• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/26 - 12/2 2007

Nolan.

harSon said:
Cry-On is being published by AQ Interactive. Going by Sakaguchi's past interviews, I wouldn't get my hopes up for a Sakaguchi developed Playstation 3 game. Especially when the game was announced in 2005, back when the Playstation brand was still headed by Kutaragi.

Yeah meant aq, plus aq wants to be as profitable as anyone else sakaguchi having angst towards a platform isn't their problem.

harSon

Banned
Nolan. said:
Yeah meant aq, plus aq wants to be as profitable as anyone else sakaguchi having angst towards a platform isn't their problem.

Doesn't Microsoft have a 3 title exclusive deal set with Mistwalker anyways?

AltogetherAndrews said:
If that crap about making people Cry On is true, then it is insta-shit.

Good god :lol Maybe his words were out of context or he could have been exaggerating. I'm pretty sure he just means the goal is to make the players 'feel' for the characters and their story.

Lightning

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Oh good grief. I don't know what's worse, the intention or the mere idea that it would actually work.

As for WiiFit, and the Wii, I guess it's time to give some credit where credit is due. I think the current direction is a terrible thing myself, but you have to hand it to Nintendo, the company knows how to make ridiculous hits like no other company.
Yeah, WiiFit is taking Japan gaming where I don't want it to go but you have to hand it to Nintendo for having the balls to try something like this and congratulate them for actually succeeding. It just goes to show, if companies like Sony and Square think outside the box they can reap the rewards as well.

Defuser

harSon said:
Microsoft financially funded Mistwalker studio.

Lightning said:
Yeah, WiiFit is taking Japan gaming where I don't want it to go but you have to hand it to Nintendo for having the balls to try something like this and congratulate them for actually succeeding.
Balls? Nintendo already have balls ever since they introduce DS.

Nolan.

harSon said:

Good god :lol Maybe his words were out of context or he could have been exaggerating. I'm pretty sure he just means the goal is to make the players 'feel' for the characters and their story.

There are still unknown projects that Sakaguchi's working on I think, so maybe that last title hasn't been revealed yet. Cry-on maybe well end up being exclusive anyway. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they ported it, thats assuming it's alive anymore.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Lightning said:
Yeah, WiiFit is taking Japan gaming where I don't want it to go but you have to hand it to Nintendo for having the balls to try something like this and congratulate them for actually succeeding. It just goes to show, if companies like Sony and Square think outside the box they can reap the rewards as well.

I think gaming in Japan is already there... Nintendo is just the one taking advantage of it.

Defuser

Nolan. said:
Though I wouldn't be surprised if they ported it, thats assuming it's alive anymore.
Past few posts already say sakaguchi owns stock in AQI therefore porting is out of the question.

verplant

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I'm not that sure, but it seems that Wii Fit fueled it a little bit. If we suppose that until the first week of January sales will probaly only go up, I would say that reach Super Mario Sunshine is not out of question. But there are anothers 300k copies to sell and it's not easy as many think. We are already almost in the middle of December now.

week ending dec 9: 49,000 / 500,000
---------------------------------------------
week ending dec 16: 75,000 / 575,000
week ending dec 23: 100,000 / 675,000
week ending dec 30: 75,000 / 750,000
week ending jan 06: 40,000 / 790,000
week ending jan 13: 20,000 / 805,000

I don't see a problem here.

Nolan.

Defuser said:
Past few posts already say sakaguchi owns stock in AQI therefore porting is out of the question.

Didn't Aq port Vampire's Rain to the ps3, or is it only projects Sakaguchi's involved with.?

Culex

Banned
If these numbers translate to Media Create roughly the same, then things will be very interesting.

Sony should be seriously worried now, too. Approaching the end of year, where sales always bump up drastically, and the PS3 barely beats it's previous week. Ouch.

jarrod

Banned
BishopLamont said:
Yeah but I think it's better to spend on money on developing western games since they sell alot better in western markets, while also selling decently in Japan. Whereas atm these Japanese developed games sell bad in all markets.
You miss the point though... JP games make the overall library more appealing everywhere, not just Japan. Plus, tons of JP games have gone on to be huge worldwide successes (Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Lumines Live, DOA4, PES6, etc). They definitely add to 360's worldwide appeal, and without them 360 would be doing worse in *every* market most likely.

