• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/5 - 11/11 2007

test_account

XP-39C²
Frillen said:
Like someone else mentioned. How much do you think the Wii would have sold if in just a day if Nintendo released; A white Wii with HDD, price cut and let's say Monster Hunter 3. I'm saying 200k+.

How much do you think PS3 would have sold with a pricecut down to Wii price, getting the EE and GS chips back and retail version of GT5? ;)

spwolf

Frillen said:
Like someone else mentioned. How much do you think the Wii would have sold if in just a day if Nintendo released; A white Wii with HDD, price cut and let's say Monster Hunter 3. I'm saying 200k+.

You mean Black Wii, with $25 cut in price and no GC compatiblity?
Wii did have what was supposed to be amazingly huge release that tanked so I really dont get the point about software, 2 weeks ago everyone would think SMG was much bigger than DW, but apperantly not.

Gaborn

test_account said:
How much do you think PS3 would have sold with a pricecut down to Wii price, getting the EE and GS chips back and retail version of GT5? ;)

Who is in the better position to achieve either of those scenarios, Nintendo or Sony?

test_account

XP-39C²
Gaborn said:
Who is in the better position to achieve either of those scenarios, Nintendo or Sony?

Between those 2 senarios, i would say Nintendo, but its hard to say for sure. Its not a given atleast.

Nintendo

- Pricecut: Maybe. Depends on if the cut will be big enough to boost the sales to such a level.
- Wii getting a HDD: So far it doesnt look like it.
- Game: Hard to say exactly how popular Monster Hunter 3 will be. The Monster Hunter games on PS2 did somewhat 150k the first week in average.
- System seller: Hard to say, but i wouldnt think so. Atleast not a huge boost in hardware sales.

Sony

- Pricecut: Its not that long until the final version of GT5 is out so i dont think there will be any big price cuts before this.
- PS3 getting EE and GS chips back: So far it doesnt look like it.
- Game: The GT games for PS2 sold about 500k in average the first week. Hard to say what the GT5 will do.
- System seller: To some extend yes. More than MH3 in my opinion.

Who will sell most systems based on GT5 and MH3, to me its impossible to say, but if i had to bet i would place my money on GT5.

ksamedi

spwolf said:
Wii did have what was supposed to be amazingly huge release that tanked so I really dont get the point about software, 2 weeks ago everyone would think SMG was much bigger than DW, but apperantly not.

So, tell me something. What makes you such a blind Sony fanboy? There is nothing wrong with liking them by the way, I like them too but you are almost blindly in love.

Moor-Angol said:
Looking at the chart i convince more and more myself that people consider 35-40k a "weak sales week" due to impressive DS numbers we got used in the last 2 years...

Yeah. I've been in here talking (relative) smack about Wii software, but I want to distance myself from the crazies like spwolf. Wii's hardware performance is still pretty good and the Ceramibump for PS3 isn't very impressive unless it can stabilize well above its old level. (That's not impossible -- PSP did it -- but then the PSP has much more going for it hardware-wise than the PS3....)

In other news, decent day-ones for UC. If there's a decent supply the game could go on to do good (300-400k) numbers. If it's sold out this week and can't be resupplied until mid-December when everyone's already beaten it and sold it back... well.... that's not super-awesome. :lol

ksamedi

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
If PS2 went down almost to pathetical levels, I wonder why so many people here are saying that Wii's performance is since 11 weeks so bad. We know all that PS2 reached 20+ millions in Japan, so what is the problem with Wii ?

I can tell you that Nintendo is not happy with 20 million. They designed the machine specificfally to do much more than that, something like 30 million.

ksamedi said:
I can tell you that Nintendo is not happy with 20 million. They designed the machine specificfally to do much more than that, something like 30 million.
Yeah, they designed the console to sell 30 million units in Japan....

WTF??!? They took a wild guess with this generation. They took in consideration that the Wii could bomb horribly too, you know.
I think Nintendo would be pretty happy with 20million units out in Japan. That's 5 times as much as it's predecessor.

ksamedi

Souldriver said:
Yeah, they designed the console to sell 30 million units in Japan....

WTF??!? They took a wild guess with this generation. They took in consideration that the Wii could bomb horribly too, you know.
I think Nintendo would be pretty happy with 20million units out in Japan. That's 5 times as much as it's predecessor.

Well I didn't mean they meant to sell 30 but the Wii is designed to expand the sales and grow the Japanese market. Yes it was a risk but you take risks to accomplish something big. And no, I don't think they would be happy with 20 million because that would mean they didn't expand the gaming market.

