• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/7 - 1/13 2008

DayShallCome said:
Games just simply do not sell on PSP. Regardless of HW numbers.

Repeated statements completely downplaying PSP SW sales are starting to sound really retarded. Games in certain specific genres (mainly hardcore games, such as Anime, RPG and MHP-like stuff) do sell well on PSP, and are actually growing since the launch of PSP Slim, especially for the 3rd parties. It just lacks the quantities and varieties in all game genres as a whole when compared with NDS.

HK-47 said:
Whats added in 2G? Is it a whole new game or like a bonus content edition?
Have you ever played MH? Do you think any of them is a whole new game when compared to the first one?

It's always the same base game with added content.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
psp game sales can only go up with more hardware out there.

even if its 1% of each week's number, its still more.

its why we see so many DS games on the charts -- there's practically 30 million in Japan alone, after all, of course its going to dominate over a smaller userbase.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
davepoobond said:

its why we see so many DS games on the charts -- there's practically 30 million in Japan alone, after all, of course its going to dominate over a smaller userbase.

Which doesnt help PSP any

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
davepoobond said:
game sales going up = not good for psp?

No, using DS's large userbase as an excuse.

HW sales going up should help but we havent really seen much of that happening

biocat

I don't know if anyone else has said this, don't have time to check now, but Strikers has been discounted recently at Bic Camera - saw a pile of them in a bargain bin just yesterday - and Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G ads have been popping up everywhere which probably caused the MHP2 sales spike.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
biocat said:
I don't know if anyone else has said this, don't have time to check now, but Strikers has been discounted recently at Bic Camera - saw a pile of them in a bargain bin just yesterday - and Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G ads have been popping up everywhere which probably caused the MHP2 sales spike.

That explains Strikers jump in sales

Btw, in the Dengeki Top50:
47 (64△) PSP METAL GEAR SOLID PORTABLE OPS+
48 (67△) PSP Grand Theft Auto Vice City Stories
49 (87△) PSP Monster Hunter Portable 【PSP the Best】

MHP, a million is just 40k away! go go go :p

For those that didn't believe COD4 sold out situation...
44 (143△) Xbox 360 Call of Duty 4

ethelred said:
Portable Tales game sales:
Code:
Tales of Eternia 		PSP 	249,173
Tales of the World: Radiant 	PSP 	[B]214,128[/B]
Tales of Innocence		NDS	196,913
Tales of the Tempest		NDS 	196,073
Tales of the World: ND 2	GBA 	186,413
Tales of Phantasia: ND 1	GB  	154,602
Tales of Phantasia	 	GBA 	134,608
Tales of Destiny 2		PSP 	[B]113,984[/B]
Tales of the World: ND 3 	GBA 	113,414
Tales of Phantasia FVE		PSP 	111,034
Tales of the World: Summoner	GBA 	52,102
updated!

ethelred said:
Based on?

Edit: Ah, I see. The numbers have been updated. I see where they're getting ToD2 from, but not Radiant Mythology.
Me from the PSP Top20 for the year, YSO has it too but hasn't updated these numbers yet (see ToD2 case).

2006 127855
2007 86,273 / 214,128

Also from the Top20

Tales of Destiny 2 - 114,757 (YSO: 113,984)

ethelred

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Me from the PSP Top20 for the year, YSO has it too but hasn't updated these numbers yet (see ToD2 case).

2006 127855
2007 86,273 / 214,128

Also from the Top20

Tales of Destiny 2 - 114,757 (YSO: 113,984)

Nifty. I totally missed that we got a PSP Top 20 for 2007. I'll update my numbers accordingly.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
HK-47 said:
No, using DS's large userbase as an excuse.

HW sales going up should help but we havent really seen much of that happening

because just as it is plain to see that DS games cover the charts almost exclusively, it is also safe to assume that we don't see the whole picture because of it, which makes us wait until financial quarters are over to see any numbers about psp software as a whole

reilo said:
People were predicting 500K first week and massive legs just a month prior to SMGs release. The game has picked up massive steam, but I don't think we need to go over the massive "omg SMG is a bomb" posts, do we?
That's not what he was saying. As is said I don't remember anyone saying this would outsell WiiSports.

