• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/14 - 4/20

kswiston

xs_mini_neo said:
It also doesn't help that FFXIII appears to have more of the same Nomura/Gackt stuff that has plagued the series for over ten years now.

Japan likes the Nomura/Gackt stuff. Why else would Famitsu readers vote Final Fantasy X as their favourite game of all time, and FFVII as their second favourite? Heck, they even ranked FFVIII higher than FFVI and FFIX (although FFIII-V ranked higher than VIII).

Worldwide, the three Nomura games have had better sales than any of the other main games sporting non-nomura designs (I-VI, IX, and XII), so I'd imagine that most worldwide gamers don't really mind him either.

Spiegel

jarrod said:
And what does genre have to do with it? Being SRPGs never prevented the same team's previous games from moving 200-300k+ units on secondary platforms before? It's not like it's an unpopular genre, and the team has a much better (sales) pedigree than say tri-Crescendo did...

New SRPGs don't sell in Japan now. Not even on NDS, look at ASH sales

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Paracelsus said:
Not really, no. VB on 360 would have done 40-50 overall, on PS3 it still has still a chance to break the 100k point, which is still low, but eh. Moreover this ain't a Jrpg, but sort of a srpg. Normal sprg do not sell on their own, figures an hybrid.

They should try to bundle it with some other game. >_>

:lol

They should bundle it with Resistance 2, that is "manly" enough for the western market.

jarrod said:
Yep... which is why doing PS3 exclusives makes even less sense for Japanese game makers. :/

Yeah... expect sub-50k here too when Valkyria hits in the fall. :(

Well, being PS3 exclusive is not a bad idea.

What is a bad idea is getting a subgenre of RPG that doesn't sell well, then release it on a console where games don't sell well.

I expect Valkyria to do MUCH worse in the states, I am talking about Skies of Arcadia or Tales of the Abyss level of bombing.

Aeris130

kswiston said:
Japan likes the Nomura/Gackt stuff. Why else would Famitsu readers vote Final Fantasy X as their favourite game of all time, and FFVII as their second favourite? Heck, they even ranked FFVIII higher than FFVI and FFIX (although FFIII-V ranked higher than VIII).

Famitsu polls aren't the Japanese market (didn't they have Halo 3 in the top-10 most wanted at some point, or was that another [insert hardcore magazine here]?).

JoshuaJ said:
I don't know if you're talking about worldwide or what, but in Japan there's a pretty clear trend. VII > VIII > IX > X > XII.

Paracelsus

jarrod said:
Don't kid yourself, there's basically no chance this one's gonna crack 100k.

A PSP-like game, Disgaea 3, sold 80k copies. I do hope VC does better than that, even just 10k more would be fine.

And what does genre have to do with it? Being SRPGs never prevented the same team's previous games from moving 200-300k+ units on secondary platforms before?

You mean Sakura Taisen games? They are famous, Jarrod, famous like the Super Robot Taisen series, famous like the Front Mission games. VC had big names behind it, but in those conditions I do not think that's enough. Go check the only games which managed to surpass the 200k copies sold on PS3: HSG5, GT5:p, Yakuza 3, DW6, DW: Gundam, DMC4, WE2008. I'm not saying PS3 users buy lots of games, that'd be worth a good laugh, but still PS3 is not in the condition to receive good sales from games which are NOT well-known. Moreover, someone said Valkyria was poorly advertised too, and that's the finishing blow.

Which by coincidence has among its best-selling rpg a SRW game, a Gundam one and FFTA2.

They should bundle it with Resistance 2, that is "manly" enough for the western market.

Nah, just do a spin-off with Largo Potter as protagonist, online mode, and you'll be fine.

Laguna

Banned
Aeris130 said:
Famitsu polls aren't the Japanese market (didn't they have Halo 3 in the top-10 most wanted at some point, or was that another [insert hardcore magazine here]?).

