• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/3 - 3/9

Vinnk said:
Sure, anything specifically that you want me to ask?

Hmmm, well, there's the obvious about the supply, how well they're selling relative to the stock, etc.

Also, if it's not too odd a question to pose, could you ask about the sort of people who buy EO2?

jgwhiteus

PantherLotus said:
I double my PS3 prediction from 14k to 28ish-k.

For the week? The Famitsu numbers were:

DSL 45000
PSP 66000
Wii 51000
PS3 21000
PS2 8800
360 2500

Are you just guessing on how much MC will vary from Famitsu (7K below vs. 7K above?)

Lobster

Banned
So Family Ski would be at 100k+ now according to MC right? I remember Famitsu had it like 10k behind MC.

Sad to see such a drop for WEWii..Is it stock issues or interest issues?

Looks like Smash will be beaten by Wii Fit soon.

Smash definitely doesn't have legs like Wii Fit but I believe it will get bigger bumps during holidays when compared to Wii Sports, Play and Fit.

Blablurn

what's wrong with japanese gamers :/ do they really need tons of RPG's to buy the PS3. I mean - 21k is just a joke.

ok...but the biggest joke is the xbox. lol. i wonder when it's going to reach the 1000 mark.

Vinnk

Lobster said:
So Family Ski would be at 100k+ now according to MC right? I remember Famitsu had it like 10k behind MC.

Sad to see such a drop for WEWii..Is it stock issues or interest issues?

Looks like Smash will be beaten by Wii Fit soon.

Smash definitely doesn't have legs like Wii Fit but I believe it will get bigger bumps during holidays when compared to Wii Sports, Play and Fit.

There are copies of WE Wii available in my town. But there have been no price drops so I assume that it is doing within retail expectations.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Blablurn said:
what's wrong with japanese gamers :/ do they really need tons of RPG's to buy the PS3. I mean - 21k is just a joke.

ok...but the biggest joke is the xbox. lol. i wonder when it's going to reach the 1000 mark.

1. Welcome to the past 2 years for xbox sales. You might as well be talking about game gear sales in the US.

2. I think if a game sells 180k and fails to push a system higher than 7k systems from the previous week, it's UH-OH time (like the previous 52 weeks). That says to me that every single person that was going to buy the system for those types of games have already bought it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So what is the next big Japanese title? Each system would be nice, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head that'll get systems out the door.

Osuwari

the DS keeps spiraling down...

time for NSMB2 and Brain Age 3. while at it, throw a 2D Metroid and a portable SSB (2D maybe. i wonder how a sprite-based SSB would look. definitely don't port the N64 SSB since that thing is really bare-bones next to the sequels)

Vinnk said:
What are you trying to say?

Uh, what part of "I never thought that one title would sell more than all the Top Five Wii titles COMBINED" was so unclear there?

Wii has outsold PS3 like 4:1 in Japan. I never imagined that even with a hot PS3 title out, it would outsell all the top Wii titles by that much.

Eteric Rice said:
Nice try. :lol

"Nice try...lol" what?

OK... Maybe you guys can tell me what I'm trying to say here, since my typing in clear English seems to be confusing you so much.

Lobster

Banned
They thought you were talking about Wii Sports or some Wii game outselling the top 5 Wii titles combined.

You didn't make it clear that you meant Yakuza 3.

OR

They thought you meant LTD.

Vinnk said:
There are copies of WE Wii available in my town. But there have been no price drops so I assume that it is doing within retail expectations.

Thats good I guess...as long as it can keep a solid 10k weekly for 2 months it should be ok.

Eteric Rice

Pristine_Condition said:
Uh, what part of "I never thought that one title would sell more than all the Top Five Wii titles COMBINED" was so unclear there?

Wii has outsold PS3 like 4:1 in Japan. I never imagined that even with a hot PS3 title out, it would outsell all the top Wii titles by that much.

"Nice try...lol" what?

OK... Maybe you guys can tell me what I'm trying to say here, since my typing in clear English seems to be confusing you so much.

Clearly the Wii titles are disadvantaged, since they've been out for a while now. Yakuza just came out, this is it's opening week.