TTP said:
Who knows. As far as I know, MH strenght is its online component (which PS3 could support and expand quite a bit), plus PSP-PS3 connectivity would allow some hot stuff that would lure PSP owners towards the PS3.

Edit: and whatever the sales of the console versions, MH is still a well known franchise is Japan. And god knows how much the PS3 needs some more of that.
I thought the PSP versions aren't even online (without a work-around). Seeing that these versions sold way better I don't think the online component is the main attraction (esp. considering we're talking about Japan.

gketter said:
wow the PSP is closing the gap. I wonder if it'll pass the DS (w/o a new color or any other sales spike move)
:lol not that stuff again. It can't close the gap if it sells less.

cvxfreak said:
Cue the Wii third party criticisms/arguments.
Did anyone expect those two to do better? Satsr sold poorly in Japan, just like TC did. Judging by those sell-through numbers both had a very small shipment.

ziran

davepoobond said:

I agree, on some titles, PSP sw sales should see an increase in 2008, but I'm not sure if this is likely to be across the board when a high profile game like MinGolP2 has had disappointing sales. Overall though, per title, I am expecting an improvement.

apujanata said:
What do you think will happen in 2008 ? Share your thought on PSP vs DS in 2008.
For Nintendo, another really strong year imo. Wii Fit is likely to add to Wii Sports creating two really compelling reasons to buy the system (and I think they're amazing games so deserve the success :). I think SSBB, Wii Music, MK Wii and Animal Crossing Wii will add to this consistent system selling line-up over the year, making Wii even more appealing, and if MH3 makes it this year, it could be a major success for Capcom and expand on MH2 PS2's sales. I'm also expecting more, significant 3rd party announcements.

DS, I expect healthy sw and hw sales throughout the year, with the possibility of a redesign, which would send its hw sales to previous highs. We could also see more innovative sw from Nintendo or a 3rd Party, which could also boost interest.

For Sony, continued troubles for sw sales overall, and PS3. The real problem they face in Japan is the games associated with their systems, and titles that were big sellers for 3rd parties in the region, have a continuing, overall, declining trend. PS2 sw sales continue to drop and they're not being topped up by PSP or PS3. 3rd parties are likely having to spend far more development dollars to get a lower return, I expect they've been re-evaluating their entire strategy for all Sony systems for a good while now.

For PSP specifically, even though its hw sales have seen a huge boost, the problem I see is getting new titles made in the light of the much more viable DS, and PS3 losing its bargaining power in terms of providing 3rd parties with the next PS2. Not only does DS sw sell more but it's cheaper to develop and has a much bigger worldwide audience. DS was a risk for Nintendo but as we're seeing now the system has been successful, this high risk has given a high level of advantages.

A possible solution may be spreading costs between a PSP/Wii game, which certainly has its appeal, but I just don't see it being successful in a broad sense and developers could suffer if they tread this route imo. Wii titles need to built for the system for big successes imo, and 3rd parties need to realise the market has changed. However, if Sony is prepared to fund some major PSP development it could be good for 3rd parties and provide decent sales.

360's finished. It's had a terrible holiday season in Japan and I can't see anything on the horizon to help it.

EDIT-
Phife Dawg said:
...I don't remember anyone saying this would outsell WiiSports.
Yeah, I must have missed the SMG outselling Wii Sports comments, I'm sure something so ludicrous would've been jumped on. Does anyone have a link?

farnham

Banned
DS situation is not going to change

cheap to develop = high sales = win

Wii situation is likely to turn into a DS situation in 05

many nintendo games not so many thirdparty games

of course this is going to change as Nintendo is going with their second tier software batch (starfox, mario sports, f zero and such)

Jonnyram

Ynos Yrros said:
Have you ever played MH? Do you think any of them is a whole new game when compared to the first one?

