• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/21 - 1/27

31./27. [NDS] More Brain Age (Nintendo)
32./00. [PS3] Juiced 2 (THQ Japan)
33./22. [WII] Mario Strikers Charged (Nintendo)
34./26. [NDS] Tales of Innocence (Bandai-Namco)
35./35. [NDS] More English Training (Nintendo)
36./31. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 (Konami)
37./38. [PSP] Hot Shots Golf Portable 2 (Sony)
38./39. [NDS] Nep League DS (Jaleco)
39./36. [NDS] Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day (Nintendo)
40./34. [NDS] Kanji Test 2 (Rocket Co.)
41./00. [NDS] Exit DS (Taito)
42./21. [PSP] Star Ocean 1: First Departure (Square-Enix)
43./00. [NDS] Cute Kitten DS (MTO)
44./32. [PSP] Haruhi Suzumiya's Promise (Bandai-Namco)
45./41. [WII] Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (Capcom)
46./45. [NDS] Pokémon Diamond (Pokémon)
47./00. [PS2] Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Capcom)
48./37. [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (Sony)
49./43. [PS3] Shin Sangoku Musou 5 (Koei)
50./42. [NDS] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters World Championship 2008 (Konami)

NDS - 27
WII - 8
PSP - 6
PS3 - 5
PS2 - 4

hardware.gif

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. NDS   -    79,370 |    88,575 |   531,882 | 21,704,933
2. PSP   -    77,933 |    79,923 |   472,249 |  8,073,843
3. WII   -    74,544 |    81,638 |   448,509 |  5,064,669
4. PS3   -    34,363 |    38,117 |   175,570 |  1,817,246
5. PS2   -    11,364 |    13,539 |    71,412 | 20,998,449
6. 360   -     4,296 |     4,552 |    23,301 |    530,642

s_20080121.png

darkgable

Banned
Hmm! Should be interesting to see the bump the wii gets with all the SSBM action taking place over there.

Any Guesses gaffers?

Spoit

DS bomba? It fell a lot and is now barely outselling the PSP and Wii. Maybe it's time for that cobalt blue color.

Jammy

Banned
Are we expecting a Wii semi-spike for next week? I'd imagine Wii Fit's numbers will also be over 100,000 next week thanks to some new owners/interest of the Wii because of SSBB.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Jammy said:
Are we expecting a Wii semi-spike for next week? I'd imagine Wii Fit's numbers will also be over 100,000 next week thanks to some new owners/interest of the Wii because of SSBB.

I think it will go up, but I'm not expecting some insane surge.

darkgable said:
Hmm! Should be interesting to see the bump the wii gets with all the SSBM action taking place over there.

Any Guesses gaffers?

Dr. Peter Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?
Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath-of-God type stuff.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.
Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling.
Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Open challenge to everyone; rank the PSP, the Wii, and the DS for 2008 total sales. The tone in all of the threads this year has been generally assuming that sometime during the year the PSP will overtake the DS on a weekly basis. Does anyone think that the PSP will do better than the DS overall this year? What about the Wii? Will continued software uptake be enough to spike it up or will it lag again after the Wii Fit and Brawl Megatons are over and before Mario Kart is released?

My guess:
1. DS
2. Wii
3. PSP

for the year. I think all three will be pretty close. The DS always has the price drop card open. The Wii is more likely to spike or decline based on major titles being released. The PSP I expect to keep up very strong sales but lacking a major million seller potential this year, I don't expect to actually beat the Wii or DS. Anyone else have a prediction?

toxk_02

Black Republican
How do first day sales work? Will Famitsu or someone give us Day 1 sales of SSB:B and DMC4 soon or will we have to wait for next week's Media-Create?

schuelma

toxk_02 said:
How do first day sales work? Will Famitsu or someone give us Day 1 sales of SSB:B and DMC4 soon or will we have to wait for next week's Media-Create?

