• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/10 - 12/16 2007

Raist

Banned
DanielJohnson said:
Actually, considering install bases, you're wrong.

Yeah sure, but one is a jRPG made by FF's daddy, the other is a third person shooter/platformer made by a western dev.
Guess which one should sell way higher in Japan.

Raist said:
Yeah sure, but one is a jRPG made by FF's daddy, the other is a third person shooter/platformer made by a western dev.
Guess which one should sell way higher in Japan.
Honestly, I'd say they both performed as expected. Its clear at this point that there are 50-60k hardcore gamers that are obsessed with their 360's in Japan. Lost Odyssey did exactly what Halo did when it came out, charted in the top 10 and then fell off the face of the earth.

Uncharted did mediocre at best, considering everything going against it.

Hard numbers - 34k on a system with 3x the install base(PS3) vs 55k on 360

Its obvious now that the gooch isn't making system sellers, but compared to uncharted, it did fine.

gcubed said:
until sony gives us download numbers for GT5P, its hard to say that the numbers there are bad for a title when quite a lot could have been downloads. That being said, it was either it or the time of year for the small "bump" the ps3 got in hardware, either way, the bump should have been more for both
Uh Sony expected 250k retail sales and only 50k downloads, if retail underperformed I don't think the downloads would be big.

test_account said:
A bad game can do damage to a series, look what Tales of the Tempest did to Tales of Innocence. SMS didn't really help SMG either, but sales are picking up now I think due to word of mouth and better advertising.

test_account said:
Seems games have inherited the movie trend of a bad/disappointing installment having a direct effect on the next installment's opening, which usually predicts a product's overall performance.

DMC being awesome meant more people ran out right away and bought DMC2. DMC2 being extremely disappointing meant fewer people ran out right away and bought DMC3.

To put it another way, a bad installment can put a loser stink on a franchise.

theKoopa said:
HERE Wii COME!

the new YOUTUBE vid of Wiigirl about this theads xD

IMPRESSIVE!:lol
Let's see... all of your posts are blatant troll attempts, every single one of your posts is advertising your "product", and your latest video even has Oi-Oi's Magic Made-up Numbers in it.

I give you a long future here on GAF, Wii Girl.

nli10

My take on the Wii & PSP sales models

Wii has two audiences - you and your mom:

You buy lots of core games, and the odd casual title
Your mom buys Wii Play, Wii Sports and eventually Wii Fit and maybe another game nearer Xmas/NY

This means that core games sell well for a short while, and the casual games sell medium for a long time. Some titles sit in between (MarioG).

PSP also has two audiences - you and your friend who likes gadgets

You buy a few core games and Pirate the casual ones (I DO NOT CONDONE PIRACY YOU SCUM BAG THEIVES)
Your gadget loving compadre buys around 1 to 2 games a year - the bigger titles and usually as Xmas gifts and plays pirated movies on it the rest of the time.

This means big sales for landmark titles and the other games get the crumbs yet hardware continues to sell as a high status product.

Just my take...

Pureauthor said:
I'm sorry? ethelred's contention has been that the Wii has thus far proven itself to be a massive shithole for everyone but Nintendo themselves, and this week's chart does absolutely nothing but reinforce what he says as being correct.

Yup. All the "SMG crow" stuff is silly because the whole argument at SMG launch was "Hey guys, this really makes it look like the Wii platform base is composed purely of Blue Ocean types, with very few core gamers in the mix." What the next few weeks have shown is that Nintendo can successfully boost their own core titles by hitching them to "non-game" successes, but in that time we've had four hyuuuge third-party bombs on the system -- and not even never-had-a-chance bombs like Z&W. This does nothing to disprove the actual heart of the "maybe Wii isn't doing so hot at moving software" point.

I want the Wii to be a software-selling machine, but I'm not going to crown it as one until the evidence is in. When something does badly (SMG launch, those recent 3rd party bombs) it's a point towards a bad trend, and when something does well (Biohazard) it's a point in the other direction.

