• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/31 - 1/6 2008

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jarrod said:
Nope, VF2 is still SEGA's best seller ever in Japan. VF1 should be in 3rd place (around 900k iirc).

Interesting. I thought Love and Berry was partially notable because it was the first Japanese million seller from SEGA. What did VF2 end up sitting at?

jarrod

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Interesting. I thought Love and Berry was partially notable because it was the first Japanese million seller from SEGA. What did VF2 end up sitting at?
Tracking outlets vary obviously, but about 1.5m iirc. So for SEGA's top 3, it'd be...

-Virtua Fighter 2 (SS) ~1.500.000
-Oshare Majo Love & Berry Collection (DS) ~1.000.000
-Virtua Fighter (SS) ~900.000

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jarrod said:
Tracking outlets vary obviously, but about 1.5m iirc. So for SEGA's top 3, it'd be...

-Virtua Fighter 2 (SS) ~1.500.000
-Oshare Majo Love & Berry Collection (DS) ~1.000.000
-Virtua Fighter (SS) ~900.000

Very interesting. Was VF2 a pack-in at some point? I have a recollection of a VF1 launch bundle locally but I'm not sure if that was a retailer bundle or SEGA's doing.

jarrod

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Very interesting. Was VF2 a pack-in at some point? I have a recollection of a VF1 launch bundle locally but I'm not sure if that was a retailer bundle or SEGA's doing.
Nope, neither VF1 or VF2 were bundled in Japan iirc. Both saw US bundles though (VF1 was only sold bundled here actually).

VF was basically what sold the Saturn in 1994/1995 and why it was so successful in Japan.

liuelson

Stumpokapow said:
I think, too, there's still two camps in sales-age; those who are interested in numbers (whether or not they also have their own console preferences), and those are interested ONLY in seeing through a console war agenda. The latter group is by definition incapable of positive analysis and will see things only in terms of "Agrees with what I think ought to happen" and "Disagrees with what I think ought to happen" and the way that the discourse flows in the forum format, if a Console Warrior accuses a Numbers Guy of being a Console Warrior, other Numbers Guys might begin to treat that Numbers Guy as being a Console Warrior, which causes a shift in the overall perception of the original analysis that sparked the argument.

In some ways, NeoGAF reminds me of the genetic algorithms used to model stock markets or climate change. The algorithms that prove to be more accurate over time will survive, just as the NeoGAF members whose analyses and predictions prove to be more accurate will gain in credibility. You don't need to worry about your credibility here. :D

I think we've probably eeked out most of the useful discussion we can have on this issue, or at least I'm starting to get exhausted :D What's your academic background out of curiosity? I've seen your posts on adoption rate curves so I'm assuming it's either econ or business with an econ/math focus?

I responded via PM. Get some rest - I'm looking forward to your insights next week. :D

hiryu

creamsugar said:
Famitsu

DSL 103000
PSP 84000
PS2 15000
PS3 34000
Wii 82000
360 5500

1.Wii Fit 93000(1005000)
2.Mario Party DS 52000(1493000)
3.Wii Sports 41000(2633000)
4.Wii Play 26000(2120000)
5.Layton 2 23000(697000)
6.FF4 20000(547000)
7.MHP2 20000(1551000)
8.Mario Sonic 20000(457000)
9.Mario Kart DS 19000(2783000)
10.Rune Factory 2 18000(74000)

How long if ever till we start seeing the PSP outselling the DS? I imagine Nintendo has a new system design ready to go once that starts happening. I must say that Sony has done an excellent job at giving new life to the PSP hardware. Now if only the software sales would match the hardware the battle could get very interesting.

Xisiqomelir

Stumpokapow said:
If you want to take all the PS2's first year games, all the Wii's first year games, control for market size, control for game quality using either your personal heuristic or an aggregate of press reviews (I concede that the former is more likely given the lack of Japanese press review score aggregators that I am aware of), then do a multivariate regression on all the data and give me a graph, I'd be happy to accept that graph as a statistically valid determination of whether or not the claim that Wii third-party games are selling less than PS2 third-party games year one relative to their profile.