Looking at Famitsus polls (like "Most Wanted" games) you would think that PS3s and Wiis situation would be the opposite.

jarrod

Banned
Spiegel said:
ASH was Mistwalker, it was destined to tank. :lol

Luminous Arc did surprisingly well though considering, even if it sold less overall. And continuing franchises like FFT, SRT or Fire Emblem are all still putting up good numbers... saying Valkyria tanked due to it's genre is disningenious, it comes more down to the platform (where about *every* genre's taking a dive, not just SRPGs).

jarrod

Banned
Paracelsus said:
A PSP-like game, Disgaea 3, sold 80k copies. I do hope VC does better than that, even just 10k more would be fine.
Disgaea 3 bottomed out under expectations too though (NIS wanted at least 100k). And it had a similar first day figure to Val too iirc (wasn't it 38k?). Val might do 10k more, but I doubt that's really going to be considered "fine" given the massive gulf in production values and budget between them...

Paracelsus said:
You mean Sakura Taisen games? They are famous, Jarrod, famous like the Super Robot Taisen series, famous like the Front Mission games. VC had big names behind it, but in those conditions I do not think that's enough. Go check the only games which managed to surpass the 200k copies sold on PS3: HSG5, GT5:p, Yakuza 3, DW6, DW: Gundam, DMC4, WE2008. I'm not saying PS3 users buy lots of games, that'd be worth a good laugh, but still PS3 is not in the condition to receive good sales from games which are NOT well-known. Moreover, someone said Valkyria was poorly advertised too, and that's the finishing blow.
I'm not disputing this... all this really shows is a platform generally having underperforming games though, not that SRPGs are suddenly inherently unpopular.

Stumpokapow said:
Looking at my feet you'd see ten toes.

Looking at my mirror you'd see my face.

Well, actually you'd see your face. Because you're the one looking at the mirror and not me. And that's how mirrors work.

They show the face of the person looking at them.

What were we talking about, again?

Gaborn

Here's a statistic I LOVE personally, just because it shows the gap between the PS3 and the Wii in a stable way. With the current LTD of the PS3 according the Josh's Famitsu numbers (2,028,492), if you subtract it from the Wii sales after one year (52 weeks of sales, or 3,844,356 by his numbers) and you divide the result by the remaining number of weeks in the year (this one I'm less sure of, but I'm estimating 39, starting from the 59th week of sales in Josh's Wii chart, and subtracting the 13 weeks we've had then from a standard 52 week year) you get that the PS3 needs to sell an average of 46,550 units every week till the rest of the year to catch up to what the Wii did in one year.

kswiston

Aeris130 said:

Laguna said:
Looking at Famitsus polls (like "Most Wanted" games) you would think that PS3s and Wiis situation would be the opposite.

That wasn't a most wanted poll though. This was a poll taken 5 years after FFX (and 9 years after FFVII) were released.

Gamers always hype up 'core game X' before it's released (and then forget about it 2 weeks later). People do the same thing with summer movies. However, there's a difference between a bunch of 15-30 year old guys saying that Transformers is going to be the best movie ever a month before it's released, and STILL saying it's the best movie ever five years later (this is hypothetical. I'm sure few people will call Transformers the best movie ever in four years). Same goes with Final Fantasy X

Every big game is the best game ever until it's released. After that, about 90% of them are forgotten in a month. The Nomura Final Fantasy games continue to place high in lists like the one I mentioned because people like them. If the japanese hated FFX and Nomura's character designs, why did they buy 2M copies of FF X-2?

Pureauthor said:
Looking at my mirror you'd see my face.

Well, actually you'd see your face. Because you're the one looking at the mirror and not me. And that's how mirrors work.

They show the face of the person looking at them.

What were we talking about, again?
You wrote looking at the mirror. Therefore it is possible form him to view the mirror with an angle allowing him to see your face and not his own.

If he looks in the mirror however, he would see his own reflection.

Edit: PS3 sales are bad.

Jiggy

Stumpokapow said:
He didn't say "strong". He said 50%. "Strong" was my word, because 50% first day is pretty strong. It pretty much means near-full sellthrough of the first shipment in the first week, which is basically the sweet spot of what retailers like--broad availability but quick turnover time. I think "brisk" might have been a better word for me to use.

