• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/5 - 11/11 2007

The Sphinx said:
I'm not in Japan but I would guess motion sickness has a bit to do with it.

A mate of mine who gets motion sickness from EVERY 3D game can play Galaxy just fine. Apparently the programmers ensured it wouldn't cause nausea.

Frillen

PS3forums said:
sony overall is now winning the japaneeeeeeese market when all of its consoles are added toghether.if this trend holds for another week i belive the ps3 will stay above the wii for this generation.

:lol

Evlar

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
A mate of mine who gets motion sickness from EVERY 3D game can play Galaxy just fine. Apparently the programmers ensured it wouldn't cause nausea.
People who are conditioned to avoid 3D games like this won't know they can play it until they actually try. I think it's a barrier, but I may be mistaken.

sprocket said:
Question for our Japanese friends, why do you think SMG is doing poorly in Japan?

I really don't understand how its doing poorly in Japan and selling 500,000 in N.A.
Based on hardware bases at time of release (estimating for the extra weeks in the US), the Japanese SMG attach rate after 4 days was 6.9%, and after 11 days was 8.9%. The US SMG attach rate after 7 days was ~9.3%. US is ahead, but not by a mile.

EDIT: Fixed Japanese day count.

Lobster

Banned
Made this thingy of what I think Ghost Squad will sell. You guys can tell me if its a way off prediction or pretty fair prediction.

38000+7000
45000+6000
51000+6000
57000+5000
62000+5000
67000+4000
71000+4000
75000+3000
78000+3000
81000+2000
83000+2000
85000+1000
86000+1000
87000+1000
88000+1000
89000+1000

LTD 90000

This is what I hope it sells but im not considering any sort oh Holiday bump.

Im also prediction Umbrella Chronicles to surpass 250k and make its way to 300k.

Culex

Banned
Aeris130 said:
Didn't we all agree that Japan-land, including its sales and developers, were insignificant this gen?

Depends what side you're rooting for. If you were a Sony or MS fan last gen, Japan was irrellevant. Up until two weeks ago, the same could still be held true. Today, for a Sony fan, Japan is more important than getting laid with your hot new swedish nanny.

sprocket

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Based on hardware bases at time of release (estimating for the extra weeks in the US), the Japanese SMG attach rate after 3 days was 6.9%, and after 10 days was 8.9%. The US SMG attach rate after 7 days was ~9.3%. US is ahead, but not by a mile.

I didn't say that! lol

Firewire

Banned
ksamedi said:
I think Japanese people don't like Mario as much in 3D. Its still a popular game but its much more playeble in 2D. Galaxy is almost like 4D by the way, people like the looks but are afraid to play it. Its intimidating.

I admit I don't know much about the Japanese gamer, but other 3D games have sold well there haven't they? Or is it just gamers over there prefer Mario in 2D only?

Vieo

Is this where that "Your the best around" song from the Karate Kid starts playing and we see a montage of PS3 beating up Wii, 360, and various portables?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Aeris130 said:
Didn't we all agree that Japan-land, including its sales and developers, were insignificant this gen?

Who said this and when?

The one thing that can be agreed upon when it comes to Japan is that every console that has lead worldwide in hardware sold has also lead in Japan.

Wow, that was poorly worded. Someone rephrase that for me.

ksamedi

Firewire said:
I admit I don't know much about the Japanese gamer, but other 3D games have sold well there haven't they? Or is it just gamers over there prefer Mario in 2D only?

Well the 2D Mario games have sold much much better than any 3D Mario.

tanod

when is my burrito
squatingyeti said:
Now, I'm not in the party that just knows the PS3 is going to turn it around and start selling good every week. However, does anyone else get the feeling Nintendo should have put them away with a small price drop in Japan and MS should have done the same in Europe/NA with another price drop? I wrestled in high school and college, and was taught when I smell blood, to go for the kill.

No. Dropping the price wouldn't give them any real advantage at their current price point. They're already much cheaper. The Wii just needs more games.

Thraktor

Dragona Akehi said:

Yeah, I remember an interview (I'll try to track it down) where one member of the team explained that he got terrible motion sickness from a lot of games, and whenever they tweaked the camera or anything like that, they'd bring him in and sit him in front of it for five minutes. If he started feeling sick, they left it as it was before, and if he felt fine, they'd continue with the changes.

Elios83

This is really a funny and unpredictable generation :lol It will be interesting to see sales during the upcoming weeks. Wii will have Wiifit, PS3 has Winning Eleven this week and GT5 Prologue in the second week of December.
If I'm not mistaking the japanese Xstmas season tipically starts the second week of December and ends in the second week of January, doesn't it? In that case we'll see sales going up for every platform soon.
IMO all the platforms expect 360 will do well this year in Japan.
Next year will be more interesting, PS3 has DMC4, Disgae3 and what else in January? Wii?

Firewire

Banned
ksamedi said:
Well the 2D Mario games have sold much much better than any 3D Mario.

So then I guess Nintendo sort of expected this result (so far) in Japan. I guess its safe to say SMG was made more for other territories rather than Japan.

