• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 11/03 - 11/09

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Chris_C said:
For some reason I always thought those were cut off turkey feet resting on her shoulders:lol

What? Where? You mean her hands?

Hate to be anal retentive but it really irks me how that .gif doesn't loop properly. I blame you Panther for this atrocity and also everything else that's gone wrong in this topic and the forum in general. Get it together man!

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
gofreak said:
Yes I compared them by saying I thought the comparison was erroneous..

I said LBP would 'say' (sell?) more by saying Wii Music would outsell it in those very same posts..

And yes, I have a LBP avatar. The only bit of your post that's actually factually or logically sound.

Bah, sorry for that, I think I pwned myself, I read that in a hurry.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so Samurai 3 released today in japan right ? Tenchu 4 sold below 10k first day on Wii , So I guess Samurai 3 will do worse on PS3 , but how much worse ? 5K ? 100 copies ? poor Acquire giving it for free to the fans ?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Totobeni said:
so Samurai 3 released today in japan right ? Tenchu 4 sold below 10k first day on Wii , So I guess Samurai 3 will do worse on PS3 , but how much worse ? 5K ? 100 copies ? poor Acquire giving it for free to the fans ?

I bet it will do better.

Fafalada said:
Well that only proves him right.
SMG + better game = SMG sales + something > over a milion.

96136173.gif

Chris_C

Graphics Horse said:

Gaf never fails.

SovanJedi said:
What? Where? You mean her hands?

Hate to be anal retentive but it really irks me how that .gif doesn't loop properly. I blame you Panther for this atrocity and also everything else that's gone wrong in this topic and the forum in general. Get it together man!

Damn, looks like Panther's stirring shit up!

RpgN

Totobeni said:

Samurai franchise is horrible IMO, I like Tenchu games much more. Did Samurai games sell well in the past?

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'll never figure out why pedometers are so popular. We used to sell a ton of them when I worked at Radioshack.

Walking is decent enough exercise for a good majority of people.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'll never figure out why pedometers are so popular. We used to sell a ton of them when I worked at Radioshack.

My company had a competition with them last year. We were supposed to walk all the way to Paris. (I got lost somewhere in the french wilderness :( )

Anyway for a while atleast it was pretty fun keeping track and trying to improve your own "highscore" and average.

Wii Music is still putting up better numbers than most Nintendo music games. The exceptions being Donkey Konga, Band Bros. DX, and Rhythm Tengoku Gold.

Wii+Music

°°ToMmY°° said:
i don't get it, are pedometers game used to discover pedo people or walking games?
A pedometer counts the number of steps you've taken. It has nothing to do with paedophiles.

And Pure, whilst walking is certainly good exercise, I don't really understand why people need a pedometer to do it. To me it seems to be more like something people buy as a commitment to walking "sometime in the future to get in shape", use a few times, then toss in the drawer of their desk, never to be seen again.

donny2112

I expected Little Big Planet to do better than it has. Dropping to #10 in its second week of sales isn't a killer, but if it drops into the high teens or 20s next week, it is a very bad sign for legs.

I expected Wii Music to do better than it has, but seeing as it is still #11 in its fourth week of sales is a strong sign of typical "expanded audience" legs.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Wii Music is still putting up better numbers than most Nintendo music games. The exceptions being Donkey Konga, Band Bros. DX, and Rhythm Tengoku Gold.

Thanks for the comparison. :)

Zoe

Segata Sanshiro said:
And Pure, whilst walking is certainly good exercise, I don't really understand why people need a pedometer to do it. To me it seems to be more like something people buy as a commitment to walking "sometime in the future to get in shape", use a few times, then toss in the drawer of their desk, never to be seen again.

Because people need the meter to know when they've hit a goal (generally accepted to be 10,000 steps/day).

nli10

Zoe said:
Because people need the meter to know when they've hit a goal (generally accepted to be 10,000 steps/day).

In the UK - when your Pedometer hits the days target it makes a loud beep and the user is alowed to eat a cake. I shit you not. My Aunt used to shake hers so she could earn more treat points. :lol

I got one free at work - clocked it over the max amount of steps to roll the clock just for the heck of it and then forgot about it (I walk 2.5 miles to work, and then the same back later).

donny2112 said:
I expected Little Big Planet to do better than it has. Dropping to #10 in its second week of sales isn't a killer, but if it drops into the high teens or 20s next week, it is a very bad sign for legs. I expected Wii Music to do better than it has, but seeing as it is still #11 in its fourth week of sales is a strong sign of typical "expanded audience" legs.

