• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/19 - 2/25

Defuser said:
Ok I seen plenty of absurd posts but this one takes the cake

So how the hell SE can port FFXIII
FFXIII_battle1--screenshot_large.jpg

to this

ds-lite-2.jpg

I can agree a spin off game but port of the game? if they use story and script for it then it's not called a port at all.

ashds2.jpg

ashds3.jpg

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Pureauthor said:
ASH is even more vaporwarish than FFVII:CC is.
That's a different topic but it'd be funny if ASH came out first wouldn't it? :lol

lo zaffo

future_pinoy said:
Level 5's Professor Layton sales is simply amazing. I am expecting to see Level 5 reach Square Enix status someday. I can't wait for Level 5 Wii games.
Me either, but I don't think Level 5 will ever develop on Wii, maybe in the next 5 to 10 years if Nintendo will sustain their home consoles market. Looking what Nintendo had from Square-Enix for home consoles, a cheap Final Fantasy spin-off in 5 years frame period, I don't expect too much from Wii.

jj984jj said:
That's a different topic but it'd be funny if ASH came out first wouldn't it? :lol

Oh, man, Sales-Age would be so amazingly hilarious of ASH outsold FFVII:CC. Won't happen, though. :p

Me either, but I don't think Level 5 will ever develop on Wii, maybe in the next 5 to 10 years if Nintendo will sustain their home consoles market. Looking what Nintendo had from Square-Enix for home consoles, a cheap Final Fantasy spin-off in 5 years frame period, I don't expect too much from Wii.

I'm taking it you're not very good at recognizing trends.

felipeko

lo zaffo said:

so you're saying that level 5 will ignore wii for the next 5 years, even if it keep getting ds-like sales?

jj984jj

Pureauthor said:
Oh, man, Sales-Age would be so amazingly hilarious of ASH outsold FFVII:CC. Won't happen, though. :p
I meant if it was released first, not talking about sales. :p

Kafel

Banned
jj984jj said:
I meant if it was released first, not talking about sales. :p

What are you talking about guys ? It's the black-out on the ASH infos but the game will be released before the end of the year in Japan.

I remember a Famitsu where its development status was discussed by Sagakushi : it has progressed nicely and now that the Blue Dragon bonus are finished, they're in the last sprint for this game.

Eteric Rice

I'm definately going to buy ASH.

I kind of wish a company would make some kind of epic RPG series, and support it with good advertising. It'd be nice to see someone give Final Fantasy a run for it's money.

Tabris

DarthWufei said:
:D

Geez Tabris. I realize nearly everyone on the forum has never even touched FFXI, but you guys could at least fake it well.

I've played it, I was level 75 Paladin. It's not the same though, FFXII was inspired by FFXI's battle system and it seems similar, but FFXII has a deep gambit system and FFXI has a more involved battle system with a huge job system. The only similarity is how you run up and auto-attack.

Tabris said:
I've played it, I was level 75 Paladin. It's not the same though, FFXII was inspired by FFXI's battle system and it seems similar, but FFXII has a deep gambit system and FFXI has a more involved battle system with a huge job system. The only similarity is how you run up and auto-attack.

Man, I'd have loved to have had you for a tank.

*Hobgoblin readies Bomb Toss.
<Tabris> Well, actually, you'll just do more damage relative to yourself than you will to us if you use that. It's important to look at the full health bars versus damage.
<Hobgoblin> What the heck are you on?
<Tabris> It's more important to use the total HP to determine the attack you should use. I think you'll then understand that using that Bomb Toss is a waste of time that could have been better spent doing a more damaging attack, relatively speaking.
<Hobgoblin>I - wha-
*Hobgoblin drops bomb.

Aurora

Tabris said:
I could have posted this exact same post and it would have been entirely truthful.

The Quickening chain was obviously based on FFXI's Skillchains (especially the resulting effects like Ark Blast etc. much like FFXI's Skillchain system), but was poorly implemented IMO. Had they just copied it directly it would have been far more effective and pragmatic, especially for the end-game bosses. Magic Bursts FTW.

Aurora said:
I could have posted this exact same post and it would have been entirely truthful.

The Quickening chain was obviously based on FFXI's Skillchains (especially the resulting effects like Ark Blast etc. much like FFXI's Skillchain system), but was poorly implemented IMO. Had they just copied it directly it would have been far more effective and pragmatic, especially for the end-game bosses. Magic Bursts FTW.

