• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 13 Feb ~ 19 Feb

animal crosssing is really dragging along. wow.

good sales for monster hunter. i just watched the trailer for it. it looks like an action game in the trailer on IGN but it seems like it wouldn't be as popular as it is unless there was something else about it.

what's that game like? anyone played it?

Heh, id forgotten about this chart. The low DS hardware sales have been a downer.

Im shocked at Monster Hunter. Will it be another Kingdom Hearts 2 though?

IE: 12,000 next week.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The reason why we don't list Famitsu numbers is because:

1. It confuses people who don't read.
2. We get Media Create numbers sooner.
3. It's in the rules that go by Media Create numbers when we get them.

soundwave05 said:
I dunno about 3 mill for Animal Crossing ... it's gotta slow down at some point ... right? Heh.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I would agree with that if the DS Lite weren't coming at the beginning of March, but since it is, I expect it to pass 3 million. I think it has the potential of outselling DQVIII. Don't quote me on that.

cvxfreak

A Link to the Past said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I would agree with that if the DS Lite weren't coming at the beginning of March, but since it is, I expect it to pass 3 million. I think it has the potential of outselling DQVIII. Don't quote me on that.

...no.

If I'm wrong, well, good for Nintendo. :p

I think it can do it worldwide.

cvxfreak said:
...no.

If I'm wrong, well, good for Nintendo. :p

I think it can do it worldwide.

You can't comment on it. Did you expect it to break 2 million? Nope. I'm saying this on the basis that ACWW will likely stay on the charts for a very long time.

cvxfreak

A Link to the Past said:
You can't comment on it. Did you expect it to break 2 million? Nope. I'm saying this on the basis that ACWW will likely stay on the charts for a very long time.

After about three or four weeks, I did. :p

cvxfreak said:
After about three or four weeks, I did. :p

When it sells more in its third week than in its launch week by a significant amount, that's not a very risky estimate. :)

You still have to admit that ACWW has the potential to beat DQVIII in Japan alone.

cvxfreak

A Link to the Past said:
When it sells more in its third week than in its launch week by a significant amount, that's not a very risky estimate. :)

You still have to admit that ACWW has the potential to beat DQVIII in Japan alone.

I highly, highly doubt it. DQ8's sold 3.58 Million. So AC has 1.68 million to go.

I guess it's not impossible, but still, fat chance if you ask me.

And I'm including a little note here for those in a year who quote me if ACWW > DQ8: not afraid to be wrong. :p

Striek

A Link to the Past said:
Nope.

ACs sales curve has been pretty dramatic but it would be a minor miracle if it nearly doubles what its done to date.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Striek said:
Nope.

ACs sales curve has been pretty dramatic but it would be a minor miracle if it nearly doubles what its done to date.

That "Miracle" is called the Ds Lite

cvxfreak

Dengeki numbers:

Monster Hunter 2 (Dos): 313,000
Monster Hunter Portable: 27,000 / 473,000
Monster Hunter 1: launched 119,000 / 282,000 total
Monster Hunter G: launched 121,000 / 234,000 total

More Brain Training: 71,000 / 1,335,000
English Training: 52,000 / 475,000
Animal Crossing WW: 53,000 / 1,931,000

Bleach PS2: 41,000

Striek said:
Nope.

Yeah, but you're assuming that it's going to sell around the same - sales are going to be big for this game in March, and in the following months, it'll definitely come close or break the 3 million.

I think people are underestimating ACWW - I'm betting no one would've thought that Brain Training would be in the top ten MC sales. DS games have amazing legs.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
A Link to the Past said:
Yeah, but you're assuming that it's going to sell around the same - sales are going to be big for this game in March, and in the following months, it'll definitely come close or break the 3 million.

I think people are underestimating ACWW - I'm betting no one would've thought that Brain Training would be in the top ten MC sales. DS games have amazing legs.

Not to mention "Easter" coming up in April :p

Striek

A Link to the Past said:
Yeah, but you're assuming that it's going to sell around the same
No I wasn't.

