• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/25 - 3/2

Frillen said:
Galaxy is holding on. Will be a long way to 1 Million though.

Why doesn't everyone in Japan buy a 2nd copy to boost sales?

i guess Galaxy was too overyhyped as the "Mario Metal Gear Solid Platformer"...

VerTiGo

Banned
I wonder if the Xbox 360 will ever hit one million. I think Tales will be the next significant jump... but I'm also hoping it'll be ported to the PS3 because I just got rid of my 360.

donny2112 said:
Actually the Arcade system launches this week, so it could see a bump for next week. 5K or do we dare to dream of 10K?
10k is insanity!!!! Whens the last time the 360 has made it to the 5 digits?

donny2112

I haven't posted these graphs in a while. This is the monthly totals for each system using NPD weeks to define the months. This is the first time PSP has outsold the DS since the Slim launch. It is also the lowest DS month since the Lite launched.

MonthlyHandhelds.png

MonthlyConsoles.png

Redd

I'm impressed with the psp sales. Hopefully it keeps selling well and developers will give it way more support.

titiklabingapat said:
Jesus Christ, the Wii is 80% of the console market this week. When was the last time it's weekly market share was that damn near unstoppable?
Hey there titiklabingapat. Haven't seen you around lately. Um... what happened to your avatar?

Hey, the PS3 keeps on falling. If this keeps up, we'll be up to our necks in bad Vegeta jokes by next month. Is there anything coming up that can give it a boost?

donny2112

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Hey, the PS3 keeps on falling. If this keeps up, we'll be up to our necks in bad Vegeta jokes by next month. Is there anything coming up that can give it a boost?

Huh? Satin Silver PS3 launches this week with Yakuza 3. I take it you forgot?

DS - the "usual 200k per week" is definitely over.
PSP - amazed by it's continuing success (new color only did about 20k, but it's a fugly color anyway)
Wii - holding steady and healthy numbers
PS3 - keeps falling. When will it break the magical 10k barrier (new color next week?)
PS2 - Won't die
360 - ...uhm..

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Wii has over 80% of the marketshare this week in home consoles. THey are owning shit right now.

VerTiGo

Banned
What I find interesting is that the Wii's hardware sales for the week or almost exactly the same number as this week's WiiFit sales numbers.

Osuwari

oh no! the DS is dying. save it! where's my medic box??

/sarcasm+paranoia

nice numbers for the top systems.

btw, what's the next Wii heavyweight in the release calendar? mario kart?

C.T.

Souldriver said:
DS - the "usual 200k per week" is definitely over.
PSP - amazed by it's continuing success (new color only did about 20k, but it's a fugly color anyway)
Wii - holding steady and healthy numbers
PS3 - keeps falling. When will it break the magical 10k barrier again?(new color next week?)
PS2 - Won't die
360 - ...uhm..

fixed

Redd said:
Doesn't matter they're both good handhelds. Besides the DS has sold over 20 million units in Japan it'll be fine.

Yes I know they are both good handhelds, I own both. But I'd like to see the DS stay ahead of PSP in sales especially since the PSP is the more expensive handheld of the two.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
perfectchaos007 said:
Yes I know they are both good handhelds, I own both. But I'd like to see the DS stay ahead of PSP in sales especially since the PSP is the more expensive handheld of the two.

:lol

okay buddy

dude

dude
perfectchaos007 said:
Yeah, I can hear developers shifting focus as we speak.

I seriously don't think you need to worry here, just let the PSP get some of the spotlight.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
donny2112 said:
The sales are tracking below the first game's, and the development costs are almost assuredly significantly higher.
Why?
The game is very obviously the same thing they've been developing for PS2 for past 8 years,
including the art being still very much "optimized for" SDTV.
My guess is they either hired one extra person to recompile PS2 codebase for PS3 with zero changes(or maybe Sony sent one of their engineers to do it), or Sony actually gave them one of the internal PS2 emulator builds to run the game in as is. (And I'm not joking about the latter - I'm sure such thing has already happened before - eg. Harvest Moon BTN "port" to PSP).

If that's the case, they should be already planning a PS2 port ala Gundam Musou Special.
IMO if they do rerelease this on other platforms, they'd serve themselves well to also have it on PSN. Actually, they should do the latter anyway.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
How is the PS3 doing compared to last year in Japan?

Vinnk

As I say every week, The DS has mostly saturated it's traditional market. This is to say, kids. It is very rare for me to find one of my students who doesn't own a DS. When i asked what kids wanted for Christmas 2 years ago, everyone wanted a DS. This yeah when I asked the kids wanted Wii or PSP or more commonly just DS games. Very few kids wanted a DS, the reason for this is that they already have one (or two in some cases). The kids market is tapped. All that's left is to keep making them for the few holdouts or to replace broken units.

But, it is still selling 50k a week (numbers all systems other than Wii and DS can only dream of). The reason for this is that it is doing a good job of hitting markets that are not Nintendo strongholds. They are selling to older people, office ladies, hardcore gamers who have shunned portables in the past and people in their late twenties/early thirties who loved games in the famicom days but havn't played them since they "grew up". And there is still plenty of room for growth in these areas.

PSP is popular for high school age kids (mostly boys, some girls). They want to appear cool and they get the more hardcore looking system. Some of these kids pirate games (there are TONS of magazines that teach them how) others are buying New copies of Monster Hunter 2 (used ones are only slightly cheaper) and maybe a used copy of FFVIII:CC (used ones are way cheaper, because they are so many of them). As the little kids grow up, they will probably buy a PSP as well. There is still tremendous room for PSP growth in the school age market. I think PSP will continue to sell well for quite a while.

I personally don't see the PSP being used as a media player very much but it seems people are buying it for that as well.

50k seems small compared to the numbers DS used to sell, but when you consider that many of them are probably first time game buyers or people who haven't bought games in decades, then that number looks a bit brighter.

DiddyBop

on the bright side the PSP hass been absolutely killin it since the Lite has been released,im impressed. sony needs to do something about the ps3 in japan though,c an they really just bank on mgs4 which is months away?

donny2112

Shepherd said:
How is the PS3 doing compared to last year in Japan?

If you look at the console graph posted earlier, you could answer this question yourself ...

DiddyBop said:
c an they really just bank on mgs4 which is months away?

Considering that MGS2/3 were outsold on the PS2 by a lot of franchises that have already launched on the PS3 and those franchise games sold << 500K, I'd say banking on MGS4 being a big mover in Japan is setting yourself up for disappointment.

osuwari said:
btw, what's the next Wii heavyweight in the release calendar?

Metroid Prime 3 and General Knowledge Training Wii launch this week to go against Yakuza 3. Yakuza 3 should easily trounce them, though. House of the Dead 2 & 3 launches in a couple of weeks.

Vinnk

donny2112 said:
Metroid Prime 3 and General Knowledge Training Wii launch this week to go against Yakuza 3. Yakuza 3 should easily trounce them, though. House of the Dead 2 & 3 launches in a couple of weeks.

My prediction:

Yakuza 3 will beat General Knowledge Training TV and Metroid Prime 3 combined. For the first week numbers.

But GKT TV will beat out Yakuza 3 LTD.

Top Bottom