• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/7 - 1/13 2008

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
apujanata said:
I believe it will save Wii hardcore gaming in Japan.

I think it may well take a dive soon after release.

apujanata

donny2112 said:
You mean like almost every other game that charts whether it's for the Wii or not?

You failed at context reading. Please see post # 500 for clue.
Almost is NOT a good keyword. Unlike dive, save.

Wii-za

apujanata said:
You failed at context reading. Please see post # 500 for clue.
Almost is NOT a good keyword. Unlike dive, save.

You mean #450, right?

btw...I think it can mark a big difference...

These threads sure die fast without Wii/PSP discussion eh? :lol

Well, lets have some amazon talk / next releases then...
http://amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=sv_vg_2

- #1 Brawl went up for pre-order again surprisingly, and its sold out (of preorders) already. Seems amazon was allocated a few more units than expected. Then comes Brawl's victims releasing 1/31 too:
- ToD DC limited edition #2, which will make it very front-loaded, not even due to being a Tales, a RPG and a PS2 game but because the fans will always pick up the LE. At least Namco is putting up 200k LE (normal edition seems to be 100k at most).
- Haruhi PS2 LE #3. Same again, just like Haruhi PSP or Lucky Star PS2 next week (1/24).
- DMC4 PS3 #4, 360 #19
- Disgaea 3 only #12, uhm...I smell danger here.
- Valkyrie of the Battlefield PS3 (SEGA 4/24) LE preorder went up, and its sold out already. Guess there are fans who want to pay 2k extra for the cheap tank, figurine and artbook.
- Some PSP models, Wii and Wii Fit sold at a premium price (resellers) due to amazon being sold out of them, as usual.

1/24 important releases:
#6 Lucky Star PS2 LE
#38 WE 2008 PSP
#50 Lucky Star PS2
#51 Yggdra Union PSP

I think Lucky Star is going to pull some awesome numbers first day due to the Limited Edition that its fans will get. Of course it won't expand much on the weekend or week after that, its appeal is the limited edition. I think we could be looking at 75k-100k first week.

What do you expect from WE PSP?
2005 - Launched in September, 88k first week, 244k LTD (40k The Best!)
2006 - Launched in December, 26k first week, 100k LTD
2007(2008) - Launched in January...
YSO guys seem to think that it'll do as good as the first one. I just don't know where they base such expectations. 4 versions have launched already, and this one is just like them, at least the Wii version is somehow original.

sphinx

the piano man
I am not sure if I actually read it somewhere or If my mind is making things up...

didn't nintendo already announced they will launch the black, red, etc. colored wiis somewhere around march in japan??

was there more to the info? Mario kart wii bundled with a red wii?

If anyone can set things straight , I'll be grateful.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
sphinx said:
I am not sure if I actually read it somewhere or If my mind is making things up...

didn't nintendo already announced they will launch the black, red, etc. colored wiis somewhere around march in japan??

was there more to the info? Mario kart wii bundled with a red wii?

If anyone can set things straight , I'll be grateful.

That was a fake Famitsu news leak I believe.

sphinx

the piano man
schuelma said:
That was a fake Famitsu news leak I believe.

pfft..>_<

it never stops amazing me that nintendo won't make a single, not even one move to increase enthusiasm as long as they can't catch up with demand worldwide. With Wii fit and Smash Bros targeting both the casual, new breed of gamers and the traditional nintendo hardcore gamers in Japan, I think we won't see colors or bundles anytime soon anywhere, not even in Japan where wii demand was at its lowest worldwide.

Now, if nintendo could reach the only sector of gamers they can't seem to reach, the traditional hardcore, I can't imagine the level of domination.

apujanata

sphinx said:
pfft..>_<

it never stops amazing me that nintendo won't make a single, not even one move to increase enthusiasm as long as they can't catch up with demand worldwide. With Wii fit and Smash Bros targeting both the casual, new breed of gamers and the traditional nintendo hardcore gamers in Japan, I think we won't see colors or bundles anytime soon anywhere, not even in Japan where wii demand was at its lowest worldwide.

Now, if nintendo could reach the only sector of gamers they can't seem to reach, the traditional hardcore, I can't imagine the level of domination.

It makes sense, from business point-of-view. With increased enthusiasm (probably by new color etc), you will only set yourself up for more unrealized potential sales (and profit). No company in their right mind will release new color or do bundles when they still have difficulty maintaining stock in the retail channel. I hope that by February or March, the stock level of Wii in US have returned to standard (means you can go to a store and pick them up), otherwise, I can see SSBB making those stock disappear again in March.

