• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/14 - 4/20

from the AYKWF (Amazing You Know What Forums)

"This isn't even close to being over. Sales of the PS3 in Japan will jump when Sony releases a Hello Tamaguchii (sp?) gimmicky version in hot pink with little cat ears. Seriously though. To state that the PS3 has already lost is a little premature. People were saying the same things about the PSP not that long ago and look at it taking off. It's the tortoise vs. the hare. People are looking at this with such a limited perspective. Sony's done this before and they're patient. The PS3 has a long life ahead of it and will do very well in the long haul. Over 10 years a console will sell more than one with a lot of initial sales but a limited shelf life. I personally feel the Wii's shelf life is little more than 4 years. By then Nintendo better be thinking about a new system and not the repackaged gamecube they're pushing on the dumb public. I'm not shy about my dislike for that console (Really people... Smash Bros... this is what all the hype is about? I don't get it) and I'd like to think by then people will be over this fad. Then again I don't take my own predictions that seriously and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Either way I'll be racing around in GT5 while Wii owners are putting around in their Mario carts. No matter what the sales numbers end up at, I'm good with that outcome"

he calls it a fad, after two years

nli10

jgwhiteus said:
Sega's "Dreamcats" isn't really pulling Nintendogs numbers...though I think if it's released worldwide it'll be one of those slow burners that quietly racks up sales (like the Ubi's Petz series or something)

In Europe it'd fly. First week sales are usually pitiful but as you say - over here the Imagine series (Babies/Pets/Trannies/Dolphins) are all 100,000 sellers...

Especially if it has SEGA sonic etc. unlockables, even as blankets for the animals.

Plus the title is a pun on Dreamcast so I'm sold :lol

ziran

PS3 sales..., well, ouch! Below 8K and no significant releases around Golden Week is just, tragic. The FFXIII spin off, 'watch the forum drama of its sales', is setting itself up to being truly epic!

Anasui Kishibe said:

"This isn't even close to being over. Sales of the PS3 in Japan will jump when Sony releases a Hello Tamaguchii (sp?) gimmicky version in hot pink with little cat ears. Seriously though. To state that the PS3 has already lost is a little premature. People were saying the same things about the PSP not that long ago and look at it taking off. It's the tortoise vs. the hare. People are looking at this with such a limited perspective. Sony's done this before and they're patient. The PS3 has a long life ahead of it and will do very well in the long haul. Over 10 years a console will sell more than one with a lot of initial sales but a limited shelf life. I personally feel the Wii's shelf life is little more than 4 years. By then Nintendo better be thinking about a new system and not the repackaged gamecube they're pushing on the dumb public. I'm not shy about my dislike for that console (Really people... Smash Bros... this is what all the hype is about? I don't get it) and I'd like to think by then people will be over this fad. Then again I don't take my own predictions that seriously and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Either way I'll be racing around in GT5 while Wii owners are putting around in their Mario carts. No matter what the sales numbers end up at, I'm good with that outcome"

There are enough Sony fans on GAF spouting nonsense in sales thread, we really don't need any more.

Paracelsus said:
Is there any way for this to surpass at least the 70% of the sell-through? Didn't they advertise this game at all? Goddamnit.
They advertised it. :(

SEGA has given the PS3 some of its strongest titles in a long time, and PS3 owners have responded with yawns.

Based on the latest Famitsu numbers...
PS3 comparisons: After 75 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 17.2 weeks (June 26, 2000), where PSP was at 48.8 weeks (November 11, 2005), where GCN was at 68.9 weeks (January 4, 2003), and where Wii was at 18.8 weeks (April 6, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 72 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 73.2 weeks (August 12, 2002), where DS was at 60.6 weeks (January 26, 2006), where PS2 was at 93.5 weeks (December 12, 2001), and where PSP was at 140.9 weeks (August 18, 2007).

I really thought Wii was going to reach a point where it was where PSP was at double the age, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen. Since the comparison brings PSP up to late August, it's just on the verge of the Slim explosion.

Based on the latest Media Create numbers...