Your statement isn't inaccurate, it's just unbalanced. :p

jgwhiteus

Osuwari said:
the DS keeps spiraling down...

time for NSMB2 and Brain Age 3. while at it, throw a 2D Metroid and a portable SSB (2D maybe. i wonder how a sprite-based SSB would look. definitely don't port the N64 SSB since that thing is really bare-bones next to the sequels)

At this point I'm not sure those sequels would sell more systems, even though I'm sure they'd sell amazingly well. The thing is, if people weren't drawn in by NSMB, why would they buy a DS for NSMB2? After a certain point in a system's lifecycle it's hard to say what the "system sellers" will be, since you expect that they've captured a large part of their intended market. Like, with Dragon Quest IX, I'd expect there might be a few DQ fans who haven't already bought a DS for DQM:J, DQIV, DQV, etc., but that group must be growing smaller every day...so who knows if there'll be that much of a HW bump when DQIX releases unless they come out with a special edition?

The DS needs a game different from or bigger than its existing offerings to really push it beyond people buying a second DS / replacing systems / jumping in late, etc. Same for all other systems, really. Yakuza 3 sold well, but it seems mainly to existing owners. I think Nintendo wanted "General Knowledge Training TV" to be a sort of Brain Training to expand the market, but that didn't go over well, in its first week at least. Seems to be a down week in general.

P.S. Oh yeah. And another way to get people to jump in with the HW is to have a price drop. Nintendo might try one of those with the DS, eventually...I mean, it's been 3 years.

Eteric Rice

jgwhiteus said:
At this point I'm not sure those sequels would sell more systems, even though I'm sure they'd sell amazingly well. The thing is, if people weren't drawn in by NSMB, why would they buy a DS for NSMB2? After a certain point in a system's lifecycle it's hard to say what the "system sellers" will be, since you expect that they've captured a large part of their intended market. Like, with Dragon Quest IX, I'd expect there might be a few DQ fans who haven't already bought a DS for DQM:J, DQIV, DQV, etc., but that group must be growing smaller every day...so who knows if there'll be that much of a HW bump when DQIX releases unless they come out with a special edition?

The DS needs a game different from or bigger than its existing offerings to really push it beyond people buying a second DS / replacing systems / jumping in late, etc. Same for all other systems, really. Yakuza 3 sold well, but it seems mainly to existing owners. I think Nintendo wanted "General Knowledge Training TV" to be a sort of Brain Training to expand the market, but that didn't go over well, in its first week at least. Seems to be a down week in general.

It needs a new model, really. Something with a lot more functionality.

Nocebo

Pristine_Condition said:
It's not really that surprising as first week sales usually tend to be alot higher than err non-first week sales you know? I believe smash did 800k+ its first week for example. The top wii games have been selling for how many weeks now? (excluding metroid):lol

Blablurn

psp sales look great! But I wonder (again) what they are playing on the system. Anyway - it's great to see sony on top.

Eteric Rice said:
Clearly the Wii titles are disadvantaged, since they've been out for a while now. Yakuza just came out, this is it's opening week.

Your statement isn't inaccurate, it's just unbalanced. :p

Your statement is inaccurate. Two of those Top Five Wii titles combined I referenced as being outsold by Kenzan! are debuting this week.

And while the other three may have been out for a while, they are pretty well-regarded as powerhouse titles for the system which, as far as we know is still outselling the PS3 4:1.

Look, I don't like the Wii personally, but that doesn't mean I can't see and accept what's been going on with Wii's total domination of Japanese console sales of late.

The Wii is killing every other new console on the market. Period.

From that point of view, those numbers are surprising. That's all I'm trying to say.

Nocebo said:
It's not really that surprising as first week sales usually tend to be alot higher than err non-first week sales you know? I believe smash did 800k+ its first week for example. The top wii games have been selling for how many weeks now? (excluding metroid):lol

Still, the Wii is outselling the PS3 by nearly 4:1, right? So all those new buyers have to be buying something, right? And wouldn't they be more likely to be buying the two new titles and the three big, established powerhouse titles still at the top?

