• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/23 - 4/29

Thoren

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
It does already, if you are talking about hardware sales.

If you are talking software, I would say never for the DS and 2008 for the Wii. No seriously, the DS is rocking the world but I doubt that we would get a flood of awesome western games on the console.

Sim City DS is good enough for me.

God Bless American gamers who aren't buying shit like Train Text Adventure Nongame #14

D.Lo

Eteric Rice said:
Come on third parties, it's time to jump on the bandwagon here. I'm tired of waiting for announcements. :(
They must be in denial. They've spent million on the tech for Tom Clancy's Grand Metal Racer 8, and they're trying to protect that investment by backing their losing horse until all four of it's legs are broken.

In the end all they'll do is kill the franchises. Franchises die, and new kings appear, it's happened before (Contra, Street Fighter etc).

Linkup said:
You know the Wii did come out of the blue, so expecting all kinds of awesome games from the successor of the GC is laughable. Also by now I think it's apparent that Nintendo launched the system backwards targeting the casuals and throwing a bone to the gamers, thus building a large userbase quickly that typically doesn't purchase as many games as gamers. Something like that.

Wii gotta be at 90k this week or nintendo didn't ship more than usual.
Except that the Wii userbase HAS purchased every worthwhile game in much greater numbers and even in many cases attach rates then every single PS3 game.

Eteric Rice

D.Lo said:
They must be in denial. They've spent million on the tech for Tom Clancy's Grand Metal Racer 8, and they're trying to protect that investment by backing their losing horse until all four of it's legs are broken.

In the end all they'll do is kill the franchises. Franchises die, and new kings appear, it's happened before (Contra, Street Fighter etc).

Except that the Wii userbase HAS purchased every worthwhile game in much greater numbers and even in many cases attach rates then every single PS3 game.

I just want some announcements. :/

More importantly, RPG announcements.

gimz

was gonna post after i read all post, but i thought its impossible since the pages of posts are increasing faster than my reading speed....

IN before anything happen :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Eteric Rice said:
I just want some announcements. :/

More importantly, RPG announcements.

Buy a DS (Nevermind, you probably have one)

Final Fantasy: Crystal Cronicles, Draqon Quest 9, Rune Factory, Luminous Arc, Rune Factory 2, Wonderful World, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 + many more.

Linkup

I sat here typing all kinds of clever and witty(not) responses to Thoren post, but then you realize it's pointless and just delete it all. I'll let somebody else waste their time.

Eteric Rice

Hcoregamer00 said:
Buy a DS (Nevermind, you probably have one)

Final Fantasy: Crystal Cronicles, Draqon Quest 9, Rune Factory, Luminous Arc, Rune Factory 2, Wonderful World, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 + many more.

I have one, I just want a console RPG on my Wii. Maybe something from Atlus!

COME ON ATLUS! >=|

Hcoregamer00

Eteric Rice said:
I have one, I just want a console RPG on my Wii. Maybe something from Atlus!

COME ON ATLUS! >=|

I know how you feel, the only console with a remotely decent lineup is the XBOX 360 and we don't know how well Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, and Lost Odyssey will do in the USA.

The PS3 and the Wii are getting NOTHING which is sad because an American console has more RPG's than them.

Eteric Rice

Hcoregamer00 said:
I know how you feel, the only console with a remotely decent lineup is the XBOX 360 and we don't know how well Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, and Lost Odyssey will do in the USA.

The PS3 and the Wii are getting NOTHING which is sad because an American console has more RPG's than them.

Eh, I'm not worried about the PS3 as much as the Wii. It's getting XIII, so they have something coming. The best thing we have coming at the moment is DQ Swords and Crystal Chronicals.

Hopefully S-E doesn't dissapoint this weekend.

Hcoregamer00

Eteric Rice said:
Eh, I'm not worried about the PS3 as much as the Wii. It's getting XIII, so they have something coming. The best thing we have coming at the moment is DQ Swords and Crystal Chronicals.

Hopefully S-E doesn't dissapoint this weekend.

Since a large percentage of my purchases go to Japanese RPG's (and a smaller portion goes to quirky games like Phoenix Wright and Dating Sims) I literally am waiting to see which console get a clear majority of the quality RPG's.

