• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/7 - 1/13 2008

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
_Alkaline_ said:
Could we possibly get an updated Mario chart? I think it is time.

Yep, I'll do that once I manage to get home or early tomorrow at work. I had intended on doing it last week but I had missed the actual post with the NSMB LTD update. Unfortunately, Galaxy doesn't make it anywhere near the "games selling well enough to have their sprites on the graph" part.

Lobster

Banned
ksamedi said:
I think 2008 and beyond will be the time for sequals on the DS. I'm surprised that Nintendo has created so few sequals for there hit properties on the DS. I'm sure another Brain Training title would do millions, New Super Mario Bros 2 could do amazing numbers as well, not to forget Nintendogs 2, General knowledge training 2, Cook book 2, Yoshi island 2, Zelda PH 2, Animal Crossing 2, Mario Kart DS 2 and more. All potential hits.

2008=year of DQIX.

tanod

when is my burrito
Cheesemeister said:
Hmm, I dunno... Maybe if more people want to see this.

I don't remember it charting. Check the October MC threads from last year.

I'd like to see a "Last Year" column in the hardware numbers. Especially now that they've been out over a year now.

Stumpokapow said:
Yep, I'll do that once I manage to get home or early tomorrow at work. I had intended on doing it last week but I had missed the actual post with the NSMB LTD update. Unfortunately, Galaxy doesn't make it anywhere near the "games selling well enough to have their sprites on the graph" part.

Thanks!

KINGMOKU

Frillen said:
It's a pitty that the PSP is not a gaming system though.
Fixed that for ya'.

The PSP would be awesome competition for the DS, if it sold software, anywhere.

Does anyone know how it stacks up against other portable media devices, such as the ipod, and Zune?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
moku said:
Fixed that for ya'.

Does anyone know how it stacks up against other portable media devices, such as the ipod, and Zune?

In general, yes, PSP software is bad. But it has shown it can support high profile games pretty well.

ccbfan

schuelma said:
In general, yes, PSP software is bad. But it has shown it can support high profile games pretty well.

Hey it does have the best selling third party game this gen and its a franchise that was relatively unknown until it hit the PSP. So no franchise coattailing there so at least thats something as it prepares to get absolutely destroyed by DQIX.

Jammy

Banned
Great Wii hardware sales to back up the great software sales. 11 games in the top 50 is great. RE: UC is hanging in there and is on track to well surpass Capcom's expectations.

I'm curious as to what figures we'll get the week or two when SSBB releases and potentially more consoles are shipped.

DS needs new colors or more games. All the support on the system now seems to be from third parties (big titles, however) like Dragon Quest IX, Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword, Final Fantasy IV, Professor Layton 2, etc. As people have asked before... Where's the big-name sequels? Brain Age 3, New Super Mario Bros. 2, and more would all tear the whole of Japan down.

Kiriku said:
PSP killed pacman pie chart
That's pessimist talk. An optimist would say it's brought the Sony-only Pac chart to life.
test11pacsony.php

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
Oh snarf. New Famitsu hardware and software data is up, and they did indeed combine the last week of 2007 and the first week of 2008.

We have non-rounded LTDs for 1-30 for the week ending 20071230 with the exception of PS3 COD4. We may be able to get that from January's Top 20 with LTDs, though.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
ksamedi said:
I think 2008 and beyond will be the time for sequals on the DS. I'm surprised that Nintendo has created so few sequals for there hit properties on the DS. I'm sure another Brain Training title would do millions, New Super Mario Bros 2 could do amazing numbers as well, not to forget Nintendogs 2, General knowledge training 2, Cook book 2, Yoshi island 2, Zelda PH 2, Animal Crossing 2, Mario Kart DS 2 and more. All potential hits.

Don't forget Pokemon Quartz...

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
JoshuaJSlone said:
That's pessimist talk. An optimist would say it's brought the Sony-only Pac chart to life.
test11pacsony.php

Your PS2 numbers are wrong there, bud.

