• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/19 - 2/25

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ethelred said:
Ah, at last an element of reason enters the discussion.
A wasted effort sadly, I'm sure we'll hear about FFXIII Wii next week as well.

Pellham

Banned
Moor-Angol said:
sumimasen

you mean the discussion about MC chart that became Gundam Musou first day sales and became PS3 is doomed and became something else? :D

anyway, sorry ;)

Please tell us why you threw a random japanese word in your reply?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
creamsugar said:
MC 2/19 - 2/25

63 DS FFIII 3,800 995,000

Should be 2 more weeks. Maybe 1 if it gets a little boost. I really thought it'd be past a million by the end of 2006. Nice to see it crawl that last mile though.

CorwinB

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Should be 2 more weeks. Maybe 1 if it gets a little boost. I really thought it'd be past a million by the end of 2006. Nice to see it crawl that last mile though.

Wouldn't it be better if it stayed a true game, though ? Perhaps SE only shipped 999 999 copies in order to be sure FF3 escapes non-game status ?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Segata Sanshiro said:
The FFXIII project is in way too deep development-wise for the PS3, and the Wii is not viable to pick up the project as-is and port to, so they are committed to releasing on the PS3 at this point I'd think.

I can't imagine they're terribly happy about the sales of the PS3, but at the same time, they're probably pretty confident in the gotta-have-it mentality of most of their fanbase, so while its upper range is probably going to be hurt, it's still likely going to sell very, very well.

The nice thing about FFXIII for SE though is that they've hedged their bets with this Fabula Nova Crystalis stuff. There can be as many FFXIII's as SE wants there to be, on whatever systems. I'd say the Wii is a dead lock to get one of them.
That's really not true. FFXIII still has a year, probably almost two years, before the game is released. It has a very long way to go. Story, art, dialog, gameplay mechanics can all be used if they moved the game to Wii. The only things that couldn't would be the engine and the models. The likelihood of a Wii game based on FFXIII (spinoff) are extrememly high, so they are going to creating these new assets for the system regardless. The are many reason why we can say that FFXIII will stay on the PS3, but being too deep in development is not one of them.

ethelred

JJConrad said:
That's really not true. FFXIII still has a year, probably almost two years, before the game is released. It has a very long way to go. Story, art, dialog, gameplay mechanics can all be used if they moved the game to Wii. The only things that couldn't would be the engine and the models. The likelihood of a Wii game based on FFXIII (spinoff) are extrememly high, so they are going to creating these new assets for the system regardless. The are many reason why we can say that FFXIII will stay on the PS3, but being too deep in development is not one of them.

Please, just... stop.

The Wii will get a Spin off FFXIII game, it won't get FFXIII though. I would say there is a chance that it could get FFXIV though but that really all depends on how sales go in the coming years.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Error said:
I remember some dude here who got perma banned (heian-kyo), he used the same arguments ;P

did he hack your account?
Oh. So that's why he is gone...

On the FF13 topic - Square can take their time with that. At the current rate it will be 2 years until the install base is even at what a FF game usually expects to sell.

Ronok

I can't believe people are seriously considering the possibility of FFXIII changing platforms. rofl

Quick question that might have been answered before though..... If PS3 continues to sell like this up until whatever FFXIII's expected release date is at this point, what will the installed base be like?

AniHawk

Xeke said:
I think that there is a better chance of Dragon Quest X showing up on the Wii than FFXIII

2zodyj5.jpg

So you're saying there's a chance.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Final Fantasy XIII for Wii is pretty much impossible at this point, but either XIV or perhaps a greater emphasis (financially and promotionally) on the Crystal Chronicles spinoff series would be a possibility.

Just think of how crazy it would be if the new CC game outsold FFXIII in Japan.... :eek:

Eteric Rice

Xeke said:
I think that there is a better chance of Dragon Quest X showing up on the Wii than FFXIII

Actually, I think the chances of Dragon Quest X going to the Wii are pretty damned good.

As for FFXIII coming to the Wii... I seriously doubt that.

I personally wish they'd just stop making the main series, and maybe concentrate on a spin-off for each system.

That's just me.

Galactic Fork

Eteric Rice said:
Actually, I think the chances of Dragon Quest X going to the Wii are pretty damned good.

As for FFXIII coming to the Wii... I seriously doubt that.

I personally wish they'd just stop making the main series, and maybe concentrate on a spin-off for each system.

That's just me.

