• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/11 - 2/17

AnimeTheme said:
No. I am living in Hong Kong, so I don't exactly know the situation of their TV or in-store ad campaigns, but Japanese game magazines and related info are easily accessible here in Hong Kong, and the Wiis that are sold here are exactly the Japanese version. Miyamoto of Nintendo said in a Famitsu magazine interview that WE Playmaker is one of his most anticipated Wii games. This game is also heavily advertised in the Wii Nintendo channel. You can see from various ways that this is no "normal" 3rd party Wii game that usually got overshadowed by the first party games.
Ah OK.

I don't live in Japan so I wouldn't know about these things but for me TV ads are the best way to see if a game has a big ad budget or not. Depending on the ad and the placement you can guess if they spent a lot of money or not. Vinnk said it got decent in-store advertisement so I wonder if there are any TV spots. Since the game already sold to the existing PES userbase the only way to get new gamers in would be via TV ads imo.

What's the advertising like on the MyNintendo channel? I know they had a lot of stuff for WiiFit. Comparable in any sense? How are third party games represented there in general?

swerve said:
impressions
Thanks, sounds good.

WE Wii will sell at least 100k its first week: It's a big, quality franchise; being heavily advertised; and initial impressions indicate that it corresponds with the Wii controls brilliantly.

Anyone else notice that Capcom has had big sales hits on all platforms except the DS this gen?

D.Lo

NintendosBooger said:
WE Wii will sell at least 100k its first week: It's a big, quality franchise; being heavily advertised; and initial impressions indicate that it corresponds with the Wii controls brilliantly.
While it's not too little, it is too late.

NintendosBooger said:
Anyone else notice that Capcom has had big sales hits on all platforms except the DS this gen?
Ace Attorneys, Star Forces.

ethelred

NintendosBooger said:
WE Wii will sell at least 100k its first week: It's a big, quality franchise; being heavily advertised; and initial impressions indicate that it corresponds better with the Wii controls brilliantly.

I can't wait to see it not meet that benchmark.

NintendosBooger said:
Anyone notice that Capcom has made hits on all platforms except the DS this gen?

It hasn't?
Code:
Megaman Star Force			593,675
Apollo Justice, Ace Attorney		515,417
Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney		315,966
MegaMan Star Force 2			250,497
Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney 3		170,826
Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney 2		164,484

taconinja

NintendosBooger said:

Um. Isn't Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney their game? (Or is that not a hit? I'm not a sales guy.)

Edit: Heh. Way beaten.

ethelred said:
I can't wait to see it not meet that benchmark.

It hasn't?
Code:
Megaman Star Force			593,675
Apollo Justice, Ace Attorney		515,417
Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney		315,966
MegaMan Star Force 2			250,497
Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney 3		170,826
Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney 2		164,484

I should have said in relation to other hits on different platforms. Do they have a million seller on the DS?

fernoca said:
Is not that surprising though...
Galaxy already outsold Sunshine in Japan too..
So, Brawl outselling Melee was expected..

And worldwide, the story is the same..
-Galaxy is at 3 months, what Sunshine did in 60 months (5.5 million)
-Twilight Princess was at 12 months, what Wind Waker did in 45 months (4.5 million)*
-Prime 3 is at 4 months, what Prime 2 did in 35 months (1.2 million)

*Wii Twilight/version number only, combined with the GCN version; Twilight is at around 6 million copies.

I like what you say about Corruption.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
No much discussion this week, so maybe we could discuss about this week releases, isn't it a little too packed?

360 BioShock
NDS Bokujou Monogatari: Kira Kira Taiyou to Nakama Tachi
PS3 Burnout Paradise
360 Burnout Paradise
NDS Hisshou Pachinko*Pachi-Slot Kouryaku Series DS Vol. 1: Shinseiki Evangelion
PS3 Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
PSP Musou Orochi
PS2 NiGHTS into Dreams
NDS Populous DS
NDS Sekaiju no Meikyuu 2: Shoou no Seihai
WII Winning Eleven Play Maker 2008

The two bolded are interesting.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Crushed said:
Wait, why wouldn't PES Wii sell well? I'm confused.
Proper sports games and nintendo just never go well together. Generally the people who play pro evo, fifa etc are too 'cool' to buy a nintendo console.

samratty

Crushed said:
Off-season; football games traditionally aren't released at this time of the year, which is coming toward the end of the football season in most countries (especially the countries that 'matter')

D.Lo

Crushed said:
Late is the main reason.

