• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/19 - 11/25 2007

Well, that's 1. How's that stacking up against the predictions? :lol

Oh, and this represents everything that will go wrong with our hobby this generation.

kassatsu

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
Well, that's 1. How's that stacking up against the predictions? :lol

Oh, and this represents everything that will go wrong with our hobby this generation.
184,999 to go.

Error said:
that's a lot of copies for layton, level 5 over shipped?
No, the first day sales are pretty great and can easily lead to a ~400k first week. Which would be about 60% of the shipment.
I'm actually more glad this game won't suffer from shortages like so many great (and not sooo great) games on Nintendo platforms did, than I'm worried about a possible overshipment.

spwolf

dyls said:
So Wii actually has had better third-party sales in its first year than everything except the PS2, and blew all of them out of the water including the PS2 in first-party sales. I'd love it if this stopped all the melodramatic overreactions, but I know better

what?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Lobster said:
I'll translate it.

Breaking News!

Wii Fit is released and School girl buys it!

edit:holy shit is the Wii Fit box bigger then the Wii console box?!

Do Japanese stores typically sell winter jackets next to giant water bottles next to stationary?

dyls

spwolf said:

This is my understanding. Let me know if it's incorrect

Third-party sales in first year

PS2>Wii>DS>PSP>PS3>360

First-party sales in first year

Wii>DS>PS2>PSP>PS3>360

enishi

The WiiFit box is large but thin (about 3 DVD box thick). And it is heavier than Wii too (4.5kg incl. box)

Since we already know that RE4 Wii passed 100k even if it didn't chart on Top 30 for a long time (Denki number 134k last week), we may see some titles with much higher sales in year-end Top100/300/500. But still, it is nowhere to compare with PS2 third-party sales in 1st year. Let's see what NiGHTs 2, Chocobo and We Love Golf can do this Christmas.

If Layton 2 sold 200k on 1st day, I wonder if their initial shipment can last for 2007... It will definitely join the "non-game" club in early 2008.

spwolf

dyls said:
This is my understanding. Let me know if it's incorrect

Third-party sales in first year

PS2>Wii>DS>PSP>PS3>360

its completly correct, but those numbers are not good for Wii.

Resulting numbers are PSP=Wii for Top 10 3rd party games (difference is less than several percent), and Wii>PS3 by 35%, despite almost 3x bigger userbase.

And PS2>Wii by 4x.

ksamedi

spwolf said:

Resulting numbers are PSP=Wii for Top 10 3rd party games (difference is less than several percent), and Wii>PS3 by 35%, despite almost 3x bigger userbase.

And PS2>Wii by 4x.

I think it also has a lot to do with the quality of the releases and how dependent one company is on third parties. Nintendo had to make software that sold the Wii, naturally they get the bigger pie of the software sales because third parties were banking on the PS3 and this was the same with the PS2. Its a lot easier to get big franchise third party support if your system was very popular the generation before it. With the Wii, it was basically Nintendo's job to make it popular. They did there job, now its time for third parties to enter the scene and build up a bigger momentum.

dyls

spwolf said:

And PS2>Wii by 4x.

Who the hell cares about percentages compared to userbase? It's about hard numbers, and the Wii is easily the most viable of the three main consoles for third-parties in Japan. End of story.

tanod

when is my burrito
dyls said:
Who the hell cares about percentages compared to userbase? It's about hard numbers, and the Wii is easily the most viable of the three main consoles for third-parties in Japan. End of story.

No, it's about attach rates. That's the standard measure for software success on a piece of hardware.

D.Lo

schuelma said:
I don't think 3rd parties are concerned with what's fair.
Maybe not, but who's going to be happier, BandaiNamco and Sega with their mega-budget (relative) flops Gundam Musou, Ridge Racer 7 and Virtua Fighter 5, or Capcom and BandaiNamco with the higher then PS3 game sales of PS2 and GameCube ports on Wii (RE4, Dragon Ball Z etc)?

When the Wii starts getting exclusive sequels to PS2 franchises that weren't already released on PS2 or come out at the same time, then we'll see what it can really do.

tanod said:
No, it's about attach rates. That's the standard measure for software success on a piece of hardware.
GameCube has a bigger attach rate then PS2 worldwide, so therefore it won last gen and got all the support!:D

dyls said:
Yeah exactly, the only problem is that there is another new 3rd party monster the Wii has to compete with, the DS.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
tanod said:
Um, no it's not. What the hell do you think keeps them in business? This silly notion that an attach rate is some be-all-end-all method third-party companies use to decide to what platform they support most needs to end now. They do not care about how much hardware any company can get out there if they do not make their money back in the end, when moving forward they do not look at any single piece of data and decide to put all their money into that one bet, that would be idiotic. The attach rate is one of the last things these companies look at from a business perspective, if they can make more money elsewhere that's obviously where most of their support will go.

