• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/7 - 1/13 2008

spwolf said:
pretty huge drop for everyone but PSP - was something new launched there?

Oh, and when do we expect streams crossing once again? Holidays are out.

That would kind of depend on which streams in particular you're referring to.

MisterHero

donny2112 said:
They haven't really started advertising for Brawl when it's less than two weeks away! How much lead time do you think they need? :lol

If they're having conferences every three months, January should have one. Maybe next week? Someone start a countdown thread.
:p
Sakurai's gonna have a panel at GDC, and that's in mid-February.

+Aliken+

I was wondering how do people think WE on Wii will sell?

I guess considering the user base of the Wii we could have some big numbers
Release planned for 02/21/08

spwolf said:
pretty huge drop for everyone but PSP - was something new launched there?

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week | Unit drop | % Drop
1. NDS   -    97,369 |   266,568 |   169,199 | 63%
2. PSP   -    96,159 |   218,234 |   [b]122,075 | 56%[/b]
3. WII   -    84,530 |   207,797 |   123,267 | 59%
4. PS3   -    38,907 |    64,183 |    25,276 | 39%
5. PS2   -    14,499 |    32,010 |    17,511 | 54%
6. 360   -     4,690 |     9,763 |     5,073 | 52%

?? PSP hardly escaped the post holiday drop. Not that I'm not hugely impressed with it's HW sales since the launch of the slim though - it's never been that low in Japan but it's had a massive boost through the end of last year.

Lobster

Banned
+Aliken+ said:

Depends if its marketed.

Brak

+Aliken+ said:

I'd be pleased if it sold half as much as the PS2 version. I think any more than that is a little too optimistic.

farnham

Banned
cvxfreak said:
I predict WE Wii won't match the PS3 version, and we'll have another debate on our hands.
it really depends on the marketing... if konami markets it well then we will see some nice numbers..

WE 6 FE on GC was kinda disappointing for Konami despite of shorter load times it sold like 50k.. same could happen to WE Wii... WE DS did kinda fail as well..

Jokeropia

Winning Eleven 08 might seem like old hat by the time the Wii version is out. Then again, the combined sales of the PS2, PS3 and 360 versions didn't match the PS2 sales of Winning Eleven 07 so maybe the fanbase has decreased or it's looking for something new.

ksamedi

Jokeropia said:
Winning Eleven 08 might seem like old hat by the time the Wii version is out.

Yes, I believe this too. It could be seen as the new version. I think it will be very interesting to see how it sells.

+Aliken+

farnham said:
it really depends on the marketing... if konami markets it well then we will see some nice numbers..

WE 6 FE on GC was kinda disappointing for Konami despite of shorter load times it sold like 50k.. same could happen to WE Wii... WE DS did kinda fail as well..

I don't think we should consider WE for GC.
The user base is quite different. This also goes for the DS version, WE DS is nothing to do with the home console versions in my eyes.

What where the sale figures for the PS3 and PS2 version?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
cvxfreak said:
I predict WE Wii won't match the PS3 version, and we'll have another debate on our hands.

Agree- It feels like a bomb to me. It's coming late, it has a radically different gameplay that WE veteran's won't like, but that gameplay also just looks too complicated for more casual players. It's going to get ugly.

+Aliken+

I feel like the only one that will see good sales for the Wii version... lol

What Famitsu will think will be important, and obviously how good it will be considering it is a real revolution.

But maybe that is why I have hopes, WE (PES) needs a drastic change and this maybe it.

Vinnk

+Aliken+ said:

Unless I start seeing some ads for it I think it is going to do quite badly. Almost everyone who was in the market for a 2008 WE game has it by now. If it was released at the same time it might have had a better chance but by now it is late to the party. In general people are often afraid of change and this control scheme is a BIG change. However if it gets good reviews and word of mouth it could lay the foundation for a very successful 2009 version.

Konami should reconsider their WE strategy, not only because of the numbers but the quality of the game. This round has been pretty, pretty poor. Thats going to bite them next year, I'm sure, at least in Europe where Fifa is also big.

Sales in Japan at least have been pretty good with PS2/PS3 nearly matching last year PS2 edition (which was helped a lot by the World Cup) and also counting it saw J League WE before the real WE (unlike last year), and the latest JLWE has been the best seller one EVER by a good mile.

schuelma

Vinnk said:
Unless I start seeing some ads for it I think it is going to do quite badly. Almost everyone who was in the market for a 2008 WE game has it by now. If it was released at the same time it might have had a better chance but by now it is late to the party. In general people are often afraid of change and this control scheme is a BIG change. However if it gets good reviews and word of mouth it could lay the foundation for a very successful 2009 version.