A Link to the Past said:
sales are going to be big for this game in March, and in the following months, it'll definitely come close or break the 3 million.
It'll come close, and I believe it'll etiher finish closely under or over. Probably under.

A Link to the Past said:
I think people are underestimating ACWW
I think you're simultaneously overestimating DS-L impact and underestimating the impact of newer software (DS or otherwise).

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Striek said:
I think you're simultaneously overestimating DS-L impact and underestimating the impact of newer software (DS or otherwise).
Well he did say the same thing last week. Though if anybody doubts that Gundam won't be in the top 5, they are just kidding them-selves.

jj984jj said:
Well he did say the same thing last week. Though if anybody doubts that Gundam won't be in the top 5, they are just kidding them-selves.

I took that back. I assumed that it was a PSP Gundam for whatever reason. I said it would make it after you told me that it was a PS2 game.

Doogdogg

AC will reach 2 million by the time DSL hits. The impact of DSL will shoot it to about 100-200k for the week, bringing it to around 2.10-2.20 million. This probably the last sale spike it'd be getting. Then slowly dwindled down less than 100k each week, and probably sells 5-10% less of last weeks for each passing week. Thats some long ass legs. In the end AC will probably be around 2.75 million.

Dark Dragon said:
AC will reach 2 million by the time DSL hits. The impact of DSL will shoot it to about 100-200k for the week, bringing it to around 2.10-2.20 million. This probably the last sale spike it'd be getting. Then slowly dwindled down less than 100k each week, and probably sells 5-10% less of last weeks for each passing week. Thats some long ass legs. In the end AC will probably be around 2.75 million.

And then, DS Fat comes out.

Dont forget the traditional July 4 sales spike.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Leonsito said:
Famitsu: NDS 2k ?
20K.

EDIT: Here are all of the HW numbers from that Famitsu chart for the week ending February 5th.

h-121_48823_060303hard.jpg.jpg

cvxfreak

Fuzzy said:
20K.

EDIT: Here are all of the HW numbers from that Famitsu chart for the week ending February 5th.

h-121_48823_060303hard.jpg.jpg

So Famitsu: 20K
Media Create: 10K
Dengeki: 5.2K

(for that week, NOT THIS WEEK)

:lol

I wonder if these research firms actually consult each other once in awhile. I'm sure Famitsu embarassed Media Create when they released considerably higher Xbox360 launch figures, and Dengeki got owned with Kingdom Hearts II. Famitsu really ought to fix that Shin Onimusha number, too.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
cvxfreak said:
So Famitsu: 20K
Media Create: 10K
Dengeki: 5.2K

(for that week, NOT THIS WEEK)

:lol

I wonder if these research firms actually consult each other once in awhile. I'm sure Famitsu embarassed Media Create when they released considerably higher Xbox360 launch figures, and Dengeki got owned with Kingdom Hearts II. Famitsu really ought to fix that Shin Onimusha number, too.
MC was 25,321 for the week of this Famitsu chart. Famitsu is TWO weeks behind MC, not one.

Jonnyram

It's pretty hard to get accurate scales going when the supply is so ropey. Just trust the researcher with the biggest sample size.

cvxfreak

Fuzzy said:
MC was 25,321 for the week of this Famitsu chart. Famitsu is TWO weeks behind MC, not one.

Oh snap, nevermind. I forgot that they fall a week behind on Wednesdays and then catch up on Thursday (catch-up = 1 week behind). Guess we'll know the true Famitsu tale tomorrow.

Jonnyram said:
It's pretty hard to get accurate scales going when the supply is so ropey. Just trust the researcher with the biggest sample size.

True. I think the sample sizes overall are fairly similar though. I think the retailers they exclusvely cover (if it works that way) is far more important. If a theoretical competitor of the NPD managed to secure tracking with Toys R Us, then more than likely their Nintendo sales would be way higher than the NPDs.

