• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/5 - 11/11 2007

schuelma said:
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that many Japanese stocks have been falling, due to the U.S economic outlook?

Japan is like the second biggest trading partner of the U.S. behind China so that makes sense. How's Sony's stock looking?

Ether_Snake said:
SMG isn't doing well for the same reasons Zelda didn't.

Wii is not the NDS.
Does that mean that you think p > q?

p = percentage of Wii owners that are NOT typically Nintendo fans
q = percentage of DS owners that are NOT typically Nintendo fans

That's the only implication I can find in your statement, and it seems ridiculous.

Tron 2.0

Dragona Akehi said:
I'm only saying it's too early to celebrate at all. If it sells, that's fab. But consider me slightly skeptical.
Thank you.

Let us all take a moment to remember that the GameCube was once the best selling console the month of its price drop.

The PS3 could very well continue to sell more than the Wii, but a single week's worth of sales is not a good indicator.

Tron 2.0

schuelma said:
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that many Japanese stocks have been falling, due to the U.S economic outlook?
Obviously it's because investors realize that Nintendo is doomed.

It couldn't possibly have any logical explanations like the US economic outlook or the beginnings of economic problems in Japan...

EDIT: Ick. Sorry for double post.

Lobster

Banned
Cmon Nintendo. You will have to notice this! Sony will practically rub this in your face! How can you not care at this point?

Vinnk

vinnksvillagemed.jpg

"Vinnk's Village" Anecdotal Report

It's been a while since my last report, but this week and the last have been very interesting, so I thought I would do another one.

This week I was asked to look for Wii, PS3, Biohazard Umbrella Chronicles, Super Mario Galaxy and Castlevania for the PSP. I visited the stores on Thursday, November 15th, 2007.

Jusco
Wii: 2
PS3: 14
B:UC: 4
Castlevania: Sold out
Super Mario Galaxy: 6

Youme Town
Wii: 3
PS3: 11
B:UC: 2
Castlevania: 1
Super Mario Galaxy: 8

Mr. Max
Wii: Sold Out
PS3: Sold Out
B:UC: Sold Out
Castlevania: Sold out or didn’t order (very small PSP selection)
Super Mario Galaxy: 4

Book-Net
Wii: 2
PS3: 5
B:UC: Sold Out
Super Mario Galaxy: 5

Goody
Wii: Sold out
PS3: 0 new (8 used)
B:UC: Sold out or didn’t order it
Castlevania: Sold out or didn’t order it
Super Mario Galaxy: 1

Best Denki
Wii: 5
PS3: 13
B:UC: 3
Castlevania: Sold out
Super Mario Galaxy: 11

Wanpaku
Wii: 3
PS3: 9
B:UC: 8
Castlevania: 2
Super Mario Galaxy: 15

Famicom Dojo
Wii: 0 new (1 used)
PS3: 0 new (3 used)
B:UC: Sold out
Castlevania: Didn’t order it
Super Mario Galaxy: 1

Yamada Denki
Wii: 6
PS3: 10
B:UC: 7
Super Mario Galaxy: 13

TOTALS:
Wii: 21*
PS3: 62*
B:UC: 24
Castlevania: 5
Super Mario Galaxy: 64

*Totals do not include used systems since I didn’t could them at all the stores.

NOTES:

1. Since about mid-August the Wii has not been supply constrained. You won’t see tall stacks of them here like you will in Osaka or Tokyo, but if you want one you can get one. There aren’t as many in stores this week as there have been recently. Either they are starting to sell better in my city or retailers just aren’t ordering as many.

2. DS is not supply constrained. You still might have to go to a few stores to find your perfect color, but in general anyone can get a DS who wants one. I don’t count individual units anymore because there is no longer a point in doing so. I will count them again around the holidays. Or earlier if something changes that would make those numbers worthwhile or interesting. Same goes for the PSP which is just as plentiful if not more.

3. Despite the lower-than-expected (at least by us) Super Mario Galaxy sales, there has been no “price collapse” or price drop at all. The retailers I spoke too are still confident that they will sell all their stock during the holidays.

4. I saw my first used copy if SMG yesterday. This is usually a bad sign that new sales will decrease. At least that what it usually means with RPGs. The same store had 8 used copies for Mario Kart DS so my theory might be slightly flawed.

5. PS3 is being pushed really hard. Store that were kind of hiding them away started moving them to the front a few weeks back for the price cut and the new model is getting even more attention. Everywhere I go I see posters for the white model. No sell-outs of the system but they seem to be moving pretty well.

6. There might be more Wii and PS3 systems than I am reporting. I count what is on the floor, in the display cases and on the back shelves that I can see, but stores might have more systems in backrooms out of view.

