• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/5 - 11/11 2007

Frillen

perfectchaos007 said:
Has anyone started to question Wii being a fad? I never thought I would say that, but looking at Japan, maybe Wii was a fad....in Japan.

Consider the Wii is selling on track with the PS2 in Japan, I would say no.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
perfectchaos007 said:
Okay that makes me feel better. Of course Sonys PR has been saying that all along about the PS3. It's "on track with PS2 sales"

Sony is lying.

As it relates to Japan... The PS3 is, in one year, where the PS2 was after about a month and a half.

Frillen

perfectchaos007 said:
Okay that makes me feel better. Of course Sonys PR has been saying that all along about the PS3. It's "on track with PS2 sales"

The Wii has sold nearly 4 Million in Japan in one year. How is that a fad? It's beating the crap out the PS3's LTD wise, and it's going to get a hefty boost this holiday season and when Wii-Fit comes out.

Frillen said:
The Wii has sold nearly 4 Million in Japan in one year. How is that a fad? It's beating the crap out the PS3's LTD wise, and it's going to get a hefty boost this holiday season and when Wii-Fit comes out.

Thats what I thought SMG would do but meh....I guess I'm starting to accept the fact that Japan lost the hardcore gamer and Wii Fit is exactly what the Japanese will eat up.

Frillen

perfectchaos007 said:
Thats what I thought SMG would do but meh....I guess I'm starting to accept the fact that Japan lost the hardcore gamer and Wii Fit is exactly what the Japanese will eat up.

Not that I'm a big fan of Wii-Fit, but I hope it can boost Wii sales to above 100k just to shut up a lot of people.

Dragon

Banned
Frillen said:

It's not a fad, it just bodes ill for gaming, IMO.

ccbfan

Frillen said:
Not that I'm a big fan of Wii-Fit, but I hope it can boost Wii sales to above 100k just to shut up a lot of people.

How the heck would that shut people up?

90 percent of the people here are predicting Wii Fit being the game that boost the Wii. Which is why we're upset because we want some core gamers on the system instead. Hopefully Brawl will shut us up by improving not only Wii hardware sales but also help core games sell better.

Busaiku

VultureDude said:
when does Trauma Center 2 come out in Japan and will it chart? or is it one of those strange Japanese games made specifically for the North American market? much Like Cooking Mama DS has turned into in the UK...
Comes out on the 17th of January.
Most likely, it won't do very well.

Neither TC on the Wii or DS have done well in JPN. The Wii one did have great success in the US though (I think it's one of [if not the] best sellers for AtlusUSA).

Using Japan-GameCharts, TC:UTK did 5,510 in its opening week, and the last Famitsu number of the LTD had it as 12,428 (that's probably not the actual LTD, just the latest number when Moor-Angol compiled the data). TC:SO started with 3,820, with last Famitsu LTD at 23,409 (same applies to this).

ksamedi

ccbfan said:

90 percent of the people here are predicting Wii Fit being the game that boost the Wii. Which is why we're upset because we want some core gamers on the system instead. Hopefully Brawl will shut us up by improving not only Wii hardware sales but also help core games sell better.

Brain Training was the game that triggered the astronomical numbers for the DS, which lead to a lot of third party upport and turned it into a pretty hardcore machine. WiiFit has the same function as Brain Training.

interesting for PS3. with WE11 and GT5, they can't get bellow 40k for the following weeks. (those two games + holiday boost) and i'm very curious about wii fit.

media create threads are fun once again, at least there's something to talk about and major meltdowns each page.

about GT5, i wonder if we will get numbers from the downloads... because it might be a game that will sell better through PSN... who knows... it will get a lot of sales from crazy GT fans outside of japan like myself, that don't want to wait or anything. i just hope we get some kind of data from sony regarding this.

Tiktaalik

Frillen said:

It's a fad if Wii Fit sales are ho hum. The LTD is great on the Wii, but recent software sales have been pretty weak given the large user base.

After watching these last few weeks, I am wondering if some people have gotten bored of the Wii, and while I expect Wii Fit to sell well, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not the epic, massive blockbuster some are expecting.

Neomoto said:
Funny how things can change in just 3 weeks.