I'd be happy to do this if someone gave me the data. We shut down production at work today because of a problem with the bottling machinery, so it's going to be slow going since I also forgot to bring my DS.

Parl

hiryu said:
How long if ever till we start seeing the PSP outselling the DS? I imagine Nintendo has a new system design ready to go once that starts happening. I must say that Sony has done an excellent job at giving new life to the PSP hardware. Now if only the software sales would match the hardware the battle could get very interesting.

I guess Nintendo could give DS its first price drop since.... well, ever.

Or more new Touch Generation software that isn't aimed at the Brain Training crowd (at least exclusively).

Or a new model would surfice.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
hiryu said:

I doubt Nintendo will really worry about the DS being outsold by the PSP in hardware if it ever happens, since they're making an absolute killing on the software.

I mean honestly, when they have Animal Crossing: Wild World, Mario Kart DS, the Brain Trainings, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl and New Super Mario Bros. STILL selling adequate numbers 1-2 years after their initial release dates, they're in no rush to push out a new hardware revision.

Which reminds me, when was the last new DS Lite colour released?

Spiegel

hiryu said:
Now if only the software sales would match the hardware the battle could get very interesting.

How can the software sales match the hardware if there are a few new releases?

I think, the software (now) isn't doing that bad

Star Ocean did ok
Haruhi did ok
Monster Hunter 2 awesome
Only recently (i think) Patapon bombed.

Mrbob

I think it is time for me to raise my PSP hardware prediction in Japan.

At the beginning of last year I thought about 10 million LTD would be what the PSP hits.

Now I'm thinking it will do GBA numbers, around 16 to 17 million overall. I'll take the middle and say 16.5 million. I still might be shortchanging the system too depending on how long Sony keeps the PSP pumping. With hardware sales starting to get stronger and stronger for the portable, I wouldn't expect another PSP for perhaps 3 years. Now sony will start making big money on hardware alone. It would be amazing if 50 million combined pieces of portable hardware is sold this generation in Japan alone.

Looking at the PSP uptake, I think we'll see a PS3 uptake somewhere in the future too. I'm upping my PS3 prediction now too from 10-12 million LTD to 16-20 million, depending on how big of a factor blu ray becomes.

DS I got around 32-35 million and Wii 20-24 million.

I think Wada will get what he wants, but the sony systems just are off to a slower start due to price.

MHP2 is a beast for the PSP.

jarrod

Banned
Spiegel said:
How can the software sales match the hardware if there are a few new releases?

I think, the software (now) isn't doing that bad

Star Ocean did ok
Haruhi did ok
Monster Hunter 2 awesome
Only recently (i think) Patapon bombed.
Mingol P2 was pretty dissapotining, even if it didn't tank. Crisis Core and MGS PortOps+ did really well, ditto for Dracula X all things considered. Silent Hill, GTA VCS and the Disgaea expanded rerelease all tanked recently though iirc.

ethelred

jarrod said:
Mingol P2 was pretty dissapotining, even if it didn't tank. Crisis Core and MGS PortOps+ did really well, ditto for Dracula X all things considered. Silent Hill, GTA VCS and the Disgaea expanded rerelease all tanked recently though iirc.

Disgaea did more than fine.

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
I think it is time for me to raise my PSP hardware prediction in Japan.

At the beginning of last year I thought about 10 million LTD would be what the PSP hits.

Now I'm thinking it will do GBA numbers, around 16 to 17 million overall. I'll take the middle and say 16.5 million. I still might be shortchanging the system too depending on how long Sony keeps the PSP pumping. With hardware sales starting to get stronger and stronger for the portable, I wouldn't expect another PSP for perhaps 3 years. Now sony will start making big money on hardware alone. It would be amazing if 50 million combined pieces of portable hardware is sold this generation in Japan alone.