Nocebo

Pristine_Condition said:
From that point of view, those numbers are surprising. That's all I'm trying to say.
You really expected smash, wiifit and wii sports to do 180k+ every week? I mean come on. Smash being the youngest has been out for 6 weeks now. Metroid apparently never sells in japan (but is doing better than expected it seems). From a ridiculous point of view everything is surprising. 4:1 sales isn't a reasonable context at all. Usually the faster something sells the lower the attach ratio, right?
That's like saying I'm surprised every NDS game doesn't outsell everything, since the user base is the largest.

VerTiGo

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
streams crossing next week?

What does it matter? How could most of you not have realized that WiiFit, like WiiSports would end up becoming one of the Wii's hottest items. It's like once these "streams" cross Smash Bros. will somehow cease to exist, while it'll obviously outsell both previous installments in the series.

Vinnk

I don't think the DS needs anything right now. The current design is fine. It's still selling very well, and it can't be called anything other than an amazing success.

I say let the other systems have a shot. It was the fear of losing to Sony that made the DS such a good system. Nintendo knew they would have to fight to stay #1. I want them to have that same fighting spirit when DS2 comes out. If they think they can just walk into victory next generation we might get a product that's not up to snuff.

jgwhiteus

Eteric Rice said:
It needs a new model, really. Something with a lot more functionality.

I'd love a new model, and given Nintendo's history, I'm sure they're working on one (I hope they don't shrink it further - make the screens bigger!), but at the same time, it really does just take one or two well-placed games to revitalize the HW. Wii was really pretty stagnant for a while until Wii Fit came along, and I think we're far removed enough from the holidays where we can attribute at least some of that HW sales bump to Wii Fit (or the Wii Fit / SSBB combo) and not to holiday shopping, etc.

But really, what genres haven't been tapped by the DS yet? Nintendo and third parties have done a pretty good job of ensuring that every sort of random game has been released on the system (novel reading, cookbooks, RPG's, platformers, etc.)

Nocebo said:
You really expected smash, wiifit and wii sports to do 180k+ every week? I mean come on. Smash being the youngest has been out for 6 weeks now. Metroid apparently never sells in japan (but is doing better than expected it seems).

Um, if you read my original post, I was clearly talking about Kenzan! outselling the Top Five Will titles combined, not the top three. So no, I clearly didn't say I expected those three titles to sell 180K+. That should have been understood by you.

Nocebo said:
From a ridiculous point of view everything is surprising.

The only thing I see as "ridiculous" is the fact that some people are finding it so hard to understand what I typed. You clearly are falling into this category.

Sharp

Pristine_Condition said:
Wow, you are really worked up about me simply saying I was surprised about something, huh?

:lol

Wow.
If you were someone else people probably wouldn't think anything of it, but yeah, if you don't follow sales very much it's understandable that you'd be surprised at the sales of Yakuza. Big titles in Japan tend to be very front-loaded, especially in the case of RPGs, but with other games as well. Often, a game will sell like 40+% of it lifetime sales within its first week. Given that, the numbers aren't really that surprising, since Yakuza is a big PS3 game, and sales of under 100k would be pretty abysmally low. Actually, I'm surprised only Vinnk has called out how much of a bomba General Knowledge Training is--those are some really shitty sales. Not that people probably care, because it's a nongame, but still.

Nocebo

Pristine_Condition said:
Wow, you are really worked up about me simply saying I was surprised about something, huh?

Wow.
So repeating a statement is getting worked up now? Ok. If that makes you happy ;)
At any rate, I don't think you understand how sales work, even less than I do. I still don't understand what's so surprising about a popular game outselling most of the top 10 its first week. If you've been following MC even a little this is a clear and expected phenom. Am I correct in assuming that you don't follow MC too closely then?
Even the system that sells nearly no software (PSP) has had first week software sales that out sold most of the top 10 titles ( EDIT: combined).

Innotech

Banned
wait, so people are actually saying Wii Fit/SSBB sales are disappointing? Are they not seeing the same 1.4-1.5 million sales Im seeing? Because that sure doesnt seem like failure.

Vinnk

Pristine_Condition said:

Wow.

I think what people are reacting to is that you are only mentioning Wii titles. You may not have been trying to do this but some people will try to spin numbers in these threads. If that is not what you are doing then I am sorry.