7. Eye of Judgment had a price reduction at 2 of the local game stores. It seems they want to get rid of them quickly because the big boxes take up a lot of retail space. DDR Hottest Party for Wii had a 2000 yen price reduction at one of the smaller stores for probably the same reason.

8. Takarajima Z is still very hard to find. Most stores never ordered it and never will. But that’s not surprising. If I was a game store and I saw that the title had sold so poorly, I wouldn’t’ go out of my way to get a shipment of it either.

9. Famicom Dojo has a record number of used PS3 systems in the store. 3! Hiro was able to get the systems for next to nothing because their owners were trading up for the white system. Hiro himself hates the new PS3 because a large portion of his business comes from selling used PS2 games. The lack of backwards compatibility might prove bad for business.

10. This week the local Otaku are, talking about Shin Sangoku Musou 5 and little else. Interestingly enough, I think more of them bought it for 360 than PS3. The ones who own Wii bought (and loved) Mario but the ones who don’t have a Wii already were not tempted to “Jump in”.

Previous Reports:

October 15th, 2007
September 6th, 2007
August 30th, 2007
August 11th,2007
July 26th, 2007
July 19th, 2007
July 12th, 2007
July 5th, 2007
June 28th, 2007
June 21st, 2007
June 14th, 2007
June 7th, 2007
May 30th, 2007
May 24th, 2007
May 17th, 2007
May 10th, 2007

Tron 2.0 said:
Thank you.

Let us all take a moment to remember that the GameCube was once the best selling console the month of its price drop.
Actually, I don't think that's the case.
Lobster said:
Cmon Nintendo. You will have to notice this! Sony will practically rub this in your face! How can you not care at this point?
Face? This boost allows PS3 to rub it in Wii's knees.

apujanata

3. Despite the lower-than-expected (at least by us) Super Mario Galaxy sales, there has been no “price collapse” or price drop at all. The retailers I spoke too are still confident that they will sell all their stock during the holidays.

4. I saw my first used copy if SMG yesterday. This is usually a bad sign that new sales will decrease. At least that what it usually means with RPGs. The same store had 8 used copies for Mario Kart DS so my theory might be slightly flawed.

5. PS3 is being pushed really hard. Store that were kind of hiding them away started moving them to the front a few weeks back for the price cut and the new model is getting even more attention. Everywhere I go I see posters for the white model. No sell-outs of the system but they seem to be moving pretty well.

7. Eye of Judgment had a price reduction at 2 of the local game stores. It seems they want to get rid of them quickly because the big boxes take up a lot of retail space. DDR Hottest Party for Wii had a 2000 yen price reduction at one of the smaller stores for probably the same reason.

8. Takarajima Z is still very hard to find. Most stores never ordered it and never will. But that’s not surprising. If I was a game store and I saw that the title had sold so poorly, I wouldn’t’ go out of my way to get a shipment of it either.

9. Famicom Dojo has a record number of used PS3 systems in the store. 3! Hiro was able to get the systems for next to nothing because their owners were trading up for the white system. Hiro himself hates the new PS3 because a large portion of his business comes from selling used PS2 games. The lack of backwards compatibility might prove bad for business.

10. This week the local Otaku are, talking about Shin Sangoku Musou 5 and little else. Interestingly enough, I think more of them bought it for 360 than PS3. The ones who own Wii bought (and loved) Mario but the ones who don’t have a Wii already were not tempted to “Jump in”.

Thanks for doing it again this week. I missed your excellent village report.
Poor Zack and Wiki.
Lol at point #9. Especially the "next to nothing" price.
#10 seem to indicate that SMG is NOT a system seller (at least for otaku).

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
This is nice and all, but by next week the PS3 will sell ~30k, and then down to ~20k. It won't maintain these legs.

Keio

For a Finer World
Great report, thanks Vinnk!

It's been quite a pair of weeks. First the 360 beats PS3, then PS3 crosses streams with Wii.

Too much drama, already!

Lobster

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Face? This boost allows PS3 to rub it in Wii's knees.

As if Sony will only go for the knees. They have pimped reaching 100k Ps3 sold in Australia by mentioning the Ps2 is the best selling console worldwide. They will definitely rub this in.

Awntawn

AlphaSnake said:
This is nice and all, but by next week the PS3 will sell ~30k, and then down to ~20k. It won't maintain these legs.
How about you read at least a few posts and gather up more facts before making your prediction? I guess that's too much effort ;o

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
AlphaSnake said:

This only includes 1 day sales of the 40Gig PS3 and DW6 and R&C...

Plus the fact that the biggest sales season of the year is about to begin.

Vinnk said:
So after being only able to temporarily unload one PS3, he's now got three to deal with?

Vinnk

JoshuaJSlone said:
So after being only able to temporarily unload one PS3, he's now got three to deal with?