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 34.3 / 65.7, bringing total shares to 71.3 / 28.7. At this week's rates PSP catches up to DS in 327.1 weeks (July 28, 2014). If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 156.5 weeks (April 21, 2011).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 14.4 / 85.6, bringing total shares to 25.8 / 74.2. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 509.7 weeks (January 27, 2018).

Notable things about Famitsu software pie the week of 2008-04-07: DS retakes the lead from PSP in software sales, though not by a large margin. The large margin winner is Wii with 48.8% thanks to Mario Kart. This is Wii's highest percentage yet, besting 47.0 the week of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360 is really kicking X360's ass this year.

batbeg said:
Well FFVII sales were higher than FFVIII and FFIX, and then FFX outsold the previous two as well. The first game in a series seems to sell better than the ones at the end of last generation and more than the ones following it as well.
I don't know if you're talking about worldwide or what, but in Japan there's a pretty clear trend. VII > VIII > IX > X > XII.

jarrod

Banned
kswiston said:
Like I said above, install base doesn't mean everything. The install base of the super Famicom was a hell of a lot higher when FFVI was released, than the installed based of the PS1 was when FFVII was released. Same goes with the installed userbase of the PS1 for FFIX's release vs the PS2 for FFXs release. The type of people who camp out to get the newest Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest game on day one are the type of people to adopt a gaming system early in its lifespan.

Now the PS3 has a REALLY low userbase. That will effect the sales of FFXIII somewhat. However, you're in for a surprise if you don't think the game will break a million with ease in Japan.
That still doesn't really address charlequin's point though... a dramatically reduced base will inevitably dramatically impact sales. We saw it on Dreamcast, on GameCube, on PSP and we've seen it repeatedly already on PS3 even. Sure FF might be a stronger brand than Mingol, RGG, Virtua Fighter, Gundam, Ridge Racer, Musou, GTPro, Disgaea, etc, but it's never really been in this sort of position before either, at least not exactly.

Super Famicom and PlayStation 2 were both predestined legacy market leaders, from before they even went on sale. And Famicom had supplanted itself upfront basically off Nintendo games alone (see also, Game Boy, DS, Wii).

The original PlayStation with FFVII is the only near comparable platform, and while FFVII *was* instrumental in driving that machine to market leading status, there were so many other factors driving the transition (chiefly Nintendo's draconian 3rd party policies and the appeal of optical media) that FFVII was more the straw that broke the camel's back for an industry that was already looking to move past Nintendo. And even then, the sort of attention FFVII was getting generally dwarfs what we see of FFXIII, despite the current matured and expanded market, that I'm not sure how anyone could expect it have any sort of comparable result...

jarrod

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
They advertised it. :(

SEGA has given the PS3 some of its strongest titles in a long time, and PS3 owners have responded with yawns.
Yep...

-Sega Golf Club
-Virtua Fighter 5 (time exclusive)
-Power Smash 3 (time exclusive)
-RGG Kenzan
-Valkyrie of the Battlefield

... next up Initial D Extreme Stage, let's see if it can break 100k. Strangely, I'd say SEGA's been the most progressive major 3rd party in terms of early PS3 commitments... they've done way more for the machine to this point than Capcom, Konami, Bandai Namco or Square Enix really.

Terrell

kswiston said:
I think Final Fantasy XIII will be fine sales-wise. It may be one of the lower selling entries in the series, but I'm sure it will sell enough copies to turn a profit.

Average game sales may be reflective of a console's userbase, but sales of the top games are not. Halo 3 sold just as well as Halo 2 did even though the 360 installed userbase in Sept 07 was about half of the Xbox installed userbase in Nov 04. Super Smash Bros Brawl will probably sell less than twice as much as SSBM did in Japan, even though the eventual installed userbase of the Wii will be eventually be 4-6x higher than the installed userbase of the Gamecube.

My guess is that, upon its release, we will see maybe 60% of japanese PS3 owners buying Final Fantasy XIII (and a couple hundred thousand people purchasing the system to play the game), similar to what happened when Melee was released for the Gamecube in Japan, or Halo 3 was released for the 360 in North America. That will translate into 1.5-2M units sold depending on how the PS3 does from now until FFXIII's release. 1.5M will be a pretty large drop from other Final Fantasy titles, but it won't be the end of the world. When you add NA and EU sales, I wouldn't be surprised if the game breaks 5M.

