• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/23 - 4/29

So, had it not been for EA, Sony would have had no game releases for Golden Week?

Surely they must have known of this ahead of time. Did they really think they would dominate the market with no games? Really?

Kafel

Banned
They wanted to try their motto "the PS3 will sell even without games".

It seems to work in a little way.

Count Dookkake said:
No, because the definition in use has been corrupted (see also 1984). It is okay. No one is judging you or your group.

It is okay to be proud of your affiliations.

This all started as a joke. You got owned by ridiculing a behavior you indulged in. Get over it. We have much more important stuff to laugh at.

So apparently the problem is that I was working on a different definition of 'pride' from everyone else?

Okay, fine, I see how that would be problematic.

So, do you think Golden Week is gonna help Sony out?

Well, it should help them out in the absolute sense - it'll receive a bump in hardware sales like most other consoles.

Next to Nintendo systems, though, Golden Week isn't changing the market situation to any significant degree whatsoever.

pswii60

Rainbow Six Vegas is an awesome game, apart from the drawn out checkpoint system.

I'm glad the Japanese are finally catching on to this. In extremely small amounts.

justchris

test_account said:
Hehe i know :p But the comments earlier blamed Sony for releasing Madden 07 as the only PS3 game, but Sony didnt release this game, thats why i asked if Sony had something to do with the release dates on all PS3 games.

Well actually, since the production of Blu-Ray discs is a pretty small market at the moment, and since Sony has to sign off on the program before it can be released anyway, they do have some control over when it is released, if they choose to assert it. But it's doubtful they'd even try to bully someone like EA around. Pissing off EA is a bad idea in general.

ethelred said:
Wait for this weekend.
surprised.jpg

OnWarmerMusic said:
Three FF Tactics titles in a year, spread across three different platforms? There are not enough dancing gifs in the world to quantify that sort of euphoria.

I'm not sure what's good about them being spread across three platforms. I'd rather see three FF Tactics titles spread across only those platforms that I actually own.

birdchili

Eteric Rice said:
I just want some announcements. :/

More importantly, RPG announcements.
the (j)rpg situation for next-gen is terrible still - most of the announced games are far off and we don't know much about gameplay at all yet. the 360 is looking the best for 2007, but how long is ms going to bankroll japanese-made rpgs given current sales in japan?

jimbo said:
I also don't understand why the 360 needs to be stereotyped. It's currently the market leader, and it SHOULD get more rpgs than the other consoles.
sure, but the 360 is catering largely to a western gameplay style, and western consumers (and worldwide consumers who like that style of play). with a number of the highest profile jrps on the 360 being directly funded by microsoft, yet the system still selling fairly poorly in japan, one wonders if any third parties of note are going to make any exclusive rpgs for the system. i wouldn't buy the system right now for potential though.

curious to see how blue dragon sells in the west.

TheKingsCrown said:
Am I the only one who thinks that Wii is begging for Final Fantasy Tactics in some way, shape or form?
it's begging for whichever tactical rpg matsuno is currently working on. *all* of the systems are, of course.

Jon of the Wired said:
I'm not sure what's good about them being spread across three platforms. I'd rather see three FF Tactics titles spread across only those platforms that I actually own.
I'm just approaching it from the standpoint of each title being tailored to each system's strengths; ports don't always have that benefit. Plus it shares the love amongst a greater percentage of console owners. Win win.

DS and Wii. Wii and DS. The charts are getting really boring. What scares me is that for the Golden Week, Sony has nothing for their machines. WTF are you doing Sony ? It seems you don't care at all about Golden Week and so it will be easy for Nintendo to conquer the top 20.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
DS and Wii. Wii and DS. The charts are getting really boring. What scares me is that for the Golden Week, Sony has nothing for their machines. WTF are you doing Sony ? It seems you don't care at all about Golden Week and so it will be easy for Nintendo to conquer the top 20.

They are waiting for FF13
in 2008

Brofist

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

you mean had nothing, GW is over. went by so quick too, back to ****ing work :p

Jirotrom

ive been gone for a while and I just wanted to verify that these numbers were supposed to be released last week right? Or was there something last week I missed...Ive been moving to a new home so I havent kept up with everything.

Jirotrom said:
ive been gone for a while and I just wanted to verify that these numbers were supposed to be released last week right? Or was there something last week I missed...Ive been moving to a new home so I havent kept up with everything.

These are the numbers that should have been posted last week, yes. Last week was Golden Week (numbers for that will be published tomorrow, supposedly) and the data trackers were on holiday, thus we get those numbers now.

Sony is just biding their time. They're letting Nintendo dominate for a couple of years out of pity for the old bastard. Next year they'll assert their dominance. It is inevitable.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Jibber Hack said:
Sony is just biding their time. They're letting Nintendo dominate for a couple of years out of pity for the old bastard. Next year they'll assert their dominance. It is inevitable.

That is so brilliant, intentionally sabotaging yourself so that you could lull your enemy to drop their guard. Who are you? The commander of the Military in Iraq????

test_account

XP-39C²
Hcoregamer00 said:
That is so brilliant, intentionally sabotaging yourself so that you could lull your enemy to drop their guard. Who are you? The commander of the Military in Iraq????

iraqje4.jpg

Whats happening next year with PS3 and Wii is anybody's guess tho.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Cheesemeister said:
In case you guys in here missed it, it seems I managed to catch at least one gaming journalist red-handed:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154416

Fortunately, another editor at Gamasutra saw my post and handled the situation perfectly. So, kudos to owning up. Let's just see some citation where due. I don't plan to mess with the numbers in the future. :)

We should post the next Media Create thread in the online forum, just to **** with em.