He also noted that this was a substantial improvement versus the last Summon Night DS game that did 13k first day.
Nice to hear. I want the two Summon Night games to be translated, and having the first one outperform Twin Age--which is already set to come out--can only be a good step in that direction.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Well, being PS3 exclusive is not a bad idea.

What is a bad idea is getting a subgenre of RPG that doesn't sell well, then release it on a console where games don't sell well.
Hmm? It looks like a bad idea to me from nearly every angle seen so far this gen. At minimum developers should go multiplatform with 360.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Dascu said:
Isn't this that semi-hentai game?
As close as one could be and still be rating-safe. It even has the Idea Factory 'touch!'

That crowd must still be having fun playing Idolm@ster. :D

Hcoregamer00 said:
No, it would have gotten respectable sales if it were a traditional RPG, it seems that Japan isn't too privy on strategy RPG's.
The problem is not the type of game. What was the last high-quality, high-budget SRPG hybrid you played?

Paracelsus said:
Disgaea has a devoted fanbase behind it. Valkyria does not.

Paracelsus said:
You mean Sakura Taisen games? They are famous, Jarrod, famous like the Super Robot Taisen series
The first one was not famous when it came out. It still hit over 200K.

Laguna

Banned
kswiston said:
That wasn't a most wanted poll though. This was a poll taken 5 years after FFX (and 9 years after FFVII) were released.

Gamers always hype up 'core game X' before it's released (and then forget about it 2 weeks later). People do the same thing with summer movies. However, there's a difference between a bunch of 15-30 year old guys saying that Transformers is going to be the best movie ever a month before it's released, and STILL saying it's the best movie ever five years later (this is hypothetical. I'm sure few people will call Transformers the best movie ever in four years). Same goes with Final Fantasy X

Every big game is the best game ever until it's released. After that, about 90% of them are forgotten in a month. The Nomura Final Fantasy games continue to place high in lists like the one I mentioned because people like them. If the japanese hated FFX and Nomura's character designs, why did they buy 2M copies of FF X-2?

Every Famitsu poll I´ve seen so far is very Sonyfriendly to say the least, so it doesnt surprise me that e.g. FF6 isn´t as popular as any PS-era Final Fantasy. FFX may be more popular by Famitsu readers than 7,8,9 because its setting was by far the most Japanese. That it was the first FF with synch. didn´t hurt its reputation either.

Aeris130

kswiston said:

It doesn't matter what kind of poll it is or when they did it (although you're right in that asking for opinions right after a release might not be the smartest thing to do). It's still a poll, and it's still being conducted through Famitsu readers, hardcore players/buyers of a hardcore magazine. It's like surveying GAF. They're not even close to representing the mass market or its buying habits.

And the market, for all intents and purposes, has bought fewer and fewer FF games since VII, and XIII doesn't look like it'll change this.

FFX sucks

Stumpokapow said:

i totally forgot we where talking SEGA and not a small niche developer. i don't know though, at the time VF5 was ported it made sense because the ps3 and 360 was still going head to head(in terms of what system developers favored NOT sales) in japan. plus VF5 is a fighter with more appeal than a JRPG. also am i the only one that thinks that Valkyria performed ok for its first day? has there been any reviews yet. maybe sells will pick up once they show up?

icecream said:
And don't forget Imabikisou and the Wii.
wat?

thats a port from the ps3 to the wii. which does make sense because the wii sells like hotcakes in japan. i was saying porting a jrpg from the ps3 to the 360 wasnt a good idea because the 360 is struggling in Japan. now if someone suggested the port of valkryia from ps3 to wii(if it is even possible) then yeah, that would make sense to me.

icecream

Public Health Threat
battleMAUS said:
also am i the only one that thinks that Valkyria performed ok for its first day?
A high-profile game that is selling on a platform roughly as much as it would have on a platform with a userbase 1/4th its size is not exactly the definition of okay.

battleMAUS said:
wat?

thats a port from the ps3 to the wii. which does make sense because the wii sells like hotcakes in japan.
Selling like hotcakes and selling software are two different things.