I wasn't denying the truthfulness of it. I was merely positing what it would be like to have Tabris as a tank. Pretty awesome, as it turns out!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Segata Sanshiro said:

<Tabris> Well, actually, you'll just do more damage relative to yourself than you will to us if you use that. It's important to look at the full health bars versus damage.
<Tabris> It's more important to use the total HP to determine the attack you should use. I think you'll then understand that using that Bomb Toss is a waste of time that could have been better spent doing a more damaging attack, relatively speaking.
<Hobgoblin>I - wha-
*Hobgoblin drops bomb.
:lol :lol

king zell

- Hoshi no Kirby: Sanjou! Dorocche Dan [Kirby Squeak Squad] (NDS, Nintendo): 887.493 St.
- Virtua Fighter 5 (PS3, Sega): 65.835 St.
- GTA San Andreas (PS2, Capcom): 331.540 St.
- Wish Room: Tenshi no Kioku [Hotel Dusk: Room 215] (NDS, Nintendo): 124.030 St.

from gamefront . nice numbers for hotel dusk in Japan :)

king zell said:
- Hoshi no Kirby: Sanjou! Dorocche Dan [Kirby Squeak Squad] (NDS, Nintendo): 887.493 St.
- Virtua Fighter 5 (PS3, Sega): 65.835 St.
- GTA San Andreas (PS2, Capcom): 331.540 St.
- Wish Room: Tenshi no Kioku [Hotel Dusk: Room 215] (NDS, Nintendo): 124.030 St.

Wow - Hotel Dusk is doing really nicely! Great sales for Kirby as well, with it looking like it could possibly break a million in a few months.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Segata Sanshiro said:

<Hobgoblin>I - wha-
*Hobgoblin drops bomb.
:lol

sphinx

the piano man
ylvis_ said:
So, Naruto 5 is going to sell more than VF5. Interesting.

as much as everyone hyped VF5's japanese performance prior to ist launch week, it never was THAT big of a title. Naruto isn't that small, on the other hand either.

I think it still makes sense and it's understandable.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
apujanata said:
Poor dirtmonkey37. During his flinging, he didn't realize that DSL was release Mar 2, 2006 in Japan, so he didn't know that today is the day of DSL Anniversary. If it managed to sell 9 million units in 12 months, that mean the average is 750K/month, no ?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DSL

I sense troubled time ahead.

Nice :lol

I didn't notice that. I don't know, but even after I took into account the 6 mil + the original DS sold, I couldn't believe the DS lite had sold so little. Not that it has sold badly, in fact, it has sold amazingly well, but all those weeks of MC with DS lite at the top, bringing in numbers like 150K per week, I just.....I don't know. I had a hyperbole infect my brain....

sphinx said:
as much as everyone hyped VF5's japanese performance prior to ist launch week, it never was THAT big of a title. Naruto isn't that small, on the other hand either.

I think it still makes sense and it's understandable.

Then again, Naruto EX suffers from the lack of exports into other countries. GNT1-4 were big import-hits.

apujanata

cvxfreak said:
Wow. I wonder if it'll go on to break 3 Million.

I don't think it will break 3 Million. Why ? Because most probably, Nintendo would have released another Mario Kart for DS, or because people are more interested in newer game for NDS.

Remember, DQ8 break 3 million easily, but they have not yet (AFAIK) broke 4 million. I'll put down the million milestone for DQ8 (all famitsu)
2,236,881 for 2 days since release. (28-Nov-04)
3,113,169 achieved 23 since release. (19-Dec-04)
3,538,860 achieved 394 days since release (25-Dec-05)

Mario Kart DS million milestone (all Famitsu) :
1,028,190 achieved 46 days since release (22-Jan-06)
1,939,461 achieved 431 days since release (11-Feb-07)

AdmiralViscen said:
I doubt they'll come out with another MKDS.

They would be absolutely insane to not release another. All the resources are there, just design new levels and refine the online a bit and there is another two million games sold in Japan. It has been a top seller in America for a long time, as well. I would buy a second Mario Kart for DS, even if it were only new levels and no other changes.

apujanata

AdmiralViscen said:
I doubt they'll come out with another MKDS.

Yeah, so far, they only come up with one Mario Kart game per generation, right ? Even if they did not release another MK on DS, I still think it is not possible for MKDS to get to 3 Million (unless DS have a long, long life, like 10 years or so). It take MKDS more than 1 year to get from 1 Million to 2 Million, so it most probably will take 5-10 years to go from 2 Million to 3 Million.

cvxfreak

apujanata said:
Yeah, so far, they only come up with one Mario Kart game per generation, right ? Even if they did not release another MK on DS, I still think it is not possible for MKDS to get to 3 Million (unless DS have a long, long life, like 10 years or so). It take MKDS more than 1 year to get from 1 Million to 2 Million, so it most probably will take 5-10 years to go from 2 Million to 3 Million.

