• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/10 - 12/16 2007

Lightning

Banned
king zell said:
BOX40GB_bk3.jpg

BOX40GB_wh3.jpg

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1212662_1124.html
Very fucking nice and Japan better fucking buy.

ShmarthurShmooner said:
ouch @ gt5p. and double ouch @ 53k ps3s.
Explain?

I don't quite understand how the GT5P sales are bad...

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
ShmarthurShmooner said:
ouch @ gt5p. and double ouch @ 53k ps3s.

I am actually quite impressed on what basically is a glorified demo do we know what previous prologues did?

On the Ps3 sales not bad but It should be higher this time of year oh well more games are needed! Maybe that Devil May Cry bundle will help.

Elbrain said:
I am actually quite impressed on what basically is a glorified demo do we know what previous prologues did?

On the Ps3 sales not bad but It should be higher this time of year oh well more games are needed! Maybe that Devil May Cry bundle will help.

How much did the demo cost? BD version

Busaiku

perfectchaos007 said:
GT5 was mainly downloaded I would imagine. 53k PS3's is not so good at this time of year.
I wouldn't think it was mainly downloaded. Sony's expectations for the PSN version were only 1/5 that of the disc. I'd imagine they'd base it on previously tracked figures of other games.

Stage On

Tales of Innocence bombed :( I just hope that it's poor sales in Japan dosn't discourage a north american release. Maybe they'll be more willing to bring it over here in an effort to recoup costs since if they market it to the Symphoina crowd over here it could do quite well.

Wow it's crazy to see Mario Galaxy move up the charts so much. I guess it's got some good legs after all and I really hope this keeps up if for no other reason then Nintendo see's that you don't have to be Wii something to do good sales.

And Dragon Quest 4 contiunes to do well for itself. Super impressive sales considering it's the second remake of the game. I'm sure it'd do ok in North america since we haven't had a proper jrpg for the ds in a while. With the right timing and marketing it take off.

Cheesemeister said:
You're totally misreading the demographic. No day-one spikes, very long legs.
That markets pretty much like "Oh hey, there's that game Kimi and Shinji told us about." "Lets pick that up in a few weeks."

A lot different then the FTW! group.

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
BrodiemanTTR said:
Tales of Innocence. :(

The numbers are a bit deceiving in my opinion. I don't have that much to go by, but at the bic camera in fukuoka, ToI was completely sold out, which means that there is a definite likelihood of rampant shortages everywhere.

Also, wii fit had PLENTY in stock when I checked it out. I think nintendo is trying to stockpile it for the inevitable New Years rush. Expect this game(?) to hit 1 mil in a hurry.

edit:

this is soooo mine. Jan 31st, hello ps3!

Nintendo, as usual during end of the year, dominates the top chart.

Nice to see some games have strong legs and came back in the chart: Mario Party 8, Wario Ware Wii and Taiko DS.

I'm worried about PSP hw & sw sales... hw sales are totally impressive, but sw sells like a crap. Piracy will kill PSP games? How many developers will invest money to a platform which has no sells despite a huge userbase ??

Deku

Banned
Moor-Angol said:
Nintendo, as usual during end of the year, dominates the top chart.

Nice to see some games have strong legs and came back in the chart: Mario Party 8, Wario Ware Wii and Taiko DS.

I'm worried about PSP hw & sw sales... hw sales are totally impressive, but sw sells like a crap. Piracy will kill PSP games? How many developers will invest money to a platform which has no sells despite a huge userbase ??

You sure its piracy or is it just an easy explanation? Even if piracy differential between the DS *which has a substantial pirate scene of its own* and PSP is say 200% or even 300% of that found on the DS, it still cannot account for the software performance. Some PSP games have done well.

What's being suggested is a very high rate of piracy (in excess of 70%) which I find hard to believe.

swerve

Mario sales are likely just down to the holiday, but there might be other factors at play;

Nintendo have started a 'Anyone can mario' campaign, it seems, showing the similarities between the 2D (DS) version and the 3D (Wii) version. Showing right now on the 'Everyone's Nintendo' channel alongside a weather forecaster playing Mario Galaxy for the first time.

BTW, 'Everyone's Nintendo' channel rocks. It's updated more than once a week currently, with TV quality streaming interviews, new videos, and new DS demos (card hero last week). Really impressive that they've gone from limited online involvement to video-on-demand (albeit marketing) broadcaster in a year.

Zzoram

Deku said:
You sure its piracy or is it just an easy explanation? Even if piracy differential between the DS *which has a substantial pirate scene of its own* and PSP is say 200% or even 300% of that found on the DS, it still cannot account for the software performance. Some PSP games have done well.

What's being suggested is a very high rate of piracy (in excess of 70%) which I find hard to believe.

Maybe like the PS3, people who buy the PSP don't buy games (with the exception of the games that occasionally chart) and are using it for media only?

sphinx

the piano man
BOX40GB_bk3.jpg

I LOVE bundles and this one looks gorgeous.

man, since the beginning the PS3 package has been fantastic, I love the box with the handle and the design, everything. It feels like you are buying the newest, most cutting edge gadget there is, something godly.

DKJB79

natureman3 said:
i just hope they release the DMC4 ps3 bundle here in Europe.

300 euros with devil may cry 4 + DS3 + white + games price drop from 60-70 to 50-60 euros + some great games for end 2008 + br discs film 20 euros avg = mine :D

maybe mid 2008 or end 2008.

Waiting...