:D

birdchili

test_account said:
Whats happening next year with PS3 and Wii is anybody's guess tho.

if third parties pigeonhole wii as a quick timekiller rather than an epic games-style box then there's still a not-quite-hardcore audience that is going to go to another box for these style of games.

nintendo is making some hardcoresque games, but they aren't going to be a huge draw for current-gen ps2-only owners probably - for wii to dominate worldwide it *needs* third parties, and it needs them to do things that nintendo isn't doing (there will surely be many attempting to replicate ns success as well, of course).

nintendo has the gamecube crowd (largely) and some new/lapsed gamers intrigued by wii sports/the controller. there's still a huge number of ps2 owners nibbling at the fading game supply and eyeing the new console options.

birdchili said:
nintendo has the gamecube crowd (largely) and some new/lapsed gamers intrigued by wii sports/the controller. there's still a huge number of ps2 owners nibbling at the fading game supply and eyeing the new console options.
Just how long are they going to eye? And will they then decide to jump on the PS3 bandwagon once it's 10 million behind the Wii?

birdchili

JoshuaJSlone said:
Just how long are they going to eye? And will they then decide to jump on the PS3 bandwagon once it's 10 million behind the Wii?

these people don't have a hot clue how many of each console have sold. they're looking at games, buzz (not necessarily the same as sales), and what their friends have.

obviously this year is critical - the ps2 has seen its last AAA title, with only a few rpgs in the noteably category for the summer (as near as i can recall, anyway). there are still many who are oblivious to the ps3s "bad start" and think it's the coolest piece of kit on the block (probably with a friend or two that were early adopters). one would imagine that the dearth of ps3 game news is due (partly) to sony holding back for a media blowout/relaunch/price drop/etc... sometime this fall (surely this is their plan given the number of devs that are working on ps3 stuff).

so much of the ps3 problem is invisible to these buyers right now (the third party support feedback loop), so they're still thinking the ps3 is the successor to the ps2.

the wii game library isn't yet looking much like the game library that got people to buy a ps2.

edit: it's->its (grrr)

[Nintex]

birdchili said:
the wii game library isn't yet looking much like the game library that got people to buy a ps2.
If Nintendo manages to get out Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy and Super Smash bros this year, they've basicly won the console war. 3 AAA titles within 6 months is huge. Especially with the added thirdparty and MarioStrikers like stuff. Nintendo seems to have a good shot at the number one spot especially in Japan.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
shaft said:
When is hardware BTW?

Hardware for last weeks sales tonight, then presumably software for this week on Wednesday, and hardware for this week on Thursday.

It's Media Create week on GAF :lol :lol

Hcoregamer00 said:

I just wanted to see what it was like to argue for the other side...

birdchili

PkunkFury said:
I dunno, the usual troll is that they are getting the same games...

hey - cut it out. i've been prettyxxxxxx extremely optimistic on wiis prospects.

wii needs the third parties: sports games, rpgs, survival horror, etc... the games that Nintendo isn't making. third parties will, of course, copy nintendos massively succesful 'new genre' games, but those old standby genres are going to still move consoles this gen.

Kafel

Banned
I wondered if Gundam is the most representative game of the japanese market ( in numbers of games released these last years, anyone has a clue ? )

When I'm not surprised the Wii got its 2nd Gundam game announced, I don't expect a second game from this series announced for the PS3 soon.

Jammy

Banned
birdchili said:
hey - cut it out. i've been prettyxxxxxx extremely optimistic on wiis prospects.

wii needs the third parties: sports games, rpgs, survival horror, etc... the games that Nintendo isn't making. third parties will, of course, copy nintendos massively succesful 'new genre' games, but those old standby genres are going to still move consoles this gen.

The sports games that have made it out to the Wii, however, have shown that they can perform just as good (if not better) than the versions on the other consoles sales-wise. Tiger Woods and Madden on Wii are a prime example of that, selling quite a bit more on Wii than PS3. I'm also thinking The Bigs should do well, as many people are itching for a baseball game outside of Wii Sports for the system.

RPGs will come along with the Japanese market that Nintendo has been dominating the past year or so. Square-Enix would be foolish not to jump on board. And then there's Monolith Soft that Nintendo recently bought.

Those genres are varied and shift many consoles, but the fact here is that the potential breakout hits like Brain Age, Wii Health Pack, Wii Sports, and Nintendogs came to life on the DS and the PS2 had nothing like them on its system. These games arguably shift the same if not more consoles to people.

birdchili

sports games was probably not a great example:)

my point isn't that wii is going to have any trouble selling a bajillion consoles on the strength of 'wii ___'-style games, but that there are a lot of pseudo-hardcore gamers that are looking for a diverse lineup of games in more traditional genres that nintendo isn't going to get with 'blue ocean' games coupled with new versions of 'hardcore' nintendo franchise games (mario, metroid, etc...)

there's a group of hardcore gamers who are aboard the hd train, but there's a huge demographic that isn't obviously being served by any new console yet. third parties are crucial to grab these people.

birdchili said:
sports games was probably not a great example:)

my point isn't that wii is going to have any trouble selling a bajillion consoles on the strength of 'wii ___'-style games, but that there are a lot of pseudo-hardcore gamers that are looking for a diverse lineup of games in more traditional genres that nintendo isn't going to get with 'blue ocean' games coupled with new versions of 'hardcore' nintendo franchise games (mario, metroid, etc...)

there's a group of hardcore gamers who are aboard the hd train, but there's a huge demographic that isn't obviously being served by any new console yet. third parties are crucial to grab these people.

They'll come. Nintendo's strategy from the onset have been to grab the causal/nongaming pie as much as they can to rapidliy build a huge install base. They know the software WILL come and that's when the real fun starts.

Deku

Banned
Neither the PS3 nor the Wii has a particularly broad range of games at this point, the 360 didn't have it either same time last year. It will take time.

Top Bottom