• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/10 - 12/16 2007

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Souldriver said:
Dear god, I just noticed something:

PSP only 40k behind the DS. :O :O :O

Good christ, to think the DS sold like 8 times the amount of the PSP last year, and now they're neck and neck.

HANDHELD DOMINATION TOTAL

I dont call 40k "neck and neck"

Leonsito

I wonder when the DS will stop selling, last year numbers were higher than this, and the DS is now at PS2 LTD level, but the PS2 reached the 20M in its last "glorious" weeks, the DS may do another couple of years.

beerbelly

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
That Lost Odyssey game dropped 43 places? Was anyone expecting that?

I think everyone expected it to sell at least as much as Blue Dragon, about 200,000, so it bombed hard. Japanese gamers are too unpredictable this gen :(

Busaiku

Leonsito said:
I wonder when the DS will stop selling, last year numbers were higher than this, and the DS is now at PS2 LTD level, but the PS2 reached the 20M in its last "glorious" weeks, the DS may do another couple of years.
It's selling less than last year, but it's still an amazing rate. I'd think somewhere from 2-4 years to reach what the PS2 is doing now.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
AltogetherAndrews said:
That Lost Odyssey game dropped 43 places? Was anyone expecting that?
Considering the higher install base the game should, or at least looked like it should've, performed better than BD.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
beerbelly said:
I think everyone expected it to sell at least as much as Blue Dragon, about 200,000, so it bombed hard. Japanese gamers are too unpredictable this gen :(

No one expected that, as it wasnt bundled with the system

nice numbers for wii.. psp is selling strong as well.

I wonder what developers are thinking though seeing only 1 game for psp in the top 30 with hardware sales like that.

They must know piracy is running rampant in japan with that system.

gcubed

Busaiku said:
It's selling less than last year, but it's still an amazing rate. I'd think somewhere from 2-4 years to reach what the PS2 is doing now.

the DS is just a freakin machine. For shame, i have yet to buy one, but i have my eye on a red one. I'm part of the problem, not the solution

Leonsito

Busaiku said:

Last year LTD was 8.3 M and this year may reach 7M, with this kind of performance it will reach 30M in 2 years if nothing strange happens.

Leonsito

Smiles and Cries said:
nintendo could always put out new ds colors if they need a boost

DQ9 is still a year away right?

Oh shi- I totally forget about DQ9, it's gonna reach when the DS LTD could be about 25M, the sales are going to be monstruous.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
test_account said:
Ok, i just arrived here, didnt check previous posts :) Usually the hardware numbers are posted around this time, no? I guess i should check first if they were already posted.

I almost made the same mistake.

That's what we get for doubting the Cheese!

test_account

XP-39C²
schuelma said:
I almost made the same mistake.

That's what we get for doubting the Cheese!

Hehe true :) I actually did check the previous page and i saw donny's Famitsu post earlier, but i totally missed the hardware numbers and 31 - 50 place for some reason.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Leonsito said:
Oh shi- I totally forget about DQ9, it's gonna reach when the DS LTD could be about 25M, the sales are going to be monstruous.

Eh I dont know how much of an effect DQ IX will have...I should hope with all the Square stuff already on the machine, RPG fans would have picked it up. How did much did PS2 bump with DQ VIII?

HK-47 said:
I dont call 40k "neck and neck"
I think it doesn't have to be repeated in every post that the DS is a monster...

Just look at it:

--------Last Year-------This Year
DS-----319,708--------222,132
PSP-----48,962 --------184,610

I think a Hurray for the PSP is appropriate.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Isnt there anything that Sony can do about the pirating thing on the PSP, because the way it is going now is somewhere horrible regardless how much hardware it sells. Dev support is already low and it will disappear completely if this continues.

RamzaIsCool said:
Isnt there anything that Sony can do about the pirating thing on the PSP, because the way it is going now is somewhere horrible regardless how much hardware it sells. Dev support is already low and it will disappear complete if this continues.
I'm not sure if Sony finds this a bad situation. Maybe they've come to terms with the horrible software sales (it's impossible at this stage of the PSPs life to make software sales healthy again (?)), and they might be happy with strong hardware sales alone.

Off course, I'm clueless on the matter since I'm not a handheld manufacturer. :p

gcubed

Souldriver said:
I'm not sure if Sony finds this a bad situation.

Maybe they've realised the it's hopeless to make software sales surge again, so they might be happy with strong hardware sales alone.

Off course, I'm clueless on the matter since I'm not a handheld manufacturer. :p

i was typing the above pretty much... do you alienate your users that are putting money in your pocket at a time when you have a serious need for it? As long as it sells well, i'm sure Sony will turn a blind eye... until it hits them hard in the pocketbook

beerbelly

Banned
Sony is probably making big profits from PSP hardware sales and probably knows it's a lost cause with software sales. They won't do anything about piracy.

gcfan2k5

gcubed said:
i was typing the above pretty much... do you alienate your users that are putting money in your pocket at a time when you have a serious need for it? As long as it sells well, i'm sure Sony will turn a blind eye... until it hits them hard in the pocketbook

Im pretty sure having 5 - 10% of the software sales you otherwise wouldve had if the piracy werent so common, is hitting them hard in the pocketbook. Sony cant stop the piracy, the system is too easy to crack with pandora being around now.

dude

dude
HK-47 said:
Eh I dont know how much of an effect DQ IX will have...I should hope with all the Square stuff already on the machine, RPG fans would have picked it up. How did much did PS2 bump with DQ VIII?
If they release a bundle with a new color/model, watch DS sales rise to the sky.

womfalcs3

Banned
Piracy was a big reason the PS2 sold well in developing nations. Evidently with the PSP, it's ubiquitous globally, and not localized. This may be a problem.

