• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 13 Feb ~ 19 Feb

March is going to be big for Animal Crossing. I bet loads of people will be picking up AC with their shiny new DS lite if they don't already have it and it's being released in Europe on the 21st with a huge marketing campaign and I think it's being released in some other countries. I think it could do 3m by the end of year.

Frankfurter said:
DS:

LTD: 6,050,854
YTD 2006: 403,902
YTD 2005: 328,042

PSP:

LTD: 3.020.645
YTD 2006: 337.683
YTD 2005: 400.669

Kinda shows how the DS wasn't doing so hot early into 2005. Not only is PSP's 2006 performance better, the DS which has suffered shortages so far is also doing quite a bit better than in '05.

I wonder if DS could outdo 2005 as a whole though, certainly possible, but will the christmas be nearly as big?

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Bud said:
DS: 52,099 (403,901)
PSP: 27,430 (337,682)
PS2: 23,433 (241,273)
GBASP: 5553 (57,890)
GBM: 2941 (35,529)
GC: 1814 (32,392)
Xbox 360: 1314 (23,971)
GBA: 105 (1584)
Xbox: 92 (762)
LOL, they actually got 52k DS in jp? Thats going to be some mighty ownage come the 2nd week of March.

In case it hasn't been mentioned, there is a Brain Training article in the WSJ today. Anyone that doubts that this game won't sell a million copies in the US over two months is fooling themselves imho.

olubode said:
In case it hasn't been mentioned, there is a Brain Training article in the WSJ today. Anyone that doubts that this game won't sell a million copies in the US over two months is fooling themselves imho.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll pick one up later today.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Netrunner2k2 said:
Thanks for the heads up, I'll pick one up later today.

If there is no online version of the article would you mind posting a little summary here? thanks

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
MrSardonic said:
If there is no online version of the article would you mind posting a little summary here? thanks
There is an online version but you have to register with wsj.com

Basically its a no frills article about brain training, how to play it and a bit of the local celebrity status of Dr. Kawashima and his research in Japan. It also talks about Nintendo going along a different route than it's competitors and with the Revolution.

milanbaros said:
Nope, you were just wrong.

Oh, so the PSP's 06 performance so far isn't better than the DS' 05 performance?

DS:

PSP:

:|

That's what I was referring to.

Bud said:
DS: 52,099 (403,901)
PSP: 27,430 (337,682)
PS2: 23,433 (241,273)
GBASP: 5553 (57,890)
GBM: 2941 (35,529)
GC: 1814 (32,392)
Xbox 360: 1314 (23,971)
GBA: 105 (1584)
Xbox: 92 (762)

GBA > Xbox

GC > Xbox 360

DS > all

I did not expect such high DS sales, I was thinking 30,000. Best shortage ever.

Magicpaint said:
Oh, so the PSP's 06 performance so far isn't better than the DS' 05 performance?

DS:

PSP:

:|

That's what I was referring to.

I understood what you were saying as son as I read your post. Misinterpretations are annoying, aren't they?

Can someone give more detail on the WSJ article?

Monorojo

Banned
DS is really a monster in Japan.

Really tho, all PSP has to do is stay at the 20-25k mark for the rest of the year and try to get improved software sales (3rd party has much potential looking at MH), lets pray 2006 software for PSP will be better than 2005 in Japan.

The way US is looking it will take the lead there by March or April, now all they have to do is sustain a decent fanbase is the much smaller and less-important japan and Sony will be in great shape for PSP2. Europe is still up in the air.

Acrylamid

gcx0607.png

dsr0607.png

nsm0607.png

Monorojo said:
DS is really a monster in Japan.

Really tho, all PSP has to do is stay at the 20-25k mark for the rest of the year and try to get improved software sales (3rd party has much potential looking at MH), lets pray 2006 software for PSP will be better than 2005 in Japan.

The way US is looking it will take the lead there by March or April, now all they have to do is sustain a decent fanbase is the much smaller and less-important japan and Sony will be in great shape for PSP2. Europe is still up in the air.

1. The problem is that the people buying the PSP most often are looking for its multimedia contents.

2. A March with Tetris and Metroid, I would hardly say that they'd take the lead in that month.

3. The only reason people say that Japan is less important is because it's not advantageous for their favored system.

4. Europe is NOT up in the air. I don't see any logic in saying that Europe could go one way or the other. Well, it could, but there's no indication that it will - the DS has a massive lead there.

5. Overall, the DS is leading by 150k in NA, >1 million in Europe and >3 million in Japan.

AdmiralViscen said:
I understood what you were saying as son as I read your post. Misinterpretations are annoying, aren't they?

I see what you did there. :p

A Link to the Past said:
1. The problem is that the people buying the PSP most often are looking for its multimedia contents.

But software sales and tie-in ratios for the PSP are higher than for the DS in NA.

DCharlie said:
not you too? I'm getting this from Jonnyram every day too! ;)

I promise to play it tonight , PROMISE. As long as i'm not in work to Xmillion o'clock...
Thanks for that. I can only hope its as good as its looking.

snatches

I can definitely see ACWW topping or coming very close to DQVIII. Let's face it, the DS is set to double it's current installed base in Japan this year, easy. Why wouldn't these people want to jump on the AC train as well? Sales of this title have been outstanding even with a giant h/w shortage and it will still be the title to have until May when the ATOMIC BOMB hits with New SMB.