If Microsoft sold 10 360s and Capcom sold 9 copies of Lost Planet 2 on the 360 while Sony sold 100 PS3s and Capcom sold 50 copies of Lost Planet 2 on PS3 would they support Microsoft's console more than Sony's console? I mean obviously a 90% attach rate is much higher than a 50% attach rate, right?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
D.Lo said:
GameCube has a bigger attach rate then PS2 worldwide, so therefore it won last gen and got all the support!
I know this was a jest, but GC (and XBox for that matter) LTD attach was Always noticeably below PS2 (WW - I have no idea about specific regions).

reilo said:
Both are abysmal. One more-so than the other.
Using the Famitsu hardware and software data we have through week 52, its tie ratio at the time was around 2.28. Incomplete, yes, but so are PS3/Wii's software data now.

And of course it is mentionable that 0.46 of Wii's tie ratio is thanks to Wii Play, so if that gets aborted Wii is left with 2.09.

D.Lo

reilo said:
Both are abysmal. One more-so than the other.
So the PS2 was 'abysmal' as well? From Joshua's data on the last page:

Total PS2 software sales through week 52 = 7,149,634

PS2 hardware through week 52 = ~3.4 million

PS2 Tie ratio at the week 52 = ~2.1

EDIT: beated, assuming you're talking about PS2 JSJ?

donny2112

So there's partial PS1 data out there that is problematic for the following reasons:

1) Only 'Points' are actually given, and sales are assumed to be a constant ratio of those points.
2) It starts the week after the PS1 launches and goes for only 6 weeks before having an 8 month gap in data.
3) LTDs are not given, so only a summation of the weekly sales is possible.

Even with all those strikes against it, the PS1 still looks pretty rosy for third-parties after 1 year compared to the Wii and PS3.

PS1:

1. PS1 Battle Arena Toshinden - 472,150 (19950122)
2. PS1 Tokimeki Memorial: Forever With You - 450,953 (19951203)
3. PS1 Ridge Racer - 298,066 (19950122)
4. PS1 New Japan Pro Wrestling: Toukon Retsuden - 244,984 (19951119)
5. PS1 Ridge Racer Revolution - 178,397 (19951203)
6. PS1 Gokujou Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack - 172,791 (19950122)
7. PS1 Namco Museum Vol. 1 - 145,649 (19951203)
8. PS1 Boxer's Road - 105,913 (19951112)
9. PS1 A. IV Evolution - 105,553 (19950122)
10. PS1 Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu '95 - 90,294 (19950115)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
D.Lo said:
So the PS2 was 'abysmal' as well? From Joshua's data on the last page:

Total PS2 software sales through week 52 = 7,149,634

PS2 hardware through week 52 = ~3.4 million

PS2 Tie ratio at the week 52 = ~2.1

Sure.

But looking at PS2s top Ten sellers, it beats the living shit out of the top ten PS3 and Wii sellers through 52 weeks. Which lends me to believe that the rest of the PS2s early releases were pretty bad.

10. PS2 Shin Sangoku Musou - 302,101 (20001231)

1. PS3 Gundam Musou - 277,582 (20070701)
2. PS3 Shin Sangoku Musou 5 - 176,180 (20071111)

1. WII Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors - 453,445 (20070826)
2. WII Dragon Ball Z Sparking Neo - 157,784 (20070701)

That's pretty telling, I'd think.

cvxfreak

I just got Wii Fit. I haven't tried it yet, because I just got home, but I took cellphone pics at Shinjuku West Bic Camera. It was fairly busy.

- Yes, lots of people were buying the game. Before I entered the store, I noticed 5 people with Wii Fit crossing the street outside the store.

- A few people bought a Wii system with the game. Notably older, middle-aged men.

- One person bought Super Mario Galaxy. :lol

- Saw one person buying a Wii system, Wii Play, Wii Sports and Wii Fit. And what I thought was Biohazard Umbrella Chronicles, although it could have been Biohazard 4 Wii Edition as well.