Galaxy didn't put Wii way up high again.
Galaxy didn't push as much software as we thought at least for now
Xbox360 outsold PS3 (for a week)
PS3 outsold Wii twice in a row

Oh well, in 2 weeks Wii Fit and 1 week later (?) GT5P so it should be interesting

All indications seems to say that Wii Fit is gong to be huge and in any case bigger then Mario Galaxy. The interesting thing is that, if Wii Fit move hardware units, it could move even Super Galaxy somehow. And it would not be so weird after all.
Frillen said:

Only a fool can say that Wii is a fad, because it almost already reached Gamecube's LTD in just one year.
You can say that it is not sure at all that Wii already won. This makes sense.

Shiggy

ksamedi said:
Brain Training was the game that triggered the astronomical numbers for the DS, which lead to a lot of third party upport and turned it into a pretty hardcore machine. WiiFit has the same function as Brain Training.

You have to keep in mind that Wii Fit is much more expensive than a normal game.

Kyoufu

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
All indications seems to say that Wii Fit is gong to be huge and in any case bigger then Mario Galaxy. The interesting thing is that, if Wii Fit move hardware units, it could move even Super Galaxy somehow. And it would not be so weird after all.

Only a fool can say that Wii is a fad, because it almost already reached Gamecube's LTD in just one year.
You can say that it is not sure at all that Wii already won. This makes sense.

Explain how Wii Fit would move Galaxy sales, I'm interested in your form of logic(?).

Rody

Stumpokapow said:
Are you thinking Mina no Golf 5 (Hot Shots Golf 5) is Shin Sangoku Musou 5 (Dynasty Warriors 6)?

Not really. It's just that it's been in the TOP list for a while, hasn't it?

Tiktaalik

Kyoufu said:
Explain how Wii Fit would move Galaxy sales, I'm interested in your form of logic(?).

People go in the store to buy Wii Fit and are bombarded by Mario ads and they go "oh what I didn't know there was a new Mario! I used to love Mario!" and then they buy it. Same thing happened with NSMB.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Rody said:
Not really. It's just that it's been in the TOP list for a while, hasn't it?

It's not uncommon for games to sit in the 30th-50th range for a year or so. HSG5 admittedly has the longest legs of any PS3 game for sure.

Busaiku

Tiktaalik said:
It's a fad if Wii Fit sales are ho hum. The LTD is great on the Wii, but recent software sales have been pretty weak given the large user base.

After watching these last few weeks, I am wondering if some people have gotten bored of the Wii, and while I expect Wii Fit to sell well, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not the epic, massive blockbuster some are expecting.
I don't think Wii Fit sales will really indicate much. If all software picks up with Wii Fit, then yeah, but if it's just Wii Fit, I don't think so.
Wii Sports and Wii Play, among other games like Mario Party 8, have been selling very well. But outside of those games, it seems that outside of that demographic, most games haven't sold very well. Wii Fit is also targeting that demographic, so unless it can be like Nintendogs, Big Brain Academy, and Brain Training (which boosted not only non-gamer, but in the long run, more hardcore game sales), then the situation isn't really gonna change.

Polari

I think people are putting too much stock in Wii Fit. It will do well, but not Brain Age well. It's much more expensive than Brain Age was and is on a console rather than a portable.

Kyoufu

Tiktaalik said:
People go in the store to buy Wii Fit and are bombarded by Mario ads and they go "oh what I didn't know there was a new Mario! I used to love Mario!" and then they buy it. Same thing happened with NSMB.

Thats some wishful thinking there, actually more like delusional dreaming, but hey whatever helps Nintendo fans sleep at night with the Japanese Galaxy sales.

Frillen

ccbfan said:

Shut up the "the tide is turning" people.

Polari

Tiktaalik said:

lol. It must be nice living in fantasy.

farnham

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Thats some wishful thinking there, actually more like delusional dreaming, but hey whatever helps Nintendo fans sleep at night with the Japanese Galaxy sales.
well i think watching at DW 6, MinGol5 or Gundam Musou sales or PS3 hardware sales for the recent year is pleasing enough for the Nintendo fans

test_account

XP-39C²
Frillen said:

Altho i agree that there is a big chance that hardware sales will boost due to Wii Fit, its not a 100% sure thing that it will boost it that much. You said earlier that SMG would boost the hw sales to heaven, but that didnt happend. Fair enough, did say SMG + SSBB and WiiFit, but still ;)

Frillen said:
Galaxy, SSBB and Wii-Fit will not only make up for the somewhat "bad" Wii sales lately, they will boost the console's sales to heaven and even further. The only thing that will stop it from reaching unimaginable numbers is that it's going to be hugely supply constrained. It will be impossbile to find a Wii by the end of December/beginning of Januar.

