• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/14 - 4/20

Spiegel

viciouskillersquirrel said:
It's still tracking above the GC, right?

No

JoshuaJSlone said:
Based on the latest Famitsu numbers...

PS3 comparisons: After 74 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 17.1 weeks (June 25, 2000), where PSP was at 48.6 weeks (November 9, 2005), where GCN was at 68.8 weeks (January 3, 2003), and where Wii was at 18.6 weeks (April 5, 2007).

donny2112

Famitsu Apr 7-13

1. WII Mario Kart Wii 608147 / NEW
2. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 G 205907 / 1581873
3. PS2 Musou Orochi: Maou Sairin 64056 / 284496
4. WII Wii Fit 29360 / 1828549
5. NDS Pokemon Ranger: Batonnage 27700 / 427731
6. PS2 Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5 24211 / 104465
7. NDS Tottadoo! Yoiko's Deserted Island Life 22089 / 62709
8. PSP Star Ocean: Second Evolution 17981 / 108101
9. NDS Beautiful Letter Training DS 15191 / 146143
10. NDS Mario Kart DS 15055 / 2950632
11. WII Deca Sporta: Wii de Sports 10 Shumoku! 15031 / 122575
12. WII Super Smash Bros. Brawl 13855 / 1591697
13. PS3 Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5 11055 / 60718
14. NDS SimCity DS 2: Kodai kara Mirai e Tsuduku Machi 10821 / 96036
15. WII Wii Play 10469 / 2282008
16. WII Wii Sports 9649 / 2863389
17. NDS Crayon Shin-Chan: Arashi o Yobu Cinema Land 6710 / 63257
18. NDS Oshiri Kajiri Mushi no Rhythm Lesson DS: Kawai Ongaku Kyoushitsu Kanshuu 6288 / NEW
19. PS2 Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion: Lost Colors 5593 / 43936
20. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 5260 / 5142079
21. PSP Echochrome 5222 / 52697
22. PSP Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion: Lost Colors 5038 / 46342
23. NDS Mario Party DS 5013 / 1672154
24. NDS Kidou Senshi Gundam 00 5012 / 66278
25. NDS Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games 4568 / 293148
26. NDS Kanji Brain 2 + Dictionary 4445 / 222282
27. NDS My Housekeeping Diary 4297 / 475241
28. NDS Taiko Drum Master 4199 / 367557
29. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 4056 / 4634906
30. NDS Meitantei Conan: Kieta Hakase to Machigai Sagashi no Tou 3823 / 10451

*. 360 Turok 3100 / NEW
*. PS2 Battle of Sunrise 2200 / NEW
*. PS2 Shinkyoku Soukai Polyphonica 0-4 Wa Full Pack 2200 / NEW
*. NDS Shion no Ou 710 / NEW

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Mar 10-16, 2008
Mar 17-23, 2008
Mar 24-30, 2008
Mar 31-Apr 6, 2008

ComputerNerd said:
I don't think it's above any console from recent memory. Except maybe the WonderSwan?

I read on Wikipedia that the WonderSwan saw a decent amount of success in Japan, I forget how much it sold and how fast it sold though.

Innotech

Banned
nextgeneration said:
Where is everyone? ;)

PSP = 85,421
DS Lite = 44,551
Wii = 44,241
PS3 = 7,438
PS2 = 6,545
Xbox 360 = 1,076

I was playing Subspace emissary in Brawl with someone whos never played Melee. she held up pretty well considering the game was new to her. also, a bit of NId of course. Damn I forgot how difficult that game is.

sphinx

the piano man
Hero of legend said:
I read on Wikipedia that the WonderSwan saw a decent amount of success in Japan, I forget how much it sold and how fast it sold though.

I remember the WS had a decent first year, then fell into darkness and misery, I think the PS3 is going to achieve more than that.

I searched wikipedia for the Saturn's Japanese LTD but there are no figures...