Besides, if not for having titles like Blue Dragon & Ace Combat 6 to blaze the way, who's to say if 360 would have an active enough JP base to pull in decent AC or Oblivion sales even?

harSon said:
Who said Cry On's the 3rd game though? What happened to Gooch's rumored 360 MMORPG?

McDragon said:
Cavia are mostly 360 this gen.

Bullet Witch, Zegapain XOR and Cry On.
They also have a tba PS3 ARPG in the works though. Also, some Wii stuff I'd imagine.

doicare said:
No your right he should be allowed to be as much of a nintendo fanboy as he wants whilst saying silly things and insulting others and nobody should say anything.

What's so fanboyish about what he said? Uncharted and NMH doesn't make for a very good comparison since ones small budget and ones big budget.

verplant said:

I don't see a problem here.

SMS: 49,000 / 500,000 WE: Dec 16th
SMG: 47,000 / 500,100 WE: Dec 16th

Wow SMG is tracking so similiar to SMS at this point.

jarrod said:
You miss the point though... JP games make the overall library more appealing everywhere, not just Japan. Plus, tons of JP games have gone on to be huge worldwide successes (Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Lumines Live, DOA4, PES6, etc). They definitely add to 360's worldwide appeal, and without them 360 would be doing worse in *every* market most likely.

Besides, if not for having titles like Blue Dragon & Ace Combat 6 to blaze the way, who's to say if 360 would have an active enough JP base to pull in decent AC or Oblivion sales even?.

Well I'm talking more about MS funding these Japanese developed games, where money is better spent developing western games. Not games not funded by MS.

JoshuaJSlone said:
MP2 did 1.07m.
Ah MP8 should still beat it out in the end though. SE really dropped the ball on DQIV supply, DQM:J did alot better at this point.

schuelma said:
One more note- For all the "Wii will destroy gaming" people- it certainly appears that the renewed interest in the Wii thanks to Wii Fit is leading to some solid software titles for the so called "real games".
It is common for games and hardware to boost in December/January. I think Wii Fit specifically is getting too much credit. Wii continues to behave like younger PS2 at this time of year, though that still leaves a hell of a big range as to what it might do in the next few weeks.

Oh, and if those hardware numbers are as reliable as usual, Wii has passed GCN by Famitsu's reckoning.
BishopLamont said:
Mario Party 4 did 902,827 according to Moor's site, and unless MP 1-3 did anything above it then yes MP8 is the best selling Mario Party at 918,000.
It seems MP2 did 1.07m.
BishopLamont said:
Oh and can someone post data on what DQM:J did on first week, second week and so on?
According to Famitsu,
11K (shortages)

and another 300+K after that.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I'm not that sure, but it seems that Wii Fit fueled it a little bit. If we suppose that until the first week of January sales will probaly only go up, I would say that reach Super Mario Sunshine is not out of question. But there are anothers 300k copies to sell and it's not easy as many think. We are already almost in the middle of December now.

I´m sure SMG will not reach the 1 million mark,and even I would find pretty surprising if it reach SMS numbers...

I found SMG performance a little low,really...,and that´s sad.....

Defuser said:

How much stock?....,because if it is a 10% I wouldn´t say a port is out of the question.....

How much "Bullet Witch" failures can stand AQI before considering the multiplatform way?....

Lightning

Banned
BishopLamont said:
What's so fanboyish about what he said? Uncharted and NMH doesn't make for a very good comparison since ones small budget and ones big budget.
I don't know about NMH but Uncharted doesn't even appeal to the Japan market, so why compare it to anything? Regardless of budget. It as a high budget for sales in EU/US not Japan.

harSon

Banned
Nolan. said:
Didn't Aq port Vampire's Rain to the ps3, or is it only projects Sakaguchi's involved with.?

Vampire Rain was planned for the Playstation 3 from the very beginning, it was announced back in 2005.

I'm pretty sure Cry-On is that third game. A 360 MMO was touched upon but nothing but a verbal commitment has been released. He also mentioned a Blue Dragon sequel but I'm guessing the DS title was the game he was talking about.

doicare

BishopLamont said:

Well for starters he didn't have to comment on the post. Next up he could have just said: "What's up with the Uncharted and No More Heroes comparison anyway? I don't see how you can compare such completely different games."

But he didn't, he added "Or has Sony fans hit a new low?". Apart from the poor grammar that extra sentence is just a troll post.

Nolan.

harSon said:
Vampire Rain was planned for the Playstation 3 from the very beginning, it was announced back in 2005.

