• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/5 - 11/11 2007

plagiarize said:
well, what did RE4 do on it's first week on the Wii? i can't remember, but i think you could argue that the Resident Evil fanbase already bought their Wii's for RE4.

Yeah, but RE4 was a remake. This is new and it comes alongside a bundle with Wii Zapper. I expected that "new" people bought it with a Wii.

Definitely Wii's audience is something out of normal conditions, because it selectivity buy hardcore games (UC, RE4 and DQ yes. Mario Galaxy: not really), but only with Dragon Quest Swords hardware's sales were up (more then 100k). Ok, you can argue that Wii's shipment was up at the same time with DQ, but this "flat" situation of the Wii is really strange, because, like with PS3, every game that sell well should move at least some additional units (we saw this with PS2 for 7 years). This is not the case with Wii. its sales were too high without games and now that games are coming out, they're not enough high and there aren't regular bumps in hardware. In other words, the correlation between hardware and software is definitely "broken".

Then, PSP is a mistery. A very unusual situation, because hardware's sales are very good and close to the DS, but there isn't a single game in the top 10 and maybe only 2-3 in the entire top 30.

Re-buyers is an explication. Piratage another one. But I'm still not convinced...... And this because sales are still too high and even old smashing hits like Monster Hunter 2 are not selling enough to justify them..... I mean: maybe PSP hasn't games in the top 10, but if you sum all games in the top 50, you can somehow explain the hardware's numbers, right ? But no, it is not the case. (and it is with DS, in contrast).

PS3 sales are simply explainable with software's numbers of Musou and the new 40 GB pack. A little weird that it sold pratically like last week, but anyway, it is justifiable. If next week software will down again and hardware will be exactly the same, I'll start ask myself why. But, we'll see next week.

All began with the drop of Wii and DS. I KNOW I'm annoying. But I read every week the Media Create thread and I'm still not convinced at all. Nobody has found a convincing explication for that. So, I'm still waiting.

DS is more explainable, because you can argue it reached the saturation point. But every console that reached this status, has slowed down its sales slowly. DS hasn't. Why ?
And again, this question is still unanswered either...

But remember: I said it least week that maybe there is a new trend. And that maybe the market is changing once again.

Busaiku

Tiktaalik said:
Remember when there was that interview with that Japanese developer and he said no one played with their Nintendo Wiis and they just sat in closets and we laughed at him and thought he was stupid?

:\
But Wii games are selling, moreso than other systems.

plagiarize said:
well, what did RE4 do on it's first week on the Wii? i can't remember, but i think you could argue that the Resident Evil fanbase already bought their Wii's for RE4.
Going by Japan-Gamecharts, Famitsu has its 1st week at 46,813. When it was last in the Famitsu top 30, its LTD was 105,441.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ziran said:
Nice sales for REUC and over 50K for PS3 is good. PSP sales are very impressive.

If I'm reading the blog correctly (babelfish), at this retailer, Wii Fit pre-orders have doubled SSBB! Great news if true. SSBB looks amazing and is set to be one of this generation's biggest selling games in Japan and for Wii Fit to already have such interest bodes well for its sales.

Can someone confirm what it says?:
http://sinobi.ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10056547557.html
年末が押し迫りゲーム関連が活況。
トップは「スマブラ」「Wiiフィット」のWiiタイトル2強。
先月までの集計分を入れた総数では、「Wiiフィット」は
「スマブラ」のさらに倍以上の予約数となっており、
店頭での予約状況とはかなり温度差がある模様。
ネット販売中心のタイトルとなりそうだ。
単独での紹介記事はまだ書いていないのだが
Wiiでの発売が決まった「風来のシレン3」が猛追中。

Can anyone confirm this?

I wonder if some people are waiting until Dec. 1st to buy the hardware...should be interesting.

spwolf

Innotech said:
I think some people are really grasping to proclaim Ps3 the new leader when its still down by over 2 million units.

new leader of what? Is there only 2 million between PS2 and PS3? I thought it was quite a bit more?

Grecco

squatingyeti said:
Now, I'm not in the party that just knows the PS3 is going to turn it around and start selling good every week. However, does anyone else get the feeling Nintendo should have put them away with a small price drop in Japan and MS should have done the same in Europe/NA with another price drop? I wrestled in high school and college, and was taught when I smell blood, to go for the kill.

I've seen too many times in my life where someone just doesn't have the instinct and it changes things. Not so much that the other person comes back and wins Rocky style, but they make it a hell of a lot harder on the one that was winning than it needed to be. I just get that awkward feeling, could be the stomach flu still.