In Japan, I think there should be wii available by mid of January (if it was ever out-of-stock before in December).

Any feedback on Wii availability in Tokyo ?

So just looking at some software stuff today, I noticed that Mario & Sonic has beat the GCN and GBA Mario sports games, and should soon overtake DS's Mario Hoops. Its DS counterpart could give it some competition, though.
sphinx said:
it never stops amazing me that nintendo won't make a single, not even one move to increase enthusiasm as long as they can't catch up with demand worldwide.
Once Mario has depleted all the coins from a block, it's just a waste of his time to keep jumping and hitting it.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
JoshuaJSlone said:
Once Mario has depleted all the coins from a block, it's just a waste of his time to keep jumping and hitting it.

sorry mario, but the princess is at another castle (whorehouse)

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
davepoobond said:
sorry mario, but the princess is at another castle (whorehouse)

Someone needs to work on their mario jokes.

Anyways, Smash releases the same week as Devil May Cry 4 and Disgaea 3, right? I wonder how many pages that week's media create thread will be. :) (or then again, maybe half of the discussion will occcur when we get first day sales, if they're still released?)

AniHawk

It's been a while.

1. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
2. Grand Theft Auto IV
3. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
4. God of War: Chains of Olympus
5. Devil May Cry (it could happen) 4

NDS
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games - 8
Apollo Justice Ace Attorney - 3
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles - 3
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin - 2
Professor Layton - me

PSP
God of War: Chains of Olympus - 40
Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core - 7
Wild Arms XF - 2

Wii
Super Smash Bros Brawl - 270
Harvest Moon - 4
No More Heroes - 4
Dragon Quest Swords - 2
Endless Ocean - 2

Halo Wars - 25
Ninja Gaiden 2 - 12

PS3
Killzone 2 - 8
Metal Gear Solid 4 - 4
Little Big Planet - 2
Resistance 2 - 1

PS2
Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters - 4

PC
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King - 13
Starcraft 2 - 11
Spore - 3

Grand Theft Auto IV - 101 (69 360, 32 PS3)
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - 44 (29 360, 15 PS3)
Devil May Cry 4 - 38 (20 PS3, 18 360)
Turok - 35 (32 360, 3 PS3)
Mercenaries 2 - 16 (11 PS2, 5 360)
Burnout Paradise - 15 (9 360, 6 PS3)
Ghostbusters - 6 (2 Wii, 2 360, 1 PS3, 1 PS2)

Loudninja

OT but...

Sega Promotes Yakuza and Valkyrie
January 21, 2008 - Collectors of all things Sega are going to need to book a flight to Japan for this one. Sega Japan has announced a promotional campaign for its two big upcoming PlayStation 3 titles. To help push Yakuza 3 and Valkyrie of the Battlefield, the company will distribute a promotional set to those who purchase product from the Sega Direct e-commerce site, or those who sample the games at an upcoming demo event.

The set, titled "Mite Yonde Wakaru PS3 Sakitori Kit," includes a DVD and booklet. The booklet contains details on the two games in full color. As for the DVD, when played in a standard DVD player, it offers trailers of the two games. Play it in your PC or PS3, however, and you'll get to view HD versions of the trailers and gain access to some wallpapers.

Sega will produce 100,000 of these promotional sets. To make sure you get one, either purchase a product through Sega Direct, or make sure you're at one of the following locations at the right time:

Games Maya Kasai: 1/31, from 18:00 to 23:00
Yodobashi camera Shinjuku: 2/2, from 10:00 to 18:00
Sakuraya Shinjuku East: 2/2, from 12:00 to 18:00
Softmap Nanba: 2/2, from 11:00 to 18:00
Yodobashi Camera Sapporo: 2/9, from 12:00 to 18:00

Yakuza 3 hits Japan on March 6. It will be followed by Valkyrie of the Battlefield on April 24.

Atreides

AniHawk said:
It's been a while.

1. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
2. Grand Theft Auto IV
3. God of War: Chains of Olympus
4. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

5. Devil May Cry (it could happen) 4

Isn't it 44 for Star Wars and 40 for God of War? They should swap positions.

AniHawk

Chumly said:
Wow thats a shit ton of SSBB preorders. How many new preorders have you gotten in like the past week.
About 15. At its current rate, I think it'll wind up somewhere between 350-375 before all is said and done.

AniHawk

kottila said:
How many did Halo 3 have when that launched?
Halo 3 was the absolute biggest at our store with over 500 reservations. The second biggest was Halo 2 with 400 reservations. Looks like SSBB will end up third.

AniHawk

xaosslug said:
whoa, 1st PSP game to make NPD top 10 software charts in a while? Seems so.

