• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/26 - 12/2 2007

duckroll

Defuser said:
They could have chosen another date but nooooooo they have to choose somewhere Wiifit will be a killer for the next few weeks.

I dunno, I'm glad I'm playing it now! Too bad for MS though. :lol

As for the NMH/Uncharted comparisons, it's interesting solely because on the first day the estimates were 10k for NMH and 7k for Uncharted. The fact that there's a HUGE turnaround is an interesting look at how front loaded NMH was and how much more Uncharted sold over the week. This probably just means that Uncharted is a much more appealing game to pick up "along with a PS3" over the week, as opposed to NMH which is such a niche game in a market that isn't title starved. Wii owners have like a dozen titles to pick from when getting a new system before even considering NMH.

ziran

schuelma said:
One more note- For all the "Wii will destroy gaming" people- it certainly appears that the renewed interest in the Wii thanks to Wii Fit is leading to some solid software titles for the so called "real games".
But that only fuels the tears! :lol

The normal games selling on Wii just aren't 'real' enough, and let's face it, for many of these people they never will be ;)

harSon

Banned
Lightning said:
I don't think Sony give a shit about the Uncharted Japan sales. Everyone knew this game wouldn't sell in Japan, just like all western games before it. Try dissing games that are supposed to do well, not those that aren't just for the sake of dissing.

The 360 hardware going the most meaningless boost ever from their biggest Japan title of the year.

Why do you even care? It's not like you planned on buying a 360 or Lost Odyssey, you only seem to talk negatively about it :p

Leonsito said:
So another ~60k for SMG :D

Seems like the comparison with last year Mario Kart DS sales was correct.
100k for latest week of the year might be affordable, this means around 700k for the end of the year and maybe around 800k for the end of january.
Milions seller target not too far, go for it, Mario!

I just noticed MP8 result, sales were 3x compared to latest weeks, probably another million seller for Mario.

To be honest, I didn't think a 8800Y 4.4kg package including game and peripheral would drive a console so well. Major props to Nintendo to being able to sell it like this.

So many numbers its kinda dizzy, difficult to follow 2nd/3rd weeks for any title, so many new titles too. Poor, poor GTA, definitely the worst of the bunch. Rather just okay for most titles though, if I had to take the better two, I think they would be DS Power Pro Kun Pocket 10 and PSP Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida.

harSon

Banned
duckroll said:
I dunno, I'm glad I'm playing it now! Too bad for MS though. :lol

As for the NMH/Uncharted comparisons, it's interesting solely because on the first day the estimates were 10k for NMH and 7k for Uncharted. The fact that there's a HUGE turnaround is an interesting look at how front loaded NMH was and how much more Uncharted sold over the week. This probably just means that Uncharted is a much more appealing game to pick up "along with a PS3" over the week, as opposed to NMH which is such a niche game in a market that isn't title starved. Wii owners have like a dozen titles to pick from when getting a new system before even considering NMH.

The dates fine I guess... Microsoft should have not been cheap and advertise the hell out of the game along with a bundle comparable to the one released with Blue Dragon. I think the best bundle out there was one that landed you a $15 discount and that was at fucking 7-11 :lol

Do you see Microsoft funding another Mistwalker title? I can't see it happening unless the game manages to sell relatively outside of Japan which seems very unlikely.

Jokeropia

Segata Sanshiro said:
My impression was that the first shipment was 700k. That's not correct?
That's the info we got initially, but I based on a sell-through figure we later got from Famitsu you could deduce that it was actually ~550k.

Not quite the sales I'd hoped for NMH - after the reported 10k opening day I'd been keeping my fingers crossed for something closer to 20k - but respectable when held against Suda's previous games.

test_account

XP-39C²
Frillen said:
Galaxy haters am cry. I never doubted that that game would have amazing legs. It's very likely that it will get a couple of 50k+ weeks now and seriously who knows where it's going to stop. I personally think it will hit 1 Million.

I dont think anyone here hated Super Mario Galaxy, or? I saw some "bombed!" comment based on the lower than expected numbers from 1st week and the rather large drops the 2nd and 3rd week, but i doubt they hated the game because of this :p I guess you ment the guys who said "bomba!" though, but i just had to comment on it ;)

Frillen said:
I wasn't referring to Duckroll, but to the people who actually compare the two games.

Why did you quote him and asked him why he compared the 2 games then? As far as i can see he was also the only one who made the "comparison" between the 2 games here, so if it wasnt him you were reffering to, who else was it?

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Holy crap at Wii Sports and Wii Play still enjoying great sales. And it seems that Layton 2 is helping Layton 1 as well. Where will they stop ? Is Mario Party 8 now the best selling Mario Party in Japan ?

Kenka said:
Mario Party 4 exceeded 900'000 and beat SMS.