Anth

moku said:
Fixed that for ya'.

That it doesn't sell games doesn't mean that people don't play games on it.

NeoUltima

NDS 97,369
PSP 96,159
8bomb2h.gif

Was there a new color this week? If not, big congratulations to Sony. PSP-2000 really turned things around for the system. Between increased PSP sales, strong holiday Ps2 sales, and speedy-cost reduction on Ps3, SCE might just be starting to turn a profit again.

donny2112 said:
We have non-rounded LTDs for 1-30 for the week ending 20071230 with the exception of PS3 COD4. We may be able to get that from January's Top 20 with LTDs, though.
Oh? I'll have to look back on them; I mostly tend to ignore the early stuff.
reilo said:
Your PS2 numbers are wrong there, bud.
Ahh! Fixed. Now PSP is even chompier.

EDIT: Oh, and since I don't think it's been posted yet, here's Famitsu's software pie data for the combined weeks of 2007-12-24 and 2007-12-31.

DS: 47.8
Wii: 23.3
PS2: 12.5
PSP: 10.7
PS3: 3.7
X360: 1.7
Other: 0.3

botticus

Jammy said:
Great Wii hardware sales to back up the great software sales. 11 games in the top 50 is great. RE: UC is hanging in there and is on track to well surpass Capcom's expectations.

I'm curious as to what figures we'll get the week or two when SSBB releases and potentially more consoles are shipped.

DS needs new colors or more games. All the support on the system now seems to be from third parties (big titles, however) like Dragon Quest IX, Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword, Final Fantasy IV, Professor Layton 2, etc. As people have asked before... Where's the big-name sequels? Brain Age 3, New Super Mario Bros. 2, and more would all tear the whole of Japan down.
Some would say Nintendo is giving third parties some breathing room. Others would say they're failing to support their platform to realize its full potential.

Grecco

Doesnt Nintendo occasionally have a Jan-March thing where they show off new stuff? If i recall the GBASP was announced in a January right? Or was it Febuary?

Anyways. its about time for the DS slim

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Grecco said:
Doesnt Nintendo occasionally have a Jan-March thing where they show off new stuff? If i recall the GBASP was announced in a January right? Or was it Febuary?

Nintendo needs a conference to announce some goddamned games.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
schuelma said:
Nintendo needs a conference to announce some goddamned games.

They'll announce something, but it won't be any damn games.

Lightning

Banned
Question for the Japan boffins around here.

When do sales in Japan go back to normal? These numbers still look kinda high... I want to find out what the PS3 levels at, it better not be 10k again...

Grecco

reilo said:
They'll announce something, but it won't be any damn games.

They stopped making games. All they will have now is a Diet Channel and a Fit Guru Channel on the Wii Ware page to go with the Wii Fit craze

Grecco said:

I don't recall if there's a regularly scheduled thing, but GBASP and DSL were both first shown in January.
Lightning said:
Question for the Japan boffins around here.

When do sales in Japan go back to normal? These numbers still look kinda high...
Here's an image of total weekly hardware sales from Media Create for the last several years. It looks like usually things continue to slide for a few more weeks, but last year things stayed at about their week-2 rates, probably due to the supply situation with DS and Wii.

Novid

Banned
NeoUltima said:
8bomb2h.gif

Was there a new color this week? If not, big congratulations to Sony. PSP-2000 really turned things around for the system. Between increased PSP sales, strong holiday Ps2 sales, and speedy-cost reduction on Ps3, SCE might just be starting to turn a profit again.

The only planned color is Mint Green set for Feb 23-26. Yes. They sold that many PSP's.

gimz

congrad on PSP, i wonder what will the sales look like on PSP
is the Pink PSP release in Japan yet? its gonna be huge

Novid

Banned
gimz said:
congrad on PSP, i wonder what will the sales look like on PSP
is the Pink PSP release in Japan yet? its gonna be huge

Pink has been out...im not sure if its highest bought color of the PSP, im not a media create number diviner :lol :lol :lol

test_account

XP-39C²
Novid said:
The only planned color is Mint Green set for Feb 23-26. Yes. They sold that many PSP's.

