• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/26-01/01 It's Real Bitches

cvxfreak

Taker666 said:
Well 3.5 million seems pretty damn good for Nintendo in the EU considering how badly they usually do( and how little shelf space they have in retailers).

In regards to the US, consumers seem to be acting rather differently.

Everywhere else GBA sales have switched to the DS, while in the US GBA still dominates both PSP and DS. Perhaps the US won't switch from GBA- DS until it hits the magic $99 price point.

I'm wondering what the hell the hold up for the US is myself. What will all the people who buy a GBA this year do when they see the new stuff coming to DS? It's a tricky situation Nintendo better figure out this year.

cvxfreak said:
I'm wondering what the hell the hold up for the US is myself. What will all the people who buy a GBA this year do when they see the new stuff coming to DS? It's a tricky situation Nintendo better figure out this year.

Why is it a tricky situation? Nintendo will drop the DS to $99 this year, and it'll just inherit all the GBA sales on top of the ones it was getting anyway.

Then Nintendo can release a Game Boy Next in say 2007 if they wish.

Andy787

Banned
So are you guys actually interested and excited for these Brain Training games, or are you just gloating because it is good for Nintendo?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
how many million sellers has the DS clocked up so far?

what the HELL is going on? I mean, how many million sellers have we had in the last few years in Japan? I thought it was quite low...

Andy787 said:
So are you guys actually interested and excited for these Brain Training games, or are you just gloating because it is good for Nintendo?

Both. Interested in trying the games, to see if I like them too, and happy for Nintendo. :)

Wow.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
well, i'll be interested to see how the US/Euro versions do.

the first is very entertaining, even if people don't think it's a "game"

the second , at the moment, has Kanji elements, so not sure how that'll work

Kroole

Andy787 said:

First of all I'm really interested to know what's so good about them.

Secondly those BT games increased the DS' market share thus makes it more financially sound to produce games for the DS which also means more games. So yeah, I see them as a positive thing.

This wednesday in Kyoto, at Sofmap :

"Please, i would like to buy Otona2 for DS"

the clerck goes to looking for it... after a while he comes back
"Well... We are very sorry, our last copy was sold just five minutes ago, Otona2 is sold out at the moment, please come back in the next days"

I had to come back home the day after...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Andy787 said:

Just amazed at the performance, would be saying holy shit if whatever product on Sonys system was doing this well. I will buy brain training when it never gets released in Europe.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Andy787 said:

Actually they're some of my most anticipated DS games for the forseeable future, as I'm pretty sure they're games that I know for sure people in my family will love as well. My mom keeps asking me if there're going to be games that she can play after I got her hooked on the DS with Phoenix Wright. :lol :lol

Raw64life

DCharlie said:
how many million sellers has the DS clocked up so far?

what the HELL is going on? I mean, how many million sellers have we had in the last few years in Japan? I thought it was quite low...

Yea I noticed this too. 13 months in and the DS already has three million sellers, (Brain Training, Animal Crossing and Nintendogs), and three more definite future million sellers already released (Mario Kart, Gentle BT and BT2). Not to mention Mario 64 DS and Wario Ware which are both around 900k and Tamagotchi at 750k. By next month they'll have six million sellers in Japan. There weren't nearly as many GBA games selling 900k+ a year into it's lifepsan.

Andy787 said:

I can't wait to pick it up. Well, maybe not for full price. I have to know how much content is in there first.

Also, random question. Does anyone think that the downloadable revolution games will show up in these sales charts?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Zerodoppler said:
Also, random question. Does anyone think that the downloadable revolution games will show up in these sales charts?
The only way we'll know how those games did will be when Nintendo releases a PR.

Farmboy

Andy787 said:

Not that I've been gloating... :) But I've played the not-quite-finished western versions of both, and though it isn't quite my cup of tea I found that they're surprisingly addictive. The 'Junior version' (which I believe will be called Big Brain Academy in the west) is basically a Wario Ware centered around Orbulon-type games. The 'Senior version' (Train Your Brain) is a bit meatier, with better registration of how your results improve as time progresses... which, I can imagine, further increases replayability and addictiveness.