...Well don't jump to conclusions here. This is only one store and to be honest, my coworkers have been enticing people with demos to get them to reserve the game (but only God of War). Same reason why the Turok number is so high as well.

AniHawk

Fredescu said:

I did a check, and I was the only one to reserve it (and I did so today since it sounds like the praise is legitimate and not Suda 51 fanslobber like what happened with Killer 7).

apujanata

AniHawk said:
Halo 3 was the absolute biggest at our store with over 500 reservations. The second biggest was Halo 2 with 400 reservations. Looks like SSBB will end up third.

If SSBB did end up with 350 - 375, that means it March (first month sales) could be 2.3 - 2.45 (calculating from 500 Halo 3 preorder converted into 3.3 Million NPD # for Halo 3).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
apujanata said:
If SSBB did end up with 350 - 375, that means it March (first month sales) could be 2.3 - 2.45 (calculating from 500 Halo 3 preorder converted into 3.3 Million NPD # for Halo 3).

I can't imagine Nintendo will ship that many copies, to be quite frank. They've already sent out warnings to Japan and some US retailers saying "stop selling pre-orders because your launch allocation barely covers them".

Lobster

Banned
Tideas said:
Could PSP hardware pass DS # this week?

Plausible anyone?

Very plausible.

DS has hit 20 million already..doing 50-70k from now on would still be rather impressive.

PSP is just jacking up for some reason.

The DS doesn't really need to outsell the PSP hardware-wise, when you've hit 20 million, somehow, you've got to start slowing down a little bit, and the PSP is in the best shape it has ever been in Japan, so I'd expect the PSP to start consistently outselling the DS until either a price drop or a new model is announced.

For now though, the DS will still have the lionshare of software sales, but I'm sure devs are taking notice of the recent PSP sales surge. It's too hard to ignore.

apujanata

Stumpokapow said:
I can't imagine Nintendo will ship that many copies, to be quite frank. They've already sent out warnings to Japan and some US retailers saying "stop selling pre-orders because your launch allocation barely covers them".

They should utilize that 1 month delay for US release to press more SSBB disc. Don't tell me they still have plastic shortage, even when the format is DVD, not mini DVD ?

Magicpaint said:
The DS doesn't really need to outsell the PSP hardware-wise, when you've hit 20 million, somehow, you've got to start slowing down a little bit, and the PSP is in the best shape it has ever been in Japan, so I'd expect the PSP to start consistently outselling the DS until either a price drop or a new model is announced.

For now though, the DS will still have the lionshare of software sales, but I'm sure devs are taking notice of the recent PSP sales surge. It's too hard to ignore.

As long as those H/W sales surge are accompanied by S/W sales surge, I am sure that devs will notice it.

Magicpaint said:

Very, very few people purchase the PSP as a (legitimate, non-pirate) gaming device, so I doubt they're that ready to rush to it.

Eteric Rice

DefectiveReject said:
I'd expect that the usual Nintendo fan wouldn't pre-order a game, ike a 360 fan would.....

Soccer moms even know what pre-ordering is??

I didn't.

Now I'm starting to wonder if I should have. >_>

2006&#24180;12&#26376;2&#26085;&#12398;&#30330;&#22770;&#12363;&#12425;&#32004;1&#24180;&#12391;500&#19975;&#21488;(~2008/01/20)
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1213144_1124.html

1. Wii Sports 2006/12/2/ 2663938
2. Wii Play 2006/12/2/ 2139084
3. Mario Party 8 2007/07/26/ 1153648
4. Wii Fit 2007/12/01/ 1113626
5. Super Mario Galaxy 2007/11/01/ 843691
Now we can calculate numbers for the last week. :)

Famitsu 01.14. - 01.20.2008
Wii Fit: 108.626 [1.113.626]
Wii Sports: 30.938 [2.663.938]
Wii Play: 19.084 [2.139.084]
Mario Galaxy: 16.691 [843.691]
Mario Party 8: 15.648 [1.153.648]

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This Wiifit 100K/week pattern seems to show Nintendo underestimated its success again.
If so, we won't see Wiifit in the West for a long time.

felipeko

marc^o^ said:
This Wiifit 100K/week pattern seems to show Nintendo underestimated its success again.
If so, we won't see Wiifit in the West for a long time.
It's not like 100k/week is not a HUGE number... Nintendo wouldn't be able to suply Wiis if they had more Wii Fits... So i don't think they understimated it...

AniHawk

apujanata said:

Well if these numbers actually meant anything, and barring shortages, you would also have to account for Halo 3 having two weeks and SSBB having about 3 or so.

Top Bottom