragile. ethelred's game recommendations have always exceeded my expectations and since he's personally hyping that one up, I'd definitely like to see a state side release but if I recall correctly, the development team's previous efforts have never been localized.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Well, I should clarify my statement. I was talking in terms of 2008 releases. My memory's a bit fuzzy so I'm not sure when they are coming out in Japan but if those games don't appear until late spring, getting them this year doesn't seem likely.

Localization time of 3-6 months is probably industry standard. Less for games that are designed with an international release fully in mind. Paradoxically, bigger pubs like Nintendo and Squeenix are slower at localizing in my experience.

Rancid Mildew said:
The one title I do have concerns about is probably Fragile. ethelred's game recommendations have always exceeded my expectations and since he's personally hyping that one up, I'd definitely like to see a state side release but if I recall correctly, the development team's previous efforts have never been localized.

Fragile is going to be fucking awesome, and yes, ethel has exceptional taste when it comes to RPGs.

Localization prospects are mixed. What's counting for it: everything tri-Cresendo has ever developed has been localized. Genre is pretty open and so there could be "a lot" of sales just based on genre. What's counting against it: Scamco sucks in general and are very unaccomodating of other pubs like Atlus picking up titles they have no interest in localizing, and as I mentioned has the worst localization commitments of any major JPN pub so far. You're also correct that the Venus & Braves / Seven team has had no localization luck so far. The game is also pretty niche.

Stumpokapow said:
Localization time of 3-6 months is probably industry standard. Less for games that are designed with an international release fully in mind. Paradoxically, bigger pubs like Nintendo and Squeenix are slower at localizing in my experience.

Awesome. I'll take your word for it. I guess post-Brawl Wii won't be too bad after all.

Fragile is going to be fucking awesome, and yes, ethel has exceptional taste when it comes to RPGs.

Localization prospects are mixed. What's counting for it: everything tri-Cresendo has ever developed has been localized. Genre is pretty open and so there could be "a lot" of sales just based on genre. What's counting against it: Scamco sucks in general and are very unaccomodating of other pubs like Atlus picking up titles they have no interest in localizing, and as I mentioned has the worst localization commitments of any major JPN pub so far. You're also correct that the Venus & Braves / Seven team has had no localization luck so far. The game is also pretty niche.

Thanks a lot for the information. Actually, the chances for a NA Fragile sound a lot better than what I had concluded based on my limited knowledge. I guess I'll just pray for it to come to America.

Top Bottom