• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/10 - 12/16 2007

donny2112

Hcoregamer00 said:
That is where I know that you are slightly incorrect.

The DS had a price drop when from $149.99 to $129.99 at around the same time as the DS Lite was launched.

It might help, maybe, if you were to look up when the DS's price dropped to $129.99 and whether that still qualifies as "around the same time as the DS Lite was launched." I think it's a little too far out to qualify, myself.

Christine

Hcoregamer00 said:
The DS had a price drop when from $149.99 to $129.99 at around the same time as the DS Lite was launched. I know that because the DS was the most expensive handheld I ever bought (until I picked up the $170 PSP.)

The price drop of the phat to $130 occurred ten months before the launch of the Lite in the US.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
gcfan2k5 said:
:lol Ok thanks. Crazy how high Wii has been compared to PS3 in Japan.

Personally I think the more interesting thing is how the Wii and DS basically turned Nintendo from a company who was behind the times to the most innovative hardware developer out there.

When the PSP was announced, I thought it would be a repeat of the Playstation Era, with a newcomer kicking the butt of the old guard. It even started off with a bang, with the DS not looking so hot after the PSP launch. Then they released Nintendogs, Animal Crossing and Brain Age and gave PSP the triple hit combo with the DS lite as the final blow.

Who would have thought?

donny2112 said:
It might help, maybe, if you were to look up when the DS's price dropped to $129.99 and whether that still qualifies as "around the same time as the DS Lite was launched." I think it's a little too far out to qualify, myself.

Really?

Languishing in my house in Christmas Vacation definitely put me on sleep mode because I don't remember the DS price drop until DS lite launch.

But since you have someone who was also vouching for the same statement I believe it since you seem to be a bastion of sales-age knowledge.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Is it me or is the Wii line getting an erection?

mc-LTD-55.jpg

donny2112

PantherLotus said:
(always takin <crap> personally, too) :|

Yes, there's that.

donny2112
does not take a joke
(Today, 10:12 PM)
Reply | Quote | Edit/Del

Hcoregamer00 said:
Really?

Languishing in my house in Christmas Vacation definitely put me on sleep mode because I don't remember the DS price drop until DS lite launch.

As a matter of fact, I bought a DS at Christmas 2005 for $97 before tax, but that's neither here nor there. :lol

gcfan2k5

donny2112 said:
The purpose of the graphs I post is to provide context to the raw sales numbers at significant points in the hardware's life cycle. For the handheld graph, it's had a lot of significant points over the last three years. For the console graph, there's been a lot of bumping going on since October which necessitates more notes. I do clean out older, less important notes when I expand the graphs out in time, but the notes are necessay to provide historical context.

Knowing that the Wii jumped to > 100K in late July isn't nearly as useful as also knowing that the increase in supply coincided with Dragon Quest Swords's release. If you don't find it useful, that's fine. If no one found it useful, I wouldn't be posting it here. :p

No its plenty useful, they just make my brain hurt because of their complexity. Not meant to disrespect you or your graphs in any way.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
gcfan2k5 said:
No its plenty useful, they just make my brain hurt because of their complexity. Not meant to disrespect you or your graphs in any way.

No, I like the graphs because it puts it in context of the past.

Personally I would prefer if he made it wider so that his great information would have more space to "breathe" so to speak.

Hmm, as we move move towards the best selling weeks of the year in Japan, you'd think that ps3 sales would be on the upswing. Apparently not, if you compare year over year sales for the past two weeks. Very discouraging, but I imagine ps3 will perform better in 2008.

12/4 - 12/10/06 = 50,171
12/11 - 12/17/06 = 70,942

12/3 - 12/9/07 = 38,123
12/10 - 12/16/07 = 63,720

Wii, on the other hand, is performing very well, compared to the same two weeks last year:

12/4 - 12/10/06 = 85,439
12/11 - 12/17/06 = 108,237

12/3 - 12/9/07 = 115,057
12/10 - 12/16/07 = 170,558

jesusraz

Out of interest, anyone know how well the Drum Master series normally sells? That DS version just refuses to go away :lol Bugs and low stock supplies have not dampened interest at all it seems!

EDIT: Actually, just found this PS2 data:

- Taiko no Tatsujin: Tatakon de Dodon ga Don - 722.797
- Taiko no Tatsujin: Appare Sandaime - 578.993
- Taiko no Tatsujin: Doki! Shinkyoku Darake no Haru Matsuri - 407.181

Seems the DS game isn't performing quite as well as I thought...

donny2112

jesusraz said:
Out of interest, anyone know how well the Drum Master series normally sells?

It varies a lot with some selling more than the current total for the DS version and some selling less. The total for the two PSP versions combined is only about 2/3rds of the DS version's sales, though.

jesusraz said:
Seems the DS game isn't performing quite as well as I thought...

Those are three of the four PS2 games that have sold more than the DS version. There are also 7 PS2 games that have sold less.

gcfan2k5

Nintendo is the #1 publisher by software sales in Japan this year right?

EDIT Kuramu :lol :lol :lol

Link me to Sea of Glomp so i can go try it.

Kuramu

donny2112 said:
The purpose of the graphs I post is to provide context to the raw sales numbers at significant points in the hardware's life cycle. For the handheld graph, it's had a lot of significant points over the last three years. For the console graph, there's been a lot of bumping going on since October which necessitates more notes. I do clean out older, less important notes when I expand the graphs out in time, but the notes are necessay to provide historical context.

