• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/10 - 12/16 2007

I wonder what's preventing people from buying PSP games. They doubled last weeks sales yet only 3 games made the top 50. Are they pirating the games or are they simply buying PSPs to use as portable media players?

ethelred

Jamesfrom818 said:
I wonder what's preventing people from buying PSP games. They doubled last weeks sales yet only 3 games made the top 50. Are they pirating the games or are they simply buying PSPs to use as portable media players?

That's a really good question. It's amazing it hasn't been asked before in this thread or in other threads.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Jamesfrom818 said:

It is a combination of both.

Not exclusive to one or the other.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
ethelred said:
hey guys did you realize lots and lots of PSPs are getting sold but no one's buying games?

I didn't, I saw the PSP dominate the top 30 charts but apparently I woke up and it was all a dream.

Lobster

Banned
Those are pretty cool sales. NiGHTs and Chocobo bomb..seriously..and it was mysterious dungeon too!

Looks like SMG might make it to 1 million. Mario and Sonic is doing well, very well...not aswell as everywhere else though..wow..

SEGA marketing>Nintendo marketing???

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I don't think 45k first week sales for Wii is a bomb.

You guys have to take into consideration Wii development costs are far lower then 360 and PS3. Devs have to sell far less on Wii then the other two to make a profit back.

Lobster said:
Those are pretty cool sales. NiGHTs and Chocobo bomb..seriously..and it was mysterious dungeon too!

Looks like SMG might make it to 1 million. Mario and Sonic is doing well, very well...not aswell as everywhere else though..wow..

SEGA marketing>Nintendo marketing???

That would more likely be Nintendo marketing as the game is published by Nintendo in Japan, remember?

Piracy and custom FW do hurt PSP game sales, but it also has something to do with the fact that no game maker could foresee that PSP Slim would boost the hardware sales that much. It is probably beyond everyone's expectation, including Sony. Some GAFers pointed out that PSP has the LEAST amount of new titles from Sep to Dec this year, comparing with DS and other consoles. If game makers knew PSP sales would rise that much, they would probably push more games in this period.

No, I am not saying that the game selling potential of PSP rises in direct proportion to the hardware sales growth. But a boost is still there, as we can see in the performance of some recent games like MGS:pO+, Gundam Battle Chronicles and a few others. PSP software market will never be comparable to DS, but it does have the capability to support some big titles like CCFF7 and MHP, as well as other smaller, well-crafted ones.

AniHawk

1. SSBB
2. Grand Theft Auto IV
3. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
4. God of War: Chains of Olympus
5. Halo Wars

NDS
Harvest Moon 2: 5
Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword: 3
Advance Wars Days of Ruin: 2
Apollo Justice Ace Attorney: 2

PSP
God of War: Chains of Olympus: 25
Gran Turismo: 8
FFVIICC: 2

Halo Wars: 25
Ninja Gaiden 2: 9
Left 4 Dead: 5
Too Human: 4

Wii
SSBB: 190
DQS: 2
Endless Ocean: 2
No More Heroes: 1

PS3
Haze: 9
Killzone 2: 8
LittleBigPlanet:2

PC
WoW Wrath of the Lich King That's Amazing: 11
Starcraft 2: 10
Spore: 3

GTA IV: 82 (64 360, 18 PS3)
Star Wars: Force Unleashed: 39 (26 360, 13 PS3)
Turok: 22 (20 360, 2 PS3)
Devil May Cry 4: 21 (11 PS3, 10 360)
Ghostbusters: 5 (2 Wii, 2 360, 1 PS3)

donny2112

AnimeTheme said:
No, I am not saying that the game selling potential of PSP rises in direct proportion to the hardware sales growth. But a boost is still there, as we can see in the performance of some recent games like MGS:pO+, Gundam Battle Chronicles and a few others. PSP software market will never be comparable to DS, but it does have the capability to support some big titles like CCFF7 and MHP, as well as other smaller, well-crafted ones.

MGS: Portable Ops sold 320K in less than three months. It's budget (?) re-release with some extras sold 180K in a month.

Gundam Battle Chronicle sold 190K in just over a month. Gundam Battle Royale sold 92K in about a month and Gundam Battle Tactics sold about 63K in a month. Chronicle sold well for the Gundam Battle * games/series.

The real problem with PSP is the insane amount of software that is released every week and doesn't make even top50.

I mean, look at Talkman this week.