I think Little Big Planet will find much better success in US than in Japan. I'm not expecting it to show up on October's NPD but maybe November's NPD, though it's going to be tough to chart in the top 10 during November. Let's see what happens as time goes by. Yeah, Wii Music being at number 11 in its 4th week shows that this title may just have legs. If it's able to maintain its ranking and maybe even hit the top 10 once or a few times as we near the holidays, this may be one of those slow burners for Nintendo.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
nextgeneration said:
I think Little Big Planet will find much better success in US than in Japan. I'm not expecting it to show up on October's NPD but maybe November's NPD, though it's going to be tough to chart in the top 10 during November. Let's see what happens as time goes by. Yeah, Wii Music being at number 11 in its 4th week shows that this title may just have legs. If it's able to maintain its ranking and maybe even hit the top 10 once or a few times as we near the holidays, this may be one of those slow burners for Nintendo.

I think LBP is going to end up doing about what most reasonable posters expected- Maybe 1.5-2M world wide. Not a huge massive hit, but a solid performance.

schuelma said:
I think LBP is going to end up doing about what most reasonable posters expected- Maybe 1.5-2M world wide. Not a huge massive hit, but a solid performance.

Yeah, that figure sounds about right to me.

Tiktaalik

Obviously the skirts' of the LBP promotional girls weren't short enough! This is the reason for failure.

Heads will roll over this!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
HyperZone<3 said:
Thunder Force VI tanked, didn't it?

FUCK!

Nope it didn't actually IIRC it sold 6.900 copies first day.
That the game IMO is un utter disappointement that's a whole different matter though :-/

Zachack

nli10 said:
In the UK - when your Pedometer hits the days target it makes a loud beep and the user is alowed to eat a cake. I shit you not. My Aunt used to shake hers so she could earn more treat points. :lol
When you say cake, do you mean (American) cupcake? Or some other sort of small pastry?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Phife Dawg said:
The LBP "sacred cow" force is getting more and more ridiculous.
Wait, there are people out there seriously saying LBP is a better platformer than SMG? REALLY??

XiaNaphryz

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Shoot I need to check LPB out now. SMG is still my game of this generation.
I've been meaning to, but I'm a bit hesitant. I'm not sure it could live up to all the ridiculous hype I've read about it.

Zoe said:
Not everybody is a fan of 3D platformers.

Sucks for them.

XiaNaphryz said:
I've been meaning to, but I'm a bit hesitant. I'm not sure it could live up to all the ridiculous hype I've read about it.

I'll be too busy looking for ways to knock it down a peg or three I'm sure. =/

Vinci

Danish
XiaNaphryz said:
Wait, there are people out there seriously saying LBP is a better platformer than SMG? REALLY??

I was just about to post this. Reading through this damn thread that's gone crazy, I miss out on a perfectly apt comment ...

To hell with all of you! And especially you, Panther!
YOU DID THIS

;)

EDIT: And someday I'm going to remember who that chick in your avatar is!

Mindlog

Private Hoffman said:
I'm not disagreeing with you, though it could be argued that LBP may be a more 'casual title' (we'll see), unlike, say, Fallout 3 or Fable 2. Which means that the few days will not be as representative of total potential sales as hardcore titles would be.

FYI, I had this one almost exact under my 'legs' entries. I don't know if I'm going to finish this though. Too much work :]

Dash Kappei said:
Nope it didn't actually IIRC it sold 6.900 copies first day.
That the game IMO is un utter disappointement that's a whole different matter though :-/

That's really sad to hear. TF IV saw sooo much play time on my Genesis. I planned on importing VI if it doesn't get NA/EU release.

Would a Famitsu vs MC % variance chart be interesting?

I don't see any particular reason to distinguish between LBP and Wii Music as titles slavishly and zealously defended by a minority of agenda-driven posters but unable to get traction at retail with the broader market. Both groups are largely uninterested in sales discussion except when a specific title they're interested in pops up, anyway.

Tiktaalik said:
Is LBP just being poorly marketed in Japan or something? I feel like it's the best western game to have a shot in Japan ever, and yet it seems to be doing poorly. Meanwhile, Grand Theft Auto, a game that doesn't seem tuned to the Japanese market at all, has continuously done decently. Is it just that Capcom knows how to market a game?

There's much more to success in Japan than being "cute" or whatever. LBP is a game title based on user-generated content (something that has never been a major selling point for any game title ever), network functionality (not a selling point in Japan), and 2d platforming (a market mismatch with the otaku userbase of the PS3). Who's actually supposed to be the target market for this in Japan?