Are you serious? I'm not one of the people who think all sequels are evil, but it is refreshing that FF is one of the few series out there in which the new games aren't real sequels. They are almost completely new IP with just a few staples.

I really think they're overdoing it with all the spin offs and compilations (and releasing 1 and 2 once again separately at full price). But it makes them money, so they'll keep doing it. Unfortunately, they're going to saturate the market with FF until everybody's tired of it. Well... That hasn't stopped the mario games... But really, this is like saying they should scrub Mario Galaxy and focus on Mario Curling!

Tabris

I don't understand how anyone can say they are tired of the main series when they are COMPLETLY different games. Compare FFXII to FFX or FFXI and tell me if they have anything in common. Gameplay mechanics, setting, music, story... it's all different between each game unless it does a homage.

I would have to say it's the side stories that are the least refreshing, but we all know the type of people who cheer for those and you can tell by which console they're being released on.

Eteric Rice

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Are you serious? I'm not one of the people who think all sequels are evil, but it is refreshing that FF is one of the few series out there in which the new games aren't real sequels. They are almost completely new IP with just a few staples.

I really think they're overdoing it with all the spin offs and compilations (and releasing 1 and 2 once again separately at full price). But it makes them money, so they'll keep doing it. Unfortunately, they're going to saturate the market with FF until everybody's tired of it. Well... That hasn't stopped the mario games... But really, this is like saying they should scrub Mario Galaxy and focus on Mario Curling!

Yeah, but Mario isn't Mario I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XIII, XIII Versus...

They should just cut the numbers off, it's going to be pretty rediculous soon.

Deku

Banned
Tabris said:
I don't understand how anyone can say they are tired of the main series when they are COMPLETLY different games. Compare FFXII to FFX or FFXI and tell me if they have anything in common. Gameplay mechanics, setting, music, story... it's all different between each game unless it does a homage.

I would have to say it's the side stories that are the least refreshing, but we all know the type of people who cheer for those and you can tell by which console they're being released on.

FFXII has a lot incommon with FFXI which is probably why it was detrimental to my enjoyment of the game. If I hadn't played XI I would think the world of XII.

ethelred

Tabris said:

Hey, that's okay, you're allowed to look forward to Crisis Core. We won't judge.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Dragona Akehi said:
Exactly. Any more of this "ZOMG X GAME CANCELLED ON Y CONSOLE IN FAVOUR OF Z CONSOLE" will be seeing the business end of the banstick. Quicklike.
I have no intentions of getting into anything like that. Nor am I trying to persaude people into thinking that it will happen. You would never make a post taking the asumption that it is happening. However, I do find the idea that it CAN'T happen funny ... simply because no one knows how things will turn out. The are good reasons why it can happen and there are good reasons why it won't happen, but today, FFXIII is being made for the PS3 and that's that.

apujanata

Ronok said:
Quick question that might have been answered before though..... If PS3 continues to sell like this up until whatever FFXIII's expected release date is at this point, what will the installed base be like?

Current PS3 LTD (up to 2/25/07, M-create) : 676,283
Average weekly sales from Launch till 2/25/07 (16 weeks) : 42,268

Non holiday period sales (from jan 08 - Feb 25, 2007) : 148,781
Average weekly sales from Jan 08 - Feb 25, 2007 (7 weeks) : 21,254.

FFXIII will most probably be released in Japan between Feb 24, 2008 and Feb 22, 2009

If we assume average weekly sales of 42,268, the LTD will be :
by Feb 24 2008 (52 weeks into future) : 2,874,203
by Feb 22, 2009 (104 weeks into future) : 5,072,123

If we assume average weekly sales of 21,254, the LTD will be :
by Feb 24 2008 (52 weeks into future) : 1,781,513
by Feb 22, 2009 (104 weeks into future) : 2,886,744

So, by the time FFXIII was released, PS3 LTD will be between 1.8 Million (minimum) to 5.1 Million (maximum)

apujanata

FE first week sales analysis :

Fire Emblem : Path of Radiance. Released on GCN on 20-Apr-05.
First week sales : 100,357 (Famitsu)
GCN LTD by April 17, 2005 : 3,793,268 (M-create)
% of userbase : 2.65%

Fire Emblem : Goddess of Dawn. Released on Wii on Feb 22, 2007.
First week sales :75,359 (M-create)
Wii LTD by Feb 19, 2007 : 1,586,829 (M-create)
% of userbase : 4.75%

Verdict : Slight improvement (percentage wise), but nothing outstanding (outstanding is more than double, IMO)

apujanata said:
Current PS3 LTD (up to 2/25/07, M-create) : 676,283
Average weekly sales from Launch till 2/25/07 (16 weeks) : 42,268

Non holiday period sales (from jan 08 - Feb 25, 2007) : 148,781
Average weekly sales from Jan 08 - Feb 25, 2007 (7 weeks) : 21,254.