Unfortunately the XBOX 360 is the winner at the moment, but I would rather see a console I can afford get the JRPG's.

What is even more shocking is that a simple pointer function could be used to select attacks and enemies for RPG's. There really doesn't need to be a lot of change to make it work on the console.

Xavien

Disappointed in Nintendo. They have managed to get nearly the whole Top 40 before now and they didn't have a console out either.

Is top 16 the best you can manage Nintendo!?

legend166

If Square-Enix don't announce a new Wii exclusive at their upcoming party, I think I'll be ready to wonder how the hell 3rd parties manage to stay in business. I mean, what more can the Wii do to get 3rd party games? It's ridiculous.

medrew

..pakbeka.. said:
I wonder if any analists predicted this in 2005, I'm looking at you Patcher

Actually I remember an interview at E3 in 2004 where Pacther said he was most impressed with Nintendo and the DS because it was catering to all demographics and would do a lot better than people were expecting. I think he might have also had other things to say about Nintendo's strategy.
It's the only reason I still have a smidgen of respect for me.

edit: 2004, not 2005

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
medrew said:
It's the only reason I still have a smidgen of respect for me.

You only respect yourself because of Pachter? I should have gone to school to be an analyst. It appears I would have recieved powers greater than being paid to pull numbers and thoughts from my ass.

medrew

Agent Icebeezy said:
You only respect yourself because of Pachter? I should have gone to school to be an analyst. It appears I would have recieved powers greater than being paid to pull numbers and thoughts from my ass.

Well it's good to see someone reads my posts. :lol

Actually I went back to that interview and it seems Pacther declared Nintendo the winner in the short-term because PSP sales wouldn't start until the 17+ age bracket. And for there being tons of ports to it, while the DS got original content.

Don't know how I feel about him now.

ziran

Nice thread Cheesemeister, as usual, thanks, and thanks for the additional sales creamsugar.

Very good 2nd week sales for SPM, looks like it could pass PM2, it should at least equal it. One Piece did okay, with the reports of it selling out in many places it could end up over 100K. BBA hasn't sold that well but we won't know what kind of legs it could have for a few weeks, though I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up ~200K, or less, when all said and done, I think the game was best suited to DS, and a one off. Decent sales for Panel de Pon, it was never going to do huge numbers, but it could crack 100K.

davepoobond said:
only madden was released for PS3, who didn't expect there to be no ps3 games?
Having Madden for Golden Week just goes further to emphasise Sony's complete ineptness in its handling of PS3 in Japan. It's a joke.

acuul

ziran said:
Having Madden for Golden Week just goes further to emphasise Sony's complete ineptness in its handling of PS3 in Japan. It's a joke.

seems like they don't care at all, i'd like to be in sony-men heads to understand it.

test_account

XP-39C²
ziran said:

Does Sony set the release dates for Playstation games? I thought it was upto the publishers to do that and Madden is EA, not Sony.

Neomoto

Some random thoughts:

Awesome sales of Super Paper Mario!
Good start for BBA (altough the boxart is hideous! and how was the marketing?)
Top 15 for Nintendo, took long enough since last time! :p
Nice legs for a number of titles
Tamagotchi Connection: Corner Shop 3 6,000 83,000 | It boggles the mind to get from a million seller to this.
5 Wii titles in top 10? woah
HALF the (Nintendo) top 10 from third party's? :O
TWO xbox360 titles? All west oriented ones and again no ps3 title (lol Madden)? Awesome! :lol

Well this is a bizarre chart, even more so than usual!

acuul said:
seems like they don't care at all, i'd like to be in sony-men heads to understand it.
I know it's fun to talk about Sony like that but the truth is: Of course they care. They are bleeding money on it, are in trouble worldwide with publishers pushing them to take action. And I'm not even talking only about PS3 since the PSP isn't doing to hot also. They care, they tried, and they failed (at least for the time being). They can't do much on the situation, they can't change the price point, they can't change the actions of publishers and you see it even with the big guns like Devil May Cry and such all going multiplatform and the very poor software & hardware sales. They only thing they can do is trying to hang on with first party efforts (pretty much just like Nintendo had to do for a while with their consoles, except that Sony doesn't have the strong franchises Nintendo has). At least untill they can drop the price and when FF XIII and MGS 4 come out.