Deku said:
What's being suggested is a very high rate of piracy (in excess of 70%) which I find hard to believe.

Er.... why? It's less expensive to pirate on the PSP than on any other system (no purchase required, except the larger memory card you probably already own to watch movies on....), it's pretty easy to learn to do (there are books freely on sale in Japan explaining how to hack your PSP), and the game library is appealing to people who are likely to be into piracy (young, reasonably hardcore gamers.)

It's also got the best "gateway drug" of piracy on almost any system; while playing pirated games is usually a pain in the ass (I'm thinking of the shenanigans needed on many home consoles), on the PSP the piracy-enabling custom firmware + UMD rips actually makes the system drastically more convenient than using the legit functionality. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there are a lot of people who change the FW to fix the horrific load times and to carry more games at once, and then start pirating some software just because it's now easy.

All the non-gaming features it has are definitely a factor as well (and probably increasingly so as the system's price drops); either one alone probably would have hurt the system's tie ratio, and together they put it in the fairly lousy position we see today.

Opus Angelorum said:
Consider me informed then, I find that surprising.

There isn't much between the two,

Minna Golf 4 : 1.083.079
GT4 : 1.066.749

And for GT4 Prologue: 747.692

But then GT3: 1.438.743

http://www.japan-gamecharts.com/ps2.php

I wonder if GT4 prologue took away sales from the full retail game, given the drop from GT3 to GT4. Maybe a lot of people felt there was enough content within prologue to satisfy them, especially given the price.

swerve

jgwhiteus said:
I actually think this "Anyone Can Mario" campaign sounds a bit more "casual"-oriented than their first SMG campaign. The 15 and 30-second Japanese TV adverts we saw earlier were all gameplay footage of Mario flying through Toy Galaxy and Melty Molten Galaxy, etc. - very traditional game commercials, and they were apparently shown fairly frequently on TV.

This new campaign sounds like it's trying to draw people in who might be intimidated by a 3D Mario and want the familiarity of the 2D NSMB - e.g. DS gamers - and the very title of "Anyone Can Mario" emphasizes how 3D Marios aren't just for the "hardcore", but can be played by casuals as well.

Yeah, this is spot-on. The new campaign (currently it seems only running on the Wii channel, not on the website or tv) shows 'Jump on DS' (DS de, Jump!) followed by 'Jump on Wii' (Wii de, Jump!) and then the same DS -> Wii -> DS -> Wii pattern for 'swim', 'kill goomba', and 'throw fire'.

It's 100% aimed at the 3.5 million people who bought NSMB but didn't buy Galaxy.

dr_rus

GT5P is actually quite good considering its price and current number of PS3s sold. And PS3 will sell good this week.
Wii Fit is a beast, and it's pulling SMG, Sports and Play up too (which is good for SMG and all of us poor gamers).
PSP is a strange machine, wonder what's Sony going to do with it next...

Pellham

Banned
Spike said:
WTF?!?! How can the PSP be selling so much, yet have only one title in the top 30?

Perhaps the Japanese have caught on to what their asian and western brethren have been doing (hint: custom firmware)

test_account

XP-39C²
BishopLamont said:
A bad game can do damage to a series, look what Tales of the Tempest did to Tales of Innocence. SMS didn't really help SMG either, but sales are picking up now I think due to word of mouth and better advertising.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Seems games have inherited the movie trend of a bad/disappointing installment having a direct effect on the next installment's opening, which usually predicts a product's overall performance.

DMC being awesome meant more people ran out right away and bought DMC2. DMC2 being extremely disappointing meant fewer people ran out right away and bought DMC3.

To put it another way, a bad installment can put a loser stink on a franchise.