Looking at the PSP uptake, I think we'll see a PS3 uptake somewhere in the future too. I'm upping my PS3 prediction now too from 10-12 million LTD to 16-20 million, depending on how big of a factor blu ray becomes.

I think Wada will get what he wants, but the sony systems just are off to a slower start due to price.

The only way PSP even approaches GBA figures is if it gets another rerelease down the line... maybe a PSPhone? Otherwise, it's tracking waaay too far behind GBA to catch up (and the slim's tracking behind SP even iirc), though it obviously won't have to worry about it's successor looming quite as close. Then again, another late PSP model release might just tank like GB micro did. :/

I bet we get 2-3m in total sales this year, around 12-14m lifetime. For other console lifetimes this gen, I'd bet on 32-35m DS, 16-18m Wii, 6-8m PS3, 1-1.5m 360 (srsly!).

ethelred said:
Disgaea did more than fine.
Not the initial release, the multiplayer relrelease.

BTW how well is Rune Factory 2 selling versus the first?

The numbers look good to me, for a sub-series, but I want to know if it's doing better or worse than the first.

jarrod

Banned
Magicpaint said:

The numbers look good to me, for a sub-series, but I want to know if it's doing better or worse than the first.
Rune Factory 2 dropped the Bokujou Monogotori subtitle btw, it's just Rune Factory now (hence it's own series).

I think it's started off better than RF1, but total sales are still well below the first.

jarrod said:
Rune Factory 2 dropped the Bokujou Monogotori subtitle btw, it's just Rune Factory now (hence it's own series).

I think it's started off better than RF1, but total sales are still well below the first.
What did the first one total at? Up to 200k?

ethelred

jarrod said:
Not the initial release, the multiplayer relrelease.

Right. And it's doing more than fine. It's a rerelease of the same port, just with the added North American chapter.

Magicpaint said:

Code:
Name:		Sys:	1st Week:	2nd Week:	3rd Week:	Total:
Rune Factory	NDS  	39,973  	18,415  	10,208  	125,445
Rune Factory 2	NDS	56,000		18,000		--,---		74,000

jarrod said:
160k or 180k iirc... not sure offhand, I'd have to look it up.
Hmmm, then I reckon this will struggle to match that. :/

I'm not sure if making Rune Factory its own series is a great idea tbh, because I can only see things going down from here.

ethelred said:
Code:
Name:		Sys:	1st Week:	2nd Week:	3rd Week:	Total:
Rune Factory	NDS  	39,973  	18,415  	10,208  	125,445
Rune Factory 2	NDS	56,000		18,000		--,---		74,000
Thanks. Ok, I take back what I said. This will likely outperform the original which is great.

Neo C.

Stumpokapow said:
It also sucks, because a lot of the posters here, even the very very very smart and knowledgeable ones, don't have a good background in statistics.
I had a few courses in statistics, I just forgot lots of the stuff. :p

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
Right. And it's doing more than fine. It's a rerelease of the same port, just with the added North American chapter.
It also had expanded multiplayer options I thought? If PO+ can come close to 50% of PO figures, why can't this? It's not like Disgaga Portable even moved much (~50k iirc), yet the expanded, budget rerelease never even charted iirc. :/

How about some "more than fine" figures? I can't seem to find them?

ethelred

jarrod said:
It also had expanded multiplayer options I thought? If PO+ can come close to 50% of PO figures, why can't this? It's not like Disgaga Portable even moved much (~50k iirc), yet the expanded, budget rerelease never even charted iirc. :/

If you can't find any figures, maybe you shouldn't be going on about how poorly it did, eh?

Disgaea Portable sold 21k in its first week for a total of 38k LTD. The rerelease sold 17k in its first week. It didn't chart in its second week but I think it's safe to say that it certainly sold at least 50% of the original, which meets your qualifications.