Some piracy is good, but not to the extent of the PSP's.

I don't own any PSP UMD's with the exception of the bundled game because I mainly use it for other purposes (Remote Play, multi-media playback, and DL games).

Also, what is up with the Famitsu vs. MC numbers? Which one holds more credibility?

CrisKre

I'm not sure if Sony finds this a bad situation.

Maybe they've realised the it's hopeless to make software sales surge again, so they might be happy with strong hardware sales alone.

Hmmm... no. the videogame business is driven by software sales. This is not a good situation for Sony. At all. Especially in their relationships with 3rd party that im sure dont enjoy their intellectual ip's being pirated. That said it definately is impressive that they can sell 180k in a week.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
dude said:
If they release a bundle with a new color/model, watch DS sales rise to the sky.

New colors wont have a lasting effect...a new model however would be insane

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
womfalcs3 said:
Piracy was a big reason the PS2 sold well in developing nations. Evidently with the PSP, it's ubiquitous globally, and not localized. This may be a problem.

I don't own any PSP UMD's with the exception of the bundled game because I mainly use it for other purposes (Remote Play, multi-media playback, and DL games).

Also, what is up with the Famitsu vs. MC numbers? Which one holds more credibility?

Both are fine though we use MC for hardware and Fami for software

sphinx

the piano man
Souldriver said:
--------Last Year-------This Year
DS-----319,708--------222,132
PSP-----48,962 --------184,610

this is indeed very impressive for PSP. The thing is that the DS and all that it represents is untouchable and unreachable, specially in Japan. I guess that's why people hesitate to give PSP proper credit for the YoY improvement.

also, the 40k gap is too wide to even make comparisons.

Just a notice:

By next week, DS should overtake the PS2 LTD install base. Impressive feat considering DS is about 3 years old compared with PS2's 7. And with very little sign of slowing down, DS can really go beyond.

Hardware - This Week | Last Week | YTD | LTD
1. NDS - 222,144 | 168,267 | 6,668,915 | 20,674,594
5. PS2 - 18,025 | 11,987 | 726,218 | 20,881,077

gcubed said:
lets says Sony does nothing, but devs and publishers may not be so forgiving

CrisKre

New colors wont have a lasting effect...a new model however would be insane

What could they possibly improve on a new ds model? VC ds? MORE compact? doesnt it make more sense to save it for DS2 a couple of years down the line? while we are at it, i hope DS2 has some sort of tilt function like Kirby tilt n tumble or wario ware twisted built in.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
RamzaIsCool said:
Isnt there anything that Sony can do about the pirating thing on the PSP, because the way it is going now is somewhere horrible regardless how much hardware it sells. Dev support is already low and it will disappear completely if this continues.

There is, have strong firmware and require all the new games to have the absolute newest firmware.

Sony could do something about the piracy, but it looks like they are watching it from far away just because it is pushing hardware, and hardware is profitable.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Souldriver said:
I'm not sure if Sony finds this a bad situation. Maybe they've come to terms with the horrible software sales (it's impossible at this stage of the PSPs life to make software sales healthy again (?)), and they might be happy with strong hardware sales alone.

Well Sony might think that way, but think about the consumer. Would you be content with a devise that has no games comming out for it. There was widespread piracy on both PSX and PS2, but that didnt stop great software sales, so the flow of games developed on it never stopped. The PSP situation is completely diffrent, you just cant look to these charts and say good week PSP, because it simply isnt.

CrisKre said:
What could they possibly improve on a new ds model? VC ds? MORE compact? doesnt it make more sense to save it for DS2 a couple of years down the line? while we are at it, i hope DS2 has some sort of tilt function like Kirby tilt n tumble or wario ware twisted built in.

Yeah, I feel the DSLite is pretty much as good as a model as we need. I'd rather all resources and R&D be put towards a successor rather than trying to prolong this generation even further. Hopefully we'll hear something about the DS2 within a year or two, but I don't expect it to release until holiday 2010 at this rate.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
womfalcs3 said:

I hope you aren't implying that you are part of the problem.

Xeke

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
There is, have strong firmware and require all the new games to have the absolute newest firmware.

Sony could do something about the piracy, but it looks like they are watching it from far away just because it is pushing hardware, and hardware is profitable.

Yeah but the software is such a disaster.

gcubed

Hcoregamer00 said:

i agree... pandora or not, Sony CAN fix the pirating situation if things turned super ugly and they needed to. Once hte psp store / ps network sharing hits the psp that may help. Right now it looks like Sony is taking the best homebrew ideas and putting them in the real firmware, trying to take away advantages.

iidesuyo

gcubed said:
looks like the ps2 is slowly dying... finally

Software is still strong though.

The PSP also competes with the iPod (video), Sony completely missed out the mp3 revolution and has now the chance to get back some of the market share.

I hope that software sales pick up when good software is released (we haven't seen much in the past few weeks, while other consoles had one great game after another). It has proven already that it _can_ sell games.

Top Bottom