I'm pretty sure Cry-On is that third game. A 360 MMO was touched upon but nothing but a verbal commitment has been released. He also mentioned a Blue Dragon sequel but I'm guessing the DS title was the game he was talking about.

It might have been planned from the beggining, but it wasn't publicly known until a little after the 360 version was released. Though thats not the point I was making, was trying to say they can do ps3 games. Like I said though Cry-on might be that game, though I would have expected the game to be Ms published so it's locked in. As for Bd I doubt the ds game is a sequel, it sounded more like a spin off.

test_account

XP-39C²
BishopLamont said:

No one really compared the 2 games, duckroll just made a joke comment about it. And its the last comment that makes it into a fanboy comment sorta: "Or has Sony fans hit a new low?". It indicates that Sony fans usually are "low".

Some of Frillen's comments are oozing with anti-Sony stuff. I've seen other people also mentioning simular to his comments so i'm not the only one who have noticed it. Its the way he writes those comments that makes it so annyoing. Sorry to say it Frillen, but some of your anti-Sony comments are getting really annoying sometimes :/

Jokeropia

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
There are four holiday weeks left, not including the one we just got leaked numbers for.
verplant said:
The numbers might turn out like that, but the weeks probably need to be shuffled a bit. The first week of January tend to be bigger than both the week ending dec 16 and the week ending dec 30, for example.
Relaxed Muscle said:
I´m sure SMG will not reach the 1 million mark,and even I would find pretty surprising if it reach SMS numbers...
It rose this week. Why do you not expect it to keep rising as the biggest holiday weeks approach?

harSon

Banned
Nolan. said:
It might have been planned from the beggining, but it wasn't publicly known until a little after the 360 version was released. Though thats not the point I was making, was trying o say they can do ps3 games. Like I said though Cry-on might be that game, though I would have expected the game to be Ms published so it's locked in. As for Bd I doubt the ds game is a sequel, it sounded more like a spin off.

The Playstation 3 port was announced in 2005:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/680/680751p1.html
More details are known on the company's plans for the PS3.Vampire's Rain, which is being developed at Artoon for the Xbox 360 but will also be released on the PlayStation 3. Artoon CEO and one of the creative forces in the creation of the Sonic the Hedgehog series, Naoto Oshima, is working directly on this title, and promises a game that makes vampires scary once again.

I'm not even sure their original Playstation 3 projects exist anymore. Typically when you don't hear anything about a project for two years, it's either in jeopardy of being canceled or already canceled.

Lightning said:
I don't know about NMH but Uncharted doesn't even appeal to the Japan market, so why compare it to anything? Regardless of budget. It as a high budget for sales in EU/US not Japan.
Well yeah that's my point, the two games shouldn't be compared.

doicare said:
Well for starters he didn't have to comment on the post. Next up he could have just said: "What's up with the Uncharted and No More Heroes comparison anyway? I don't see how you can compare such completely different games."

But he didn't, he added "Or has Sony fans hit a new low?". Apart from the poor grammar that extra sentence is just a troll post.

And you coming in here calling him a Nintendo fanboy isn't trolling? At least he's discussing something relevant to the topic, you on the other hand isn't.

test_account said:
No one really compared the 2 games, duckroll just made a joke comment about it. And its the last comment that makes it into a fanboy comment sorta: "Or has Sony fans hit a new low?". It indicates that Sony fans usually are "low".

Some of Frillen's comments are oozing with anti-Sony stuff. I've seen other people also mentioning simular to his comments so i'm not the only one who have noticed it. Its the way he writes those comments that makes it so annyoing. Sorry to say it Frillen, but some of your anti-Sony comments are getting really annoying sometimes :/

Well I don't really find it annoying as some of you do, since there is some truth to what he said.

BishopLamont said:
At least he's discussing something relevant to the topic, you on the other hand isn't.

12b3.jpg

jarrod

Banned
BishopLamont said:
Well I'm talking more about MS funding these Japanese developed games, where money is better spent developing western games. Not games not funded by MS.
Sure, but even some of those 3rd party games are seeing MS funding... I just don't think they're making awful moves in Japan this round, they're actually making the sort of moves that should've against PS2 imo. The problem is more the overall makert shift rather than some inherent miscalculation on Microsoft's part.

Still, JP games *are* important for 360 and I don't want to see Microsoft give up on them... it'd be a big mistake imo.