Innotech

Banned
itxaka said:
does microsoft have a japan-oriented game released shortly?

If it sells 5000 more units next week it could surpass the ps3, and that could be history for them :D ;-)
xbox360 has already outsold the Ps3 one week last year.

ccbfan

titiklabingapat said:
At this point, I even question FFXIII ability to move consoles. How well did FFXII move PS2s?

Two completely different things.

FFXII was like the fifth final fantasy to appear on the PS2 (not counting expansions and stuff), plus is came after DQVIII so that fanbase have bought the PS2 already.

while

FFXIII will be the first legitament system seller on the system

Kyoufu

titiklabingapat said:
At this point, I even question FFXIII ability to move consoles. How well did FFXII move PS2s?

I'm sure people who wanted FFXII already bought one for FFX years before it though.

I too doubt how much FFXIII will be able to shift. I know alot of fans are waiting to eat it up but right now, PS3 is tracking behind the Gamcube and no single piece of software can escape the 300k curse.

If it sells less than expected, then I hope US/EU can make up for it. :(

Kuramu

FF 7 (lucky 7) sees the rise of Playstation
FF 13 (black cats, broken mirrors, Friday the) sees it fall
IIRC, Nostradamus had a quatrain about this

Ceres

Banned
titiklabingapat said:

Do you mean FFX? Quickly glancing it looks like around a 40k boost but overall the PS2 numbers were consistent with minor boosts outside of the holiday period. The difference was that the PS2 was regularly selling 40k not barely sustaining 10k.

31./26. [PS3] Armored Core for Answer (From Software)
32./39. [NDS] More English Training (Nintendo)
33./45. [NDS] Pokémon Diamond (Pokémon)
34./28. [NDS] Case Closed! The Missing Professor and the Puzzling Tower (Bandai-Namco)
35./32. [PSP] Echochrome (Sony)
36./41. [NDS] Kanji Test 2 (Rocket Co.)
37./30. [PS2] Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion: Lost Colors (Bandai-Namco)
38./33. [PS3] Yakuza 3: Kenzan! (Sega)
39./38. [NDS] Shugo Chara! Three Eggs and the Joker in Love (Konami)
40./35. [NDS] Time Hollow: Seeking the Lost Past (Konami)
41./34. [WII] Mario Party 8 (Nintendo)
42./47. [NDS] My Housekeeping Diary (Nintendo)
43./00. [NDS] Pokémon Pearl (Pokémon)
44./48. [NDS] More Brain Age (Nintendo)
45./36. [NDS] Doraemon: Nobita and the Green Giant DS (Sega)
46./00. [NDS] Powerful Pro-kun Pocket 10 (Konami)
47./37. [PS2] Gundam Musou Special (Bandai-Namco)
48./42. [PSP] Musou Orochi (Koei)
49./43. [PS2] Monster Hunter 2: Dos (Capcom)
50./00. [NDS] Dragon Quest IV (Square-Enix)

NDS - 30
WII - 7
PS2 - 5
PSP - 5
PS3 - 3

hardware.gif

*Adjusted LTD numbers from Media Create 2007 report here.

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. PSP   -    85,421 |    85,721 | 1,400,922 |  9,065,999
2. NDS   -    44,551 |    47,158 | 1,197,047 | 22,370,097
3. WII   -    44,241 |    46,296 | 1,190,598 |  5,806,757
4. PS3   -     7,438 |     8,232 |   373,563 |  2,015,234
5. PS2   -     6,545 |     6,834 |   190,898 | 21,117,938
6. 360   -     1,076 |     1,147 |    50,721 |    558,061

s_20080414.png

sphinx said:
I remember the WS had a decent first year, then fell into darkness and misery, I think the PS3 is going to achieve more than that.

I searched wikipedia for the Saturn's Japanese LTD but there are no figures...