6lsgwo2.jpg
6lsgwo2.jpg
6lsgwo2.jpg
6lsgwo2.jpg

- The press were there taking pictures of people at the registers and people trying the trial version at the Wii Fit kiosk.

- They had tons in stock and they had more crates in storage, possibly due to the fact the Shinjuku store is a flagship store for Bic (hence the press)

- They had a special cash register away from the main section for Wii Fit and Wii system purchases, although relatively few actually utilized it because it is a bit hard to find when you enter Bic's 5th floor gaming section.

Pictures:

6y4kcis.jpg

Sign about Wii Fit

6oo7f5y.jpg

A press camera man setting up

6xb8hh1.jpg

More Wii Fit shipping containers being moved to the counter

6ywfiq9.jpg

Someone bought a Wii system with Wii Fit

6z6x3f7.jpg

Picture of part of the queue for the register area

6nvhjix.jpg

Press shooting someone trying the demo

6pjflzq.jpg

Picture of special counter dedicated to buying Wii Fit and a system

8dzk39j.jpg

Someone bought two Wii Fit systems (these people were trying the PS3 WE 2008 demo)

Overall, it wasn't super hectic busy, but it was indeed an impressive show. The game will clearly be a huge hit in Japan.

D.Lo said:
Yeah, I didn't intend to leave it so mysterious.
reilo said:
But looking at PS2s top Ten sellers, it beats the living shit out of the top ten PS3 and Wii sellers through 52 weeks.
Those are third-party-only comparisons, though. Wii has an incredibly strong first party presence (Not counting Wii Play, 8 of the top 10), PS3 has a fairly strong first party presence (4 of the top 10), PS2 had an incredibly weak early first party presence (0 of the top 10). You can say those systems have an abysmal third party software tie ratio, but hey, sucks to have strong competition.

reilo

JoshuaJSlone said:
Yeah, I didn't intend to leave it so mysterious.

Those are third-party-only comparisons, though. Wii has an incredibly strong first party presence (Not counting Wii Play, 8 of the top 10), PS3 has a fairly strong first party presence (4 of the top 10), PS2 had an incredibly weak early first party presence (0 of the top 10). You can say those systems have an abysmal third party software tie ratio, but hey, sucks to have strong competition.

Ah. I thought it was a comprehensive list. Can you provide a top ten software list for both first and third party for Wii, and PS3 through the first 52 weeks, respectively? PS2 list would be the same.

Arde5643

tanod said:
Attach rates usually are used when they're not market leaders or when they're in equal footing.

Consider how oxbox and gamecube used to spout attach rates as their trophies when comparing themselves with PS2.

D.Lo

donny2112 said:
So there's partial PS1 data out there that is problematic for the following reasons:

1) Only 'Points' are actually given, and sales are assumed to be a constant ratio of those points.
2) It starts the week after the PS1 launches and goes for only 6 weeks before having an 8 month gap in data.
3) LTDs are not given, so only a summation of the weekly sales is possible.

Even with all those strikes against it, the PS1 still looks pretty rosy for third-parties after 1 year compared to the Wii and PS3.

PS1:

1. PS1 Battle Arena Toshinden - 472,150 (19950122)
2. PS1 Tokimeki Memorial: Forever With You - 450,953 (19951203)
3. PS1 Ridge Racer - 298,066 (19950122)
4. PS1 New Japan Pro Wrestling: Toukon Retsuden - 244,984 (19951119)
5. PS1 Ridge Racer Revolution - 178,397 (19951203)
6. PS1 Gokujou Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack - 172,791 (19950122)
7. PS1 Namco Museum Vol. 1 - 145,649 (19951203)
8. PS1 Boxer's Road - 105,913 (19951112)
9. PS1 A. IV Evolution - 105,553 (19950122)
10. PS1 Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu '95 - 90,294 (19950115)
That is impressive. Bizzare, the Japanese were seemingly desperate to abandon Nintendo in 1995, jumping onto another system that quickly (then again, they already did for the PC Engine...).

You don't have Saturn data do you? From memory it could be even more impressive.

cvxfreak said:
- Saw one person buying a Wii system, Wii Play, Wii Sports and Wii Fit. And what I thought was Biohazard Umbrella Chronicles, although it could have been Biohazard 4 Wii Edition as well.
That's what we want to hear, a non-game doing it's job evangelising non-non-games.

reilo

Arde5643 said:
Attach rates usually are used when they're not market leaders or when they're in equal footing.

Consider how oxbox and gamecube used to spout attach rates as their trophies when comparing themselves with PS2.