They should go pretty quick. He is selling them for under 30,000yen and he bought them for almost nothing. He could lower them even more and still make a profit.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Awntawn said:
How about you read at least a few posts and gather up more facts before making your prediction? I guess that's too much effort ;o

Panties. Let me unbunch them.

justchris

Vinnk said:

Thanks, I was wondering about that. Retailer confidence counts for a lot. If they're still willing to sacrifice the space for it, there's a chance it may still do decently this holiday season.

Rolf NB

In other news, this week the PS3 undoes and makes up for the catching-up performed by the XBox 360 in the last week 209 times over. Fun with numbers. No, you probably shouldn't care.

Tideas said:
And then if you look at the userbase, more PS3 owners own more PS3 games than Wii owners...

Which is why I said, Wii owners bought their Wii for just Wiisport
Well it would be funny for Wii owners to own more PS3 games than PS3 owners.

Ether_Snake said:
As I predicted. Japanese gamers haven't turned their back on next-gen, but they were not ready to hop in right away. They were (and still are until late 2008) in a transitional phase, which is why NDS, PSP, PS2, and of course Wii have been selling so much. When their favorite series finally arrive, such as GT5, MGS, FF, RE5, etc., next-gen gaming in Japan will be much more strongly implemented, and before that time Japanese support will start to rise again, especially from the bigger companies like Square/Konami/Namco/Capcom.

They will continue to support the 360 as well because of the market outside Japan, where the console will remain in the lead. This new console generation is taking more time to implement itself probably because it will last longer than the previous one (at least as long as the PS2).

The PS3 will eventually be the top selling home console in Japan, as Wii sales lower considerably (Wii does not = NDS), with Nintendo releasing some new hardware in late 2009.

Same will happen outside Japan, except the 360 will be the top selling home console.
It's all about that 10 year plan, you knew all along, didn't you?

I think it's kind of funny, Wii sells 37k during Mario week and that is rightfully considered weak and disappointing. PS3 sells 55k during the week which had the launch of a new SKU at a cheaper price, new colour and one of the biggest franchises in Japan and that's marvelous? *scratches head*

Of course you could argue that it's indeed marvelous for PS3 but by the time you compare it to the competition (360 is no competition) or make predictions about the oncoming take-over, well it's kind of ultra-optimistic to say the least.

It's a little freaky just how consistent sales are sometimes in Japan. The DS and PSP seem to keep posting the exact same numbers over and over.

Jokeropia

There are so many people jumping the gun here it's almost ridiculous. Is there something about Internet crowds that make people lose their capability for rational thinking?

Anyway for historical reference, Gamecube first outsold PS2 on it's launch week:

2001-09-10

PS2 45,651
GC 133,719

And then again on Smash Bros Melee release week:

2001-11-19

PS2 37,381
GC 129,377

Lobster

Banned
Jokeropia said:
There are so many people jumping the gun here it's almost ridiculous. Is there something about Internet crowds that make people lose their capability for rational thinking?

Anyway for historical reference, Gamecube first outsold PS2 on it's launch week:

2001-09-10

PS2 45,651
GC 133,719

And then again on Smash Bros Melee release week:

2001-11-19

PS2 37,381
GC 129,377

Its just fun to jump the gun. It creates conversation and a thread. When PSP outsold DS it was an amazing thread because everyone jumped the gun.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
One thing this past year has taught us?

This generation is UNPREDICTABLE.

Right now, everyone that is making future predictions is right. No matter how absurd. We've seen a lot weirder shit go down. :lol

Rolf NB

tahrikmili said:
360 sold more than the PS3? Whaaat?
The week prior, yes.
239 units, or 1.4% more. Those numbers are available in that little table in the OP.
This week not so much, of course.

Nolan.

reilo said:

Right now, everyone that is making future predictions is right. No matter how absurd. We've seen a lot weirder shit go down. :lol

Iv'e been saying from the start that it would be unpreditable. There's so many factors and inconsistencies this time round to easily compare it to last gen sometimes. Though I kind of like it that way.

Hammer24

Banned
reilo said:

What exactly do you think is unpredictable about this gen in Japan?
Right from the getgo it showed that:
- that american box gets rejected, no matter how hard MS tries
- the Wii sells like hotcakes and trends close to the PS2
- the PS3 gets lackluster sales save for those weeks, when the musou games come out

Nolan.

Hammer24 said:
What exactly do you think is unpredictable about this gen in Japan?
Right from the getgo it showed that:
- that american box gets rejected, no matter how hard MS tries
- the Wii sells like hotcakes and trends close to the PS2
- the PS3 gets lackluster sales save for those weeks, when the musou games come out

Though it's also shown that
*Nintendo being the leader hasn't quite freed them from the 3rd party curse yet.

*Brand name as strong as it may be won't always get you out of that sticky position.