Hey Vinnk, has Smash Bros. advertising started yet?

donny2112

farnham said:
http://ruliweb2.empas.com/ruliboard/read.htm?main=nin&table=game_nin02&page=1&left=b&num=14313

Fire Emblem sold 30k in the last few month and is now at 180k
Big Brain Academy sold 30k in the last few month and is now at 270k
Pokemon Battle Revolution sold 40k in the last few month and is now at 340k

That's all from the Famitsu 2007 Top 100, which we already have, but thanks, anyways.

+Aliken+ said:

It's after Brawl, so it will be a good game to see if core games are picking up following Brawl's release. Here's how the GCN versions did.

Code:
GCN World Soccer Winning Eleven 6 Final Evolution  6K ...

I think the Wii version has a shot at beating it.

Vinnk

schuelma said:
Hey Vinnk, has Smash Bros. advertising started yet?

Nope. At least not in my town. Nothing in store at all.

However I have not watched any Japanese TV in about 2 weeks so I can't really say whether or not the ads are getting played.

schuelma

Vinnk said:

However I have not watched any Japanese TV in about 2 weeks so I can't really say whether or not the ads are getting played.

Christ. If only Nintendo would hype their core games as much as they hype the "Wii ___" games.

Kandinsky

+Aliken+ said:

15k first week and about 40k lifetime.

We Wii(lol) will bomb. It has the same perrenial problem as most of the multi Wii games. It might be to different for the hardcore fans(which have clearly established themselves already), it's coming out too late and it might be too hard towards the casuals.

The control scheme seems to be really RTS like, and the hardcores tend to be some of the most stubborn people around.

It really does depend on how magical Konami can market the thing and convince the hardcores to switch(almost impossible) and make sure the game is actually well done. In short, it will bomb.

spwolf

lochnesssnowman said:
Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week | Unit drop | % Drop
1. NDS   -    97,369 |   266,568 |   169,199 | 63%
2. PSP   -    96,159 |   218,234 |   [b]122,075 | 56%[/b]
3. WII   -    84,530 |   207,797 |   123,267 | 59%
4. PS3   -    38,907 |    64,183 |    25,276 | 39%
5. PS2   -    14,499 |    32,010 |    17,511 | 54%
6. 360   -     4,690 |     9,763 |     5,073 | 52%

?? PSP hardly escaped the post holiday drop. Not that I'm not hugely impressed with it's HW sales since the launch of the slim though - it's never been that low in Japan but it's had a massive boost through the end of last year.

eh, 47,000 lead between NDS and PSP shrunk to 1200 units in a week.

I guess with nobody answering my question - nothing new got out on PSP? Thats pretty strange.

ksamedi

schuelma said:
Christ. If only Nintendo would hype their core games as much as they hype the "Wii ___" games.

Probably because it already sold out before launch. No need to advertise when no one is going to be able to buy it for a few days.

Vinnk

Eteric Rice said:
Does anyone advertise ANYTHING on the Wii?

God.

-Wii Sports, before it came out, had great promotion
-Mario Party 8 was pushed well in stores and on TV
-Dragon Quest Swords had very nice advertising
-Mario Galaxy got some good add before it came out and some GREAT ads a few weeks after it was out.
-Biohazard:UC had pretty good flyers and several of my local stores got trailer DVDs that were quite impressive.
-WiiFit had a massive campaign in the big cities and information books available everywhere else.

Other than that, I can't really think of any Wii games pushed much.

schuelma

ksamedi said:
Probably because it already sold out before launch. No need to advertise when no one is going to be able to buy it for a few days.

Yeah, I'm sure that's the reason.

Vinnk said:
-Mario Galaxy got some good add before it came out and some GREAT ads a few weeks after it was out.
-Biohazard:UC had pretty good flyers and several of my local stores got trailer DVDs that were quite impressive.
-WiiFit had a massive campaign in the big cities and information books available everywhere else.

And all these games sold at least decently. Interesting.

I'm gonna be optimistic and wager 80-100k lifetime for WE Wii.