It's always the same base game with added content.
Just like Devil May Cry, Ace Combat, Hot Shots Golf, Metal Gear Solid, etc. etc.

AnimeTheme said:
Repeated statements completely downplaying PSP SW sales are starting to sound really retarded.

It's... really not. I've even been an advocate for PSP as a good platform for certain titles and one that can be made to work for you if you put the effort in, but... it's really not legitimate to defend the software performance in general. Its successes are heavily localized -- the picture looks wildly different when you take MH and FF7 out of the picture because titles that aren't those two games do so much more poorly.

I mean, really. I'm criticizing the Wii's software sales, quite fairly in my opinion, so the PSP is absolutely fair game as well.

D.Lo

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Not officially, but I still believe part of the reason they chose the wii was because psp to wii ports aren't that uncommon, so they can design it for the PSP, toss in some motion controls for the MH3, then just wait till they can make some real money with MHP3.
Kinda bizarre that the big Japanese third party Wii 'defection' is the one that would make much more sense on another platform. Outside MH PSP software sales have been pretty pitiful, but MH3 (proper, not MH3P) on PSP is the closest ever thing to a slam dunk its crazy it hasn't happened. Surely RE5 on Wii (at least a version) and MH3 to PSP makes much, much more sense.

charlequin said:
It's... really not. I've even been an advocate for PSP as a good platform for certain titles and one that can be made to work for you if you put the effort in, but... it's really not legitimate to defend the software performance in general. Its successes are heavily localized -- the picture looks wildly different when you take MH and FF7 out of the picture because titles that aren't those two games do so much more poorly
Well, those games have sold 3.2 million between them, or ~20% of the console's total software sales, so it's not quite that bad. The top three DS games (Pokemon, Brain 2, NSMB) have sold 15 million, or ~17% of that console's total software sales as well.

PSP's problem isn't a top heavy software chart as much as poor sales all round compared to the DS. Only four PSP games have sold over 500k (3 third party), compared to 40 for the DS (14 third party).

Does anyone have that cool comparison of DQS sales to the sales of other DQ spinoffs (or even main games?)?

That would be swell.

apujanata

D.Lo said:
Kinda bizarre that the big Japanese third party Wii 'defection' is the one that would make much more sense on another platform. Outside MH PSP software sales have been pretty pitiful, but MH3 (proper, not MH3P) on PSP is the closest ever thing to a slam dunk its crazy it hasn't happened. Surely RE5 on Wii (at least a version) and MH3 to PSP makes much, much more sense.

Well, those games have sold 3.2 million between them, or ~20% of the console's total software sales, so it's not quite that bad. The top three DS games (Pokemon, Brain 2, NSMB) have sold 15 million, or ~17% of that console's total software sales as well.

PSP's problem isn't a top heavy software chart as much as poor sales all round compared to the DS. Only four PSP games have sold over 500k (3 third party), compared to 40 for the DS (14 third party).

I didn't check whether your % is valid or not, but 2 games @ 20% = 10% each, while 3 games @ 17% = 6% each, which differ significantly (6% to 10% means 65% increase from 6%).

ksamedi

charlequin said:
It's... really not. I've even been an advocate for PSP as a good platform for certain titles and one that can be made to work for you if you put the effort in, but... it's really not legitimate to defend the software performance in general. Its successes are heavily localized -- the picture looks wildly different when you take MH and FF7 out of the picture because titles that aren't those two games do so much more poorly.

I mean, really. I'm criticizing the Wii's software sales, quite fairly in my opinion, so the PSP is absolutely fair game as well.