Weisheit

ksamedi said:
Well I didn't mean they meant to sell 30 but the Wii is designed to expand the sales and grow the Japanese market. Yes it was a risk but you take risks to accomplish something big. And no, I don't think they would be happy with 20 million because that would mean they didn't expand the gaming market.
I don't know that Nintendo gives a shit about expanding the market so much as expanding their market.

test_account

XP-39C²
ksamedi said:

If Nintendo isnt happy with 20 million sold consoles and hundres of millions in profit i wonder what will make them happy. Sure, they want to sell more of course, but saying that they are not happy with such a superb accomplishment, i dont agree to that.

ksamedi

Weisheit said:
I don't know that Nintendo gives a shit about expanding the market so much as expanding their market.

I can see them being happy with what they have but the ultimate goal is to expand even further, I remember Iwata complaining about the US performance of the DS which is normal because if it expanded the market it would have sold 1 million a month.

LOcKY

let me quote you a phrase from a BBC programe called Only fools and horses...

"He who dares Wins"

Nintendo Dared and most likely Wins (financially)

ksamedi said:

There's about 55 million households in Japan. If Nintendo really believe in blue ocean then thats the number they want to hit.

Weisheit said:

To achieve the latter they need to achieve the former.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
If PS2 went down almost to pathetical levels, I wonder why so many people here are saying that Wii's performance is since 11 weeks so bad. We know all that PS2 reached 20+ millions in Japan, so what is the problem with Wii ?
It's bad compared to what they were doing before, and what PS2 might've been capable of without such awful shortages. Here's that comparison taken out another year; should be interesting to see how much Wii can match that.
http://joshuajamesslone.name/gamech...acker[0]=fam&system[1]=Wii&date[1]=2006-11-27

On a separate note, are there any simple lists online that have information on Japanese games, their Japanese/English titles, release dates, and maybe more? There are plenty of places* to find some of that information, but it's very spread-out, mismatched, and incomplete, so not very good as a reference material.

*The translations found in our own Top X lists sat next to Japanese originals, severely incomplete Wikipedia lists and the games they link to, MobyGames.

Saitou

Banned
LOcKY said:

"He who dares Wins"

"Who Dares Wins" is actually the motto of the R.A.F., if I recall correctly.

noonche

ksamedi said:

What? Selling 20 million wouldn't mean they didn't expand the market. They wouldn't have expanded the market if they sold all 20 million to PS2 owners. Nintendo can expand the market by only selling 5-10 million Wiis; as long as people they are selling to people that don't normally play games.

Frillen

spwolf said:

I meant a black Wii yes. Anyway, when did the MH franshise become as big as the GT franshise?

Moor-Angol said:
Looking at the chart i convince more and more myself that people consider 35-40k a "weak sales week" due to impressive DS numbers we got used in the last 2 years...
It's weak compared to what Wii has been able to achieve earlier.

Loudninja said:
Interesting. I thought the 40G would be more popular (esp. with the white one). But it's not really wow-worthy.

Frillen

test_account said:
When the 2nd game came out for PSP. It has sold more than GT4 and it looks like its going to sell more than GT3 also.

And when did the console MH becomes as big as the portable MH?

Lobster said:
Nintendo ALWAYS wins financially.

Don't be always to trollish. We know that Nintendo economically is now more powerful then ever.
Anyway, I hope that all this money will translate in more big AAA games. Possibly more RPG and new IPs.

spwolf

Phife Dawg said:
Interesting. I thought the 40G would be more popular (esp. with the white one). But it's not really wow-worthy.

they are reffering to 62k (which is weekly sales) so it could be that 60% is from the weekly sales, which does make sense and make those "first day" sales in realm of 85% for 40 GB.

But again, 40 GB is only 40$ or so cheaper than 20 GB. It was not an huge price drop in japan.

Timbuktu

LOcKY said:

"He who dares Wins"

530378517_27995c60a4.jpg
?

COD4 players should be familiar with this.

Lobster

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Don't be always to trollish. We know that Nintendo economically is now more powerful then ever.
Anyway, I hope that all this money will translate in more big AAA games. Possibly more RPG and new IPs.

They sold the least cubes last gen yet they made the most profit on them. Nintendo is good financially, they always win financially.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mc-weekly-pie-49.jpg

mc-weekly-line-49.jpg

Weekly Sales Thoughts
First of all, the PS3 just had it's best week this year at 55k. If not for that, one might notice that the Wii is actually staging a decent post-sales lull comeback and looks to be ramping up for the holidays. The question is whether the PS3 can sustain a comeback in this obviously casual market, and for how long. The next most important question is not about sustained PS3 success, but whether the Wii has already seen it's best days or if heaven is yet to come. Whether all may acknowledge it or not, I believe the apparent beginning struggles of Galaxy point to the idea that Nintendo is on the right track...at least on its own products. Wii Fit is going to be huge. I think the Wii will continue to rise and the PS3 will return to the pack, perhaps a bit higher than before, knowing that it can take at least one week per year from the Wii. This can only lead to better things.