* 360 software is actually charting more regularly than the xbox even with the small base

Also how is the wii trending close to the ps2 in Japan.?

Hammer24

Banned
Nolan. said:
Also how is the wii trending close to the ps2 in Japan.?

Quoting Joshua:

Wii comparisons: After week 50, Wii is where GCN was at 202.4 weeks (July 26, 2005), where GBA was at 39.2 weeks (December 17, 2001), where DS was at 52.0 weeks (November 27, 2005), where PS2 was at 59.5 weeks (April 18, 2001), and where PSP was at 86.6 weeks (August 3, 2006).

So it even trends better, right?

Hammer24 said:

Who the hell predicted this? Even at the price point, pretty much everyone expected the japanese to chew through the first 2 million with relative ease.

Acosta

I have little doubts PS3 will perform way better in 2008, the games are there and the prize is more reasonable. My guess is that many PS2 users will make the change for this year, with Gran Turismo 5 and FF XIII as main motives. How much? I don´t know.

But what it seems obvious is that Nintendo has a problem in sight with Wii. The software sales are not equivalent to the machine success for traditional games, which reinforces the idea Wii users are not core gamers, the main software consumers. Nintendo is trying to address this (they stated that with Monster Hunter), but it will interesting to check if they can attract that segment of market at this point.

Maybe PS3 won´t be PS2, but at this point there are reasonable doubts Wii can take that spot. Even if hardware sells better, it won´t mean anything if third parties offerings fall short on the system.

apujanata

Vinnk said:
They should go pretty quick. He is selling them for under 30,000yen and he bought them for almost nothing. He could lower them even more and still make a profit.

Wow, only 30K Yen ? And have backward compatibility to boot.

Vinnk, maybe you can get one for me since it is under 30K yen ? You can pm me the details if you are willing to help me.

Hammer24

Banned
The Innocent X said:
Who the hell predicted this? Even at the price point, pretty much everyone expected the japanese to chew through the first 2 million with relative ease.

Well, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Sony themselves seemed not to expect too much - they significantly lowered the price for the system in Japan compared to the other regions from the getgo. But that it would be that bad received, probably no one predicted.

First day sales are in

WII Biohazard Umbrella Chronicles - 70k (50k software only, 20k bundled)
NDS Game Center CX: Arino no Chousenjou - 35k (60% sell through, no new shipment until December)
NDS Famista DS - 20k
PS3 Heavenly Sword - 7k (30% sell through)
PS2 Votoms - 6k
PS2 Hayarigami 2 - 4-5k
PSP Dungeon Explorer - 4-5k
PSP Anata o Yurusanai - 4k (30% sell through)
NDS Dungeon Explorer - 2-2'5k
NDS Cooking Mama 2 - 2k (30k shipment)

Thanks Kurosaki Ichigo!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
titiklabingapat said:
First day sales are in

RE: UC 70k

DS CX arcade thing 35k(60% of shipment)

Awesome for RE:UC and this makes it VERY likely that it'll exceed Capcom's expectations in Japan (which are 200k going by 600k global, split evenly in all three territories... even though we're pretty confident that Japan is now the smallest territory)

Very awesome for Game Center CX, based on that shipment percentage. I can't imagine the game had a very high budget to make either.

Heavenly Sword 7k

Cooking Mama DS 2k

I'm not surprised for HS. In a sense, HS is an homage to God of War... I think that comes through in the ads in the US. But since God of War is released way later in Japan and not first party, it's not that big. Plus you take into account the usual "on the PS3" userbase penalty. No surprise.

Cooking Mama is not actually that bad. The first sold 62k in Japan and was considered a success (before being ported and selling 600k in the US!). But the important thing to note is that Cooking Mama had such a bad first week that we actually don't have first week numbers. It's pretty much the ULTIMATE casual title. There are only a few (probably 4 or 5) titles above Cooking Mama in lifetime sales that we don't have week one sales for.

titiklabingapt said:
First day sales are in

WII Biohazard Umbrella Chronicles - 70k (50k software only, 20k bundled)
NDS Game Center CX: Arino no Chousenjou - 35k (60% sell through, no new shipment until December)
NDS Famista DS - 20k
PS3 Heavenly Sword - 7k (30% sell through)
PS2 Votoms - 6k
PS2 Hayarigami 2 - 4-5k
PSP Dungeon Explorer - 4-5k
PSP Anata o Yurusanai - 4k (30% sell through)
NDS Dungeon Explorer - 2-2'5k
NDS Cooking Mama 2 - 2k (30k shipment)

Some help :p

Eeikod

Damn, you are just like football(soccer) fans, a fucking rollercoaster everyweek.
I dont see PS3 keeping this sales for much time, they'll probably end up in 20k~ a week in less than a month. Or MAYBE NOT, WHAT DO I KNOW, nothing that's what.

Top Bottom