On a platform with no franchise history its like a new brand. It has to be a system seller for PS2 WE fans who want to try it.

Also, old players turned off by new control scheme, new players (particularly casuals) turned off by complicated control scheme.

Konami finally did something right on the Wii development wise (assuming it is as good as the hype and videos suggest), but they have done it in an extremely hard to market way.

Luckyman

Banned
NintendosBooger said:

Right.. it has to outsell PSP ver.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Crushed said:

- It's coming out 3 months after the other console versions

-The control scheme looks extremely complicated and unlikely to appeal to the traditional PES audience

Spiegel

samratty said:
Off-season; football games traditionally aren't released at this time of the year, which is coming toward the end of the football season in most countries (especially the countries that 'matter')

PSP version sold well off season and people here told me that psp games don't sell :)

samratty said:

I'm an American football fan, and, while I don't buy Madden games any more for other reasons, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a new Madden in spring. We're one month removed from the Super Bowl and I miss NFL games already. I'll take almost anything to tide me over until regular season. :lol

Not really into football, but might pick WE up tomorrow, need something to 'feed' my Wii... and maybe this is something I can get behind :D

samratty

NintendosBooger said:
I'm an American football fan, and, while I don't buy Madden games any more for other reasons, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a new Madden in spring. We're one month removed from the Super Bowl and I miss NFL games already. I'll take almost anything to tide me over until regular season. :lol
I'm the same with sports games (infact I don't care when it's released, I'd get it when I want to play it), but I think people associate FIFA/PES with near the beginning of the season. There's a reason all 08 games are actually released in 07, etc.

Lots of my friends, the kind whom buy every version of PES or FIFA (which ever is thier prefered incremental update poison), definitely associate the games with early season releases.

I don't know if you know but is Madden for Wii anygood or should I stick to PS2 for now till I get a 360?

RJT

Threi said:
The better question is why are people looking forward to PES Wii not selling well as if it's a good thing?
Dude, there are people who think no sex before marriage is a good thing.

fresquito

schuelma said:
-The control scheme looks extremely complicated and unlikely to appeal to the traditional PES audience
Wait, how the control scheme looks any more complicated than the old PES? We're talking about a game that uses the two sticks, 8 buttons on a regular basis and combinations of them in many cases. Not to talk about double tapping and the like.

samratty said:
I don't know if you know but is Madden for Wii anygood or should I stick to PS2 for now till I get a 360?

I can't say. I haven't purchased a new Madden game since 2001. I figure I just update the roster every year, save money.

felipeko

fresquito said:
Wait, how the control scheme looks any more complicated than the old PES? We're talking about a game that uses the two sticks, 8 buttons on a regular basis and combinations of them in many cases. Not to talk about double tapping and the like.
We've been playing this way in the last 10 years... I think we're too used to it by now...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Threi said:
The better question is why are people looking forward to PES Wii not selling well as if it's a good thing?

ethel doesn't give a fuck about football games, so he doesn't think it's a good or a bad thing if it bombs. What he's looking forward to is not the game bombing, but that other posters who predict incorrectly and don't listen to sound arguments get their comeuppance.

Arde5643

fresquito said:
In this case I'd have to agree with schuelma, as much as the so-called elite hardcores like to talk about gameplay evolution and the complexity of PES, they actually prefer as little change as possible.

When they talk of changes, they usually care more for nerfing/balancing the roster than actually changing how the game is played.

Laguna

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
ethel doesn't give a fuck about football games, so he doesn't think it's a good or a bad thing if it bombs. What he's looking forward to is not the game bombing, but that other posters who predict incorrectly and don't listen to sound arguments get their comeuppance.

Why are you playing devils advocate? Are you really that close to that person?

fresquito

felipeko said:
We've been playing this way in the last 10 years... I think we're too used to it by now...
It's not like it was easy in the first place. So the argument is irrelevant. If the game delivers on its promises, there will be plenty of reasons to get used to the new control method. Just like there have been plenty of reasons to learn the really complicated controls of PES for the last ten years.

Edit: I'll add that as much as you like to think about a hardcore unified PES-supporting entinty, there're plenty of PES fans (like me) that like it because until now has been the best soccer game, but won't even hesitate to jump ships if we see a better soccer game.