While Final Fantasy XIII is not going to save the PS3, I'm positive it will at least make S-E some money. Maybe not as much as they hoped back in 2004/5 when the game started production, but profit nonetheless.
You can't draw comparisons to first-party titles, man. People who bought a 360 KNEW they were getting Halo, because the brand is synonymous with Microsoft. Likewise with Brawl. With the dilution of the FF brand across so many platforms, it can no longer be stated to be synonymous with the Playstation brand. Direct comparison between first party and third party is impossible.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
cvxfreak said:
PS3 Senjou no Valkyria - 41K (34K regular, 7K LE)

GODDAMMIT.

I knew that this would happen, maybe the game would have gotten more sales it if were a straight up traditional RPG instead of being a strategy RPG.

By virtue of adding strategy elements they killed potential massive sales.

Hcoregamer00 said:
GODDAMMIT.

I knew that this would happen, maybe the game would have gotten more sales it if were a straight up traditional RPG instead of being a strategy RPG.

By virtue of adding strategy elements they killed potential massive sales.
I'd say by virtue of putting the game out on the Anti-Seller they killed even more sales.

Hcoregamer00

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'd say by virtue of putting the game out on the Anti-Seller they killed even more sales.

No, it would have gotten respectable sales if it were a traditional RPG, it seems that Japan isn't too privy on strategy RPG's.

It is worse because of the PS3, but I think that it would have received better sales if it were more like Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy Tactics.

Hcoregamer00 said:
No, it would have gotten respectable sales if it were a traditional RPG, it seems that Japan isn't too privy on strategy RPG's.

It is worse because of the PS3, but I think that it would have received better sales if it were more like Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy Tactics.
Maybe. This gen's really painful for Japan-centric third parties. It's hard to say what exactly will or won't do well, even on the "lead" platform.

Hcoregamer00 said:

I don't think it's so clear cut - the plattform does play a big role here. Then again, where could they've gone anyways? 360 and Wii probably would've been equally bad or even worse.

Jokeropia

davepoobond said:
DONT YOU GET IT?? FFXIII WII-EXCLUSIVE LOLOLOLOL THEY CAN JUST RESAVE ALL THEIR ASSETS FOR 480i AND DUMP ALL THE HD ASSETS LIKE THAT!!!
?
davepoobond said:
umm....isn't this already a given since, y'know...they said that's what they're doing with the White Engine and stuff?
Which, coincidentally, has been ported to the Wii as Crystal Tools.

EDarkness

What's sad is that I was at the local Bic Camera today and saw Star Ocean (PSP) in the bargain bin. I almost picked up a copy, but I need to finish Crisis Core first. :(

Vinci

Danish
Final Fantasy XIII ... hmm ... let me see ...

/gazes into The Great Kalderasha's crystal ball

Yes ... yes ... it's getting clearer!

Final Fantasy XIII will ... yes ... sell roughly 85% of what XII did when it was first released.

kswiston

jarrod said:
That still doesn't really address charlequin's point though... a dramatically reduced base will inevitably dramatically impact sales. We saw it on Dreamcast, on GameCube, on PSP and we've seen it repeatedly already on PS3 even. Sure FF might be a stronger brand than Mingol, RGG, Virtua Fighter, Gundam, Ridge Racer, Musou, GTPro, Disgaea, etc, but it's never really been in this sort of position before either, at least not exactly...

I don't expect FFXIII to reach the same levels as the past six games. However, I don't expect it to sell 300k either (even though that's where most big PS3 games are ending up).

As far as I can tell, the lowest selling (non-spinoff) Final Fantasy Game since VII debuted at around 1.7M and ended up with 2.2M sales. I think FFXIII is looking at an opening somewhere closer to 1M and a LTD around 1.5M in Japan (If the PS3 pick up steam it may fair better, but that's very doubtful at this point). That's a still a pretty big drop from previous games in the series.