They also have a Monster Hunter 2 (that new release thats comming soon, some expansion pack or something) edition comming up :)

Novid

Banned
test_account said:
They also have a Monster Hunter 2 (that new release thats comming soon, some expansion pack or something) edition comming up :)

The way that game came back and the PSP is selling thats gonna be Dragon Quest-esce levels of sales.:lol :lol :lol :lol

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
Oh? I'll have to look back on them; I mostly tend to ignore the early stuff.

1-20 is easy to come by via Oricon. The rest require figuring. Using the combined week numbers, I've got it down to only PS3 COD4 has rounded anything now. Everything else in the Top 30 is non-rounded. For 20080106, I have 27/30 as non-rounded.

Novid said:
The way that game came back and the PSP is selling thats gonna be Dragon Quest-esce levels of sales.

It never went away. :/ I take it you weren't paying attention to games outside of Media-Create's Top 10 or inside Famitsu's Top 30. Also, 2G will probably shorten MHP2's life considerably. This isn't a Brain Training 1/2 situation.

me 2 weeks ago said:
I'm patiently anticipating the first regular PSP > DS week. It's bound to happen imo, since the DS should hit a saturation point somewhere in the near future, and the PSP has somehow received the "hype product" status. The only thing that's making me doubt this though, is the inevitable bomzaldroppen DQIX.
Haha, I called it*. :lol PSP domination eminent. (I can't find my other quote from earlier on).

*Ok, It's not there yet, but I still think it's just a matter of time.

apujanata

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. NDS   -    97,369 |   266,568 |   363,937 | 21,536,988
2. PSP   -    96,159 |   218,234 |   314,393 |  7,915,987
3. WII   -    84,530 |   207,797 |   292,327 |  4,908,487
4. PS3   -    38,907 |    64,183 |   103,090 |  1,744,766
5. PS2   -    14,499 |    32,010 |    46,509 | 20,973,546
6. 360   -     4,690 |     9,763 |    14,453 |    521,794

Is this the start of the new era ?
PSP Slim to become the next DSL ?
One year Easter for PSP ?
Start of incredible increase of PSP S/W for 2008 ?

What do you think will happen in 2008 ? Share your thought on PSP vs DS in 2008.

apujanata said:
What do you think will happen in 2008 ? Share your thought on PSP vs DS in 2008.
I've said it a few times the past month, but people laughed at me. ;( I expect a few weeks of PSP>DS, but DQIX wil give the DS a little bit momentum again.

jman2050

apujanata said:
Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. NDS   -    97,369 |   266,568 |   363,937 | 21,536,988
2. PSP   -    96,159 |   218,234 |   314,393 |  7,915,987
3. WII   -    84,530 |   207,797 |   292,327 |  4,908,487
4. PS3   -    38,907 |    64,183 |   103,090 |  1,744,766
5. PS2   -    14,499 |    32,010 |    46,509 | 20,973,546
6. 360   -     4,690 |     9,763 |    14,453 |    521,794

Is this the start of the new era ?
PSP Slim to become the next DSL ?
One year Easter for PSP ?
Start of incredible increase of PSP S/W for 2008 ?

DS wins.

ethelred

donny2112 said:
Famitsu Dec 24-Jan 6

27. NDS Tales of Innocence 40790 / 196913

I'm sure not a lot of other people care about this, but I'd just like to note that Tales of Innocence has now officially passed Tales of the Tempest in sales.

And it did it without price collapsing!

Busaiku

ethelred said:
I'm sure not a lot of other people care about this, but I'd just like to note that Tales of Innocence has now officially passed Tales of the Tempest in sales.

And it did it without price collapsing!
Might pass Eternia (PSP), assuming it did around 10k or so this week (Famitsu has UC at 7k? or something).
Though it'd probably need a drop.

Top Bottom