PS2 still had a great attach rate of 10 software sold per console, no? 1bil software units worldwide is just... wow.

donny2112

D.Lo said:
You don't have Saturn data do you? From memory it could be even more impressive.

1) Still based on a ratio to points data.
2) Starts at third week from release and goes for 6 weeks before 8-month gap.
3) Summation of weekly sales, no LTDs.

This is still only for third-parties.

SAT:

1. SAT Puyo Puyo Tsuu - 183,612 (19951119)
2. SAT Detana TwinBee Yahho! Deluxe Pack - 86,750 (19951015)
3. SAT King of Boxing - 74,230 (19951119)
4. SAT Nobunaga no Yabou: Tenshoki - 72,730 (19951105)
5. SAT Layer Section - 72,240 (19951119)
6. SAT Touge: King the Sprits - 69,580 (19951119)
7. SAT Idol Janshi Suchie-Pai Remix - 64,025 (19951015)
8. SAT Princess Maker 2 - 57,706 (19951105)
9. SAT Dragon Ball Z: Shin Butouden - 43,077 (19951119)
10. SAT Tenchi Muyou! Ryoukouki Gokuraku - 30,390 (19951015)

Based on the 52-week Famitsu software/hardware information, here's a first/third tie ratio breakdown. Due to incomplete data, everything should be higher than this; how much is unknowable.

PS2
0.14 first
2.15 third

GCN
2.16 first
0.45 third

PSP
0.36 first
0.81 third

DS
1.64 first
0.37 third

PS3
0.54 first
0.95 third

Wii through 51 weeks, not counting Wii Play
1.47 first
0.55 third

What did PS2 and DS have in common? Neither first party ratio nor third party ratio. DS third party sales were even weak compared to PSP. What PS2 and DS had in common was a healthy total tie ratio, which attracted further attempts to grab a piece of it.

GCN seems to have the highest total tie ratio of any of these systems through one year... it was just on a userbase too small to matter.

reilo said:
Ah. I thought it was a comprehensive list. Can you provide a top ten software list for both first and third party for Wii, and PS3 through the first 52 weeks, respectively? PS2 list would be the same.
Easier just to link to it. These are what I used as reference earlier, I just weeded out the first-party releases and rounded numbers.
PS2
GCN
DS
PSP
PS3
Wii (Week 51)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
PS2 still had a great attach rate of 10 software sold per console, no?
Actually it's still the highest attach ratio to date (at least on hardware with userbase of 10Milion or over - I honestly wouldn't know if there may be something like nGage that beats it).

sphinx

the piano man
PantherLotus said:
i thought it would be big. but i think this is gonna be huge. like = wii sports, huge.

I think it is worth pointing out that this is the first time in like.... I don't know, maybe ~10 years?, that people line up for a New IP in Japan.

People line up for Dragon quests or Pokemons but for Wii fit? actual lines??

Unheard of.

I think this thing will be the single biggest new IP of the generation in Japan, taking the crown from Wii sports.

EDIT = ...mmhhh I just thought.... I guess the japanese are seeing this as the continuation of wii sports, right? like a "wii sports 2"...

Deku

Banned
Grain of salt an all that. Those pictures are from Nerd Capital Japan. There were lines for Blue Dragon too.

But I just find it ironic seeing all those nerds line up for something that is (supposedly) so antithetical to their being.

iidesuyo

D.Lo said:
That is impressive. Bizzare, the Japanese were seemingly desperate to abandon Nintendo in 1995, jumping onto another system that quickly (then again, they already did for the PC Engine...).

Well, by 1995 the 3D revolution had taken place in the arcades. Everyone was playing Daytona, Tekken, or Virtua Cop. The Super Famicom couldn't deliver this, the Playstation could and people were embracing the new generation..

I'm convinced that had the N64 been released in 1995 with a CD-ROM drive, the PS1 would have been a complete failure.

PantherLotus said:
i thought it would be big. but i think this is gonna be huge. like = wii sports, huge.

Yeah and this could be definitely the game that the Wii need to sell well for next 6 months without any release. I'm just really disappointed about the lack of interest in Galaxy.

Moor-Angol said:
According to cvxfreak's report we have :

Wii system +2
Wii Fit +11
Wii Sports +1
Wii Play +1
SMG +1
RE4Wii / RE:UC +1

At this point, all reports say that Wii Fit is going to be huge, but I have the impression that Wii's hardware will not skyrocket.

Top Bottom