If there are at least 6 million DS' to be sold in Japan this year....why wouldn't 1/4 of these people want AC? It's a cultural phenomenon and connects DS users with their friends all over Japan.

ACWW will top DQVIII by the end of this year. Quote me on it. I'll bet a one week ban on my account.

Where's Dragon Quest VIII total sales at? I remember DQVII doing about 4 million, but I lost track of the PS2 game's performance, anyone know?

Dark Dragon said:
It sold 3.48 million.

Ah thanks, slighty lower than I expected, but it'll still take some serious consistency from Animal Crossing to outdo it. But so far AC has been just that, consistent, even with shortages.

Floyd

Still knocks me on my ass realizing what DS has become in Japan. DS Lite will take it into fantasy land.

To think back in January 2005 when PsP outsold DS for the first time i arrogantly stated DS would never out sell PsP ever again. God im worthless.

Furoba

Floyd said:
Still knocks me on my ass realizing what DS has become in Japan. DS Lite will take it into fantasy land.

To think back in January 2005 when PsP outsold DS for the first time i arrogantly stated DS would never out sell PsP ever again. God im worthless.

+10 million in Japan at the end of 2006 baby! :D

If Nintendo can avoid shortages from now on that is.

And it would be hilarious if Xbox 360 would turn into a larger flop that the original Xbox in Japan. Actually, I really wonder how long Microsoft will be prepared to invest in 360 titles targetted (min or less specifically) at the Japanese market, if they don't improve 360 sales at all (which I suppose will be the case).

I wonder what kind of numbers Mario can put up? Seeing as though we haven't had a new one in what seems like a liftime, there's nothing we can go on really. Will it be similar to MK or will it take off like AC? I'm betting 1.5m by the end of the year, but honestly it could end up anywhere.

Oblivion said:
Graycias, amigo. So where does Toys R Us stand in all this?
In the UK, Toys R Us is not counted and was responsible for total DS UK sales being reported 200,000 units lower then they should have been.

Monorojo

Banned
1. Like already mentioned, PSP has a higher attach rate and more total software sold than DS in the US, so the whole "omg multimedia functions only" crap is wrong anywhere outside of Japan.

2. Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Nintendogs, all couldnt stop PSP from outselling DS in the US, Tetris (a 20 year old game) and Metroid Prime Hunters (Metroid games dont sell that spectucalarly on handhelds anyway, and the sequel to metroid prime sold about half what the original did) likely wont either.

3. No, people say Japan is less important becuz its true. Japanese market just isnt not NEARLY as stable as the US market, look at GBA (selling <50k a month) and PS2 (selling 100k~ a month) compared to how they are doing in the US (GBA 200k~ last month and PS2 was around 260k~). In the long run, US sales sustain themselves and dont fall off a cliff like in Japan. Also if you look at 2005, GBA+PSP+DS in US > GBA+PSP+DS in Japan (IIRC). Dont even get me started on console side of things.

4. Of course EU is up in the air, last time we got any type of numbers was December 05' and then you were comparing 4 months for PSP vs. 9-10 months for DS. ITs completely insane to think PSP should be any closer than 1 million~ right now...also saying its over in EU is alot like back in June when PSP was behind 1 million~ in US and people said PSP never had a chance to comeback...fast forward to today and look at that, lead is only 150k and PSP is cutting into the lead every month now.

Anyway, this topic is about media create and Japan, where there is no doubt DS is completely dominating and seeing unmatched success. Lets ignore the rest of the world and just talk about Japan right now, sorry for even bringing it up really.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Magicpaint said:
Kinda shows how the DS wasn't doing so hot early into 2005. Not only is PSP's 2006 performance better, the DS which has suffered shortages so far is also doing quite a bit better than in '05.

I wonder if DS could outdo 2005 as a whole though, certainly possible, but will the christmas be nearly as big?
What? DS sales in 2006 will easily surpass 2005 ones.
My prediction:
DS sales in 2006 ~ 6.5 million units :D

Monorojo said:
Also if you look at 2005, GBA+PSP+DS in US > GBA+PSP+DS in Japan (IIRC). Dont even get me started on console side of things.

And if you look at wikipedia you will notice US has more people than Japan, you think this could mean something ? :D

As far as 2., DS outsold PSP in October and November, and was only a little bit less than PSP in December, so I don't know why you're claiming that MKDS and Nintendogs didn't do shit for it. GBA continued to outsell both, btw. DS' lower price will also be more of a benefit in the spring months than in the blowout holiday months. I don't see why DS can't outsell PSP in March, and I really don't know why you're predicting some kind of big PSP push. Sales will probably stay around where they are.

kia said:
What? DS sales in 2006 will easily surpass 2005 ones.
My prediction:
DS sales in 2006 ~ 6.5 million units :D

I'm not so sure, the christmas for DS in 05 was unbelievable, can DS match that again?

Well, there is the benefit of the DSlite launch, forgot to take that into the equation... hmmm.

Monorojo

Banned
Well of course, thats why im so baffled when people think Japanese market> Us market. Just look at the population for god sakes to see how wrong they are.

Anyway, its around the same ratio of home console owners in both countries, PS2+GCN+Xbox in Japan around 25-26 million~, population of Japan around 127 million so 1:5. PS2(30-35 million~)+GCN(11-13 million~)+Xbox(14-16 million~)in US is around 55-65 million,around 300 million americans so 1:5 ratio here as well.

Dont really know aobut Europe but im damn sure its alot lower.

Top Bottom