Also, you really need to reign in these "iircs," because you aren't recalling so well! That's twice in the span of two posts.

creamsugar said:
Thx. Pretty impressive WiiFit numbers and all those DS games still refuse to die. Good to see SMG and UC still hanging around. UC could end up with 300k+ sold when all is said and done - pretty remarkable for what it is and considering RE4 did 450k on PS2.

jarrod said:

Shinobi said the first shipment was almost completely sold out in its first week. I don't see how that can be considered "tanked". You just can't expect too much from this.

By the way, Shinobi has quoted an interesting survey conducted by SCE regarding PSP Slim.

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/

Motives for buying PSP Slim

1:65%:Thin, light and small
2:39%:Design and colors
3:38%:Music, movies and other multimedia features
4:27%:Interesting softwares
5:21%:1Seg Tuner
6:19%:It's Sony!
7:14%:Price
8:13%:TV output

Percentage of buyers based on PSP colors (male/female)

black:82%/18%
white:83%/17%
silver:86%/14%
blue:80%/20%
purple:74%/26%
pink:50%/50%

The percentage of female buyers of old fat PSP is just 13%, so there is a significant increase in the case of PSP Slim.

linsivvi

creamsugar said:
Famitsu
8.Mario Sonic 20000(457000)

DS version is due in a week. Wonder how it's gonna do if they can pull ~500K for the Wii (holiday helps though). Million seller possible?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Mrbob said:

I don't think you can translate the PSP's uptake onto the PS3 because it wasn't out of the strength as a gaming platform but becaus of the media functionality auf PSP. So I think PS3 isn't set to have a similiar resurrection - as long as blu-ray doesn't become a major selling point. [Ignoring the fact that all of this is just anecdotal evidence and you can't derive PS3's sales number out of PSP's at all]

spwolf

Yoshi said:
I don't think you can translate the PSP's uptake onto the PS3 because it wasn't out of the strength as a gaming platform but becaus of the media functionality auf PSP. So I think PS3 isn't set to have a similiar resurrection - as long as blu-ray doesn't become a major selling point. [Ignoring the fact that all of this is just anecdotal evidence and you can't derive PS3's sales number out of PSP's at all]

so PS3 needs to be resurrected? right.

As to the PSP... it is worth it just for freaking GPS thing, let alone media+games+skype.

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
If you can't find any figures, maybe you shouldn't be going on about how poorly it did, eh?

Disgaea Portable sold 21k in its first week for a total of 38k LTD. The rerelease sold 17k in its first week. It didn't chart in its second week but I think it's safe to say that it certainly sold at least 50% of the original, which meets your qualifications.
Well, thanks for the figures. Guess it did basically do what PO+ managed, which is pretty respectable considering.

ethelred said:
Also, you really need to reign in these "iircs," because you aren't recalling so well! That's twice in the span of two posts.
And thanks for the embittered parting shot too. Never change ethel! :lol

spwolf said:
As to the PSP... it is worth it just for freaking GPS thing, let alone media+games+skype.

Wait, S$280 for a 'freaking GPS thing' is worth it? Do you use dollar notes as tissue paper of something?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
linsivvi said:
DS version is due in a week. Wonder how it's gonna do if they can pull ~500K for the Wii (holiday helps though). Million seller possible?

Well, SEGA's announced prediction was 4 million worldwide with both SKUs combined. Split that in two since they never specified which they expected to sell more (clearly the Wii is the lead, but the DS has the install base). That's 2 million worldwide for each. Split that in three territories, and you'll get 600-700k per SKU per territory. Now, realistically Europe and NA will be doing more than 33% each of the total sales, but the game only needs to make it to 650k to do as well as SEGA expected. 600k is a no brainer in my opinion, so in the end SEGA's prediction might end up coming true.

I'm not sure that the DS game will do quite as well in Japan.

ethelred

spwolf said:

Well, technically, resurrection only works on something that died and needs to be brought back to life. You can't resurrect a machine that was stillborn.

jarrod said:
And thanks for the embittered parting shot too. Never change ethel! :lol

Welcome!

