• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/19 - 11/25 2007

Evlar

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
No I'm not
That position is already taken. You're closer to the marquis of lies.

That's marquis, MAR-kwis, according to proper Ivalician and English pronunciation.

Tristam

Segata Sanshiro said:
Mario Galaxy is a genuine shame, though. It's one of the best games I've ever played. Sad to see it doing so-so in any region.

My heart aches. Hold me, Segata. :(

I'd love to see the numbers, because the Famitsu numbers only showed a 6k drop in sales, which isn't bad relatively speaking (the relation here is its already disappointing sales).

Christine

The Sphinx said:
That position is already taken. You're closer to the marquis of lies.

That's marquis, MAR-kwis, according to proper Ivalician and English pronunciation.

It's pronounced "marquis."

MrPonx

I hate C.Ronaldo..

and why they hell did they choose the blue lighting for PS2?? wouldn't it make more since to have a blue lighting for PS3? (Blu-ray?)

nevertheless.. GOOOOOOOOOOOOO WINNINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I really wish people would stop making such a big deal out of mario being "out of the top 10!" Come on! There have been weeks where the number 10 game sold in the 4 digits. If Galaxy sold 8900 and was still in the top 10, would we see "Well, it's in the top 10! Go galaxy!" every few posts? Its sales aren't much lower than last weeks sales (probably around 4 to 6k less). Its placement means nothing.

Now the people bitching about the mediocre sales of galaxy in general, they are free to continue.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
GreenGlowingGoo said:
I really wish people would stop making such a big deal out of mario being "out of the top 10!" Come on! There have been weeks where the number 10 game sold in the 4 digits. If Galaxy sold 8900 and was still in the top 10, would we see "Well, it's in the top 10! Go galaxy!" every few posts? Its sales aren't much lower than last weeks sales (probably around 4 to 6k less). Its placement means nothing.

Now the people bitching about the mediocre sales of galaxy in general, they are free to continue.

Just ignore it. That line of thinking is the driving force behind much of the stupidity in the PAL sales threads...damn the lack of numbers

Dahbomb

According to Famitsu numbers PS3 outsold Wii again and DS did gangbusters because of DQ4. PSP did pretty hefty as well.

Console :

Wii : about 47k

DSL : about 116k

PS3 : about 58k

PS2 : about 15k

PSP : about 89k

360 : about 5.8k

Let's wait for MC numbers though.

WARCOCK

Banned
th_we08.jpg

Konami that was not neccesary, really... and the facial expression....IM BADDDDDD TO THE BOONEEEE.... :( Baby jesus cries to infinity+1.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Anyhoo, Galaxy's not doing all that bad, in relation to its legs, but as I've said countless times before, this will probably be the last 3D Mario (well for 10 years probably). Next console Mario may be 2D. Unlike Zelda: PH, Nintendo would have a legitimate reason to follow the DS path with certain games.

justchris

Vinnk said:
I'll check for it tonight. Any other requests?

DQIV please. Also, can you see how Layton & Disgaea portable are selling since they're out today?

Edit: Mario Galaxy's sales are disappointing because it still hasn't sold out of it's initial shipment of about 700k. If it doesn't sell all of those by year end, that's kind of disastrous.

Dahbomb said:
According to Famitsu numbers PS3 outsold Wii again and DS did gangbusters because of DQ4. PSP did pretty hefty as well.

Console :

Wii : about 47k

DSL : about 116k

PS3 : about 58k

PS2 : about 15k

PSP : about 89k

360 : about 5.8k

Let's wait for MC numbers though.

Okay so DS had boosted sales because of DQIV and PSP had boosted sales because.....

I mean no PSP title even made it in the top 30. What the hell? Just a random ass bump for PSP. Japan didn't have a black friday of sorts did they?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
perfectchaos007 said:
Okay so DS had boosted sales because of DQIV and PSP had boosted sales because.....

I mean no PSP title even made it in the top 30. What the hell? Just a random ass bump for PSP. Japan didn't have a black friday of sorts did they?

Holiday shopping season has begun.

ethelred

ivysaur12 said:
Hopefully it'll bump back into the top 10 so we can get some numbers.

Hopefully :(

Oh, don't worry. We'll get numbers when the yearly chart comes out. I'm sure it'll be in the top 20, at least. Maybe 30. Ish.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ivysaur12 said:
Hopefully it'll bump back into the top 10 so we can get some numbers.