I think that the DS is the main platform for handheld sales in Japan but the occasional big PSP exclusive can draw the crowd away from the DS and PS2 for a while. I think that the PSP needs some more interesting and well made software to draw a crowd. I don't know of a particular title that really bombed on the PSP, there just isn't that many interesting PSP titles to buy (from a sales perspective).

ksamedi said:
I think that the DS is the main platform for handheld sales in Japan but the occasional big PSP exclusive can draw the crowd away from the DS and PS2 for a while. I think that the PSP needs some more interesting and well made software to draw a crowd. I don't know of a particular title that really bombed on the PSP, there just isn't that many interesting PSP titles to buy (from a sales perspective).
You just have to look at most titles in 2005 and 2006. Launch titles did fine, and titles since the Slim release too.

Since September in fact, I think I can only list Mingol P2, GTA VCS and Silent Hill 0 to those that didnt match expectations. We could look at reasons though, Mingol P2 has been overshadowed by Mingol5, but has made half Mingol P1 original release LTD already. Maybe it has long legs. GTA VCS came on both PS2 and PSP at the same time, and bombed on them...meanwhile GTA LCS did fine on PSP and the PS2 edition release later did bomb. I think Capcom should have spaced them a little more, not only VCS and LCS but the PS2 and PSP editions. GTA overload in Japan this year imo. Finally, SH0 first week was half SH4 first week, considering its a spinoff, made by a western company, something challenging as a portable horror game is plus being on a 2nd position console rather than the leading console can all be attributed to this.

The good news for PSP is that its seeing healthy hardware sales and that the games released now are doing good. Bad news is that new games released for PSP are very scarce, and lots of them consist of PS2 ports or multiplatform games, thus its hardware sales are overshadowing its software sales. But hey, maybe its building a more active fanbase than before and titles released from now on continue to do fine thus it gets more support. Sounds unlikely that its going to get a massive change of support just because of its hardware sales though.

ksamedi

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
You just have to look at most titles in 2005 and 2006. Launch titles did fine, and titles since the Slim release too.

Since September in fact, I think I can only list Mingol P2, GTA VCS and Silent Hill 0 to those that didnt match expectations. We could look at reasons though, Mingol P2 has been overshadowed by Mingol5, but has made half Mingol P1 original release LTD already. Maybe it has long legs. GTA VCS came on both PS2 and PSP at the same time, and bombed on them...meanwhile GTA LCS did fine on PSP and the PS2 edition release later did bomb. I think Capcom should have spaced them a little more, not only VCS and LCS but the PS2 and PSP editions. GTA overload in Japan this year imo. Finally, SH0 first week was half SH4 first week, considering its a spinoff, made by a western company, something challenging as a portable horror game is plus being on a 2nd position console rather than the leading console can all be attributed to this.

The good news for PSP is that its seeing healthy hardware sales and that the games released now are doing good. Bad news is that new games released for PSP are very scarce, and lots of them consist of PS2 ports or multiplatform games, thus its hardware sales are overshadowing its software sales. But hey, maybe its building a more active fanbase than before and titles released from now on continue to do fine thus it gets more support. Sounds unlikely that its going to get a massive change of support just because of its hardware sales though.

I think its unfortunate for the PSP that its hardware sales boomed at this stage in its life cycle. Now the Japanese developers abandoned the system for the DS and it will take a good while for some big high quality games to be made again. If it can keep on selling like this I think that there will be a software peak again in about 2 years. The main platform for handhelds will always be the DS though, its going for 30 million.

donny2112

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Since September in fact, I think I can only list Mingol P2, GTA VCS and Silent Hill 0 to those that didnt match expectations.

Just because I wanted to, I took a look at all games released for the PSP/WII since September 1 in Japan that charted or were leaked, ordered by sales.

PSP (30), WII (38)

1-4, WII leads (Wii Fit, SMG, M&S, RE:UC vs. CC:FFVII, Gundam, MGS:pO+, MnGP2)
5-20, PSP leads (ranging from 7.5K - 161K)
21, tied (6.9K each)
22-, WII leads

They both have the same number of games > 100K and > 50K. 1-4 on WII are all greater than #2 on PSP.