Another 900K doesn't sound unreasonable really.

youngblood000 said:
They would be absolutely insane to not release another. All the resources are there, just design new levels and refine the online a bit and there is another two million games sold in Japan. It has been a top seller in America for a long time, as well. I would buy a second Mario Kart for DS, even if it were only new levels and no other changes.

Yea, just like they did on SNES, N64, and GBA.

The fact that the current one, which requires no more development, is still selling well is a reason NOT to release a sequel.

AdmiralViscen said:
Yea, just like they did on SNES, N64, and GBA.

The fact that the current one, which requires no more development, is still selling well is a reason NOT to release a sequel.

Right. I had assumed that each were released later in their respective console's life and sold well enough through the remainder that no sequel (per system) was necessary or worthwhile. I don't know their release dates though, so I may be way off there.

And I know that releasing a sequel while the previous game is still selling well is dumb (which is why no NSMB2 has been announced, and Nintendo is probably sitting on another Brain Training and perhaps another Nintendogs)... but I want another MKDS, dammit... Oh well, it's not like I will run out of DS games to play any time soon.

Jiggy

youngblood000 said:
Right. I had assumed that each were released later in their respective console's life and sold well enough through the remainder that no sequel (per system) was necessary or worthwhile. I don't know their release dates though, so I may be way off there.
They were all early release dates in the console's lives. Except for the GC Mario Kart, which was 2003 (and maybe the SNES Mario Kart--I forget), they even showed up within the first year.

apujanata

cvxfreak said:
Another 900K doesn't sound unreasonable really.

After further checking, I just noticed that the latest weekly sales figure for MKDS is 17K, which is quite high (I thought it was in the <10K/week range).

It looks like you are right, CVX. The possbility is quite big, actually. If it managed to hit 3 Million, it's legs are almost as good as Animal Crossing's (but still far away from Brain Age's legs, which is the most amazing leg in the current / last 5 years).

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Jonnyram said:
Wow, these Media Create threads have been getting big recently :/

ONly because the PSP had a big seller this week. Its sadly not due to any actually discussion of sales, only pointless bickering :/

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
Wow, these Media Create threads have been getting big recently :/

The funny thing is a lot of Sony fans (SSX, kaching, etc.) don't post in these threads anymore. They used to contribute back before the DS launched and when the PSP was on its winning streak for awhile.

Tabris on the other hand popped back in. :D

I guess this is what happens when new systems launch and the NPD becomes gimped.

Tabris

Haha, I'll take that as a compliment Segata :)

Media Create tends to be more interesting than NDP because even though you have shitty non-games running amok, at least you have a chance for good games to sell well unlike the usual boring Madden 0X/EA Game ruled NPD.

cvxfreak

Tabris said:
Haha, I'll take that as a compliment Segata :)

Media Create tends to be more interesting than NDP because even though you have shitty non-games running amok, at least you have a chance for good games to sell well unlike the usual boring Madden 0X/EA Game ruled NPD.

Tabris said:
Well I predicted Earthbound wouldn't sell over 200k it's first chart, I was wrong by 5k.

So being true to my word, I won't say a single thing about Brain Training, Animal Crossing or the concept of "non-games" again.

It's been fun guys :)

You filthy liar. :mad:

Tabris

I didn't mention anything about BT, AC or the concept of non-games. I was talking about how shitty games of the non-game genre sell well in Japan, it's no longer a concept but a full fledged genre now :p

Deku

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:

<Hobgoblin>I - wha-
*Hobgoblin drops bomb.

I think you missed the part where it says

Tabris was defeated by Hobgoblin
Tabris falls to level 74

cvxfreak

Tabris said:
I didn't mention anything about BT, AC or the concept of non-games. I was talking about how shitty games of the non-game genre sell well in Japan, it's no longer a concept but a full fledged genre now :p

The concept of non-games encompasses their quality.

You call them shitty.

You commented on the concept on non-games. :p

Tabris said:

You didn't call them conceptually shitty? What part of them is shitty, their packaging?

And if you weren't talking about BT and AC, which shitty non-games were you referring to as clogging up the charts?

AdmiralViscen said:
You didn't call them conceptually shitty? What part of them is shitty, their packaging?

And if you weren't talking about BT and AC, which shitty non-games were you referring to as clogging up the charts?

Most games on the top 30 charts for the DS are non-games nowadays, Viscen.

jj984jj

Tabris said:
Well I predicted Earthbound wouldn't sell over 200k it's first chart, I was wrong by 5k.

So being true to my word, I won't say a single thing about Brain Training, Animal Crossing or the concept of "non-games" again.

It's been fun guys :)
Liar.

Top Bottom