Yoboman

DKJB79 said:
300 euros with devil may cry 4 + DS3 + white + games price drop from 60-70 to 50-60 euros + some great games for end 2008 + br discs film 20 euros avg = mine :D

maybe mid 2008 or end 2008.

Waiting...
You don't want much, do you?

Pretty much in line with Famitsu.

beerbelly said:
Uncharted debuted at 24 and never showed up again.
Anyone who expected otherwise is pretty retarded.

DiddyBop said:
the internet community does not represent the general public. so while 80% of the internet community might pirate psp games,im sure that the general population just uses it as a general multimedia device. prolly use it to watch their anime on the go in widescreen format and to listen to music. psp seems to be more of a competitor to the ipod than the DS to be honest,both in NA and Japan it seems. even though it doesnt compare to the ipod at all in terms of sales,im just saying that maybe ppl view it in that market and not so much the gaming market. of the 158k the psp sold last week in japan,im sure no more than 5000 of those ppl added custom firmware and downloaded games.

gaming piracy isnt as widespread as music piracy as it is more complex. if gaming piracy was a huge issue,software sales wouldnt continue to break records every year,whereas the music sales continue their downward spiral.
This is annecdotal but the number of people I know that have a PSP recently bumped to 2. A friend of mine got one to use it as a ipod alternative and because you can just download games from the internet and put it on a stick. First console for her and she isn't even a big internet nerd, part of any internet community or anything but apparently she read about it.

Make of it what you will but I think the problem is quite widespread.

Also take MnG's disappointing performance as an example. The first one is amongst the best selling titles for PSP (and one of the biggest franchises for Sony in Japan) yet the second one on a much, much bigger install base only beat first week's numbers by a fairly small amount, showing no signs of strong legs whatsoever. I don't think it can all be attributed to falling interest in the series. But in the end it's all speculation.

itxaka said:
Wiifit numers, i expected more after all the talk here on gaf about the "next big thing".
For all we know it had a very good sell-through percentage. Can't sell more than what you're supplying.

swerve said:
Mario sales are likely just down to the holiday, but there might be other factors at play;

Nintendo have started a 'Anyone can mario' campaign, it seems, showing the similarities between the 2D (DS) version and the 3D (Wii) version. Showing right now on the 'Everyone's Nintendo' channel alongside a weather forecaster playing Mario Galaxy for the first time.

BTW, 'Everyone's Nintendo' channel rocks. It's updated more than once a week currently, with TV quality streaming interviews, new videos, and new DS demos (card hero last week). Really impressive that they've gone from limited online involvement to video-on-demand (albeit marketing) broadcaster in a year.
Man, sounds really good. I hope NoE steps it up and brings this stuff here asap.

Defuser said:
You better fucking buy this Japan!!!!
Judging by Musou and with DMC being a weaker series (in sales), I don't expect this to do awesome numbers. The box does look nice though.

justchris

swerve said:

Finally, I was wondering when Nintendo was going to realize that their current marketing scheme, while great for casual titles, is pretty useless for core titles.

Also, any idea when the Everyone's Nintendo channel is coming outside Japan. I've been keenly interested in that for a while, if for no other reason than DS demos.

cvxfreak

From my recent visits to game stores, it seems there's a general awareness for Galaxy that didn't seem to be around just weeks before. Saw 3 copies get sold yesterday as I went to pre-order SSBB.

There seems to be plenty of Wii systems and Wii Fit boards restocked at stores today too. The Yurakucho Bic has a special counter outside the store for Wii and DS systems and games (the true games section is on B2F). FFIV seems to be selling well too.

The thing that surprises me is that people are surprised at a Wii dominated top 10. Methinks you guys are listening to Ethelred a bit too much.

Also, I would argue that considering the size of the userbase, GT5P did exceptionally well.

DeaconKnowledge said:
The thing that surprises me is that people are surprised at a Wii dominated top 10. Methinks you guys are listening to Ethelred a bit too much.

I'm sorry? ethelred's contention has been that the Wii has thus far proven itself to be a massive shithole for everyone but Nintendo themselves, and this week's chart does absolutely nothing but reinforce what he says as being correct.

Also, I would argue that considering the size of the userbase, GT5P did exceptionally well.

Doing well if you consider XYZ = Not doing well, and XYZ are the reasons

DeaconKnowledge said:

ethelred's concern is about third party Wii performace, as you can see the chart is full of Nintendo for the Wii.

Pureauthor said:
I'm sorry? ethelred's contention has been that the Wii has thus far proven itself to be a massive shithole for everyone but Nintendo themselves, and this week's chart does absolutely nothing but reinforce what he says as being correct.
Yes, but he was also very quick to harp on Galaxy for underperforming due to expectations.

Pureauthor said:
Doing well if you consider XYZ = Not doing well, and XYZ are the reasons

A PS3 userbase being a significant fraction of what the PS2 userbase is. I'm not calling it a breakout hit, but I can't help but take the price, userbase size, and success of GT4 into account here.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Yes, but he was also very quick to harp on Galaxy for underperforming due to expectations.

It was underperforming in comparison to Sunshine. That it grew legs and started doing a whole lot better is a different beast. Or maybe you want find a post from ethelred this week, or last, that rags on SMG's sales?

A PS3 userbase being a significant fraction of what the PS2 userbase is. I'm not calling it a breakout hit, but I can't help but take the price, userbase size, and success of GT4 into account here.

Those are the reasons why GT5P is underperforming, not justification.

Top Bottom