In the end that's the very reason almost every PES fan argues when talking about FIFA and other soccer games.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
NintendosBooger said:
I should have said in relation to other hits on different platforms. Do they have a million seller on the DS?

Its not like Capcom is really throw anything truly big at the DS. The GBA holdovers of MM and BN, especially when MM failed on PSP, and AA which until 4 were GBA remakes and unexpected got great sales. I really think Capcom can do alot better

Laguna

Banned
The biggest reasons for WEwiis likely bombing were already listed. Another reason is that Konami missed last gen the boat to establish their series on Nintendo consoles (fans) now they will pay this gen for that with bad sales for its first entries. Releasing this game off-season and after 3 other versions won´t help sales either. Capcom on the other hand made a good job with REs multiplatform strategy last gen and have been rewarded with two millionsellers on Wii.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Stumpokapow said:

Oh I'm pretty sure ethel will make remarks about Wii 3rd party support if/when it bombs.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Laguna said:
Why are you playing devils advocate? Are you really that close to that person?

No (I've only in my life met one other GAFfer, we met unrelated to GAF, I rarely use IRC, and I don't use instant messaging; I wouldn't consider myself "close" to any GAFfer), but I've been reading these threads long enough to know that there are a large portion of people who don't do their homework and don't listen to reason, and after a long time of trying to convince some of these people, I eventually give up and let history do the convincing.

I'm not the type to say "lol juniah!!! ur a nub!!!" but to some extent, posters who have been here for many years and been consistently good or at the very least coherent posters should not need to repeatedly explain themselves every week for the benefit of a new audience who could easily read through a person's post history and learn what it is they think.

You know how every few months some good poster like donny or Joshua gets accused of some sort of agenda by a random who has never posted in a sales thread before? That's sort of what's happening here, to a lower degree.

I don't want any game to bomb, but you can guarantee that if someone popped into this thread and started yelling "THE TIDE IS TURNING! FFXIII LAUNCHES IN SEPTEMBER!!! 1 MILLION PS3S WEEK ONE!!!" that I'd take utter delight in the crashing of cognitive dissonance that would occur when that poster's reality did not pan out.

Ideally GAF would be filled with quality sales discussion and reasoned, data-backed, higher-level analysis, and no one would have to be snarky or ascerbic because every poster could respect each other... but that's not the case and so eventually people who do want that sort of discussion are going to become pretty cynical when it comes to educating newer posters.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Threi said:
Wait so i'm a newer poster now? Who never posted in MC threads?

I wasn't ascribing those characteristics to any posters in specific, nor do I claim to know what ethel or any other poster thinks about you or any other poster. I wasn't even really saying that the case here being reacted to was a good example of people who don't know stuff shooting their trap.

I was merely clarifying that I'm virtually positive that ethelred has no opinion whatsoever on football games and that his statement was grounded in schadenfreude brought on by cynicism rather than an anti-PES agenda... and that personally I can see why someone who posts in sales threads frequently would become jaded about other posters after a while.

fresquito

Right, but I'm willing to guess WEWii is not Z&W. For me there's a big question mark above. There's this high chance that lifetime it will pass 120k with not a big debut and some subtle word and mouth. Then there's the chance that it can cling and do just well.

However, anyone expecting it to sell 100k first week is just kidding themselves. I think Konami will be very happy if they ever cross the 250k in Japan lifetime.

Laguna

Banned
Stumpokapow I think you are a nice guy but I don´t think that someone should try to clarify posts from other members especially when you don´t know him in person. This is something that you should do on your own.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Laguna said:
Stumpokapow I think you are a nice guy but I don´t think that someone should try to clarify posts from other members especially when you don´t know him in person. This is something that you should do on your own.

Certainly. Pretty much immediately after submitting the post I realized that it's not necessarily polite or accurate to speak for someone else. I guess to an extent the post was just as much about admitting that I personally have gotten pretty frustrated over the last few months with some of the issues that have been run into the ground being revived over and over again as it was commenting on what I perceived another poster's motives to be.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Well I have nothing to contribute, except to the altering of post:watch ratio in this topic. Hurrah!

So how do people think the NiGHTS remake/port/thingy sell on PS2? Better or worse than the Wii sequel?

Top Bottom