We should get them early tomorrow morning

kassatsu

Banned
HW Percentage from week to week
1. [PSP] -2.5%
2. [360] -5.6%
3. [WII] -8.7%
4. [PS3] -9.8%
5. [NDS] -10.4%
6. [PS2] -16.1%

darkgable

Banned
bmf said:
Dr. Peter Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?
Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath-of-God type stuff.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.
Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling.
Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria.

Ah great lines, just refresh my memory, was this beofre or after the Venkman "This man has no dick"?

From the peaks at the pics on here, it looks like it a been a civilized launch. Glad that Vinnk & Sporks made it back alive to tell their stories.

I hope the Western launches are as well behaved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXQelTyvGLY

donny2112

turk128 said:
This is a bit wacky but... try playing SSBB with your Wiiboard.

I don't believe it is analogous to the Bongos where the Bongo input translated to button presses. The WiiBoard is likely a totally different programmatic type of input mechanism for the Wii.

Edit:
Do I need to break out the chart of Media-Create posts over the years? The past two weeks have been really slow.

Stumpokapow said:
Open challenge to everyone; rank the PSP, the Wii, and the DS for 2008 total sales.
I don't have nearly the requisite knowledge to say, but let me go ahead and spout a prediction anyhow! I think that while you're probably right (DS, then Wii, then PSP), it's at least plausible that PSP could surpass Wii on the hardware side. Since the redesign it seems the Japanese have discovered it to be a nice little piece of mobile CE. I fully agree that Wii seems more dependent on game releases, both traditional and blue-oceanic, whereas PSP doesn't--which isn't good for the platform, but results in more consistent hardware sales. Basically, the PSP's media functions seem to be serving the same purpose as the DS' wide-ranging game library: to keep sellthrough high no matter the week. But DS wins the year because besides the high background level, it has huge spikes when big titles are released, and DQIX and plenty more are coming.

If Wii finds third-party software legs like DS did over time, that piled on top of its current trendiness will put it in second, and in great position to be first next year. If some titles continue to falter or underperform, and developers remain hesitant to commit, and PSP finds an iPodesque niche, Wii could end up (barely) third. But that seems an unlikely conjunction of events. Sony will have to pray for syzygy (though any respectable PSP sales number is good for them, since the hardware's profitable).

Anth

I don't believe the DS will have many 100k weeks outside of holidays anymore. It's just nearing the saturation point. Even something like 30 million lifetime seems outrageous, and isn't far off anymore.

That would be about what Gameboy and Gameboy Color did during their long, long lifespan.

Eteric Rice

jarrod said:
DSL + 512MB internal flash + DS Channels + Virtual Handheld?

I wonder when we'll see the DVD-Wii as well?

DVD Wii will probably come when HD is a little more rampant. I suspect the next Wii design will have upscaling capabilities.

Arthas

Banned
Anasui Kishibe said:
holy crap, just as expected Wiifit definitely has legs

who wanna bet on Brawl?

100,000+ first week, ban me if I'm wrong mods. (hehe, i can't possibly be wrong..^_^)

Mashing

Oxx said:
I hope they have something special out for Christmas.

After Twilight Princess and Galaxy the past two years it would be slightly disappointing not to have something high-profile and 'epic' in 2008.

Animal Crossing is a killer app in japan. Go look at the sales for the DS version.

jgwhiteus

Maybe the DS needs some new colors and a small price drop to tide it over until DQIX (at which point they should also release a DQ special edition)...although 80K/week is still a good number to "tide over" with for any system.

PSP hardware sales are also really good, but I was surprised by Sony's financial report yesterday - worldwide, from October through December (which would cover the period of PSP Slim's launch, I think), PSP hardware sales were up 22% over the same period the previous year, but its software sales were actually down 14%. It also had an attach rate of about 3.2 for the quarter. Piracy/multimedia device argument, blah blah, etc.