jarrod

Banned
battleMAUS said:
i totally forgot we where talking SEGA and not a small niche developer. i don't know though, at the time VF5 was ported it made sense because the ps3 and 360 was still going head to head in japan. plus VF5 is a fighter with more appeal than a JRPG. also am i the only one that thinks that Valkyria performed ok for its first day? has there been any reviews yet. maybe sells will pick up once they show up?
VF5 was ported largely for the west (it didn't even have a confirmed JP release initially iirc), if Valkyria gets ported it'll largely be for western markets as well imo. Ditto for Kenzan.

I'd say 40k is mostly "okay" considering the platform and market, but it's probably not "okay" from SEGA's perspective imo.

JoshuaJSlone said:

the ps3 didnt have the best view publicly or financially and most developers where having a hard time deciding which console to develop for. development on the ps3 was and still is expensive as shit. when i said head to head i meant in choosing which to develop for. whatever numbers you plan to throw at me toss em out the window.

icecream said:
A high-profile game that is selling on a platform roughly as much as it would have on a platform with a userbase 1/4th its size is not exactly the definition of okay.

Selling like hotcakes and selling software are two different things.

HIGH PROFILE game!!?? cmon even you can smell the bs on that one dude. honestly how much marketing and advertising was put into this.

also i agree with you that just because the wii hardware is selling crazy doesnt automatically mean that the software will follow. but wow at anyone who thinks porting a game to the Wii is a bad investment...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
battleMAUS said:
i don't know though, at the time VF5 was ported it made sense because the ps3 and 360 was still going head to head in japan. plus VF5 is a fighter with more appeal than a JRPG.

PS3 and 360 were never going head to head. The PS3 was on sale for 6 weeks when it crossed the 360's LTD and it hasn't looked back since.

Also VF5 PS3 Japan: 97k--I'd say it's pretty highly likely that while Valkyria doesn't demolish that, it'll at least be in the same ballpark. VF5 360 only sold 20k in Japan; a hypothetical Valkyria 360 would definitely sell at least that.

also am i the only one that thinks that Valkyria performed ok for its first day? has there been any reviews yet. maybe sells will pick up once they show up?

Compared to the retailer order, it sold ok but not great. The LE/Bundle pack (includes Valkyria, artbook, character figurine, tank figurine) has sold well although it's not sold out--IIRC there was 10k LE/Bundle packs.

But compared to the budget and effort involved in a next-gen game, 100k lifetime is not a great milestone--even if it is a niche game.

Xisiqomelir

Pimpwerx said:
Ha! Explain to me why again SCEJ continues to call the shots and gets the favorable game releases? The PS3 is a disaster over there. Hilariously disappointing. PEACE.

Because Harrison wanted to run Atari.

jarrod said:
And what does genre have to do with it? Being SRPGs never prevented the same team's previous games from moving 200-300k+ units on secondary platforms before? It's not like it's an unpopular genre, and the team has a much better (sales) pedigree than say tri-Crescendo did...
Those previous games you mean are 6-10 years old (hell they were first party titles :lol ). This new SRPG IP from the guys who made (and killed) Sakura Taisen is doing quite around what it would do anywhere else, probably it'll do better (and cost less) on PS2 but not much more.

Hell take their latest comparable game, Sakura Taisen V for PS2, just managed 145k on it in 2005, and it didn't seem to leave a good taste to its fans either.

Valkyrie is a failure, yeah, expecting Valkyrie to do 200k first day is delusional, on any platform.

PD: Oh, almost forgot, SCEJ better start releasing monthly PS3 redesigns if you guys want to see FFXIII doing the numbers tossed here.

Stumpokapow said:
VF5 360 only sold 20k in Japan; a hypothetical Valkyria 360 would definitely sell at least that.

and atleast 20k is a reason to port? i really am curious, not trying to be a smartass.

Stumpokapow said:
Compared to the retailer order, it sold ok but not great. The LE/Bundle pack (includes Valkyria, artbook, character figurine, tank figurine) has sold well although it's not sold out--IIRC there was 10k LE/Bundle packs.