It would be like if last week a Wii fan made a comment that said:

"Soma Bringer outsold all 4 top PS3 titles COMBINED!"

It is indeed a true statement, but there is no reason for it to be brought up. Unless that Wii fanboy was looking to anger the Sony fans. It was a brand new title and expected to sell well. And you saying that you were surprised to see Yakuza 3 in the top spot shows that you might not follow these sales threads as much as a lot of us, because almost no one else is surprised. It was totally expected. That is not a knock on you, in fact me saying that you don't waste hours a day looking at sales numbers should probably be taken as a compliment.

I just want you to know why people reacted in the way they did.

Lobster

Banned
Innotech said:
wait, so people are actually saying Wii Fit/SSBB sales are disappointing? Are they not seeing the same 1.4-1.5 million sales Im seeing? Because that sure doesnt seem like failure.

Nah, just one guy saying that Yakuza 3 beat out a FPS, a leggy non-game and 2 games that have been out for a while combined.

Vinnk

Sharp said:
Actually, I'm surprised only Vinnk has called out how much of a bomba General Knowledge Training is--those are some really shitty sales. Not that people probably care, because it's a nongame, but still.

Yeah. As far as I am concerned, this is the big news of the week. Seeing how much Nintendo pushed this one, I was expecting at least a 50k opening week. Unless this game has legs like the first Brain Training (or at the very least like Family Ski), this is a massive bomb.

14k wouldn't even pay for their constant TV ads.

I guess you would have to be here to realize this. But Nintendo pushed it as a main title and left Metroid out to dry. Yet the numbers...

Sharp said:
If you were someone else people probably wouldn't think anything of it, but yeah, if you don't follow sales very much it's understandable that you'd be surprised at the sales of Yakuza. Big titles in Japan tend to be very front-loaded, especially in the case of RPGs, but with other games as well. Often, a game will sell like 40+% of it lifetime sales within its first week. Given that, the numbers aren't really that surprising, since Yakuza is a big PS3 game, and sales of under 100k would be pretty abysmally low. Actually, I'm surprised only Vinnk has called out how much of a bomba General Knowledge Training is--those are some really shitty sales. Not that people probably care, because it's a nongame, but still.

Nocebo said:
So repeating a statement is getting worked up now? Ok. If that makes you happy ;)
At any rate, I don't think you understand how sales work, even less than I do. I still don't understand what's so surprising about a popular game outselling most of the top 10 its first week. If you've been following MC even a little this is a clear and expected phenom. Am I correct in assuming that you don't follow MC too closely then?
Even the system that sells nearly no software (PSP) has had first week software sales that out sold most of the top 10 titles ( EDIT: combined).

No, I totally understand how front-loaded Japanese sales are. I've been watching them well before I joined GAF or started posting. That's actually the one thing I like most about Japanese software sales...it's a real event when a title comes out over there, closer to how cinema is viewed in the west. Unless it's a super-blockbuster AAA title, you don't get that kind of response for a game here.

I'm still just surprised considering how dominant the Wii is in week-to-week hardware sales (new buyers have to buy software) and total install base that one PS3 title could do so well against it's Top five, even though three have been out on the market for some weeks.

Again, that's all I was saying, and I don't see why that simple surprised reaction was even that big a deal where I've felt like people were objecting to it.

Also, if you nice folks will notice in my original post here, I wasn't saying the Kenzan! sales were spectacular. Far from it. I said they were "pretty solid" was all.

Clearly, from the first two responses to my original post, people (likely Wii fans,) were reading way more into my post than I myself intended.

Sharp

Pristine_Condition said:
No, I totally understand how front-loaded Japanese sales are. I've been watching them well before I joined GAF or started posting. That's actually the one thing I like most about Japanese software sales...it's a real event when a title comes out over there, closer to how cinema is viewed in the west. Unless it's a super-blockbuster AAA title, you don't get that kind of response for a game here.

I'm still just surprised considering how dominant the Wii is in week-to-week hardware sales (new buyers have to buy software) and total install base that one PS3 title could do so well against it's Top five, even though three have been out on the market for some weeks.