Evlar

Banned
Elios83 said:
This is really a funny and unpredictable generation :lol It will be interesting to see sales during the upcoming weeks. Wii will have Wiifit, PS3 has Winning Eleven this week and GT5 Prologue in the second week of December.
If I'm not mistaking the japanese Xstmas season tipically starts the second week of December and ends in the second week of January, doesn't it? In that case we'll see sales going up for every platform soon.
IMO all the platforms expect 360 will do well this year in Japan.
Next year will be more interesting, PS3 has DMC4, Disgae3 and what else in January? Wii?
Brawl.

Aeris130

reilo said:
Who said this and when?

The one thing that can be agreed upon when it comes to Japan is that every console that has lead worldwide in hardware sold has also lead in Japan.

Wow, that was poorly worded. Someone rephrase that for me.

I was being sarcastic, but it's been brought up once in a while this past year. At least in MC-threads, post PS3-launch.

* Japanese devs can't compete with western devs in the graphix-department (xept when it comes to p@rty-games hurr hurr)
* Not a big market (|B<| <-- (Darth Vader says no.)
* R3al gaming is dead there anyway

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Dragona Akehi said:

It's odd, most 3d games don't bother me, but I was rather disoriented by it. I don't get nauseous, but there's definitely some vertigo.

You know what I don't understand? Why doesn't Nintendo make a 2D Mario for the Wii?

I see no reason why not. It'll be cheap to make, and will sell tons.

And it could represent a return of a dead genre to consoles. 2D Platforming.

Edit - It could even be 3D, but just played like a 2D platformer.

Culex

Banned
ComputerNerd said:
You know what I don't understand? Why doesn't Nintendo make a 2D Mario for the Wii?

I hear there's this game called Super Paper Mario, although I could be wrong.

DKJB79

ComputerNerd said:

something like donkey kong jungle beat with mario instead would be nice and fun :D

Sage00

Once And Future Member
ComputerNerd said:

Nintendo generally don't do things that would cannibalize another platform.
The reason they haven't made a "real" Pokemon RPG for consoles.

While it doesn't look like it would harm DS at all, Pokemon on consoles probably wouldn't have harmed GB/C/A either. Meh, Nintendo logic..

GreenGlowingGoo said:
You mean the RPG?

Yeah, Super Paper Mario isn't even close to what I was thinking about.

I was thinking about a traditional Mario 2D (or 3D but played like 2D) platformer.

Super Paper Mario was an RPG, had TONS upon TONS upon TONS of text, and the patforming parts were off and weird. It was a mix of 2D and 3D.

New Super Mario Brothers showed that 2D platforming still has a place in the market.

Neomoto

Funny how things can change in just 3 weeks.

Galaxy didn't put Wii way up high again.
Galaxy didn't push as much software as we thought at least for now
Xbox360 outsold PS3 (for a week)
PS3 outsold Wii twice in a row

Oh well, in 2 weeks Wii Fit and 1 week later (?) GT5P so it should be interesting

DKJB79

perfectchaos007 said:
Has anyone started to question Wii being a fad? I never thought I would say that, but looking at Japan, maybe Wii was a fad....in Japan.

stop it please and wait until the end of Xmas season... then u may start to think what you want !

perfectchaos007 said:
Has anyone started to question Wii being a fad? I never thought I would say that, but looking at Japan, maybe Wii was a fad....in Japan.

Oh god no. Just look at that charted posted a few pages back that showed the PS2 numbers in November throughout the years.

They all started November around where the Wii is at, and picked up only in the last week (in one case, it was the last two weeks).

ksamedi said:
I think Japanese people don't like Mario as much in 3D. Its still a popular game but its much more playeble in 2D. Galaxy is almost like 4D by the way, people like the looks but are afraid to play it. Its intimidating.

Orrrrrrrrrr Wii in Japan has a more casual audience that is under-interested in core game experiences and over-interested in party games and non-gamer-targeted software... as some of us have been suggesting for a while now.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
charlequin said:
Orrrrrrrrrr Wii in Japan has a more casual audience that is under-interested in core game experiences and over-interested in party games and non-gamer-targeted software... as some of us have been suggesting for a while now.

Maybe, maybe not.

RE:UC is doing very well, and RE4 did well.

DQ:Swords did well

Fire Emblem and Paper Mario are going to do better than their GC predecessors.

I agree there are some definite examples of your hypothesis, but there are also examples tentatively pointing the other way.

charlequin said:

3D platformers just don't do that well in Japan. Even Mario 64, the grand master of 3D platformers, and also the best selling one ever, sold what was it? 1.6 million in Japan?

Out of over 10 million worldwide. If I recall, even the US bought over 5 million Mario 64's.

I think Mario 64 is the only 3D platformer to ever sell over a million in Japan.

when does Trauma Center 2 come out in Japan and will it chart? or is it one of those strange Japanese games made specifically for the North American market? much Like Cooking Mama DS has turned into in the UK...

ComputerNerd said:
I think Mario 64 is the only 3D platformer to ever sell over a million in Japan.
I think one or two of the PS Crash games might have as well, but I'm not sure. But if not then just Mario 64 and the DS version.

ksamedi

charlequin said:

If that were the case the Wii would be selling much much more, it doesn't come even close to the appeal the DS has for casuals. Party games besides the usual Nintendo games like Marioparty or WarioWare were non existent on the charts.

Top Bottom