Hopefully :(
We'll just rely on Famitsu for the long term numbers like we do for almost every other game.

ethelred said:
Oh, don't worry. We'll get numbers when the yearly chart comes out. I'm sure it'll be in the top 20, at least. Maybe 30. Ish.
Oh yeah, that too.

justchris

perfectchaos007 said:
Oh I forgot. Japan may not celebrate CHRISTmas since most are athiest, but they do celebrate Giftmas on the same day.

That's...not true. Japanese are not commonly atheist. A number are buddhist or shintoist, some are even christian. They just have a more...casual relationship with god than your typical Christian or Muslim in the US.

ivysaur12

Banned
Fuzzy said:
We'll just rely on Famitsu for the long term numbers like we do for almost every other game.

What are the Famitsu numbers right now? I stop paying attention to Media Create threads after Thursday.

justchris

perfectchaos007 said:
I know I remember seing somewhere that most Japanese are atheists. Oh here it is

http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_atheist.html

65%

May or may not be credible

That counts atheists and agnostics in the same category, which they clearly are not. An atheist is someone who doesn't believe in god or a deity of any kind. An agnostic is a person who believes, but doesn't necessarily have a codefied faith, or is unsure of exactly the nature of what they believe in. It would not be incorrect to classify a large number of Japanese as agnostic, but I would not call them atheist. I think that explains the confusion.

ethelred

justchris said:
That counts atheists and agnostics in the same category, which they clearly are not. An atheist is someone who doesn't believe in god or a deity of any kind. An agnostic is a person who believes, but doesn't necessarily have a codefied faith, or is unsure of exactly the nature of what they believe in. It would not be incorrect to classify a large number of Japanese as agnostic, but I would not call them atheist. I think that explains the confusion.

That's a pretty poor definition of agnosticism.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
GUYS.

Media-Create thread. Discussing SALES.

Not the off-topic forum discussing the who and who isn't an atheist. Leave that shit to Stoney Mason.

nli10

ethelred said:
That's a pretty poor definition of agnosticism.

Yup, piss poor... It's the misconception help by most religious people though for some reason. :lol

Wiki said:
Agnosticism (from the Greek a, meaning "without", and gnosticism or gnosis, meaning "knowledge") is the philosophical view that the truth value of certain claims—particularly metaphysical claims regarding theology, afterlife or the existence of God, gods, deities, or even ultimate reality—is unknown or, depending on the form of agnosticism, inherently unknowable due to the nature of subjective experience.
Agnostic

Also your so called CHRISTmas is actually celebrated on the pagan date for the festival for the lengthening of the hours of sunlight in a day at the point of mid-winter and has nothing to with the actual birth of said asian bloke.

Back on topic.

The top 2 games in the MC chart that are not new entries are both Mario Games, and Galaxy is the 2nd of these and we get all these doom & gloom posts and 'bomba' posts? Have you guys not seen the chart before? It's selling similar to last week - not a runaway success (moms & dads & granny not buying 3D platformer shock!!) but it's showing the first signs of the fact it will sell a good few copies over Japan's New Year celebrations.

Olaeh

Mario Party 8 seems to be hanging around in the top 30 for a while now, could it be another Mario Kart DS type situation?

Vinnk

perfectchaos007 said:
I know I remember seing somewhere that most Japanese are atheists. Oh here it is

http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_atheist.html

65%

May or may not be credible

Most Japanese are not Atheist. You have to care to be Atheist. Most Japanese I have met don't care one way or the other. God may or may not exist but they feel it has little bearing on their lives one way or the other. Still, when there is a birth, death or holiday you will find Japanese people at a shrine/temple.

And now the same paragraph, but on-topic.

Most Japanese don't hate console gaming. You have to care to hate console gaming. Most Japanese I have met don't care one way or the other. Mario may or may not exist but they feel it has little bearing on their lives one way or the other. Still, when there is a 2D platformer, remake or party game you will fine Japanese people at the game shop/amazon.

justchris

Vinnk said:
Most Japanese are not Atheist. You have to care to be Atheist. Most Japanese I have met don't care one way or the other. God may or may not exist but they feel it has little bearing on their lives one way or the other. Still, when there is a birth, death or holiday you will find Japanese people at a shrine/temple.

And now the same paragraph, but on-topic.

Most Japanese don't hate console gaming. You have to care to hate console gaming. Most Japanese I have met don't care one way or the other. Mario may or may not exist but they feel it has little bearing on their lives one way or the other. Still, when there is a 2D platformer, remake or party game you will fine Japanese people at the game shop/amazon.

I like your explanation better.

Lobster

Banned
Crusade said:
Why was Mario and Sonic at the Olympics released this year instead of next?