You're only going to own yourself hardcore by underestimating the power force which is Galaxy + SSBB + Wii-Fit. They're not only going to drive Wii sales in 07, but most likely for the first half of 08 and possibly for the whole year.

Kyoufu said:

Only a comparison. Brain Training 2 increased Brain Training 1's sales as well as Animal Crossing and Mario Kart DS sales.

Monster Hunter 2 increased Monster Hunter Portable's sales. Common types of games can increase their similars (most) and not (less).
It is not a very common thing, but it happened in the past.
If Wii Fit manages to increase Wii's sales significantly (let say....80k-100k, for an absurde example) then probably Wii games that came out recently will be up as well.

I know it is not very likely, but not impossible at all.

Polari said:
lol. It must be nice living in fantasy.

Fantasy ? There are games that help each other to sell. Most of all if they came out very close to one another.
In reality, it is the bump in hardware that has an indirect effect on other software. But games like Brain Training proved that they can sustain their predecessor directly, instead to slow it down as it usually happens.

Polari said:
I think people are putting too much stock in Wii Fit. It will do well, but not Brain Age well. It's much more expensive than Brain Age was and is on a console rather than a portable.

True. But I expect it to be at least bigger then Galaxy. I will disappointed if it wil sell less then one million, but who knows ?

Lightning

Banned
Frillen said:
Shut up the "the tide is turning" people.
What is the use of WiiFit moving 100k even 200k hardware if games like Galaxy bomb? If the only games that sell on the system will be Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Wii Play etc... they may be your types of games but don't be surprised when that is all you see from 3rd parties as well.

Core games need to sell not this casual shit that Nintendo are moving into.

And the only tide that's turning is Japan's transformation into only really caring about handhelds.

Grecco

Lightning said:
What is the use of WiiFit moving 100k even 200k hardware if games like Galaxy bomb? If the only games that sell on the system will be Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Wii Play etc... they may be your types of games but don't be surprised when that is all you see from 3rd parties as well. .

Monster Hunter Training confirmed.

DKJB79

Lightning said:
What is the use of WiiFit moving 100k even 200k hardware if games like Galaxy bomb? If the only games that sell on the system will be Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Wii Play etc... they may be your types of games but don't be surprised when that is all you see from 3rd parties as well.

Core games need to sell not this casual shit that Nintendo are moving into.

And the only tide that's turning is Japan's transformation into only really caring about handhelds.

people like u said the same thing about the DS...and see the softwares on DS now...everybody is happy, with games for everybody and nice sales for 3rd parties...

NSMB had nice legs, surprising a lot of people here on GAF.

just wait.

Nintendo's strategy is the same on WII as on DS, and it may take the same way.

i don't mind consoles wars, i want a PS3 and i'm happy it sells well, so 3rd parties will boost their support on this system, but the Wii's boost will start soon.

This was during a time of hardware shortage, but here are weekly PS2 software numbers for its first November (8 months from launch):
Week of 2000-10-30
Week of 2000-11-06
Week of 2000-11-13
Week of 2000-11-20
Week of 2000-11-27
Of course that doesn't contain anything that didn't rank at least 30th, but the sum of those weekly numbers only beats out SMG's first week by 10K.

And its second, which was much better. 20 months from launch, ~5.5 million userbase depending on the week, and more big name games. Only one PS2 game passes 100K in a single week, but it does so by a pretty large margin: MGS2's 457K.
Week of 2001-10-29
Week of 2001-11-05
Week of 2001-11-12
Week of 2001-11-19
Week of 2001-11-26

Actually, these are total software listings, so the 2001 ones also have GCN and GBA numbers mixed in.

Tiktaalik

Kyoufu said:

Oh don't get me wrong, I personally don't think this will happen as much as people hope. I'm just stating what the common theory is on this. If you look at last week's doom n' gloom SMG thread you'll see that I'm pretty skeptical of whether this will take place.