Mario Party 4 did 902,827 according to Moor's site, and unless MP 1-3 did anything above it then yes MP8 is the best selling Mario Party at 918,000.

Jokeropia said:
That's the info we got initially, but I based on a sell-through figure we later got from Famitsu you could deduce that it was actually ~550k.

Yeah but Famitsu's sell-through figure is rounded, so we don't the exact shipment.

Defuser

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
To be honest, I didn't think a 8800Y 4.4kg package including game and peripheral would drive a console so well. Major props to Nintendo to being able to sell it like this.
Even a blind man could tell Wiifit has the casual aura which can sell to casuals and non gamers by tons.

jarrod

Banned
Kenka said:
DKC 1-2-3 say hello.
So do plenty of PlayStation brands games actually (Crash, R&C, **** Raider, GTA, etc). Uncharted doing worse than stuff like Oblivion, AC or Lair is pretty surprising imo.

duckroll

harSon said:
The dates fine I guess... Microsoft should have not been cheap and advertise the hell out of the game along with a bundle comparable to the one released with Blue Dragon. I think the best bundle out there was one that landed you a $15 discount and that was at fucking 7-11 :lol

Do you see Microsoft funding another Mistwalker title? I can't see it happening unless the game manages to sell relatively outside of Japan which seems very unlikely.

I personally can't see MS funding many more big budget Xbox360 projects in Japan after Infinite Undiscovery and whatever that From Software ninja game is. It's just not translating into the hardware movers they want it to in Japan, and Japanese games simply don't sell as well in the west compared to actual western-developed 360 games.

Sakaguchi shouldn't be worried though, there's a good reason why he owns a chunk of shares in AQI! :D

doicare

Frillen said:
What's up with the Uncharted and No More Heroes comparison anyway? I don't see how you can compare such completely different games. Or has Sony fans hit a new low?

I think your nintendo fanboy posts have hit a new low, seriously chill out.

duckroll said:
I personally can't see MS funding many more big budget Xbox360 projects in Japan after Infinite Undiscovery and whatever that From Software ninja game is. It's just not translating into the hardware movers they want it to in Japan, and Japanese games simply don't sell as well in the west compared to actual western-developed 360 games.

Sakaguchi shouldn't be worried though, there's a good reason why he owns a chunk of shares in AQI! :D

Yeah I don't see why MS would bother with Japanese developed games for the 360 at this point when western games like Oblivion and AC can sell comparably well to these Japanese developed games. Unless they want to build a set of Japanese franchise for their next console.

doicare said:
I think your nintendo fanboy posts have hit a new low, seriously chill out.

And what are you adding to this thread besides insulting others?

duckroll

McDragon said:
So about that bet duckroll :lol :lol

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed. I misjudged the 360 installed base I guess. Maybe they really don't give a fuck about JRPGs. After all Ace Combat 6 sold MORE. :(

harSon

Banned
duckroll said:

Me either which is interesting considering the interview I read a few months back regarding Japan. I can't seem to find it right now but it was an interview with Peter Moore in regards to their situation in Japan and future endeavors. He said that they had (or were) closed up several deals with several Japanese studios to make them 2nd party partners. I'm guessing that From Software was one of those developers.

I think Cry-On will do better in Japan and internationally, from the sounds of it, the game seems to be quite different from his past efforts. I think Microsoft needs more games in the vein of Cry-On (Different) instead of the run of the mill RPGs they are currently after.

MCD

duckroll said:
Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed. I misjudged the 360 installed base I guess. Maybe they really don't give a fuck about JRPGs. After all Ace Combat 6 sold MORE. :(

Maybe it's LO art style they didn't like? who knows.

anyway, i was expecting at least 80k...ah well.

duckroll

harSon said:
I think Cry-On will do better in Japan and internationally, from the sounds of it, the game seems to be quite different from his past efforts. I think Microsoft needs more games in the vein of Cry-On (Different) instead of the run of the mill RPGs they are currently after.

I think Cry On will do pretty terribly. Being different doesn't seem to get you any sales on the 360 anywhere in the world. Being military based seems to be the way to go. Cry On doesn't even have big name staff working on it. The character designer is from Drag-on Dragoon. :(

Dascu

No More Heroes - 13k
:(

Deserves so much more. At least it's selling pretty well compared to previous Grasshopper Manufacture games, though that's not saying much. Let's hope it has success outside of Japan.

jarrod

Banned
BishopLamont said:
Yeah I don't see why MS would bother with Japanese developed games for the 360 at this point when western games like Oblivion and AC can sell comparably well to these Japanese developed games. Unless they want to build a set of Japanese franchise for their next console.
Without improved JP support though, 360 (and later platforms) won't accelerate beyond Xbox in western markets either. To have a broad base, you need a broad library and some diversity... and honestly, I'd say 360's massively improved JP library has made it an easier sell for lots of core gamers in the west already.