SEGA thought that the holiday season would bump the sales? Not releasing an olympic game during the olympics is pretty stupid though..maybe they'll do a re-release.

ethelred

Crusade said:
Why was Mario and Sonic at the Olympics released this year instead of next?

Because Satoru Iwata, being a strident agnostic, was never very likely to ignore the astrological classification of 2007 as the "Year of the Party Game."

Lobster said:
SEGA thought...

You mean to say "Nintendo thought."

Lobster

Banned
ethelred said:
Because Satoru Iwata, being a strident agnostic, was never very likely to ignore the astrological classification of 2007 as the "Year of the Party Game."

You mean to say "Nintendo thought."

Oh right yes..Nintendo did publish the game in Japan so I guess they did part in the release date.

I think the game will do great in PAL land and US and it could pass 4 million (including the DS game too lol)

The advertising for it in Australia is pretty good.

Olaeh said:
Mario Party 8 seems to be hanging around in the top 30 for a while now, could it be another Mario Kart DS type situation?

Not really a Mario Kart DS situation, but Mario Party games usually were sold during holiday season, so it will have a bump during last weeks in December.
Now it's selling around 6-8k a week, 50k would be reasonable, million seller status very near.

Sales picked up this week. Last week 12k netted you a place in the Top 10, this week the 10th has 36k sales - not bad.

Musou is making it's way down pretty fast.

S&M picked up quite a few sales after those first day numbers, it could do quite decently after all.

WE is actually surprising, adding the numbers it's quite comparable to what it did before. Going by Moor-Angol's site: Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer 2007 470.163 (FW) 44,68% (ST) 1.052.360 (LTD). But it seems that a lot of the fanbase actually made the jump to PS3. I don't expect the PS3 version to have the same legs as the PS2 version though.

Too bad that SMG is already out of the Top10 but for all the doom&gloom is does hold out pretty well - let's see for how long.

Gahiggidy said:
I all seriousness, I really can't imagine what EAD is thinking now after seeing its two oldest, most reliable, franchises drift downward in JPN consumer interest. I think the best bet to revive interest in Zelda and Mario over there is a drastic "simplyfying" of the gameplay.
PH sold well and while it controlled differently I didn't feel like they simplyfied the game design.

Chrono said:
We're talking about Nintendo here. I wouldn't be surprised if the game's failure in Japan pretty much doomed any plans for a sequel any time soon.

This also doesn't help their view on traditional games, but not like it matters anymore, Nintendo has changed and Galaxy is just speeding things up.
There wouldn't have been a sequel on Wii even if SMG did awesome numbers.

icecream said:
PS3 software sales have been quite nice in Japan. Most games that come out have gone over 100K in the week.
So two huge franchises going over 100k in a week=most games?

Recent releases (first weeks):

Lair: 20k
Oblivion: 25k
That horror novel game: 20k
Musou: 180k
R&C: 12k
WE: 140k

Then there are games like EoJ that didn't even launch in the Top 10, so we don't have numbers (mc at least). In actual fact the only games that had an opening week over 100k are GM, MnG, SSM and now WE. To make things even worse, there aren't a lot of games apart from those 4 who have a LTD over 100k yet.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Considering the first day sales, Mario & Sonic pulled out... well, better than I expected based on first day numbers, that's about it though. Hope it's selling better elsewhere. :lol

DQ and DS seem to be two great tastes that go great together. Between Joker and this, SE's got to be feeling pretty confident about DQIX being where it is.

Mario Galaxy is a genuine shame, though. It's one of the best games I've ever played. Sad to see it doing so-so in any region.
I think it'll do pretty well in Europe over a long course. But we'll have to see about that of course. I think it can sell decently well into the next year and beyond if Sega plays the cards right here.

I recently got my hands on SMG (damn NoE and your shitty shortages *shakes angry fist*) and while it's one of the best games ever for sure I found it a bit disorienting at first. And I never had motion sickness from games or anything like that and have been playing 3D games since they came out (not even Descent gave me problems back in the days). I can see how that could intimidate people from playing it. Based on quality, imagination, gameplay and everything it can not sell enough copies though.

Dragmire

What did SMG get in Famitsu?

I don't understand how New Super Mario Bros. can do so well yet Galaxy can do so poorly. Are the Japanese tired of Mario? I do think Nintendo should create new IP's and characters, but if quality like Galaxy can be overlooked, I don't know how much it would help. Perhaps people in Japan think the game will cause dizziness. I don't personally think so at all, but I can play FPS's with the best of them.

The only other thing I can think of is that Wii is gaining a very different audience from previous Nintendo systems, and even the DS. Or maybe people are content with Wii Sports, and now they're moving on.

Top Bottom