They wont need a price drop when Wii Fit will do the same thing

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Yeah, but RE4 was a remake. This is new and it comes alongside a bundle with Wii Zapper. I expected that "new" people bought it with a Wii.
but they didn't... yet it still had good first week sales.

RE4 was a port, but a port of one of the best games ever. Resident Evil UC isn't entirely new. there's a lot of re-used assets... few new scenarios and it's not as good a game as RE4.

i'm just coming up with a hypothesis as to why UC can have solid sales and not raise the sales of the system. already a game in the franchise on the system... so since hardware sales didn't move, well gee i guess that that's why.

i've no idea if i'm right or wrong... just suggesting why it might happen.

if someone with the first week numbers of RE4:Wii shares them, i'll find out if my hypothesis is right or wrong.

Busaiku said:
But Wii games are selling, moreso than other systems.

Going by Japan-Gamecharts, Famitsu has its 1st week at 46,813. When it was last in the Famitsu top 30, its LTD was 105,441.

edit: guess i was wrong... unless everyone that bought RE4 went out and grabbed UC first week.

schuelma

spwolf said:
new leader of what? Is there only 2 million between PS2 and PS3? I thought it was quite a bit more?

I'm dead serious- your posts are going to make me end my life.

Please please stop- I have a full life to lead.

spwolf said:

This argument is pretty shitty even for you.

gconsole said:
Even with the declining in popularity of biohazard in japan ,400,000+ is a guarantee for biohazard main game sales. If the RE fanbase really bought Wii for UC, I would expect at least 200,000 in its first week.

If the current expectations for a new main-series entry are about 400k, a 100k opening week of a spinoff is just about right. 200k first-week would have been a hyuuuge success for RE:UC, not an expected one.

JoshuaJSlone said:
There's also that the 20-30x is overblown. PS2 certainly wasn't at 26-39 million when any R&C games came out.

That too!

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I have the impression that something is changing again in Japan. And no, I'm not joking.

Wii sales are down and it seems that even a game like Mario Galaxy cannot boost them.
Mario Galaxy's sales are bad and worse then Super Mario Sunshine: this is a sign that something is wrong with Wii's audience.
PS3 sales skyrocked thanks to Musou and PSP sales are really good.
In addition, DS sales are not that high anymore and even games like FFTA2 isn't selling very well and I have the impression that games like Dragon Quests Remakes will sell well, but not as well as FFIII did. In another words: even DS and DS software isn't selling that great anymore..

So, my impression is that Nintendo's dominance is starting to decline. I don't mean that Nintendo is ***ed of something similar, but the NES-level of dominance is not here anymore and Sony is growing up slowly. First, PSP and now PS3. And I have the big impression that PS3's hardware sales will not go down very fast, exactly as PSP did. And if it can stay up until Final Fantasy and MGS4, the thing could become big...

With the DS, the market changed very fast and now I have the same impression I had in 2005: the direction of the wind is somehow turning again and maybe who said that Wii won and PS3 is a failure, was not so right after all.

But I could be wrong: after all Wii Fit could change everything once again. But I repeat: since 2 months, I see a new trend.

That's what I said last week. And I more and more convinced that I was right.

mabuza said:
its funny watching the nintendo fanboys do the whole 'wait for game x' times sure have changed

I think usually that quote implies a wait that is a little bit over 1 week. :)

I've seen some people say "Wait for FF XIII"... WTF? That's over a year away, at least.

pswii60

Holy shit @ PS3 - I was expecting more like 19k! How foolish of me.

Sony's back, bitches
until Wii Fit, anyway...

spwolf said:

For once, you make a great point. Current success and console validity is often about momentum rather than existing userbase. Otherwise SNES would still be a valid console platform.

ksamedi

plagiarize said:
so you don't know what the first week of Resident Evil 4 on the Wii was either then. so no need for snarky remarks.

I think it sold 100k total. Or a little more, I don't know the exact number, but its not that huge.

pswii60

bcn-ron said:
What an unusual thing to say.

I think he meant... impressive for Microsoft. Xbox 1 was generally between 673 and 984 per week, later moving down to 68, 34 and then 0, 0, 0, 0, 0...

schuelma

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
That's what I said last week. And I more and more convinced that I was right.

I'll say the same thing I said last week- let's wait until the holiday season is over before making any bold pronouncements.

Wii still has two silver bullets lined up in Brawl and Wii Fit. Wii also has some solid hardcore games that should lead to more hardcore owners buying the system.

Hero

So the PS3 outsells the Wii for two weeks only by 20K and somehow the other 50 weeks of dominance is now irrelevant? Only on GAF.

Flakster99

The obsessive behavior in these week by week threads are... interesting.

