• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/3 - 12/9 2007

Culex

Banned
CrisKre said:
BUT, as of right now, those PS3 hw sales for the holiday season on the week of Prologue's release are pretty atrocious, especially when you consider nintendo's console is x3 its sales.

Agreed. There's absolutely no excuse that the PS3 didn't sell even half of what the Wii did, and it didn't even make it to a third. It's had a price drop, new bundle, new color, and a new GT game, AND it's the end-year ramp up for sales.

Quite worrisome, at the very least.

jarrod

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Even if you ignore GT4/GT4p and focus on GT3, the claim of 400k or even 300k or 250k would still be a MASSIVELY high estimation relative to userbase size.
Sure, but smaller bases tend to be more proportionately active and ratio arguments inheretly seem to favor them. A newer, smaller base is obviously going to be a disadvantage when launching a pedigree brand series installment (at least in terms of raw numbers), but these things don't scale linearly either.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
jgwhiteus said:
I bet Capcom (well, most third parties really) doesn't know what to make of the Wii at this moment. They've more than doubled their estimates on RE:4 and are likely to meet their worldwide projections on RE:UC, two "hardcore" games, but can't sell a golf game to the "casuals".

I don't know, maybe too many golf games in too little time, and shoppers don't see a reason to pick up one separate from Wii Sports, especially a new IP? Though I'm sure a new "Mario Golf" would have sold amazingly well even with the exact same gameplay (sucks for Camelot).

It is interesting isn't it? Great news for RE fans like myself.

.dmc

Banned
Jokeropia said:
I knew Galaxy would perform strongly through the holidays. :D Next week and the first week of January should be even better. I hope all the gun jumpers learned a lesson!

Why should gaf change it's habit of making definitive judgements on immediate evidence just because, you know, they're wrong all the time?

sphinx

the piano man
schuelma said:
It is interesting isn't it? Great news for RE fans like myself.

I still have hopes for a RE5 spin-off on Wii that plays like a real RE, be it like the old ones or like 4/5.

Not that I will miss on 5, I bought a 360 for that :D It's just that the more Resident evil stuff, the merrier.

andthebeatgoeson

sphinx said:
I still have hopes for a RE5 spin-off on Wii that plays like a real RE, be it like the old ones or like 4/5.

Not that I will miss on 5, I bought a 360 for that :D It's just that the more Resident evil stuff, the merrier.
The tough question will be if RE5 hits Wii and 360 in relatively short time periods, or even same day. Say they drop down the specs and somehow come up with a port. Decent graphics that don't compare to 360 but are still decent to great but with Waggle and the better aiming solution. What do you do? Buy both? Wii? 360? I would guess that Wii would be my option, even though I have a 360 if the controls are better on Wii. That would be a tough ass decision. But, interesting.

CorwinB

.dmc said:
Why should gaf change it's habit of making definitive judgements on immediate evidence just because, you know, they're wrong all the time?

To be fair, that's a definite improvement on industry analysts who insist on their boneheaded predictions in the face of overwhelming evidence... At least, GAF jumps on conclusions based on actual data.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Stumpokapow said:
The DS has already beaten the PS2 by Famitsu numbers. By MC numbers assuming this week's MC is exactly equal to the Famitsu numbers, it would take one week after this week for the DS to pass the PS2 (it's 410,062 down on the PS2 and wins by 140k this week. It'd still have 260k left to pass the PS2, but it will do it either next week or the week after depending on the size of the sales bump.)
It wins by 240k this week and will definitely surpass PS2 next week.

jgwhiteus said:
I bet Capcom (well, most third parties really) doesn't know what to make of the Wii at this moment. They've more than doubled their estimates on RE:4 and are likely to meet their worldwide projections on RE:UC, two "hardcore" games, but can't sell a golf game to the "casuals".

I don't know, maybe too many golf games in too little time, and shoppers don't see a reason to pick up one separate from Wii Sports, especially a new IP? Though I'm sure a new "Mario Golf" would have sold amazingly well even with the exact same gameplay (sucks for Camelot).

Well, at least it is something we can discute about. I mean: it's not only the routine.
Maybe we should start to think that there are hardcore games that can reach the casual audience too and games that can't. Resident Evil seems follow this trend. For the Camelot Golf game, I would say simply that it has been bad advertised and in addition, it has been recently announced, so nobody knew it was coming out.

EDarkness

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Well, at least it is something we can discute about. I mean: it's not only the routine.
Maybe we should start to think that there are hardcore games that can reach the casual audience too and games that can't. Resident Evil seems follow this trend. For the Camelot Golf game, I would say simply that it has been bad advertised and in addition, it has been recently announced, so nobody knew it was coming out.

I have to agree with one of the other posters who mentioned that there are simply too many golf games out right now. When you consider that two other golf games came out a few weeks ago, I think the market is a little saturated. Not only that, but it's visual style is almost the same as Super Swing Golf 2. The lack of hype and advertising (I haven't seen any real advertisements for it anywhere) just doesn't make a recipe for success. Capcom and other game companies really need to announce games earlier to build up some hype and a little media buzz.

sphinx

the piano man
skinnyrattler said:
The tough question will be if RE5 hits Wii and 360 in relatively short time periods, or even same day. Say they drop down the specs and somehow come up with a port. Decent graphics that don't compare to 360 but are still decent to great but with Waggle and the better aiming solution. What do you do? Buy both? Wii? 360? I would guess that Wii would be my option, even though I have a 360 if the controls are better on Wii. That would be a tough ass decision. But, interesting.

I seriously hope this does NOT happen.

I want 2 gorgeous and AAA * resident evil games that take advantage of their respective consoles, not 1 half-assed game with loads of stuff compromissed because it was made with 2 incredibly different consoles in mind.

In case that happens, I'd wait for reviews or opinions but almost surely positive I'd get it on 360. Outside of pointing in the screen where I want to shoot and shaking the wiimote for silly context sensitive actions, I am not sure what could the Wii offer me more than the 360.

* not UC

Stumpokapow said:
Here's that period of the PS2 and November-now of the PS3--note that the leaked hardware numbers aren't on this graph BTW.
Actually, they are. Since they've proven reliable, starting last week I began putting them up for better close-enough graphing. They get replaced when the more specific version is made public.
EDarkness said:
I have to agree with one of the other posters who mentioned that there are simply too many golf games out right now. When you consider that two other golf games came out a few weeks ago, I think the market is a little saturated. Not only that, but it's visual style is almost the same as Super Swing Golf 2.
Heh. Even if they ate sales from each other, a theoretical game that got the sales of both is still doing pretty shitty.

.dmc

Banned
EDarkness said:
I have to agree with one of the other posters who mentioned that there are simply too many golf games out right now. When you consider that two other golf games came out a few weeks ago, I think the market is a little saturated. Not only that, but it's visual style is almost the same as Super Swing Golf 2.

Perhaps the problem is that both Pangya + WLG both obviously style themselves after Minna no Golf? The Japanese are notoriously cold to imitation products right?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
sp0rsk said:
By the way, Nintendo has redoubled its Mario Galaxy advertising efforts.

Seems like it was just a rocky start for Mario, thing's seem to be truckin' now.

"Let's-a gooooo!"

Top Bottom