As for the comments about FFXIII being third party, rather than first party, I think that most of the game's audience (that first weekend crowd) is aware that FFXIII is a PS3 game by this point in time. The main games have been Playstation titles for the last 11 years, and FFXIII has been previewed in various magazines, trade shows, etc., for two years now. Longer than the PS3 has even been out.

jarrod

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
I don't think it's so clear cut - the plattform does play a big role here. Then again, where could they've gone anyways? 360 and Wii probably would've been equally bad or even worse.
Actually, squeezing out a 360 port might've pushed sales another 5-15k or so. Plus they'd have 360's large hungry western base to look forward to... honestly, HD exclusives just don't make much sense for Japanese publishers in today's market. They really need to count on both machines (plus PC even) and spread the costs.

kswiston said:
Like I said above, install base doesn't mean everything. ... The type of people who camp out to get the newest Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest game on day one are the type of people to adopt a gaming system early in its lifespan.

I totally agree with this, but I don't think it's the factor that's most relevant to sales in this case. I agree that most of the potential buyers for FFXIII are console early adopters, but the sales we see for PS3 -- in general worldwide, but especially in Japan -- are much crappier than its predecessors' at any given amount of time after release. That means that while a high portion of the PS3 owners who do exist are likely potential FFXIII buyers, there's just less of a market for FFXIII in general -- any Japanese person who liked videogames invested early in the PS2, so that naturally included all the FF fans, but many of those people have bought Wiis instead of PS3s this generation -- there's no way every one of the ~2.5 million people who generally buy FF games new owns a PS3, because they haven't even sold that many PS3s yet!

(The short version: game sales grow pretty slowly with your absolute install base over the course of the generation, but they are drastically affected by your percentage market share.)

Now the PS3 has a REALLY low userbase. That will effect the sales of FFXIII somewhat. However, you're in for a surprise if you don't think the game will break a million with ease in Japan.

Where the heck did this come from? :lol My entire contribution to the discussion was arguing with Durante's ludicrous claim that Europe was going to grow FFXIII's sales enough to make up for the huge hits its US and Japan sales will take.

Segata Sanshiro said:

Probably even more damning than the level of sales the PS3 has fallen to is the fact that even those few purchasers don't really seem to want to play games on it. :/

Hcoregamer00 said:
No, it would have gotten respectable sales if it were a traditional RPG

It would? What are you basing this on? (Also: "This game would have sold better if it were some completely different game instead" isn't a particularly useful argument without some context to explain why being a different game would be relevant.)

jarrod

Banned
kswiston said:
I don't expect FFXIII to reach the same levels as the past six games. However, I don't expect it to sell 300k either (even though that's where most big PS3 games are ending up).

As far as I can tell, the lowest selling (non-spinoff) Final Fantasy Game since VII debuted at around 1.7M and ended up with 2.2M sales. I think FFXIII is looking at an opening somewhere closer to 1M and a LTD around 1.5M in Japan (If the PS3 pick up steam it may fair better, but that's very doubtful at this point). That's a still a pretty big drop from previous games in the series.

As for the comments about FFXIII being third party, rather than first party, I think that most of the game's audience (that first weekend crowd) is aware that FFXIII is a PS3 game by this point in time. The main games have been Playstation titles for the last 11 years, and FFXIII has been previewed in various magazines, trade shows, etc., for two years now. Longer than the PS3 has even been out.
Oh, I don't disagree with any of that... 1.5m total seems perfectly reasonable imo. I thought the argument was about FFXIII outselling FFXII, based largely off past precedent (which obviously doesn't apply to PS3 games).

Phife Dawg said:

Isn't this really the question we ask of every new game that comes out in Japan?

The answers are pretty much the same as always: if it fits the demographics, put it on the DS; if it's got the brand power to overcome the malaise, put it on the PSP; if it's got cute things or exercise, put it on Wii; if it's a niche game with high production values and a solid (but not immediately accessible) gameplay, give up.

kswiston said:

Well sure. FF is a bigger series than anything that's been released on the PS3 to date. I think we can rely on a pretty huge part of the PS3 install base to buy it, but at current rates PS3 won't even have 3m systems sold in Japan by the time XIII comes out. (Or SE is going to be sitting on it for a loooooong time if they have a target like "5m install base" before letting the game come out.)