But then again, the point does stand, Nintendo trusts Media Create, so so should we. :p

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Good work Monster Hunter. Now bring this over here Capcom (anyone have impressions yet? DCharlie i'm looking at you).

not you too? I'm getting this from Jonnyram every day too! ;)

I promise to play it tonight , PROMISE. As long as i'm not in work to Xmillion o'clock...

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
DCharlie said:
not you too? I'm getting this from Jonnyram every day too! ;)

I promise to play it tonight , PROMISE. As long as i'm not in work to Xmillion o'clock...
Can you provide new gun and bow n' arrow weapon impressions? :D

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
cvxfreak said:
If a theoretical competitor of the NPD managed to secure tracking with Toys R Us, then more than likely their Nintendo sales would be way higher than the NPDs.

I asked this before but didn't get a response, but is TRU Nintendo's biggest customer in the U.S?

ioi

Banned
A Link to the Past said:

Well I've made the comparison a number of times, but the closest game to Animal Crossing in terms of past performance is the last Nintendo game (non Pokemon) to do 3m, Donkey Kong Country back in 94.

Aside from a better start for DKC which gave it a 300k lead, the pattern of sales is virtually identical. So if AC follows DKC for the remainder of its life then 2.7m is a definite.

Check the numbers here: http://everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japcomp.php?name1=Animal+Crossing%3A+Wild+World&name2=Donkey+Kong+Country

If you take into account that
1) DS lite will give a massive boost in March
2) No Animal Crossing 2 is coming out this Nov to cut away sales
3) Animal Crossing is closing the 300k gap every week, DKC drops below 20k by early April whereas I can see AC staying higher than that for quite a while.

Then you could see AC actually passing 3m quite easily...

ioi

Banned
Jonnyram said:
I have never seen anyone pimp their own site as much as ioi. Not even KyotoMecca.

Cheers Jonny, s'pose you still take issue with the validity of the numbers?

neo2046 said:
http://eg.nttpub.co.jp/rank/total_rank.html

01 PS2 Monster Hunter 2 - 362,173 / 362,173
02 NDS Brain Age 2 - 64,856 / 1,278,458
03 NDS DS English Training - 52,481 / 476,695
04 NDS Animal Crossing WW - 50,808 / 1,900,871
05 PS2 Bleach RPG - 41,480 / 41,480
06 NDS Brain Age - 33,194 / 1,554,037
07 PSP Monster Hunter Portable - 27,823 / 495,003
08 NDS Mario Kart DS - 15,832 / 1,114,304
09 PS2 Siren 2 - 12,911 / 62,691
10 PS2 Winning Eleven 9 Bonus Pack - 12,087 / 67,786

11 NDS Eyeshield 21 DS
12 NDS Right Brain Master! Machigai Museum (Namco)
13 PS2 Shin Onimusha DAWN OF DREAMS
14 NDS Big Brain Academy
15 PS2 Tourist Trophy
16 NDS Tamagotchi DS
17 PS2 Final Fantasy 7 -DoC-
18 PS2 Nobnaga's Ambition
19 NGC Super Mario Strikers
20 NDS Daredemo Asobi Taizen DS

21 NDS Mario & Luigi RPG 2
22 NDS Bleach DS
23 PS2 SIREN (PlayStation 2 the Best)
24 NDS Pokemon Fushgi no Dungeon DS
25 PS2 Ar Tonelico
26 PSP Brain Trainer Portable (Sega)
27 GBA Pokemon Fushgi no Dungeon
28 PS2 Dance Dance Revolution STRIKE
29 GBA Famicom Mini - Super Mario Bros.
30 NDS Slime Morimori Dragon Quest 2

Wow @ Super Mario Strikes, Daredemo Asobi Taizen, Famicom Mini SMB, and Slime mormori... Still in the top 30 O_O

bud

DS: 52,099 (403,901)
PSP: 27,430 (337,682)
PS2: 23,433 (241,273)
GBASP: 5553 (57,890)
GBM: 2941 (35,529)
GC: 1814 (32,392)
Xbox 360: 1314 (23,971)
GBA: 105 (1584)
Xbox: 92 (762)

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.