And thats about it :lol

apujanata

AniHawk said:
1. SSBB
2. Grand Theft Auto IV
3. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
4. God of War: Chains of Olympus
5. Halo Wars

NDS
Harvest Moon 2: 5
Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword: 3

PSP
Gran Turismo: 8

Halo Wars: 25
Ninja Gaiden 2: 9
Left 4 Dead: 5

Wii
Endless Ocean: 2

PS3
Killzone 2: 8
LittleBigPlanet:2

PC
WoW Wrath of the Lich King That's Amazing: 11

GTA IV: 82 (64 360, 18 PS3)
Star Wars: Force Unleashed: 39 (26 360, 13 PS3)
Turok: 22 (20 360, 2 PS3)
Devil May Cry 4: 21 (11 PS3, 10 360)
Ghostbusters: 5 (2 Wii, 2 360, 1 PS3)

Anihawk, what was the preorder # for SMG before it release ? Just wanted to know how SSBB # compare to that game.

Wow at 2 preorder for Apollo Justice. Go Gyakuten Saiban.
Another wow for LBP which have the exact same # of preorder with Apollo Justice. What happened ? Didn't GAF hyped about LBP ?

AniHawk

apujanata said:
Anihawk, what was the preorder # for SMG before it release ? Just wanted to know how SSBB # compare to that game.

I think it was around 74 or 75. We've sold around 140 copies or so at our store so far.

Wow at 2 preorder for Apollo Justice. Go Gyakuten Saiban.
Another wow for LBP which have the exact same # of preorder with Apollo Justice. What happened ? Didn't GAF hyped about LBP ?

Yeah but most PS3 owners don't give a shit about colorful platformers.

Chumly

AniHawk said:
awesome stuff

Thanks Anihawk. Isnt today (Friday) the day that all gamestops/ebs are doing the whole reserve a Wii for after christmas for one day only? Im interested in seeing what the numbers will be for that. Also do u know if theres gonna be a limit for how much reservations each store can make?

AniHawk

Chumly said:
Thanks Anihawk. Isnt today (Friday) the day that all gamestops/ebs are doing the whole reserve a Wii for after christmas for one day only? Im interested in seeing what the numbers will be for that. Also do u know if theres gonna be a limit for how much reservations each store can make?

Yeah. Our store is going to be able to reserve 18. 6 of those people will actually get Wiis sometime before Christmas, as the last shipment was late a day.

Some smaller stores can only do 12. Only one store, which is located in a rather large mall, is allowing for 48 reservations.

Chumly

AniHawk said:
Yeah. Our store is going to be able to reserve 18. 6 of those people will actually get Wiis sometime before Christmas, as the last shipment was late a day.

Some smaller stores can only do 12. Only one store, which is located in a rather large mall, is allowing for 48 reservations.
:lol :lol
Nvm then Nintendo made it sound like each store would actually let people reserve a DECENT amount. Thats a glorified large shipment.

justchris

AniHawk said:
NDS

PSP

Wii

PS3

PC

Oh, thanks for reminding me, there's like 15 new games I need to reserve for the new year.

Wait, no Lost Odyssey? Your town is full of soulless bastards.

AniHawk

Chumly said:
So basically Brawl is going to have an epic February.

Yeah. Unless Nintendo cuts off the SKU in advance, it'll probably hit 250 overall for the game. If they can keep it in stock regularly, it'll do phenomenal. People still buy used copies of SSBM even though they cost $35.

HK-47 said:
The piracy scene is so big now that it wont matter. The hackers have incentive to keep breaking the firmware even though it would be harder. Not to mention you'd screw the homebrew scene.
Yeah, Sony should think about those homebrewers. All those great emulators for pirating playing the games you own on PSP.

nib95 said:
Anyone know how many downloads GT5P had?

I'm guessing the game actually sold in the region of 250k - 300k? Which for a pre-release expanded demo is very good indeed.
We'll never know unless Sony tells us. But to expect downloadable numbers to be in the 130k+ range and actually topping retail sales is "optimistic" at best.

That being said the retail numbers are really good for PS3, not what some people were expecting but those were out if their mind anyways.

Fafalada said:
Actually it stopped software sales completely in the regions where piracy was really bad. Not that Playstations were any exception in that matter - it applied to all video game systems.

That said, on global scale I think GBA probably suffered the most prior to PSP, and that was inspite of targetting younger demographics. Lower costs of software development made that relatively non-issue though, a luxury that PSP never had.
That's strange, in Germany PS2 piracy was rampant, didn't stop software from selling though. I guess it wasn't different for the wole of Europe.

AnimeTheme said:
Piracy and custom FW do hurt PSP game sales, but it also has something to do with the fact that no game maker could foresee that PSP Slim would boost the hardware sales that much. It is probably beyond everyone's expectation, including Sony. Some GAFers pointed out that PSP has the LEAST amount of new titles from Sep to Dec this year, comparing with DS and other consoles. If game makers knew PSP sales would rise that much, they would probably push more games in this period.