FFXIII will most probably be released in Japan between Feb 24, 2008 and Feb 22, 2009

If we assume average weekly sales of 42,268, the LTD will be :
by Feb 24 2008 (52 weeks into future) : 2,874,203
by Feb 22, 2009 (104 weeks into future) : 5,072,123

If we assume average weekly sales of 21,254, the LTD will be :
by Feb 24 2008 (52 weeks into future) : 1,781,513
by Feb 22, 2009 (104 weeks into future) : 2,886,744

So, by the time FFXIII was released, PS3 LTD will be between 1.8 Million (minimum) to 5.1 Million (maximum)

You are forgetting, however, that Gundam Musou's release will move 1.8 million consoles alone...

Except those consoles will not be PS3s.

Terrell

apujanata said:
FE first week sales analysis :

Fire Emblem : Path of Radiance. Released on GCN on 20-Apr-05.
First week sales : 100,357 (Famitsu)
GCN LTD by April 17, 2005 : 3,793,268 (M-create)
% of userbase : 2.65%

Fire Emblem : Goddess of Dawn. Released on Wii on Feb 22, 2007.
First week sales :75,359 (M-create)
Wii LTD by Feb 19, 2007 : 1,586,829 (M-create)
% of userbase : 4.75%

Verdict : Slight improvement (percentage wise), but nothing outstanding (outstanding is more than double, IMO)
Well, we still need to see if this franchise has mega-awesome legs. I'm predicting at least one more good week of sales... not Top 10 material, perhaps... more like the surprise out-of-nowhere Children of Mana legs, drifting through the lower part of the Top 30 for about a month.

vanguardian1

As a fan of the Fire Emblem series, I would just like to see it 1 more time on the top10 for next week. Funny thing is I believe Famitsu gave it the same scores overall as it did Gundam Masou, 32/40. :)

Too bad Fire Emblem doesn't have the pull that Gundam does. ;)

Galactic Fork

Eteric Rice said:
Yeah, but Mario isn't Mario I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XIII, XIII Versus...

They should just cut the numbers off, it's going to be pretty rediculous soon.

OK, this response makes no sense. First you are saying you don't want the new games, you want them to focus on reusing the settings of the old games, but NOW you claim you are just anti roman numeral. And don't many of the spin offs have roman numerals? There is a difference between saying "They should stop making new series entries" and "I don't like that they're numbered"

Eteric Rice

GreenGlowingGoo said:
OK, this response makes no sense. First you are saying you don't want the new games, you want them to focus on reusing the settings of the old games, but NOW you claim you are just anti roman numeral. And don't many of the spin offs have roman numerals? There is a difference between saying "They should stop making new series entries" and "I don't like that they're numbered"

I rarely make sense, as my mind changes sometimes. I'll clear it up, though.

I'm fine with Final Fantasy, but I think they need to stop numbering them. Maybe name them in the way that Nintendo names the Zelda series. They're all different games, but they're not numbered. The title is the same, but the sub-title is different.

Legend of Zelda: Orcania of Time
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

It's just a lot easier that way, and it just gets less crazy, especially when you have someone with new interest in the games. I would die if I walked into a store and saw that I had missed 12 prior games.

Sorry if I had confused you before. : /

Jiggy

Eteric Rice said:
I'm fine with Final Fantasy, but I think they need to stop numbering them. Maybe name them in the way that Nintendo names the Zelda series. They're all different games, but they're not numbered. The title is the same, but the sub-title is different.

Legend of Zelda: Orcania of Time
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

It's just a lot easier that way, and it just gets less crazy, especially when you have someone with new interest in the games. I would die if I walked into a store and saw that I had missed 12 prior games.
Now that you mention it, I wonder if FF or GTA could have taken off in the way they did if they were Final Fantasy XIII on PS1 and Grand Theft Auto 13 on PS2. That even FFVII succeeded seems odd in hindsight, at least to me, but there might be a far greater psychological barrier to entry to many people once a series gets into double-digits...