Thank Square for the Wonderswan's short lived success. But once Square and Nintendo reconciled it was all over.

jgwhiteus

I think even if FFXIII sells a lot of systems (and I don't doubt it will), if it comes too late in the lifecycle, it won't make a difference to the overall success of the console. Sort of like MHP2G...there's definitely a PSP hardware bump associated with it, but the bump can't make up for the past 3 years and change the overall software-selling situation.

At this point, it doesn't seem like FFXIII will even appear in Japan until the end of next year? (and US and PAL even later). It might be too late for a bump to do any good for other publishers besides S-E...what use is the FFXIII bump to a publisher releasing a game 3 months from now?

jesus christ. Is that the lowest ever for the PS3 in Japan?

I'd also like to make you notice that noone has posted the weekly sales thread in Ps3forums yet :lol

Jammy said:
No MGS game in Japan ever passed 800,000. :lol And that was on the hugely popular PSone and PS2.
Yikes. 800k is a good number, but not what the system desperately needs right now.

I remember someone from Konami saying that they were expecting MGS4 to be a million seller in Japan and got the impression that it was massive there.

Yikes. 800k is a good number, but not what the system desperately needs right now.

I remember someone from Konami saying that they were expecting MGS4 to be a million seller in Japan and got the impression that it was massive there.

they were expecting one million in one month, or maybe less time. In another dimension they would be realistic expectations

Avrum

Kuramu said:
FF 7 (lucky 7) sees the rise of Playstation
FF 13 (black cats, broken mirrors, Friday the) sees it fall
IIRC, Nostradamus had a quatrain about this

ani-hamigaki-notes-full.gif

"Rise and fall, final fantasy indeed", end quote.

Kyoufu

Anasui Kishibe said:
they were expecting one million in one month, or maybe less time. In another dimension they would be realistic expectations

For Japan? I don't think so. I believe that was worldwide, which is very realistic.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mc-weekly-pie-73.jpg

mc-weekly-line-73.jpg

Things that only I might find interesting

This is the Wii:pS3 ratio over the past month:
==========
Lifetime: 2.88

Terrell

Dizzan said:
Holy shit!

Monster Hunter is a monster of a system seller.
Only if it's on PSP, though, right GAF? :lol

HK-47 said:
Doesnt matter. FFXIII is coming out for PS3. They have too much invested in it
I don't think people are worried about Sony being bolstered by FFXIII anymore, I think they're more worried about how much this could financially cripple Square Enix. And that sort of thing DOES matter to most of us.

Durante

Terrell said:
I think they're more worried about how much this could financially cripple Square Enix. And that sort of thing DOES matter to most of us.
Oh please, take the alarmism down a notch or two. FFXIII will not "financially cripple" Square Enix. In fact, it will earn them money, probably more than FFXII did (though less than X).

mollipen

I love you Japan, I really do... but your stubborn refusal to support HD gaming is causing some serious strain between you and I.

Durante said:
Oh please, take the alarmism down a notch or two. FFXIII will not "financially cripple" Square Enix. In fact, it will earn them money, probably more than FFXII did (though less than X).
Depends on how much money they've sunk into it and the other Crystal Tools games. If the cost of making FFXIII is substantially more than it took to make FFXII for example, it could leave them in a very vulnerable position if they only manage to (say) match FFXII's sales. Basically, it could net them a negative return on investment.

I suppose one way they could try to recoup their investment would be to use Crystal Tools on everything else they release this gen. The key here is profit, not revenue.

shidoshi said:
I love you Japan, I really do... but your stubborn refusal to support HD gaming is causing some serious strain between you and I.
I frankly don't blame them. Too much outlay for too little benefit in the opinion of the common man.