In the meantime Japan is a lost cause for them. Wii will keep steamrolling everything with more great games and more supply and such. Already they have almost a 1.5 million lead on Sony in Japan and 2 million sellers already in less than 5 months, all while releasing last, coming off last place from last-gen and with a unproven concept, unthinkable 2 years ago.

test_account said:
Does Sony set the release dates for Playstation games? I thought it was upto the publishers to do that and Madden is EA, not Sony.

What people are saying is that perhaps Sony themselves should have had something ready for this very important Japanese sales week.

Instead of an American Football game.

Vagabundo

kottila said:
What about porting the SE PSP game? Is that wishing too much?

Beeerg for PSP ports..

We need some decent Wii ground up Action RPGs (I dont care what the ratio of action/rpg is just DOIT!!)

Vagabundo

Neomoto said:
They care, they tried, and they failed (at least for the time being). They can't do much on the situation, they can't change the price point...

This is too true, they are between the Rocks (publishers) and the Hard Place (banks). Taking flak from both and cannot piss off either side too much, so they have to travel the steady course and hope the weather improves. Doing everything they can but mess with the price point.

jimbo

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:

If you're reffering to sales, what do they have to do with you or anyone else being able to enjoy rpg's on the 360? The fact is whether they sell insanely well, bomb, or sell just decent, that will not alter their quality one ounce.

I also don't understand why the 360 needs to be stereotyped. It's currently the market leader, and it SHOULD get more rpgs than the other consoles. It would be sad if it was the other way around. Just because it's built by an American company doesn't mean it's a rule that it should have less rpg's than consoles made by Japanese companies.

test_account

XP-39C²
bananabread said:
What people are saying is that perhaps Sony themselves should have had something ready for this very important Japanese sales week.

Instead of an American Football game.

Maybe, but afaik Sony didnt have anything to do with the release date of Madden :) That they didnt have something of their own for this week is another thing.

Pureauthor said:
I'm not 'proud' of the fact that I believe Christ was willing to die for me. Try 'humbled' and 'grateful'.

Semantics.

Pureauthor said:
Not to mention that one of the core virtues of Christianity is humility, and I'm not sure what you're trying to imply here.

Core values of a group have nothing to do with real world behavior of individuals (ie dirty cops, creepy priests, gaming "journalists" etc).

It is perfectly normal for someone to take pride in something that they have a tangential relationship to, be it a sports team, a video game company that is whipping its prideful competition like a dog, or a particular brand of "worship" to an invisible man in the sky.

Go team!

felipeko said:
I don't know why you people are laughing at Sony.
I bet if we had HD movie sales no would be laughing.

If the HD guys had created an over-priced gaming console and then got beaten by a system comprised of two last-gen systems duct-taped together we'd probably be laughing at them as well. There is always room for more laughs.

justchris

test_account said:

I know it's hard to believe, but Sony does actually develop and publish games themselves. I know there's no actual proof of that at the moment, but I assure you it's true.

ethelred

felipeko said:
I don't know why you people are laughing at Sony.
I bet if we had HD movie sales no would be laughing.

No one here cares about movie sales. This is a gaming discussion forum where we only care about sales for "Recipe Book," "Tourist's Guide to Hong Kong," and "Teach Me Manners, Mr. Cat."

Pureauthor said:
Because 'humbled' is just a different way of saying 'proud', yes.

No, because the definition in use has been corrupted (see also 1984). It is okay. No one is judging you or your group.

It is okay to be proud of your affiliations.

This all started as a joke. You got owned by ridiculing a behavior you indulged in. Get over it. We have much more important stuff to laugh at.

So, do you think Golden Week is gonna help Sony out?

test_account

XP-39C²
justchris said:
I know it's hard to believe, but Sony does actually develop and publish games themselves. I know there's no actual proof of that at the moment, but I assure you it's true.

Hehe i know :p But the comments earlier blamed Sony for releasing Madden 07 as the only PS3 game, but Sony didnt release this game, thats why i asked if Sony had something to do with the release dates on all PS3 games.

Top Bottom