But that's the problem with the PSP, the software sales are abysmal in regards to it's installed base. That's why less and less software gets released. How would a boost in userbase convince publishers to put out more software? And in regards to big titles, look at how MnG:p2 performs.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
The real problem with PSP is the insane amount of software that is released every week and doesn't make even top50.

I mean, look at Talkman this week.

And thats about it :lol
Bad software sales means less games getting released, not really surprising.

Btw Talkman had some great advertising in Euroland before/during the WC - too bad the software is useless.

AniHawk

Overall analysis for the end of the week (since I have tomorrow off thank god).

360: Sold out of the Arcade and the Elite. Two premiums left (and their boxes are sorta beat up, but otherwise they're in good shape). Eight Halo 360s left and they've been here for months. So they're going to stick around until the price drops. Pretty much everything: Halo 3, Mass Effect, GH III, Rock Band, Assassin's Creed, Orange Box, Bioshock, and COD4 have been selling well to varying degrees.

PS3: We had a big push for this thing in November and early December, but recently sales have died. Still, Assassin's Creed and COD4 are popular, although Uncharted and Ratchet rarely sell. I haven't seen a copy of Lair, Folklore, or Heavenly Sword leave the store in months.

PSP: Pretty popular. Still too many Star Wars bundles, but they're slowly moving. The best selling titles are to the kids that buy Transformers and Cars, or to the more hardcore crowd with games like FFT. The biggest question is "how can I put movies on it," and few people really care about the games for the thing.

NDS: Extremely popular. Especially now that we're "sold out" (corporate's making stores hold them until the day after Christmas). Popular games are pretty much anything these days. We've been restocked on Contra 4 constantly at this point. The only big hardcore game that hasn't sold lots is FFXIIRW, and we have a huge overstock of Phantom Hourglass.

Wii: Holy shit WTF. A lot of people don't even know this thing has been hard to find for the last year. I told one guy about the reservation thing since it could be a good last resort sort of thing, and he sorta laughed it off and said "what's the point?" since, you know, they're going to be pretty easy to find in January. ...Anyway, we sold a shitload of Mario and Sonic today, and we won't have any left at the end of the weekend. Super Mario Galaxy is close behind, but I think we should have copies left until Christmas Eve and maybe even the day after Christmas. DBZ is sorta popular. NiGHTS only sold to two guys (myself and a former coworker).

PS2: Yeah... not too many systems sold anymore. The big thing seems to be getting DBZBT3, Tony Hawk, Need for Speed, and sports games. It's pretty much becoming the cheap casual console like its father before it.

AniHawk

Pureauthor said:

To be fair, it's mostly been employees and former employees that have bought and pimped the game. Gen Xer fathers that played the first game in their kid/teenage years also bought it and love it.

Jirotrom

AniHawk said:
Ani your store sucks... only 190 smash reserves and 0 DMC4 and Culdcept Saga reserves tisk tisk.

EDIT: corp is making you guys hold your DS's? I'm in Dallas and I haven't heard that, we are legitimately sold out of them.

AniHawk said:
To be fair, it's mostly been employees and former employees that have bought and pimped the game. Gen Xer fathers that played the first game in their kid/teenage years also bought it and love it.

A sale's a sale.

Did you buy it?

What are those PSP sales ??!!!
It looks like DS sales for me.
360 sales are... as usual.
ps3 sales are...quite decent but not stellar
ps2 is dying
wii are through the roof
ds is king, but only marginally better on the hw than psp! How could anyone thought that psp s&l and the release of a few more games and color would have made such a difference ?

AniHawk

Jirotrom said:
ahhh... still no Culdcept saga though:p again, We didn't receive anything saying to hold our DSs. We've been sold out since monday...

It's not just DS.

GH III PS2
GH III 360
GH III PS3
GH III Wii
Rock Band PS3
Rock Band 360
Wii Zapper
Wii Play
Wii Charging stations
Mario Party DS

...and lots more until the day after Christmas.

jesusraz

AniHawk said:
The only big hardcore game that hasn't sold lots is FFXIIRW...
Strange. Why do you think this is? It's been getting strong reviews across the board. Is it lack of advertising, the particular genre being a turn off, a possible bad taste from FFXII or something else? Strikes me as odd how unpopular it's been since launch.

Jirotrom

AniHawk said:
It's not just DS.

GH III PS2
GH III 360
GH III PS3
GH III Wii
Rock Band PS3
Rock Band 360
Wii Zapper
Wii Play
Wii Charging stations
Mario Party DS

...and lots more until the day after Christmas.
wow... we have the zappers on display and they arent selling, we are selling wii play, Mario party we are sold out, RB bundles for 360 are gone, all GH3 bundles are sold out, even our pc ones. We were never told to hold ours, thats kind of weird to hold it the day after Christmas when people want them so bad now. We seriously get as many calls for GH3 as we do Wii.

Top Bottom