The European version of the latter game will also feature a bonus mode based on a puzzle sensation that's currently sweeping the continent (I may have said too much here... Haven't seen it revealed anywhere else so maybe they're keeping it under wraps for now).

I've also been told that Nintendo will back these games with a marketing push comparable to that of Nintendogs, geared towards the 'non-gamer' crowd. And I think that demographic will love it. It may be the first game since Tetris that I'll actually recommend to my dad. :)

Farmboy said:
The European version of the latter game will also feature a bonus mode based on a puzzle sensation that's currently sweeping the continent (I may have said too much here... Haven't seen it revealed anywhere else so maybe they're keeping it under wraps for now).

No shit Sherlock. :D

Anyway, great news!

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
norinrad21 said:
alright sir, i want you to quote me on this come 2007/8.

The Revolution will be #1 with Sony and MS battling for second place. This is not a prediction and yes as much as you hate to believe it sony will be fighting for their life in Japan and as for the US/EUR you are also in for a rude awakening.

come back in 2007/8

I won't ask anybody to quote me but I agree with you, it defies all logic(like it always has when there's a shift) but there are some interesting parallels between NES, PS and Rev, I think we're in for some major star alignment, but that's as good as fortune telling right now. The logic winner is the PS3 but I wouldn't bet on any console, I do think however that Rev will be a lot bigger than most people think.

Xrenity

Farmboy said:
Sounds like Sudoku :+

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
1. NDS
2. NDS
3. NDS
4. PS2
5. NDS
6. PS2
7. NDS
8. NDS
9. NDS
10.NDS
I'm sure PS2 already had weeks where it topped the 10 first places, but this DS domination chart remains OMFG impressive.

OMG!

DS is sold out, but it's still by far selling more than all the other consoles and handhelds combined. CRAZY, really CRAZY.

Btw. I'm already fascinated how Izzy's comments to these sales will be :D

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
neo2046 said:
DS 390,181
PSP 110,741
PS2 78,646
GBASP 15,998
GC 12,579
Xbox360 12,300
GBM 11,234
GBA 447
Xbox 121

DS 61.7%
PSP 17.5%
PS2 12.4%
GBASP 2.53%
GC 1.99%
Xbox360 1.95%
GBM 1.78%

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I'm sure if you asked Allard how it feels to be beaten by a last generation console in Japan he'd punch you in the fucking face.

I'd like to test those waters.

marc^o^

Considering the DS was out of stock and that it is the Christmas season:
so so PSP performance and disastrous x360 sales, Dead or Alive was not a big factor after all.

ziran

amazing charts!

nearly 400k with shortages, so ds sales could've been higher(?)!

i was initially unsure how viable this new market ds has created would be, but it's clear they are as loyal game buyers as current gamers. nintendogs to ac ww, gentle brain ex and brain training to daredemo asobi taisen and brain training 2. gotta hand it to nintendo, it's proved a great strategy :)

kh2 has seen a huge drop, far more than i expected, i imagined over a million by now.

sudoku!!! wow! if brain training has it included in the euro version it could really help sales. here in the uk it's huge, it's everywhere.

there's a chance of 10 million sellers on ds in 18 months, which is staggering!
mario 64
warioware touched
nintendogs
brain training
gentle brain excercises
tamagotchi
pokemon dungeon blue
mario kart ds
animal crossing
brain training 2

in fact the only one in the list that might not do it is pokemon md blue.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Thanks neo, you rule :) Poor 360 ;(. DS sales are gorgeous. So DS will be > PSP next week too? If you look at shipped numbers for last week and ltd now...

marc^o^

ziran said:
sudoku!!! wow! if brain training has it included in the euro version it could really help sales. here in the uk it's huge, it's everywhere.
There's already a Sudoku game on the PSP in Europe, it's quite good and it sells at a low price. I'm wondering how it performs though, as nobody knows about it.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
mj1108 said:
iwataheaven1bm.jpg

"You will say WOW"

You might want to replace that image with my updated version - extra glow (TM)

iwataheaven29wv.jpg

iwataheaven5pp.jpg

"It shall be done"

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Andy787 said:
I'll answer this. from everything I've heard, I REALLY hope they come out with them over here, though modify them slightly for a more western-centric usage. but the concept most definitely appeals to me.