Durante

charlequin said:
Where the heck did this come from? :lol My entire contribution to the discussion was arguing with Durante's ludicrous claim that Europe was going to grow FFXIII's sales enough to make up for the huge hits its US and Japan sales will take.
FWIW I don't believe that it's US sales will take a huge hit compared to FFXII. But let's just revisit this argument once the game has been released in all regions (and once I've played it, because you won't see me here until then).

Vinci said:
Final Fantasy XIII ... hmm ... let me see ...

/gazes into The Great Kalderasha's crystal ball

Yes ... yes ... it's getting clearer!

Final Fantasy XIII will ... yes ... sell roughly 85% of what XII did when it was first released.
FFXII's Famitsu first week * 0.85 = 1.56 million

The last games to have a debut that big were... *checks* ... Final Fantasy XII and Pokémon Diamond/Pearl in 2006.

Hcoregamer00

charlequin said:
It would? What are you basing this on? (Also: "This game would have sold better if it were some completely different game instead" isn't a particularly useful argument without some context to explain why being a different game would be relevant.)

Simple,

Look at the LTD for Traditional RPG's and look at the LTD for strategy RPG's in the same franchise on the same platform.

Durante said:
FWIW I don't believe that it's US sales will take a huge hit compared to FFXII. But let's just revisit this argument once the game has been released in all regions (and once I've played it, because you won't see me here until then).
I dunno, I'm having trouble thinking of anything shittier than US PS3 software sales. I guess war is shittier. And actual shit, I suppose.

We'll see, though.

Vinci

Danish
JoshuaJSlone said:
FFXII's Famitsu first week * 0.85 = 1.56 million

The last games to have a debut that big were... *checks* ... Final Fantasy XII and Pokémon Diamond/Pearl in 2006.

Zoinks!

/ examines crystal ball, sighs

Sony product.

jarrod

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Simple,

Look at the LTD for Traditional RPG's and look at the LTD for strategy RPG's in the same franchise on the same platform.
Er... so what franchises would those even be? Shining Force versus Holy Ark? :lol

Pimpwerx

Ha! Explain to me why again SCEJ continues to call the shots and gets the favorable game releases? The PS3 is a disaster over there. Hilariously disappointing. PEACE.

kswiston

Hcoregamer00 said:
Simple,

I can't think of any RPG series containing a traditional Rpg and a Strategy Rpg on the same platform where the Srpg wasn't a spin-off game. Spin-offs naturally sell less, so that would confound the results a little.

Laguna

Banned
Valkyrie of the Battlefield: Gallian Chronicles (PS3) : about 40k (about 80k)
That happens when you release your games on a hardly-core movie-playback system, Sega. ;) That´s your bill for ignoring VF5 sales.

Meccha Taiko Drum Master DS: Adventure in Seven Islands (DS) : about 32k
It seems that the rumors that this game would have a 500k first week shipment was completely false. It most likely will sell very good on Golden Week but the numbers look a bit low nonetheless.

Paracelsus

Laguna said:
Valkyrie of the Battlefield: Gallian Chronicles (PS3) : about 40k (about 80k)
That happens when you release your games on a hardly-core movie-playback system, Sega. ;) That´s your bill for ignoring VF5 sales.

It's not their fault is there's no other HD platform in Japan.

jarrod

Banned
Paracelsus said:
Honestly, the game probably would've done similarly on 360... 30-50k seems to be what most original 3rd party, higher production Japanese IPs can expect there (Trusty Bell, Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Idol Master, etc). That's not exactly a ringing endorsement for PS3. :lol

Laguna

Banned
Paracelsus said:

Besides that I was just kidding. Whos´s fault should it be? How many games did Sony publish this year on PS3 so far in Japan?

Hcoregamer00

jarrod said:
Honestly, the game probably would've done similarly on 360... 30-50k seems to be what most original 3rd party, higher production Japanese IPs can expect there (Trusty Bell, Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Idol Master, etc). That's not exactly a ringing endorsement for PS3. :lol

I hate to say it, but sales are dependent on the USA and Europe market.

The same market that hates this kind of art style. That means that Valkyria Chronicles is SCREWED.

Paracelsus

30-50k seems to be what most original 3rd party, higher production Japanese IPs can expect there (Trusty Bell, Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Idol Master, etc). That's not exactly a ringing endorsement for PS3.