Knowing that the Wii jumped to > 100K in late July isn't nearly as useful as also knowing that the increase in supply coincided with Dragon Quest Swords's release. If you don't find it useful, that's fine. If no one found it useful, I wouldn't be posting it here. :p

Don't change a thing donny. It is indeed useful

gcfan2k5 said:

EDIT Kuramu :lol :lol :lol

Link me to Sea of Glomp so i can go try it.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/392528

donny2112

gcfan2k5 said:
So that makes them the top selling publisher right?

Just based on the Famitsu Top 30s for 2007, here are the top publishers.

Nintendo - 16.9 million
Square-Enix - 5.3 million
Namco-Bandai - 3.9 million
Capcom - 3.3 million
Konami - 2.4 million
Nintendo/Pokemon - 2.1 million

They're actually more like 40%.

Odysseus said:
i edit them out, too

high five

*high fives Odysseus* :)

Kuramu said:
Don't change a thing donny. It is indeed useful

Thanks! :)

Minsc

Gold Member
Anyone have first week numbers on Final Fantasy III DS?

I have no idea what to expect from yesterday's (?) release of the FF IV remake, but I'm hoping it's first week is good, for no other reason than because I enjoyed the heck out of it when it came out ~16 years ago.

Busaiku

Minsc said:
Anyone have first week numbers on Final Fantasy III DS?

I have no idea what to expect from yesterday's (?) release of the FF IV remake, but I'm hoping it's first week is good, for no other reason than because I enjoyed the heck out of it when it came out ~16 years ago.
Famitsu has it at 501,701.
Though it experienced an extreme shortage.

botticus

donny2112 said:
As a matter of fact, I bought a DS at Christmas 2005 for $97 before tax, but that's neither here nor there. :lol
What the hell, you got someone to price-match that ad? I was happy enough just to get it for $100

jesusraz

donny2112 said:
It varies a lot with some selling more than the current total for the DS version and some selling less. The total for the two PSP versions combined is only about 2/3rds of the DS version's sales, though.

Those are three of the four PS2 games that have sold more than the DS version. There are also 7 PS2 games that have sold less.
Blimey, didn't realise there were so many on PS2! Yowzers! And thanks for the info on the PSP versions. Perhaps it IS doing as well as I thought, after all! ;)

nib95

Banned
Anyone know how many downloads GT5P had?

I'm guessing the game actually sold in the region of 250k - 300k? Which for a pre-release expanded demo is very good indeed.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Really?

But since you have someone who was also vouching for the same statement I believe it since you seem to be a bastion of sales-age knowledge.
November 2004: DS releases at $150 in US.
August 2005: DS drops from $150 to $130 in US.
June 2006: DS Lite releases at $130 in US.

nextgeneration said:
Hmm, as we move move towards the best selling weeks of the year in Japan, you'd think that ps3 sales would be on the upswing. Apparently not, if you compare year over year sales for the past two weeks.
A year ago Wii/PS3 were both in launch mode and in short supply. A look at the yearly changes from such a period doesn't tell us much.
gcfan2k5 said:
I feel confident in saying yes without checking. When was the last year this wasn't the case? I don't recall how they fared in publisher breakdowns pre-DS, though they've always been way up there.

It's amazing to me how bad the PS2 is doing sales wise in JPN compared to the US where it hasn't stopped running out of steam. It's almost getting down to Xbox levels in JPN but in the States it still outsells the PS3 every month.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
RamzaIsCool said:
There was widespread piracy on both PSX and PS2, but that didnt stop great software sales
Actually it stopped software sales completely in the regions where piracy was really bad. Not that Playstations were any exception in that matter - it applied to all video game systems.

That said, on global scale I think GBA probably suffered the most prior to PSP, and that was inspite of targetting younger demographics. Lower costs of software development made that relatively non-issue though, a luxury that PSP never had.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
When was the last year this wasn't the case? I don't recall how they fared in publisher breakdowns pre-DS, though they've always been way up there.

Just looking at the Famitsu top 30s for each year, 1998 was the last time Nintendo wasn't the #1 publisher in Japan (SCEI was). It was a much smaller difference between #1 and #2 most of those years, though.

ethelred

OldJadedGamer said:
It's amazing to me how bad the PS2 is doing sales wise in JPN compared to the US where it hasn't stopped running out of steam. It's almost getting down to Xbox levels in JPN but in the States it still outsells the PS3 every month.

Why is it surprising? It's the exact same situation as with the GBA. It cratered in Japan and continued to sell enormously well in the United States by benefit of its low low price and large software library.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
ethelred said:
Why the fuck is it surprising? It's the god-damned exact same situation as with the GBA. It cratered to hell in Japan and continued to sell enormously well in the United States by benefit of its fucking low price and large software library.

So what are you saying?

jesusraz

I'm also a bit shocked to see Cooking Mama 2 creep back in at the bottom of the charts. Taito must be really pleased with how this one's picked up...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The DS will pass the PS2 this week, the numbers should be a nice gift for Nintendo next week.

apujanata

donny2112 said:

Keep updating the graph. I find it useful.

blitz64

Hcoregamer00 said:
Personally I think the more interesting thing is how the Wii and DS basically turned Nintendo from a company who was behind the times to the most innovative hardware developer out there.

Yes, and it was a very BIG RISK. if those 2 failed, it could really be the end of nintendo in the hardware business.
Even though it is very innovative, I don't see Microsoft or Sony coming out with a touch screen handheld or a wagle console in the next generation. who knows...

Top Bottom