Is it me, or does the industry seem to be thriving on very few releases this gen compared to last? I mean, shy of the DS in Japan there isn't a large quantity of software going around.

jgwhiteus

Durante said:

? How would it earn more than FFXII? By all accounts, FFXIII will cost more, and it'll have a much smaller userbase to sell to...didn't FFXII sell 2M+ in Japan? The PS3 just crossed 2M total owners last week...and I don't know if the number is going to be exponentially better when FFXIII releases, or if the game will sell to 50-75% of the userbase.

I don't think S-E will be financially "crippled" (though it's not like it's never experienced financial crisis before) if only because the Enix properties all seem to be doing pretty well - DQ remakes are guaranteed moneymakers, with DQIX set to eclipse them all. But yeah, I'd be surprised if S-E was planning on jumping into another big budget extravaganza after the FFXIII series, on any system (besides the DS, where "big budget" means something different)...seems like it'd be pretty conservative in planning future games this gen given the sales environment.

sticksave

Neo Member
Anasui Kishibe said:
jesus christ. Is that the lowest ever for the PS3 in Japan?

I'd also like to make you notice that noone has posted the weekly sales thread in Ps3forums yet :lol

Yes there hasn't been much interest in Media Create numbers over there of late especially since the latest great savior Yakuza didn't do anything. I think I will go post these now.

jgwhiteus said:
? How would it earn more than FFXII? By all accounts, FFXIII will cost more, and it'll have a much smaller userbase to sell to...didn't FFXII sell 2M+ in Japan? The PS3 just crossed 2M total owners last week...and I don't know if the number is going to be exponentially better when FFXIII releases, or if the game will sell to 50-75% of the userbase.

I don't think S-E will be financially "crippled" (though it's not like it's never experienced financial crisis before) if only because the Enix properties all seem to be doing pretty well - DQ remakes are guaranteed moneymakers, with DQIX set to eclipse them all. But yeah, I'd be surprised if S-E was planning on jumping into another big budget extravaganza after the FFXIII series, on any system (besides the DS, where "big budget" means something different)...seems like it'd be pretty conservative in planning future games this gen given the sales environment.
Not that I disagree with your general sentiment but they announced Lost Odyssey when it was clear that the Wii had a foothold in the Japanese and WW market. Granted, there are other factors(title could have been planned way before Wii took over, 360 multiplatform development) going on, but the general sentiment is still there.

Terrell

Durante said:
Depends on how much money they've sunk into it and the other Crystal Tools games. If the cost of making FFXIII is substantially more than it took to make FFXII for example, it could leave them in a very vulnerable position if they only manage to (say) match FFXII's sales. Basically, it could net them a negative return on investment.
Well, considering all the commentary that Square Enix won't change platforms because "they've invested too much"... hard to say they'll get a decent return on investment with a game they can't change platforms on due to the supposed financial burden.
So it's time for GAF to make a choice: is FFXIII so low in production costs that it can make a profit on the absolutely abysmally-selling PS3? Or is the sunken cost too deep for that and Square Enix will need to pray that the PS3 has enough of their fanbase in its paltry sales to eat the associated costs of development?

Given what we've seen of the game so far, I know which answer seems a hell of a lot more likely.

Durante

jgwhiteus said:
I'm of course looking at global sales -- if someone claims that the game will "cripple" them it doesn't make sense to just look at one territory, especially for a series with massive global appeal. I expect FFXIII to sell more than XII in the US and significantly more than XII in Europe for a variety of reasons.

Also I doubt that FFXIII's budget, if you amortize the engine cost over all their next-gen games, is much higher than XII's.

Terrel I'm not going to bother replying in detail to your post, you still seem to be stuck in the x% fewer consoles sold = x% smaller game sales mentality.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mc-marketshare-pie-73.jpg

mc-marketshare-line-73.jpg

Things that only I might find interesting

Market Share Gains & Losses:
[ ] 360: - 0.03
[ ] PS3: - 0.06
[ ] Wii: + 0.09

Notes:
[ ] The Wii has gained exactly 1.00% since 01-27-08
[ ] The PS3 has lost 0.50% since 01-27-08