Not really, no. VB on 360 would have done 40-50 overall, on PS3 it still has still a chance to break the 100k point, which is still low, but eh. Moreover this ain't a Jrpg, but sort of a srpg. Normal sprg do not sell on their own, figures an hybrid.

The same market that hates this kind of art style. That means that Valkyria Chronicles is SCREWED.

They should try to bundle it with some other game. >_>

jarrod said:
That still doesn't really address charlequin's point though... a dramatically reduced base will inevitably dramatically impact sales. We saw it on Dreamcast, on GameCube, on PSP and we've seen it repeatedly already on PS3 even. Sure FF might be a stronger brand than Mingol, RGG, Virtua Fighter, Gundam, Ridge Racer, Musou, GTPro, Disgaea, etc, but it's never really been in this sort of position before either, at least not exactly.

Super Famicom and PlayStation 2 were both predestined legacy market leaders, from before they even went on sale. And Famicom had supplanted itself upfront basically off Nintendo games alone (see also, Game Boy, DS, Wii).

The original PlayStation with FFVII is the only near comparable platform, and while FFVII *was* instrumental in driving that machine to market leading status, there were so many other factors driving the transition (chiefly Nintendo's draconian 3rd party policies and the appeal of optical media) that FFVII was more the straw that broke the camel's back for an industry that was already looking to move past Nintendo. And even then, the sort of attention FFVII was getting generally dwarfs what we see of FFXIII, despite the current matured and expanded market, that I'm not sure how anyone could expect it have any sort of comparable result...

It also doesn't help that FFXIII appears to have more of the same Nomura/Gackt stuff that has plagued the series for over ten years now.

Btw, wasn't Nintendo's stubborn attitude about switching to CD fueled by the possibility they would have had to pay Sony some kind of fees to use CDs? It's been a while since I read about that. It would be in character with their control freak nature at the time. Although I'm sure the Sony Surprise with the SF CD add-on didn't help either.

jarrod

Banned
Paracelsus said:
Not really, no. VB on 360 would have done 40-50 overall, on PS3 it still has still a chance to break the 100k point, which is still low, but eh. Moreover this ain't a Jrpg, but sort of a srpg. Normal sprg do not sell on their own, figures an hybrid.
Don't kid yourself, there's basically no chance this one's gonna crack 100k. It'd have probably done similar figures as a 360 exclusive, maybe 10-15k less overall but not some massive difference honestly.

And what does genre have to do with it? Being SRPGs never prevented the same team's previous games from moving 200-300k+ units on secondary platforms before? It's not like it's an unpopular genre, and the team has a much better (sales) pedigree than say tri-Crescendo did...

jarrod

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
I hate to say it, but sales are dependent on the USA and Europe market.
Yep... which is why doing PS3 exclusives makes even less sense for Japanese game makers. :/

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yeah... expect sub-50k here too when Valkyria hits in the fall. :(

Pimpwerx said:
Ha! Explain to me why again SCEJ continues to call the shots and gets the favorable game releases? The PS3 is a disaster over there. Hilariously disappointing. PEACE.

Because they own S/E now. And now "owns them" has taken on a new meaning thanks to the PS3. Woe is Square. No one told them to sell part of their ass to Sony when they weren't making record profits after you-know-what happened.

Avrum

Anasui Kishibe said:

I remember him, I used to read that forum a few months back when the board got uppity over whether or not the figure of Sony having sold 10 million systems or something was shipment or sales. He's very open about his "hate" for the Wii so I wouldn't take his comments too seriously; in fact, you'll notice in many of his posts that take shots at the Wii that he tends to undermine whatever focus his argument originally was intended to have. Just like above... he attempts to defend that PS3 isn't a failure but then moves on to why he feels [general, overhanging statement incoming] Wii is an undeserved success based on what he "believes."

Laguna

Banned
xs_mini_neo said:
Because they own S/E now. And now "owns them" has taken on a new meaning thanks to the PS3. Woe is Square. No one told them to sell part of their ass to Sony when they weren't making record profits after you-know-what happened.

SQEX just bet on the wrong horse, that has nothing to do with Sony beeing a shareholder (with ~9%).

Top Bottom