Again, that's all I was saying, and I don't see why that simple surprised reaction was even that big a deal where I've felt like people were objecting to it.

Also, if you nice folks will notice in my original post here, I wasn't saying the Kenzan! sales were spectacular. Far from it. I said they were "pretty solid" was all.
The only somewhat "big" title releasing this week for the Wii was supposed to be General Knowledge Training, and that bombed (the Prime series is not exactly one that Japan has welcomed with open arms), while Yakuza is a pretty big PS3 game with a lot of hype, so to be surprised at the strength of its sales suggests that you don't follow Japanese sales very much. But since you do, I'm really not sure what you find surprising about it. The vast majority of the sales of the other three Wii games in its top five did not occur this week, but if you compare their totals they vastly exceed Yakuza. Like... on some level, I understand what you're trying to say, but at the same time, it's kind of like a Nintendo fan in the Gamecube era posting about how surprised he was that RE4 sold so well comparatively in its first week (though I wasn't around then, so it's possible that it was still outsold by some PS2 games).

Blablurn said:
psp sales look great! But I wonder (again) what they are playing on the system. Anyway - it's great to see sony on top.

The same thing i have been doing with mine.

I own not even one game for it. I did buy Hackers the movie, and i use it for watching video casts on my way to work.

VerTiGo said:
What does it matter? How could most of you not have realized that WiiFit, like WiiSports would end up becoming one of the Wii's hottest items. It's like once these "streams" cross Smash Bros. will somehow cease to exist, while it'll obviously outsell both previous installments in the series.
most people didn't realize that wii sports, or the wii, would be hot items...

Sharp said:
Actually, I'm surprised only Vinnk has called out how much of a bomba General Knowledge Training is--those are some really shitty sales. Not that people probably care, because it's a nongame, but still.

I wasn't surprised at all. I predicted long ago that it would bomb big on Wii. With the phenomenal success of Brain Training games on DS, Nintendo probably started planning some BT games on Wii long before Wii's launch. I remembered many GAFers said (before Wii's launch) how Wii and DS shared many common successful factors, and predicted that many successful game genres on DS would still be successful on Wii, especially for BT games. Now it shows that Wii is simply not another DS.

test_account

XP-39C²
How long has Yakuza 2 Best Price (or something like that?) been within the top 50? I think i've seen it there like every week since launch.

jgwhiteus

AnimeTheme said:
I wasn't surprised at all. I predicted long ago that it would bomb big on Wii. With the phenomenal success of Brain Training games on DS, Nintendo probably started planning some BT games on Wii long before Wii's launch. I remembered many GAFers said (before Wii's launch) how Wii and DS shared many common successful factors, and predicted that many successful game genres on DS would still be successful on Wii, especially for BT games. Now it shows that Wii is simply not another DS.

Well, it's not "another DS" in that it can't simply copy the DS's genres and expect them to work or appeal to people in the same way, especially given the different control interfaces and the nature of portables vs. home consoles. A lot of "touch" and microphone games aren't going to work on the Wii, just as games like Wii Sports aren't going to have as much appeal on the DS.

It IS "another DS" in that Nintendo's repeated its success in having successful "non-games" expand the userbase - with Wii Fit and Wii Sports. Wii Fit's numbers really are incredible - still in the top 3 3 months later, guaranteed to go above 2M, and it might go over 3M lifetime in Japan alone, just as Wii Sports is likely to.

So the DS's strengths were portability and its interface; Wii's most succesful games so far have emphasized controls and engaging physical movement (they also have succesful games in more traditional genres, like SSBB). So yeah, maybe people just aren't into brain games on a big television screen, but I think Nintendo will come up with something else to replicate that type of success, especially since General Knowledge Training was a dud.

Lobster

Banned
AnimeTheme said:

Infact core games have sold MUCH better on Wii than casual games like BT :\ Too bad casual games only need to sell a few thousand copies to profit otherwise we'd maybe see more good games on Wii..

Nice numbers for Y3, also does Nintendo not see Metroid as a big title in Japan? I know it doesn't do big numbers in Japan but I find it funny releasing it so close to Brawl.

Top Bottom