Jokeropia

spwolf said:
DS's drop was only 7% bigger than the PSP drop, and MC might very well have overshot PSP by a bit this week. (Famitsu shows a 20k advantage for DS.)

spwolf

Jokeropia said:
DS's drop was only 7% bigger than the PSP drop, and MC might very well have overshot PSP by a bit this week. (Famitsu shows a 20k advantage for DS.)

Oh really? So MC is wrong now? I thought they are much better than Famitsu?

spwolf said:

Both are considered equally valid around these parts. Which you'd know if you frequented MC threads with any regularity. *shrugs*

Narag

spwolf said:

Neither is really considered more correct than the other iirc. Its just MC had a reliable weekly posting time so it was used.

Vinnk said:

Smash Bros., has a lot of [8 I think] adverts in the japanese TV and the DOJO is a very good online promotion. ^^

Busaiku

spwolf said:
Both are about as credible as each other, but there are faults in both trackers.
I can only think of one example at the moment, but MC did track the GC to be ahead of Nintendo's actual shipped numbers. I'm sure Famitsu had some similar problems at one point as well (I just don't know of them).

Jokeropia

spwolf said:
What they said. MC might be wrong just as Famitsu might be wrong, we don't know who's closer to the truth.

spwolf said:

I guess with nobody answering my question - nothing new got out on PSP? Thats pretty strange.
Nothing substantial. The hardware is selling independent of software. Sony seems to have gotten their wish - the PSP is selling for its multimedia features, not its games software. Good for Sony (as they profit on the hardware), generally bad for third parties, which results in it being bad for those of us that use the system primarily to play PSP games.

We're going to see a couple of other systems follow this path if shit doesn't change.

ethelred

Segata Sanshiro said:
Nothing substantial. The hardware is selling independent of software. Sony seems to have gotten their wish - the PSP is selling for its multimedia features, not its games software. Good for Sony (as they profit on the hardware), generally bad for third parties, which results in it being bad for those of us that use the system primarily to play PSP games.

We're going to see a couple of other systems follow this path if shit doesn't change.

I wonder which ones! Please tell us, Segs!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
+Aliken+ said:

Dash Kappei said:
It'll do shit.

Too little, too late.

It's not quite same as the Winning Eleven 6 situation on Gamecube (Japan only and for good reason) or We/PES07 on DS but you can be sure that everyone interested in the game as already bought it on their platform of choice (Wii only owners are definitely not as interested in the series obviously) and this is not the kind of game a lot of fans will double dip for, even if this version of the game's gonna be quite different (In fact, I think that Seabass decision to completely avoid an option for classic controls will do more to hurt his sales than the new gameplay will do to help 'em).

In the end, I think we can argue what the definition of "doing shit" for this game is.
Waiting to hear Konami sales expectations.

It can be a start for a next iteration timely release tho, we can only hope.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
In regards to PES2008 Wii, I think Konami should either

A) Sell the game at a budget price
B) Delay and roster/update the game and release it along side of the other PES games for next season

Tiger Woods '07 for Wii was a miracle in itself, but as a result a lot of people didn't buy '08 when it came out 5-6 months later. It's hard to NOT see the same situation with PES2008.

donny2112

spwolf said:
nothing new got out on PSP? Thats pretty strange.

The PSP's hardware sales are not primarily driven by UMD games. Therefore the absence of new games being released has little bearing on what its hardware levels are.

Edit:
As Segata said.

Loudninja said:
also why did it go up?

Shortages last week.

Narag said:
Its just MC had an earlier weekly posting time so it was used.

Fixed.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Vinnk said:

What the hell? Maybe after all the shit Sakurai added in the game, Nintendo didn't have any money left to advertise..

Since we got Famitsu 2007 hardware totals, I thought we could use this with previously known numbers to find out what the actual numbers were for the two weeks they combined. We already had the leaked rounded version, but this would be the more exact version. Things calculated fine, and basically matched the leaked rounded version. Note, though, that since these required the sum of the rest of the year, if I have anything as simple as an off-by-1 error anywhere in the year, these values will also end up affected.

Week of 2007-12-24
Wii: 161,520
DSL: 194,816
PS2: 30,156
PS3: 49,392
PSP: 157,984
X360: 9,143

Week of 2007-12-31
Wii: 242,802
DSL: 311,549
PS2: 34,864
PS3: 69,665
PSP: 189,289
X360: 12,891

Afraid there's nothing I can do about the GBASP and GBM numbers.

Top Bottom