Relaxed Muscle said:
Passing Sunshine probably won't be a problem, but 1m might be a stretch. Never know though, it could imitate the DS Mario games and secretly rack up decent catalog sales outside the top 10 for some time...

Relaxed Muscle said:
How much stock?....,because if it is a 10% I wouldn´t say a port is out of the question.....

How much "Bullet Witch" failures can stand AQI before considering the Wii way?....
Fixed. Porting "Bullet Witch" failures to PS3 so they can fail harder isn't going to help AQI long term. :lol

Loudninja

BishopLamont said:
Well yeah that's my point, the two games shouldn't be compared.

And you coming in here calling him a Nintendo fanboy isn't trolling? At least he's discussing something relevant to the topic, you on the other hand isn't.

Oh come on , now you just been unfair

Jokeropia said:
It rose this week. Why do you not expect it to keep rising as the biggest holiday weeks approach?

I think Wiifit is gonna steal a lot of SMG possible buyers....

There´s some strong and popular weeks coming,but I´m not seeing SMG getting good numbers....

I hope I´m wrong.

doicare

BishopLamont said:

I'm just responding on his level, and again we come back to, no your right nobody should comment on his fanboy posts that are silly and insulting to others...

Relaxed Muscle said:
I think Wiifit is gonna steal a lot of SMG possible buyers....

There´s some strong and popular weeks coming,but I´m not seeing SMG getting good numbers....

I hope I´m wrong.

I doubt a casual game like WiiFit will steal sales from a hardcore game like SMG, on the contrary I think it'll help since it's pushing more hardware out.

doicare said:
I'm just responding on his level, and again we come back to, no your right nobody should comment on his fanboy posts that are silly and insulting to others...

Meh do what you like, I don't even know why I'm defending him in the first place.

test_account

XP-39C²
jarrod said:
I find it refreshing! <3 <3

We got different opinions then hehe :p

BishopLamont said:
Well I don't really find it annoying as some of you do, since there is some truth to what he said.

Thats true, and i dont mind his opinions either, but its the way he writes some of these comments that makes it so annyoing in my opinion, even what he say is true or partily true.

Culex

Banned
On a side note, last month's NPD's were sidestepped by Sony fans with the PS3 outselling the Wii in Japan. What will they use as a distraction this month?

jarrod said:
Fixed. Porting "Bullet Witch" failures to PS3 so they can fail harder isn't going to help AQI long term. :lol

Agh,u really want to see the Drag-on Dragoon engine again? :lol

The multiplatform,is the choice of some of the major Japanese Publishers,why not AQI?...

And isn´t becoming a major publisher one of their objectives?...It would be hard just doing Wii projects....

ethelred

BishopLamont said:
SE really dropped the ball on DQIV supply, DQM:J did alot better at this point.

How did Square Enix drop the ball on supply? Do you have any idea what the retail availability is? Dragon Quest IV is doing fine, by the way. It was tracking almost identically to the PlayStation remake, though it took a fairly surprising drop in week 3.

Wii Fit's success, and Wii Sport's of course, makes me curious what Nintendo has in line with Wii Music. If they do it right, they could have their Guitar Hero/Rock Band(if this one takes off) killer.

I suspect that Nintendo will unveil Wii Music at E3 next year and will sell it as the next Wii Game title.

BishopLamont said:
I doubt a casual game like WiiFit will steal sales from a hardcore game like SMG, on the contrary I think it'll help since it's pushing more hardware out.

Really?...I know all those ad with young females playing with their boyfriends were directed to me...,but I´m not sure at all... :lol

The true is SMG is for hardcore gamers and casuals....,at least was Nintendo intention,just like they did with Mario DS....

ethelred said:
How did Square Enix drop the ball on supply? Do you have any idea what the retail availability is? Dragon Quest IV is doing fine, by the way. It was tracking almost identically to the PlayStation remake, though it took a fairly surprising drop in week 3.

I thought it was supply constrained after first week?

test_account

XP-39C²
Loudninja said:
Ok, besides GT5, anything else coming out this year?

For PS3? If so, Time Crisis 4 is comming 22th December if i'm not mistaken. There are som other PS3 games too, but i dont think any of them will do more than ~20k.

Loudninja

test_account said:
For PS3? If so, Time Crisis 4 is comming 22th December if i'm not mistaken. There are som other PS3 games too, but i dont think any of them will do more than ~20k.

Not just for the PS3, for the 360 and the Wii as well?

Top Bottom