I think it's fucking great that the PS3 sales are improving steadily. Though I'm spending most of my gaming time on the Wii, the PS3 is proving itself to be a great secondary system. In the future I see both systems getting equal love from me and my gaming pose.

Rolf NB

pswii60 said:
I think he meant... impressive for Microsoft. Xbox 1 was generally between 673 and 984 per week, later moving down to 68, 34 and then 0, 0, 0, 0, 0...
Yeah I can make stuff sound more significant than it really is by claiming that it somehow wildly mismatches by expectations, too. That's not a novel concept to me.
It's an odd thing at an odd time to focus on. The XBox 360 is being outsold nearly 10:1 by its big bad Sony competitor. I'm pretty sure the ratio has not once been this high for the entire year. At the same time, the Wii sales, say what you will, also keep making the XBox 360 sales look shameful. And then there's the PS2.

It's not as if it wasn't a trend already, but this week is just about the worst showing for the XBox 360 this entire year. That of all available data-points this one in particular is supposed to be impressive, is a pretty impressive misuse of the word "impressive".

Besides, "holding steady" is up for grabs. It's coming off the Ace Combat 6 spike, and might still sink a tad below 5k. And even if it does hold steady, that's not what you do in the festive season. You go up. If you don't, no matter what you do, "impressive" is not the correct word to describe it.

AdmiralViscen said:
If I'm counting properly, PS2 didn't break 40k in its second November. Or, only in the last week of November.
A few things.

1) That's actually PS2's third November in that graph, having launched March 2000.
2) I notice the year is starting the week of January 7. Probably you put in January 1 and it picked the week that started the first date after that. Starting on the preceding December 31 would give a slightly better picture of the year.
3) In PS2's second November (2001) it jumped to 108K in the last week, up from 37K the week before. In the third November you have pictured (2002) it jumped to 56K in the last week, up from 35K the week before.

2003 and 2004 were much bigger Novembers for PS2, though. 2004 I'd credit to PS2 Slim and Dragon Quest VIII, but I'm not sure about 2003 immediately.

Due to the way weekly splits work, the first couple December days with Wii Fit will be in this year's last week of November.
Mithos Yggdrasil said:
Definitely Wii's audience is something out of normal conditions, because it selectivity buy hardcore games (UC, RE4 and DQ yes. Mario Galaxy: not really)
SMG is selling better than RE4 and REUC combined. SMG is gaining on DQ Swords, with weeks 2 and 3 being greater.
Mithos Yggdrasil said:
with PS3, every game that sell well sould move at least some additional units
It's easier to notice a bump of size X when regular hardware sales are lower, because it appears as a larger percent change. Over the lifetime of a (successful) system, many many games will sell 100K in a week. Spread out throughout its life, DS could have it happening every other week. They're not all accompanied by a big bump in hardware.

spwolf said:
so PS3 had 53k in week 2, Wii 35k
DW 250k in 8 days.

:lol

next up - Winning 11.

Seems like start of an trend in Japan.

So, 1 year a trend does not make (I still see people say that the PS3 will still win in the end, worldwide).

But 8 days, that's the start of something. :)

ziran said:
Can someone confirm what it says?:
http://sinobi.ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10056547557.html
年末が押し迫りゲーム関連が活況。
トップは「スマブラ」「Wiiフィット」のWiiタイトル2強。
先月までの集計分を入れた総数では、「Wiiフィット」は
「スマブラ」のさらに倍以上の予約数となっており、
店頭での予約状況とはかなり温度差がある模様。
ネット販売中心のタイトルとなりそうだ。
単独での紹介記事はまだ書いていないのだが
Wiiでの発売が決まった「風来のシレン3」が猛追中。

I think he was talking about his own Amazon referral tracking. He said the total preorders of WiiFit so far was 2 times more than that of SSMB, but the preorders of WiiFit from real shops didn't seem to be as hot as the online (Amazon) case, so sales-wise, it may be an online-centric title.

PS: I may be wrong on these translations.

ksamedi said:
There is nothing wrong with that.

I know.

But there is something wrong with me starting to think...just a little bit...that the Wii IS ruining gaming to some degree. At least for this generation. At least for the types of games I want to play. My worries are being compounded by the incompetence of Sony so far and Microsoft's inability to penetrate foreign markets.

Competition is great and all, but I liked having a primary console (whatever brand it may be) since it meant lots of great exclusives that could cater to anyone. But when the dominant system seems to have great difficulty in selling core software, I get kind of worried.