Stumpokapow said:
I'm not sure that the DS game will do quite as well in Japan.

Who knows? We could very well see a Mario Party 8 / Mario Party DS situation play out with it, too.

dyls

RE:UC's continued success is really surprising to me. I figured there would be tons of used copies available within a few weeks, completely killing any legs the title might have. Just goes to show the collector nature of RE fans, I guess.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jarrod said:
Could go either way imo... I'm still shocked at how Mario Party DS is performing. :lol

I genuinely believe MPDS is continuing to do well because of positive word of mouth. It's the best Mario Party ever made, so for casual fans of the series who don't buy every installment, this is a must buy. Plus, four player download play on a single card. Very appealing.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
AnimeTheme said:
Shinobi said the first shipment was almost completely sold out in its first week. I don't see how that can be considered "tanked". You just can't expect too much from this.

By the way, Shinobi has quoted an interesting survey conducted by SCE regarding PSP Slim.

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/

Motives for buying PSP Slim

1:65%:Thin, light and small
2:39%:Design and colors
3:38%:Music, movies and other multimedia features
4:27%:Interesting softwares
5:21%:1Seg Tuner
6:19%:It's Sony!
7:14%:Price
8:13%:TV output

The percentage of female buyers of old fat PSP is just 13%, so there is a significant increase in the case of PSP Slim.

Uh, no games as a reason on that list? Or is that what they mean by interesting software line up?

I can't read that site for squat.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
spwolf said:
I don't know if you are happy with PS3 sales, if you are you may read it as "increase sales as much as PSP did". From my point of view PS3 is underperforming much so I call it resurrection but if your standard for main PlayStations is this low, there you go...

jarrod

Banned
Pureauthor said:
BTW, I think the newest set of numbers just confirmed that FFIV is not going to reach FFIII.
I just hope it's enough to get Matrix remade FFV & FFVI DS greenlit.

I wonder if it'll outsell FFIII over here?

sphinx

the piano man
Pureauthor said:
BTW, I think the newest set of numbers just confirmed that FFIV is not going to reach FFIII.

That might be true.

but I expect FFIV to have stealth legs which will bring the game to a solid 650k - 750k LTD by the end of 2008.

test_account

XP-39C²
spindoc said:
Uh, no games as a reason on that list? Or is that what they mean by interesting software line up?

I can't read that site for squat.

I assume it includes games as well, since games is also software. However, it can also means the reasons why to buy a PSP Slim if you already have a normal PSP. PSP Slim have double the amount of RAM so software like Skype will only work with PSP slim due to this.

ksamedi

Given the Wada statements these past days about milking Final Fantasy (or any hit franchise for that matter) I think its pretty safe to asume FF Vr and FF IVr will make it to the DS. I even expect some PS3 remakes as well.

jarrod

Banned
ksamedi said:
Given the Wada statements these past days about milking Final Fantasy (or any hit franchise for that matter) I think its pretty safe to asume FF Vr and FF IVr will make it to the DS. I even expect some PS3 remakes as well.
Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition HD and Final Fantasty II Anniversay Edition HD for PSN! Only $19.99 each! :lol

Mrbob

jarrod said:
Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition HD and Final Fantasty II Anniversay Edition HD for PSN! Only $19.99 each! :lol

Bah. :/

What makes this funny is those price points are probably true.

They should be 5 dollars each on PSN.

If SE were smart they would release a FF game on PSN a month leading up to the final release of FF13.

Lightning

Banned
ksamedi said:
I would love to see Dragon Quest VII on PSN. Make it happen Wada!!!

Pureauthor said:

Yeah. I had no good reason to whatsoever, but I was hoping for a number in the ~40k region to show that sales were still continuing at some halfway decent pace. 20k means the game is almost done and will probably crap out at 600k. :(

Top Bottom