But compared to the budget and effort involved in a next-gen game, 100k lifetime is not a great milestone--even if it is a niche game.

once again im agreeing with you. it sold just ok, thats all i wanted to say. hopefully sales rise when reviews come out (if they arent out already)

jarrod

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Those previous games you mean are 6-10 years old (hell they were first party titles :lol ).
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree it's a stretch... but that didn't seem to stop everyone from making identical NiGHTS or Chocobo Dungeon comparisons last year. :lol

Honestly, I think Val would've worked better (sales wise) as a PS2 game. Probably would've done twice as well and cost a fraction of the resources.

jarrod

Banned
battleMAUS said:
and atleast 20k is a reason to port? i really am curious, not trying to be a smartass.
VF5's port was for the platform's western potential. If Kenzan or Valkyrie get ported, it'll be for the same reason.

Actually... I wonder if Sega plans on releasing Initial D PS3 in the west? I can't imagine they'll rely on just JP sales after like six bombas in a row there?

Novid

Banned
It's damn shame on how far the Japanese Market has fallen.

Isnt anybody over at 142 West Broadway are not raising HOLY HELL on SCEJ right now? I mean im not a fanboy by any streach. BUT let me tell you, if this was any other era Sony Japan would have cut there losses. THIS era however im seeing is going to be the lost one. Somebody needs to go up there and tell them shape up or else. I dont even think its Kaz's problem now since he has NO control over the situation. SCEJ outside of PD and ICO Team rested while SCEE and SCEA busted there asses! SCEA went under massive reshuffling of their developers, lost a development studio...but at least they TRIED! What makes it worse, SCEJ is holding the whole frickin brand back. If it wasnt for PSP Slim, mercing them silly teens up in there, Sony would have been in serious trouble.

Oh and the real people I feel sorry for, It isnt Square. Its isnt Capcom. Its isnt even Kojima, Level Five, Sega, all these people helping SCEJ's sorry asses. Its Ninty I FEEL sorry for. Because the Wii is selling and because it wasnt even CLOSE to an HD system from that 360 and PS3... the 3rd parties said fuck off to Ninty since day one. Even Capcom half assed on there first NEW IP, and SEGA gave Wii freaking charaity cases for games. I never played FF, I only have FF11 because of the HDD so i can see replays for NFL 2K5... BUT man...man...when i see a nice looking game Valkyrie only sell 40k of nearly 80k shipped i get sooo pissed off. GODDAMN is right.

Let me be honest- after MGS4 i could care less what numbers DQ9 gets or what have you. I already planned out nearly 4,000 - 8,000 dollars of my own money for the new TV (Bravia 1080p f the haters), HD audio system (onyko), ps3 (80 gig MGS4 package), fios (for MGO) Because Kojima is worth the money. I dont know who else in this business i will spend THIS amount of money for.

And maybe thats the reason why nobody wants to get the HD consoles... Because there is no Superstar developer that the public would latch on to like Kojima etc...maybe the whole playstation era was an aberration to the whole scheme of things, i dont know. I just wish sometimes Sega got back into it, something in the middle of the road that is between wii and ps3 that isnt a 360...because these numbers, after two years would have KILLED lesser developers. Its a god damn, "god damn by god gene!" shame.

jarrod

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Thats one I passed commenting in the last thread...but come on, Trusty Bell PS3 has to be canned.
I bet it's just in limbo until the 360 window ends... so end of June maybe.

Makes we wonder if they'll bother with porting Idolmaster, AC6, Ugly Katamari, SCT3 or Vespiria?

Threi

notag
I would buy a new Sega system. Especially if it was somewhere between PS360 and Wii in terms of a featureset.

icecream

Public Health Threat
jarrod said:
Makes we wonder if they'll bother with porting Idolmaster, AC6, Ugly Katamari, SCT3 or Vespiria?
Idolm@ster is over a year old, and it's pretty much the example for DLC success. Plus they've continued it with L4U, so it'll probably not happen.