6 titles on the chart is OK-ish, though, so maybe its Japan sales are an exception to its WW sale trends, or a harbinger of an eventual turnaround.

Stumpokapow said:
The very worrying thing is that we now know an awful lot of their 2008 lineup and it's fairly weak:

Mario Kart Wii
Wii Music
Disaster: DoC
Super Mario Stadium Baseball
Kirby
Animal Crossing
Common Sense Training

Fatal Frame IV is supposed to be coming out in summer in Japan, and that is Nintendo published, so there is a strong chance of it coming out in NA in fall as a core gamer title. And Nintendo is not unknown for announcing and releasing a title in the same year (see previous E3s during the GameCube era).

Grecco

Oxx said:
I hope they have something special out for Christmas.

After Twilight Princess and Galaxy the past two years it would be slightly disappointing not to have something high-profile and 'epic' in 2008.

Two Words

Kid Icarus

LevelNth

Banned
You know what I find amazing? The DS is the craziest, most successful uber-selling system since the forever, and the PSP, the second place system, is somehow also selling rather well, and looks like it could very well break 10m LTD when all is said and done.

What are we looking at here, 35m-ish handhelds sold for this HH gen in Japan? That's insane!

When's the last time, if ever, that one competitor has been so out-and-out in front, and yet the second place system still managed to perform this well in addition?

Tenbatsu

Jammy said:
This picture really says it all here about the Wii. Nintendo's got two huge multi-million sellers here, both of which appeal to completely different audiences - the millions and millions of die-hard Nintendo fans and the even larger (pun intended?) group of millions and millions of "non-gamers" that Nintendo has been able to tap into.

Nintendo's hugely successful now and that picture shows nothing but pure brilliance in design.

QFT

cvxfreak

fistfulofmetal said:
Are Japanese buying DMC3 in preparation for DMC4?

Pretty much.

With the latest string of high profile Capcom releases, Media Create and Dengeki charts seem to see previous releases of the series return to the charts. Phoenix Wright 2 returned to the charts both when 4 and 3 were released on DS. For whatever reason, the PS2 version of Biohazard 4 returned to the charts when Umbrella Chronicles was out (although this could be attributed to the movie as well).

Minsc

Gold Member
Mashing said:
Animal Crossing is a killer app in japan. Go look at the sales for the DS version.

Maybe, or is it just another case like Monster Hunter, where the game just does way better on handhelds.

There's no doubt it would sell over a million (eventually) in Japan alone just due to it's fanbase, but whether a Wii Animal Crossing could capture even half the sales of the DS version, I'm not sure. I'd be curious to know GCN numbers, but I don't expect them to be close to the DS.

LevelNth said:
You know what I find amazing? The DS is the craziest, most successful uber-selling system since the forever, and the PSP, the second place system, is somehow also selling rather well, and looks like it could very well break 10m LTD when all is said and done.

What are we looking at here, 35m-ish handhelds sold for this HH gen in Japan? That's insane!
It'll probably reach that sometime this year. Final for the whole generation could get to 50 million, though a lot depends on unknowns like hardware rereleases and when the successor systems will be announced.

When's the last time, if ever, that one competitor has been so out-and-out in front, and yet the second place system still managed to perform this well in addition?
There's never been a first place system as successful as DS nor a second place system as successful as PSP. Divide all their numbers thus far by two and it starts to look more like the last few console generations, except that Saturn/N64/GCN never got a second wind like PSP has recently.

Defuser

Vinnk said:
Plenty of copies of DMC4 on the shelves. I didn't see any of the bundles so maybe those sold out. Didn't matter though, Brawl overshadowed everything. Almost like Nintendo planned to upset the DMC4 launch...

:: ACK! Ninjas! ::
Poor Capcom, I'm damn sure Nintendo intended that.

schuelma

Defuser said:
Poor Capcom, I'm damn sure Nintendo intended that.

Or they delayed it a week so they would have enough supply to somewhat meet demand.

Top Bottom