Jiggy37 said:
Now that you mention it, I wonder if FF or GTA could have taken off in the way they did if they were Final Fantasy XIII on PS1 and Grand Theft Auto 13 on PS2. That even FFVII succeeded seems odd in hindsight, at least to me, but there might be a far greater psychological barrier to entry to many people once a series gets into double-digits...

I think the higher it goes, the sillier it sounds. Can you imagine Final Fantasy XXI? What is this, the Superbowl?

Deku said:
FFXII has a lot incommon with FFXI which is probably why it was detrimental to my enjoyment of the game. If I hadn't played XI I would think the world of XII.
:D

Geez Tabris. I realize nearly everyone on the forum has never even touched FFXI, but you guys could at least fake it well.

FFXIII could go to the Wii. The condition would be that Square makes the determination that they will not recoup their investment if they release it on the PS3, and then do a cost/benefit analysis and based on that determine that the best course of action would be for them to drop the PS3 version entirely and rebuild on the Wii. I don't see that happening. I think it's much more likely that they would go multiplatform if they came to that determination.

bmf said:
FFXIII could go to the Wii. The condition would be that Square makes the determination that they will not recoup their investment if they release it on the PS3, and then do a cost/benefit analysis and based on that determine that the best course of action would be for them to drop the PS3 version entirely and rebuild on the Wii. I don't see that happening. I think it's much more likely that they would go multiplatform if they came to that determination.

No, it couldn't.

What I could see -- in fact, what I predict -- is a lousy FFXIII spinoff for the Wii to go along with all the other lousy FF spinoffs currently in the market.

bmf said:

fotr0766hf9.jpg

Terrell

NintendosBooger said:
No, it couldn't.

What I could see -- in fact, what I predict -- is a lousy FFXIII spinoff for the Wii to go along with all the other lousy FF spinoffs currently in the market.
Y'know, I don't think FFXIII coming to Wii instead of PS3 is very likely, either... but I also didn't think Nintendo would lose FFVII, and I CERTAINLY didn't think Dragon Quest IX would hit DS. Nor would I have believed that Pokemon would survive as a gaming franchise post-fad. Or that... well, I think you get the idea.

Simply put, crazier things have happened, and while the PS3's lower-than-expected marketshare makes a move of the franchise more likely, I'm still not biting. At least, not right now. But yes, the possibility IS there, no matter how much we deny it to be.

EDIT: BTW, if I'm actually reading your post right... does this mean you're predicting Versus XIII to be moved to Wii instead? :lol

vanguardian1

You know, that reminds me of the 3d final fantasy battle system that we saw running on the n64...... :)

edit : I think it was just a tech demo, not trying to cause any confusion.... my memory is very bad, but I *think* I saw the video from gamespot........ 'twas a LONG LONG time ago. :)

Deku

Banned
Terrell said:
Y'know, I don't think FFXIII coming to Wii instead of PS3 is very likely, either... but I also didn't think Nintendo would lose FFVII, and I CERTAINLY didn't think Dragon Quest IX would hit DS. Nor would I have believed that Pokemon would survive as a gaming franchise post-fad. Or that... well, I think you get the idea.

Simply put, crazier things have happened, and while the PS3's lower-than-expected marketshare makes a move of the franchise more likely, I'm still not biting. At least, not right now. But yes, the possibility IS there, no matter how much we deny it to be.

EDIT: BTW, if I'm actually reading your post right... does this mean you're predicting Versus XIII to be moved to Wii instead? :lol

Why would you bite on something that's not there. True crazier things have happened, but frankly any speculation about FFXIII's fate at this point, outside of it being a PS3 title, is pure speculation, even if the PS3 sells 1 unit every week for the next 6 months.

With DQIX there were some comments made which made a move away from PlayStation 3 very likely, and people hedged Wii and PS2 with DS being a crazy wildcard choice, but it was obvious to most the day before the announcement was made that it wasn't coming to the PS3. But I'm just extrapolating GAF community sentiment in this case. I'm sure there are people who did not follow the story that didn't see it coming. So even whether there was 'surprise' or not is up for debate.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ethelred said:
Hey, that's okay, you're allowed to look forward to Crisis Core. We won't judge.
Crisis Core is like the main series because it's directly related to FFVII, duh. Didn't you hear it looks better than FFXII?

Terrell

Deku said:
Why would you bite on something that's not there. True crazier things have happened, but frankly any speculation about FFXIII's fate at this point, outside of it being a PS3 title, is pure speculation, even if the PS3 sells 1 unit every week for the next 6 months.