Ace Combat will probably wait for AC7 to be PS3 or multiplatform, Katamari supposedly has another version in the works with the PS3, and Vesperia is a guaranteed PS3 port.

Novid

Banned
Threi said:
I would buy a new Sega system. Especially if it was somewhere between PS360 and Wii in terms of a featureset.

At this stage of the game, Sega better think about it. Or better yet...have Sega's better teams on the board of SCEJ. Hell, they already are, just fucking do something other than 7,648...

jarrod

Banned
Dream Sega console...

-Lindbergh chipset (w/ 512MB RAM, DVD drive, 80GB HDD, WiFi)
-winter 2006 release, VF5, HOTD4 & Sonic Adventure 3 launch games
-M3, MD, SS & DC classic game downloads (maybe PCE too!)
-Saturn controller compliant
-$199.99

...I could've really gone for that.

Eternal Sonata is supposed to be released in japan this spring. i refuse to believe that development was haltered after seeing the extra work that was put in. i just wish Namco announced a delay or something...

hmm so there are rumblings of a Beautiful Katamari ps3? that would be a pleasant surprise

Vesperia better be ported.

Bioshock is coming too! j/k, no but my computer is an athlon 2500 i need this port to be real so i can playy. lol

jarrod

Banned
Actually, is tri-Crescendo doing the PS3 port themselves? How big are they, can they handle a PS3 port and Fragile at the same time?

Katamari PS3/Wii was heavily rumored last year, but no word since afaik. Namco/NOW supposedly halted the PS3 rev originally because they couldn't handle simultaneous multiplatform R&D on it.

Novid

Banned
Now thinking about it a little bit...a rebooted Sega system with Sony's backing would not be a bad idea. Think about this, the PS3 is no where dead in the west (dispite the NPD numbers) and Sony has strong IP's that work well in Yurop and the US.

But as for Japan, you have to think small. What the new Sega Platform would do, since backed by Sony- will have all the IP's from Sony's western markets, Sega's Games, all the third parties from both the west and the east and any newer collabs between both companies. Sonic gets to be a Mascot again, Sega puts its games on PSN and take over the majority of SCEJ. The GBA Sega games could get revamped on the PSP...and the new system uses blu-ray (i dont hear the PS3 version of GTA4 being piraited have you?)...and might have full BC with both sega's and sony's games from dreamcast onwards.

Just a thought...

Rolf NB

Novid said:
It's damn shame on how far the Japanese Market has fallen.

Isnt anybody over at 142 West Broadway are not raising HOLY HELL on SCEJ right now? I mean im not a fanboy by any streach. BUT let me tell you, if this was any other era Sony Japan would have cut there losses. THIS era however im seeing is going to be the lost one. Somebody needs to go up there and tell them shape up or else. I dont even think its Kaz's problem now since he has NO control over the situation. SCEJ outside of PD and ICO Team rested while SCEE and SCEA busted there asses! SCEA went under massive reshuffling of their developers, lost a development studio...but at least they TRIED! What makes it worse, SCEJ is holding the whole frickin brand back. If it wasnt for PSP Slim, mercing them silly teens up in there, Sony would have been in serious trouble.

<...>
Ironically, I think the most effective way for SCEJ to limit their losses is to keep the price where it is and not invest much in PS3 game development. For Japan, the PS3's 2008 software lineup is weak beyond repair, with the exclusives geared mostly toward western audiences. If GT5P failed to lift the platform to a higher sales level, MGS4 will fail as well.
SCEJ could ramp up software investments, but they can't turn things around alone in Japan regardless. They need a big Square Enix game, but we already know they won't get it this year. Failing that, they'd need to time their own releases to coincide with third-party releases, so that tangible entire bouquets of reasons become visible to the consumer.

And that's impossible at this stage. The only thing SCEJ can do is keep the butt cheeks firmly squeezed together and continue operating with a smile.

In 2008, a great battle will be fought in the west, back-and-forth motions and many close calls will be observed. Japan however will not take its eyes off the Wii for the remainder of the year at a minimum.

Top Bottom