mc-LTD-49.jpg

mc-marketshare-pie-49.jpg

LTD and Market Share Thoughts
The PS3 just had an amazing week at 55k, and finally gained back a little ground that it has been giving up since day one. The spread currently sits at 2,477,947. One interesting note is that the gains in market share for the PS3 came almost entirely at the cost of the Wii market share; the Wii lost .57% and the 360, only .04%.

mc-marketshare-line-49.jpg

I find the apparent crest of the Wii market share (sometime in august around 70%) and convex appearance, compared to the PS3's market share which appears concave and looks to be climbing to be the most interesting thing about all of this. Has the PS3 turned the corner? Has the Wii seen it's best days behind? Or is this a one week thing in which we should expect all things to return to relative normalcy next week?

I expect the Wii to continue to make gains (38k), and I expect the PS3 to return a little to the pack (32k) next week. The next couple months will be the defining moment in the battle, as the Wii will either assert itself (without debate) as the hands-down favorite of this gen, rejecting with it the cost and complexity of the hardcore days of yore, or the PS3 will come out swingin', ready to tell the world that gaming is more than a hobby, more than a diversion for people who would rather be knitting or doing crosswords. It will probably be somewhere in between. As always, we'll have to wait and see.

spwolf said:
they are reffering to 62k (which is weekly sales) so it could be that 60% is from the weekly sales, which does make sense and make those "first day" sales in realm of 85% for 40 GB.

But again, 40 GB is only 40$ or so cheaper than 20 GB. It was not an huge price drop in japan.
I did not refer to the price drop in my post but to the new systems and especially the new colour (white).

PantherLotus said:
One interesting note is that the gains in market share for the PS3 came almost entirely at the cost of the Wii market share; the Wii lost .57% and the 360, only .04%.
The Wii had much more to lose. We need to look at percents... of percents.
If Wii is at 68.29% down from 68.86%, it lost 0.8% of its share.
If X360 is at 8.19% down from 8.23%, it lost 0.5% of its share.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
JoshuaJSlone said:
The Wii had much more to lose. We need to look at percents... of percents.
If Wii is at 68.29% down from 68.86%, it lost 0.8% of its share.
If X360 is at 8.19% down from 8.23%, it lost 0.5% of its share.

Clearly. I was speaking in a perspective of total market share, while you're thinking in a singular sense for each. The comparison holds, though, and shows how big of a week the PS3 really did have. But if we look at the total curve, Sony has a long freakin' way to go.

Edit:
Moreover, I think it's even more indicative if we observe the total weekly sales share of each console, where the 360 stayed relatively stable (and has actually climbed out of the 2-3k per week thing), and the Wii has slumped into the 30k per week thing, which also supports the initial conclusion (PS3 sales are coming at the expense of Wii sales).

Edit II:
One might also note the two previous biggest bumps for the PS3. Notice the Wii sales during the same weeks? Coincidence? I think not! This is clearly a head to head battle for the hardcore. ;)

Innotech

Banned
I guess its lowered expectations when 50-60k for a week is considered a turnaround.
Especially when the Wii has had several 100k+ weeks and many above 75k.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Innotech said:
I guess its lowered expectations when 50-60k for a week is considered a turnaround.
Especially when the Wii has had several 100k+ weeks and many above 75k.

1. PS3's biggest week of the year
2. Finally surpassing a slumping Wii
3. Highest sales during a slow period
4. Potentially gaining momentum.

Now I'll be the first to say it's a minor achievement in the face of Wii success, but it is clearly more than nothing. Let's not discount it because your favorite console wasn't #1 this week. Give props where they're due. If nothing else, it proves that certain things can motivate the Japanese audience to go out and buy those things.

sphinx

the piano man
what is everyone's guess?

will next week be PS3 > Wii too? or back to normal?

I think it will be VERY close. Whatevecr console wins, it won't be by much.

Lobster

Banned
sphinx said:
what is everyone's guess?

will next week be PS3 > Wii too? or back to normal?

I think it will be VERY close. Whatevecr console wins, it won't be by much.

Wii will win thanks to UC.

test_account

XP-39C²
Frillen said:
And when did the console MH becomes as big as the portable MH?

That never happend. You said the MH franchise, the MHP games are part of the MH franchise too. The way you ask it seems like you already know the answer so why do you ask?

test_account

XP-39C²
stilgar said:

Ye, i know its a retorical question, but what i wonder is what hes trying to prove/point out with the question.

titiklabingapat said:
It doesn;t mean much because most of Japan probably don't use the internet to shop but the Wii sold out on Amazon.com, and the third party retailer supplying the supply is charging extra(or maybe the extra 6800 is just tax?).

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B000WN67L6/

Its back in stock now :)

Top Bottom