Rody

Stumpokapow said:
It's not uncommon for games to sit in the 30th-50th range for a year or so. HSG5 admittedly has the longest legs of any PS3 game for sure.

Oh, didn't know that. Good for Sony, then.

Lightning

Banned
DKJB79 said:
people like u said the same thing about the DS...and see the softwares on DS now...everybody is happy, with games for everybody and nice sales for 3rd parties...

NSMB had nice legs, surprising a lot of people here on GAF.

just wait.

Nintendo's strategy is the same on WII as on DS, and it may take the same way.

i don't mind consoles wars, i want a PS3 and i'm happy it sells well, so 3rd parties will boost their support on this system, but the Wii's boost will start soon.
Quite the contrary I am quite the supporter of the DS when it releases games I want to play.

I like the Wii, Mario Galaxy is providing me with my best gaming experience this year with the exception that I like Twilight Princess more. TP and Mario Galaxy though are the best games that I have played this year and they are Wii games but Japan didn't take to TP and they are not taking to Galaxy.

I see no reason to think that Galaxy is going to have the super legs that NSMB had. What I see is Japan moving away from console gaming gradually.

Innotech

Banned
Do people not also consider that what is popular in one country might not appeal to other regions?
MArio Galaxy in the US might move almost a million units in November. a far cry from the 300k or so in Japan, but Japan is more into RPGs and RE. If Wii gets more RPGs like Fragile, it will appeal more to the hardcore demographic of Japan. But overall, the Wii appeals to a far wider base of people and will continue to outsell everything worldwide. It will be outsold on a weekly basis now and then as other systems get hardware/software bumps, but I think the overall trend is the Wii continuing to have the overall lead. Im a bit disappointed too that Mario hasnt sold 500k in the couple weeks its been out in Japan, but other regions will make up for it. Games like MH3 and King story and FFCC2 will probably do much better for the Wii in Japan. a simplistic spinoff of DQ sold 500k there afterall. Its hard to say what Japanese casual players will latch onto.

Rolf NB

So while we're on the subject of pulling general trends about certain types of games on certain platforms out of our ass, there's one question that I'm kinda curious about right now for perspective:
How did the DS version of Mario 64 sell in Japan?

cvxfreak

bcn-ron said:
So while we're on the subject of pulling general trends about certain types of games on certain platforms out of our ass, there's one question that I'm kinda curious about right now for perspective:

A little over 1 Million.

bcn-ron said:
Well, over a protracted period. #1 DS launch game with a 120K opening week. 470K by the end of the year. 719K by the middle of 2005. 814K by the end of 2005. 924K by the middle of 2006. 990K by the end of 2006. 1.04 million by the middle of 2007.

Innotech

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Well, over a protracted period. #1 DS launch game with a 120K opening week. 470K by the end of the year. 719K by the middle of 2005. 814K by the end of 2005. 924K by the middle of 2006. 990K by the end of 2006. 1.04 million by the middle of 2007.
I think Mario Galaxy will continue to sell by word of mouth and positive press. Do you think it will be a slow burner?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Innotech said:
Do people not also consider that what is popular in one country might not appeal to other regions?
MArio Galaxy in the US might move almost a million units in November. a far cry from the 300k or so in Japan, but Japan is more into RPGs and RE.
Did you forgot that NSMB sold +5millions?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Lightning said:
What dictates a bomb? i don't think anyone, even Sony, expected HS to do anything and that was why Japan waited months after US/EU got the game.
Well, it got outsold by Lair (admitedly I expected that - but that was before Lair turned out to be a shitty game).

Ratchet actually seems kinda on level with the other releases in series (relative to userbase) - but yea we all wished it better.

Decent 2nd week for DW6. Nearly half of its 1st week. Still only a quarter mil though.

I checked a few of the other big games of the last month and they fell off a chunk more in their 2nd weeks.

KyanMehwulfe said:
Decent 2nd week for DW6. Nearly half of its 1st week. Still only a quarter mil though.

I checked a few of the other big games of the last month and they fell off a chunk more in their 2nd weeks.
This week's thread is up already. Wakey wakey eggs and bakey slowpokes.

Top Bottom