Jammy

Banned
Those are good first-day sales for Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, especially at a time like this with the Wii game already being out and it being post-holidays. I remember when everybody laughed at the Wii game's reported 15,000 first-day sales. Now that game is nearing 500,000 and should pretty easily hit 600,000. This is such a huge game for Sega.

I'm not sure if this applies as much to Japan as it does to the U.S. (I'm pretty sure it might be similar, though), but Nintendo sent out a PR last night after the NPD's came out saying something that 25 of the top 30 best-selling handheld games were for DS and that two more were for GBA.

Now if that doesn't say volumes about software, then I don't know what does.

Jokeropia

Jammy said:
I'm not sure if this applies as much to Japan as it does to the U.S. (I'm pretty sure it might be similar, though), but Nintendo sent out a PR last night after the NPD's came out saying something that 25 of the top 30 best-selling handheld games were for DS and that two more were for GBA.
In Japan the 2007 handheld top 30 (Famitsu) consists of 28 DS games and 2 PSP games.

ethelred said:
Not a miss at all. Most of the people who, every time a positive comment is made about the PSP, pipe up to say "but the software! but it's not really a gaming system!" are the same people who oooh and aaaah over the DS having so many million sellers -- you never hear them suggest that adjusted lists need to be created taking out Brain Age, Brain Age 2, English Training, Common Sense Training, Big Brain Academy, or Nintendogs. They never stop sucking Yamauchi's rod long enough to reflect that when they say things like "third parties didn't contribute to the DS's rise at all; it was all brought about by Nintendo innovatively releasing Brain Age and Puppy Training," they're acknowleding the massive role non-gaming applications played in their preferred system's success. And let's not even touch on the enormity of Wii's sales being driven by things that are barely (if at all) classifiable as games.
So DS's success is thanks to non-game software, while PSP's success is thanks to non-software.
AnimeTheme said:
Repeated statements completely downplaying PSP SW sales are starting to sound really retarded.
Looking at the most recent Famitsu software pie, this was one of PSP's strongest software periods. It was still quadrupled by DS, doubled by Wii, and beaten by PS2.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Man, Nintendo has to have a conference or something soon right? They have no firm release dates past SSBB for the Wii.

donny2112

schuelma said:
Man, Nintendo has to have a conference or something soon right? They have no firm release dates past SSBB for the Wii.

They haven't really started advertising for Brawl when it's less than two weeks away! How much lead time do you think they need? :lol

If they're having conferences every three months, January should have one. Maybe next week? Someone start a countdown thread.
:p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
donny2112 said:
If they're having conferences every three months, January should have one. Maybe next week? Someone start a countdown thread.
:p

Jonnyram claimed there was one earlier this week where they showed Soma Bringer. There weren't any other details and there's no other new info on any of the Nintendo sites.

D.Lo

apujanata said:
I didn't check whether your % is valid or not, but 2 games @ 20% = 10% each, while 3 games @ 17% = 6% each, which differ significantly (6% to 10% means 65% increase from 6%).
No, I counted three games for PSP as well - Monster Hunter 1 (including budget re-release), Monster Hunter 2, and Crisis Core. So the top three PSP games have sold a similar percentage of the total software sales as the top three of the DS. Although the DS sales (top three and total) are around five to six times higher then PSP total. Which is the point - the PSP isn't any more top heavy, but software sales all round are a mere fraction of the DSes.

scitek said:
The Japanese buy Call of Duty games when they aren't killing themselves in them.
Which CoD game was located in the pacific theatre? I guess the other CoD games where you kill loads of Germans and their European/African allies sold well in Japan too?

gketter said:
I wasn't talking overall sales. What i meant was the weekly sales lead of DS of PSP was growing smaller.
It's an amazing development but "closing the gap" doesn't fit it.

spwolf

pretty huge drop for everyone but PSP - was something new launched there?

Oh, and when do we expect streams crossing once again? Holidays are out.

Top Bottom