With DQIX there were some comments made which made a move away from PlayStation 3 very likely, and people hedged Wii and PS2 with DS being a crazy wildcard choice, but it was obvious to most the day before the announcement was made that it wasn't coming to the PS3. But I'm just extrapolating GAF community sentiment in this case. I'm sure there are people who did not follow the story that didn't see it coming. So even whether there was 'surprise' or not is up for debate.
Funny, I'd say the... 50-something page thread with the DQ announcement is a testament of the shock, horror and dumbfoundedness caused all around. You can say that "if you were following the story, it shouldn't have been that big of a shock", but hindsight is 20/20, isn't it?

Go back and check the thread in question (if possible), people who mentioned DS as the platform of choice and using the main Dragon Quest series' historic precedent of being assigned to the highest-selling platform were being laughed out of the thread, saying it HAS to come to either Wii, PS2 or PS3 because "it's NEVER going to be on a handheld, EVER".

Flash forward to this FFXIII discussion... people are proposing that SQE will move the franchise to Wii, quoting historic precedent that the FF series can change hands after initial announcement on a specific platform if the company deems that the platform manufacturer is out of touch with the modern climate of gaming (in Nintendo's case with FFVII, using cartridges and having totally Byzantine 3rd-party developer relations; in Sony's case with FFXIII, putting their console out at a pricepoint that makes it nearly unpalatable to the current market and giving 3rd-parties minimal opportunites for return-on-investment). People piss on this particular line of thinking because "FF is a graphics powerhouse franchise and Wii can't offer that" or "they've already announced it, it's underway, they can't back down now"...

So forgive me, but I can't say "no" to the idea. I can't quite say "yes" yet, but I do accept even a transient possibility that something like this could indeed happen. And who knows, maybe we'll look back on this later and have all the evidence in front of us to say we kinda figured FFXIII moving to another platform was likely to happen, as well. Like I said, hindsight is 20/20.

Level 5's Professor Layton sales is simply amazing. I am expecting to see Level 5 reach Square Enix status someday. I can't wait for Level 5 Wii games.

Neomoto

I don't think there is one clear answer to the whole FF XIII business, because this situation has never happened before. PS3 sells like utter shit. Of course we don't like it, but it's the truth. Besides that the hardware is selling low, the software sales are ridiculous, even worse than PSP's. You know you're in trouble when that situation occurs, especially when it concerns a Sony console in Japan no less. And it's been that way since launch. Even now, this week, the one game in the whole top 50 for christs sake is number 49. With this kind of game, FF main series, you can't **** around taking incredible riscs and hoping it will be alright. Square Enix is still a business at the end of the day. If the hardware sales are still bad in a year from now, I doubt they'll throw away so much money. Because, in a perfect world, almost every single ps3 user would then HAVE to be a FF fan to sell good FF numbers. Like a said before, this situation has never happened before. Especially since the competitor is making the ps3 look like shit in terms of hard- and software sales. My guess is, IF that situation occurs / still stands, that even though the series rely on incredible graphics, they'll port and downgrade the game to Wii in order to cover losses and make (more) profit instead.

At the end of the day, the hardware that has the most user base is still the priority of Square Enix, if the DS could reach 20 million plus units at the end of this year, which I think is possible, Square Enix will have no choice but to convert FFXIII or develop FFXIV and Dragon Quest 10 for DS.

future_pinoy said:
At the end of the day, the hardware that has the most user base is still the priority of Square Enix, if the DS could reach 20 million plus units at the end of this year, which I think is possible, Square Enix will have no choice but to port FFXIII or develop FFXIV and Dragon Quest 10 for DS.

I'd love to say this is a joke, but then again, it's future_pinoy posting it.

Defuser

future_pinoy said:
Square Enix will have no choice but to port FFXIII or develop FFXIV and Dragon Quest 10 for DS.
Ok I seen plenty of absurd posts but this one takes the cake

So how the hell SE can port FFXIII
FFXIII_battle1--screenshot_large.jpg

to this

ds-lite-2.jpg

I can agree a spin off game but port of the game? if they use story and script for it then it's not called a port at all.

Defuser said:
Ok I seen plenty of absurd posts but this one takes the cake

So how the hell SE can port FFXIII
FFXIII_battle1--screenshot_large.jpg

to this

ds-lite-2.jpg

I can agree a spin off game but port of the game? if they use story and script for it then it's not called a port at all.

future_pinoy said:
Square Enix will have no choice but to convert FFXIII or develop FFXIV and Dragon Quest 10 for DS.

Fixed.

Top Bottom