Ah ok, like that. Ye true that. I have hardly tried DMC (any of them) though, so i dont know if DMC 2 sucked or not :) How was it with DMC 3 though? Much better?

gconsole

test_account said:
Ah ok, like that. Ye true that. I have hardly tried DMC (any of them) though, so i dont know if DMC 2 sucked or not :) How was it with DMC 3 though? Much better?

Compare to 2. Absolutely YES. Imagine the game that people praise as one of the best in its genre.

Such a shame that DMC2 almost kill the series.

Grecco

So now weve moved on to "Nintendo core games sell on Wii" from the "Only non games sell on the Wii". Cool good to know.

Culex

Banned
Grecco said:
So now weve moved on to "Nintendo core games sell on Wii" from the "Only non games sell on the Wii". Cool good to know.

Glad to see you can play with the fanboy logic ;)

gconsole

Phife Dawg said:
Going by Moor-Angol's site (Famitsu):

Musou 4: 917.985
DMC3: 281.025

Musou had a bundle as well. And a new model and a price cut shortly before and the oncoming shopping season.

People shouldn't be expecting too much from DMC and the bundle.

Was this even released in Japan?

DMC is not that strong but not that weak neither. It's not a normal series that sell only 100k. The hardcore action game for japanese market that sale 500k. You should imagine how its fanbase would be.

ziran

Whatever the reasons for PSP's low sw sales, Sony has created a very successful device, which is impressive, it's just unsuccessful as a gaming handheld for bought sw.

As for Wii 3rd party sales, I think the potential on Wii isn't going to be conclusive until a major exclusive is released on the system, i.e. something that isn't a port, spin-off or new in a saturated genre, like MH3.

Many 3rd parties have backed themselves into a corner with their current strategy and given their unwillingness to change in the way Nintendo has or even adapt like Level 5, big success will only come with exclusive main entries in big name franchises. Still, I expect most of these to sell less than they did on PS2 because the market has changed. However, imo, sooner or later these developers will be forced to change and throw major resources behind new kinds of games on Wii, with some successfully combining the old with the new and even pleasing the hardcore.

As jarrod pointed out in the last thread, it took PS1 a while to establish itself as the system of choice for 3rd parties, I don't see why it's going to be any quicker for Wii.

In the meantime, sure, it's going to be a brutal for 3rd parties on home systems in Japan. But hey, at least Nintendo's keeping consumer interest in it, because let's face it, home consoles would be well and truly fucked without them!

Agent Icebeezy said:
Nintendo moved that much hardware? Geez
This makes me think something. DS might not set a new record best week, but now that there's a strong Wii as well perhaps we'll see a new record for most systems sold by a single manufacturer. Last year on the week of December 18, Media Create had GCN+Wii+GBA+GBASP+GBM+DS+DSL at 770,800, which is the highest I know of. The week before (which would be the equivalent to this week) it was at 432,655, which it looks like this year will miss slightly.
Cheesemeister said:
You're totally misreading the demographic. No day-one spikes, very long legs.
Right. Less "1 gazliion day 1" and more "1 a day for 1 gazliion days".
Oblivion said:
So what, we got two more supposedly big weeks?
Depends what you mean by "big". The next three should still be near a peak, and mid-late January is probably when things go back to normal.
BishopLamont said:
Then why would games like CCVII and MHP sell on the PSP if they can just pirate it?
Maybe it's the biggest games that can attract a large percentage of the multimedia/homebrew/non-pirate crowd? Or even part of the pirate crowd wants a physical copy of some big games from big series? I for one use the PSP mostly for homebrew, but will probably get Crisis Core.
Defuser said:
Only 1 third party game :|
Current number of third party games in DS Top 10: 0. Making an arbitrary "Top X" list is irrelevant.
charlequin said:
What the next few weeks have shown is that Nintendo can successfully boost their own core titles by hitching them to December.
Fixed.
jgwhiteus said:
This new campaign sounds like it's trying to draw people in who might be intimidated by a 3D Mario and want the familiarity of the 2D NSMB - e.g. DS gamers - and the very title of "Anyone Can Mario" emphasizes how 3D Marios aren't just for the "hardcore", but can be played by casuals as well.
I wonder. SMG has quite a range. There are 2D play areas that feel very familiar and oldschool, but getting used to spherical planets and controlling Mario while upside down was even a bit intimidating for a 3D Mario veteran like me. Almost as much as playing SM64 was at first.