Now some argue the Wii actually is saving gaming and they'll point to all of the sales of the WiiFit/Sports games and the consoles pushed through the market. That's fine, that's great, that's wonderful for Nintendo's bottom line and for those who enjoy the experience. I can only speak for myself in my disappointment that there's no chance for a "Playstation" or "playstation 2" or even "DS" type console this generation.

I've always rooted for Nintendo even though I've owned every system besides a Saturn and TG-16 since the 8 bit era. But now, for the first time....I almost feel like I'm rooting against them - well, against the Wii. Thankfully the system is offering me something now, but I still have a bad feeling about what lies in its future. Hopefully some good, meaty RPGs can sway my disdain for the little thing.

donny2112

cvxfreak said:
Gun Survivor 2's LTD is at 120K, Gun Survivor 3 at 70K and Gun Survivor 4 at 50K.

Interesting. The last time those showed up in the charts that I've seen were

Code:
20011209 PS2 Gun Survivor 2: Resident Evil - Code Veronica      70,719
20020714 PS2 Gun Survivor 3: Dino Crisis (w/ GunCon2)           52,622
20030223 PS2 Gun Survivor 4: Resident Evil - Heroes Never Die   27,910

Nice stealth increases for all three. :)

spwolf said:
I mean, first week of RE, 3rd week of SMG just managed to keep Wii at 35k in mid November. Thats just bad.

Will you say the same when PS3 is at 35K or below next week in the 3rd week of the price drop, 3rd week of Musou 5 and late-November? My point being that if Wii is "just bad," right now, then every other console's sales must be pure crap in your opinion.

Arde5643

So is the recent Wii in JP doing something akin to 360 in anywhere besides JP before Halo 3/GH3?

Selling a good amount of software but only decent hardware?

ksamedi

Forgotten Ancient said:
I know.

But there is something wrong with me starting to think...just a little bit...that the Wii IS ruining gaming to some degree. At least for this generation. At least for the types of games I want to play. My worries are being compounded by the incompetence of Sony so far and Microsoft's inability to penetrate foreign markets.

Competition is great and all, but I liked having a primary console (whatever brand it may be) since it meant lots of great exclusives that could cater to anyone. But when the dominant system seems to have great difficulty in selling core software, I get kind of worried.

Now some argue the Wii actually is saving gaming and they'll point to all of the sales of the WiiFit/Sports games and the consoles pushed through the market. That's fine, that's great, that's wonderful for Nintendo's bottom line and for those who enjoy the experience. I can only speak for myself in my disappointment that there's no chance for a "Playstation" or "playstation 2" or even "DS" type console this generation.

I've always rooted for Nintendo even though I've owned every system besides a Saturn and TG-16 since the 8 bit era. But now, for the first time....I almost feel like I'm rooting against them - well, against the Wii. Thankfully the system is offering me something now, but I still have a bad feeling about what lies in its future. Hopefully some good, meaty RPGs can sway my disdain for the little thing.

Yep, there is something wrong with your thought, you are being on the pessimistic side of things. Core games do fine on the Wii. Even if you are not convinced by sales trends, I think your picture of the market is a little bit clouded due to the myth of Wii only selling to non-gamers or non game buying casuals that everybody here seams to believe.

Steroyd

The wii's sales have slowed down and PS3 sales have picked up, PS3 having a pricecut is understandable, but I would have bet SMG taking Wii sales to the stratasphere.

Not enough Wii party games I reckon, can't have too many of those.

Steroyd said:
The wii's sales have slowed down and PS3 sales have picked up, PS3 having a pricecut is understandable, but I would have bet SMG taking Wii sales to the stratasphere.

Not enough Wii party games I reckon, can't have too many of those.

No, the real problem is that Console gaming in Japan has died, much like the American Arcade industry.

Better pay respects to the new portable overlords.

Firewire

Banned
Question for our Japanese friends, why do you think SMG is doing poorly in Japan?

I really don't understand how its doing poorly in Japan and selling 500,000 in N.A.

Culex

Banned
I don't see the worry here. What Nintendo really needs is to release a black Wii, since new colors + Nintendo hardware = mass sales.

Evlar

Banned
Firewire said:
Question for our Japanese friends, why do you think SMG is doing poorly in Japan?

I really don't understand how its doing poorly in Japan and selling 500,000 in N.A.
I'm not in Japan but I would guess motion sickness has a bit to do with it.

sprocket

Banned
Firewire said:

People buy Wiis for Wisports only. /runs

ksamedi

Firewire said:

I think Japanese people don't like Mario as much in 3D. Its still a popular game but its much more playeble in 2D. Galaxy is almost like 4D by the way, people like the looks but are afraid to play it. Its intimidating.

Top Bottom