jarrod

Banned
duckroll said:
I think Cry On will do pretty terribly. Being different doesn't seem to get you any sales on the 360 anywhere in the world. Being military based seems to be the way to go. Cry On doesn't even have big name staff working on it. The character designer is from Drag-on Dragoon. :(
Well... at least with Cry On, they can late port to PS3 for double dipping, right? :D

Lightning

Banned
duckroll said:
I think it's more that Japan don't give a fuck about the 360.

jarrod said:
Without improved JP support though, 360 (and later platforms) won't accelerate beyond Xbox in western markets either. To have a broad base, you need a broad library and some diversity... and honestly, I'd say 360's massively improved JP library has made it an easier sell for lots of core gamers in the west already.

Yeah but I think it's better to spend on money on developing western games since they sell alot better in western markets, while also selling decently in Japan. Whereas atm these Japanese developed games sell bad in all markets.

harSon

Banned
duckroll said:

Possibly :p I thought the character designer was from Panzer Dragoon! I guess I misread...

BishopLamont said:
Yeah but I think it's better to spend on money on developing western games since they sell alot better in western markets, while also selling decently in Japan. Whereas atm these Japanese developed games sell bad in all markets.

They were trying to open the gates a little to Japan. They budged it open a tad with Blue Dragon and I thought Lost Odyssey was going to crack it open further... but yeah.

rhino4evr

If Galaxy does less then 1 million I will be seriously surprised. With the increase in userbase, and the excellent word of mouth this game should receive. I can't imagine it doing worse then Sunshine. It should be a constant seller just like WiiSports and WiiFit.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
duckroll said:
Oh God...!

It's the second time you mentioning staff details makes me interested in a game that was off my radar, duckroll. :lol
McDragon said:
Don't be haten' now, i liked his/her art.
He.

duckroll

harSon said:
Possibly :p I thought the character designer was from Panzer Dragoon! I guess I misread...

Kusonoki is the art director now I believe, but he isn't going to move any units either. Let's face it, the last game he DIRECTED was Ghost Vibration. Sure as hell didn't set any charts on fire. :lol

Defuser

AltogetherAndrews said:
What the fuck kind of name is Cry On anyway?
From wiki:
The theme of Cry On is tears, both of sadness and joy. Players will take control of main character Sally in this action adventure, working through scenarios designed to evoke an emotional response.

Cry On takes place in a world where people live amongst giant sand creatures. Sally is in the company of one of them, a creature named Bogle, and fights alongside it. Although normally tiny, Bogle can transform into a giant beast to fight. He'll do so when Sally is in danger. The game promises to give players the perspective not just of Sally, but of Bogle as well. The game will play out with portions from both characters' perspectives.

In a recent interview with Electronic Gaming Monthly; Sakaguchi stated that the goal of Cry On is to make players cry every 15 minutes.

I would be crying...but from laughter.

Nolan.

Defuser said:
Sakaguchi rather 69 a buffalo than to consider a ps3 port.

AQ is publishing though so he wouldn't have a choice if they chose to no?, also AQ had a game listed for ps3 in Cry- on's genre.

Stumpokapow said:
Supposedly is that the idea is so emotionally gripping that you'll cry every fifteen minutes. :lol

Oh good grief. I don't know what's worse, the intention or the mere idea that it would actually work.

As for WiiFit, and the Wii, I guess it's time to give some credit where credit is due. I think the current direction is a terrible thing myself, but you have to hand it to Nintendo, the company knows how to make ridiculous hits like no other company.

doicare

BishopLamont said:
And what are you adding to this thread besides insulting others?

No your right he should be allowed to be as much of a nintendo fanboy as he wants whilst saying silly things and insulting others and nobody should say anything.

harSon

Banned
Nolan. said:
Cavia is publishing though so he wouldn't have a choice if they chose to no?, also Cavia had a game listed for ps3 in Cry- on's genre.

Cry-On is being published by AQ Interactive. Going by Sakaguchi's past interviews, I wouldn't get my hopes up for a Sakaguchi developed Playstation 3 game. Especially when the game was announced in 2005, back when the Playstation brand was still headed by Kutaragi.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
So Cry On is insta-shit already? Well, I'll keep track of the artwork, I got a Seere/Golem vibe from the one I saw.

rhino4evr said:
If Galaxy does less then 1 million I will be seriously surprised. With the increase in userbase, and the excellent word of mouth this game should receive. I can't imagine it doing worse then Sunshine. It should be a constant seller just like WiiSports and WiiFit.

I'm not that sure, but it seems that Wii Fit fueled it a little bit. If we suppose that until the first week of January sales will probaly only go up, I would say that reach Super Mario Sunshine is not out of question. But there are anothers 300k copies to sell and it's not easy as many think. We are already almost in the middle of December now.

Top Bottom