iidesuyo said:
What were hardware sales last year in week 50?
1.) Nintendo DS Lite - 319,708
2.) Nintendo Wii - 108,237
3.) PlayStation 3 - 70,942
4.) PlayStation Portable - 48,962
5.) PlayStation 2 - 37,730
6.) Xbox 360 - 17,168
7.) Game Boy Advance SP - 1,867
8.) Game Boy micro - 1,491
9.) GameCube - 1,152
10.) Nintendo DS - 158
11.) Game Boy Advance - 42
12.) Xbox - 3

JoshuaJSlone said:
This makes me think something. DS might not set a new record best week, but now that there's a strong Wii as well perhaps we'll see a new record for most systems sold by a single manufacturer. Last year on the week of December 18, Media Create had GCN+Wii+GBA+GBASP+GBM+DS+DSL at 770,800, which is the highest I know of. The week before (which would be the equivalent to this week) it was at 432,655, which it looks like this year will miss slightly.

Nintendo probably will beat total hardware sales this year, but I don't think DS will set a new weekly record. There's no shortage and so far it's been tracking less then last year these past few weeks.

test_account

XP-39C²
gconsole said:
Compare to 2. Absolutely YES. Imagine the game that people praise as one of the best in its genre.

Such a shame that DMC2 almost kill the series.

Ok, hope for Sony's and Capcom's sake that the serie gains abit of interest this time :)

ziran said:
As jarrod pointed out in the last thread, it took PS1 a while to establish itself as the system of choice for 3rd parties, I don't see why it's going to be any quicker for Wii.

Afaik PS1 was not popular in the begining. Didnt it only sell 1 million consoles the first year world wide or something? Wii is mega popular, probly the most popular console ever (atleast within the 1st year).

BishopLamont said:
12.) Xbox - 3

Out of ~120 million people, 3 people bought an Xbox for x-mas, damn.. hehe. Most likely discontunied almost everywhere though, but still :)

felipeko said:
So, same path as DS?
What's next move?

"Only 3rd party non-games sell on Wii"

then

"Only Capcom, Square, and Konami sell on Wii" (though this one has already happened with Capcom and "of course RE sells on Wii".)

Refresh my memory, someone - was there ever a period in which the DS was receiving 3rd party franchises and having them tank like crazy?

test_account said:
Ok, hope for Sony's and Capcom's sake that the serie gains abit of interest this time :)

I think the time to be cautiously optimistic of PS3 franchises selling big should be over. Like Sony with November NPD, (and GT5P) we should be watching to see if Sony surpasses lowered expectations.

basically less wishing, more forecasting.

test_account

XP-39C²
DeaconKnowledge said:
I think the time to be cautiously optimistic of PS3 franchises selling big should be over. Like Sony with November NPD, (and GT5P) we should be watching to see if Sony surpasses lowered expectations.

basically less wishing, more forecasting.

I'm not saying it would exceed DMC3's LTD, i said 100k myself in an earlier post here, but i still hope for Sony's and Capcom's sake that some interest are gained.

test_account said:
DMC3 cast Raise on the franchise. Nobody would be caring about DMC4 if DMC3 had been as bad as DMC2, I can tell you that much. :)

Deku

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
"Only 3rd party non-games sell on Wii"

then

"Only Capcom, Square, and Konami sell on Wii" (though this one has already happened with Capcom and "of course RE sells on Wii".)

If you're a third party right now and want an expected return on your investment that is not negative, you want to put your game on the DS or PS2.

Top Bottom