I am all for new forms of interactive entertainment on systems.. nintendogs, AC, brain training, band grothers, etc. an incredible addition to traditional gaming.

starship

platform / this week / last week / 2005 total / 02 - 05 LTD

DS / 390,181 / 597,628 / 4,151,356 / 5,646,952
PSP / 110,741 / 161,332 / 2,200,610 / 2,682,962
PS2 / 78,646 / 97,475 / 1,968,846 / 11,374,052
GBASP / 15,998 / 35,764 / 696,262 / 5,691,315
GC / 12,579 / 36,646 / 273,180 / 3,156,320
Xbox360 / 12,300 / 5,674 / 70,567 / 70,567
GBM / 11,234 / 19,261 / 415,088 / 415,088
GBA / 447 / 906 / 25,180 / 4,553,558
Xbox / 121 / 141 / 12,016 / 472,451

ziran

in dec (nov 28 - jan 1) ds has sold nearly 1.9 million! (1,872,865)

borghe said:
I'll answer this. from everything I've heard, I REALLY hope they come out with them over here, though modify them slightly for a more western-centric usage. but the concept most definitely appeals to me.

I am all for new forms of interactive entertainment on systems.. nintendogs, AC, brain training, band grothers, etc. an incredible addition to traditional gaming.
i agree. i loved nintendogs and can't wait to play these other new games :)

Acrylamid

Isn't it ironic? </Alanis Morisette>

In 2003, a usual Japanese Software Top Ten looked something like this:
5 PS2 games
4 GBA games (including 2 Pokémon games)
1 GCN game

Sony felt threatened by the GBA and designed the PSP - only to be countered by Nintendo's move to release the DS.
Today, a usual Japanese Software Top Ten looks like this:
2 PS2 games
8 NDS games (including 2 Brain Training games)

Fuzzy

Leonsito said:
Xbox360 sales went up , every else went down!

Xbox360 0wnz Japan !
In fact it more than doubled!

YTD / LTD
DS - 4,151,356 / 5,646,952
PSP - 2,200,710 / 2,682,962
DS Lead - 1,950,646 / 2,963,990

BTW now that we know the final number as of the end of 2005 in Japan we get this.

Japan - 5.6 million (Media Create as of 1/1)
North America - 4 million (NoA PR)
Europe - 3.5 million (NoE PR)
Total - 13.1 (not counting smaller territories)

Fuzzy

ziran said:
in dec (nov 28 - jan 1) ds has sold nearly 1.9 million! (1,872,865)
The PSP sold 546,286 in December, that's less than what the DS sold 12/19-12/25 (597,628).

starship

Fuzzy said:
In fact it more than doubled!

YTD / LTD
DS - 4,151,356 / 5,646,952
PSP - 2,200,710 / 2,682,962
DS Lead - 1,950,646 / 2,963,990

BTW now that we know the final number as of the end of 2005 in Japan we get this.

Japan - 5.6 million (Media Create as of 1/1)
North America - 4 million (NoA PR)
Europe - 3.5 million (NoE PR)
Total - 13.1 (not counting smaller territories)
North America - 4.2 million

Perrin Kaplan, Nintendo of America's vice president for marketing and corporate communications, told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer that more than 3 million DSs were sold in the US in 2005, on top of the 1.2 million sold in just over a month in 2004.

neo2046 said:
DS 390,181
PSP 110,741
PS2 78,646
GBASP 15,998
GC 12,579
Xbox360 12,300
GBM 11,234
GBA 447
Xbox 121

For the love of god! Insane DS numbers. DS worths to be on top but not like this! These sales numbers are humongous.

Top Bottom