Meanwhile, why would you actually expect GTA to do poorly? Other games with similar themes and structures, like Yakuza and Shenmue, are quite familiar to Japanese gamers; crime stories are popular in Japan, and sandbox gameplay is increasingly familiar as well. There's never been an inherent rejection of Western games just because they're Western in Japan (just look at how many older games became monster hits in Japan, like the Wizardry craze that led to the creation of Dragon Quest.) A lot of the popular American games do poorly either as a result of poor marketing or due to presentation and/or genre that isn't popular in Japan (see: almost any F/TPS); for various reasons I don't think either really applied to GTA.

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
I expected Wii Music to do better than it has, but seeing as it is still #11 in its fourth week of sales is a strong sign of typical "expanded audience" legs.

Famitsu:
Code:
Week - Sales
1    -    99k
2    -    42k
3    -    23k
4    -    15k

Seeing the numbers I wouldn't say that.

But if the game sells ~15k in the next weeks I'll agree with you.

For comparison:

I don't think Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida or 2 PSP have a strong sign of typical "expanded audience" legs.

Code:
1 - 62k
2 - 29k
3 - 15k
4 - 12k

And it's dropping ~ at the same rate

XiaNaphryz

charlequin said:
Both groups are largely uninterested in sales discussion except when a specific title they're interested in pops up, anyway.
This could be said of a lot of people who "randomly" drop by MC threads to post. ;)

Tiktaalik

charlequin said:
Meanwhile, why would you actually expect GTA to do poorly? Other games with similar themes and structures, like Yakuza and Shenmue, are quite familiar to Japanese gamers; crime stories are popular in Japan, and sandbox gameplay is increasingly familiar as well. There's never been an inherent rejection of Western games just because they're Western in Japan (just look at how many older games became monster hits in Japan, like the Wizardry craze that led to the creation of Dragon Quest.) A lot of the popular American games do poorly either as a result of poor marketing or due to presentation and/or genre that isn't popular in Japan (see: almost any F/TPS); for various reasons I don't think either really applied to GTA.

Well I didn't doubt that GTA4 would do well in Japan because I know that it's standing on the shoulders of the GTA series, which has been well managed and built up by Capcom. I've always felt like the success of the GTA series was because of savvy marketing by Capcom, because it's an accessible looking game, and the buzz generated by the fact that it was "a big deal" in other parts of the world. I'd be interested to know if I'm waaay off on this or other peoples' thoughts.

You're right that we should be critical of whether LBP was really all that designed for the Japanese market beyond the colourful veneer. It does sort of have nothing going for it except pure innovation. I thought that the visuals would be enough for the Japanese market to take a chance on it, but maybe the PS3 market is too small and hardcore for this to work. Maybe if the game had come out on the PS2 we would have seen something different.

The Wizardry thing has always been interesting. I don't know, was it popular for a long time or only during the super nerdy, computer otaku period before the Famicom arrived and brought gaming to the mainstream? If it's the latter then I almost wonder if it's a fluke from when the amount of gaming offerings was much more limited. If it's the former then it's a game with genuine crossover appeal. I don't really know enough about this period at all to even guess.

d+pad

I know the ship hasn't completely sailed on Wii Music yet, but it certainly isn't receiving the kind of attention that the other Wii-branded games have (in Japan) in the past. I can't wait to read opinions (esp. from industry and marketing experts) as to why this is.

Maybe I have the wrong opinion of consumers in general, but I kind of thought that the folks who picked up (and probably enjoyed) Wii Sports, Wii Play and Wii Fit had gotten to the point where they'd pick up any Wii-branded game, even if they didn't know much about it (or what they knew about it didn't interest them all that much).

I originally thought the lack of interest in Wii Music came down to the fact that that perhaps NOJ hadn't properly marketed the game - i.e. they didn't convey to consumers what the product was all about. Now, though, I'm thinking it's much easier than that - that Japanese consumers, by and large, just aren't that interested in the product.

It'll be interesting to see how Japanese consumers respond to Animal Crossing. And if they respond with a "meh" like they have re: Wii Music, will NOJ have a rough holiday season in terms of hardware, or will sales of Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii et al be enough for them to see healthy harware sales?

markatisu

I don't think Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida or 2 PSP have a strong sign of typical "expanded audience" legs.

Code:
1 - 62k
2 - 29k
3 - 15k
4 - 12k

And it's dropping ~ at the same rate

Are you keeping the drops in context where it charts? Meaning when Yuusha dropped was it still at a high number?

15k may seem like a drastic drop for Wii Music but if many of the other titles are only doing 17-20k it may all be relative the current state of the market.

Top Bottom