• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/21 - 5/27

Innotech

Banned
Chris Michael said:
I just want less of this
castlevaniafugly.jpg

and more of this
Ayami_Kojima___Alucard_2.jpg
I dontl ike the top style, but Id definitelyl ike to see MUCH more anime-style/cute style in games. like Dewey. thats perfect. You can have your boring realistic shit. I see enough of it at the movies.

Terrell said:
No, I think his point was that people need to stop being image-obsessed and just stuff the "baby" and "kiddie" bull**** already, unless you all want the whole gaming industry to be Bomberman: Act Zero'd.

But the person he was quoting was not being image obsessed. He was pointing out Konami's perspective on Nintendo's demographic versus Sony's demographic.

Innotech said:
I dontl ike the top style, but Id definitelyl ike to see MUCH more anime-style/cute style in games. like Dewey. thats perfect. You can have your boring realistic shit. I see enough of it at the movies.

Ayami_Kojima___Alucard_2.jpg

Right. Realistic. See that kind of shit at the movies all the time.

Their 'kiddu animu' art style certainly isn't hurting the game sales - they don't have any reason to change it beyond the disgruntled whinings of a few fans.

Sharp

God, I know you guys are Nintendo fans and so am I but STOP DEFENDING THE SHITTY ANIME IGA CASTLEVANIA STYLE.

Sharp said:
God, I know you guys are Nintendo fans and so am I but STOP DEFENDING THE SHITTY ANIME IGA CASTLEVANIA STYLE.
Why not? I don't see anything wrong with the art style, given that it makes no difference to the gameplay whatsoever. Seriously, look at the ingame sprites/models and animations - they're still in the SOTN style.

The only thing that changes are ingame cutscenes and cover art - things that were never a draw for the series anyway. Seriously, why do you play Castlevania anyway? You cannot tell me it's for the engrossing, coherent and consistent story, the snappy dialogue or for the cover art/cutscenes.

Sharp

vicious_killer_squirrel said:
Why not? I don't see anything wrong with the art style, given that it makes no difference to the gameplay whatsoever. Seriously, look at the ingame sprites/models and animations - they're still in the SOTN style.

The only thing that changes are ingame cutscenes and cover art - things that were never a draw for the series anyway. Seriously, why do you play Castlevania anyway? You cannot tell me it's for the engrossing, coherent and consistent story, the snappy dialogue or for the cover art/cutscenes.
That style used to be what made Castlevania unique. I can get the gameplay from the latest Castlevanias, minus the RPG elements, in Super Metroid, and get it better, I can get the RPG elements plus the style in SotN, and I can get badly drawn anime nearly anywhere, so I've no incentive to play them. And just because a style doesn't make the gameplay worse (though Iga may) doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with it.
Terrell said:
Why are we even discussing Metroidvania anyways? Until Konami actually does something about the way the game plays instead of constructing monstrocities from the befouled remains of Symphony of the Night, its visual presentation should be the last thing on our minds.
Fair enough.

Terrell

Sharp said:
Why are we even discussing Metroidvania anyways? Until Konami actually does something about the way the game plays instead of constructing monstrosities from the befouled remains of Symphony of the Night, its visual presentation should be the last thing on our minds.

Innotech

Banned
I stopped playing Castlevania at III. It got boring after that.
Actually 2 sucked too. its seriously a franchise that needs to die.
And when I refer to anime style, Im tlaking about Japanese RPG style art and when Im talking about cute, Im tlaking about the wind Waker/Dewey/Zack and wiki style. thats exactly what I was hoping for and Im more than thrilled to see a ton of wii games using it. Grittier style fits the other two consoles better.

Not for PoR. Portrait's INGAME SPRITES I could even tell got a hit from its shitty artstyle. It was... just so colorful.

**** you Konami. :(

What's with all the hate for Metroidvania? I really like what they've done with the series. DoS was by far the best DS game for a really long time and they at least take the edge off until Nintendo finally decides to give us Metroid Dread.

Metroidvania is an awesome gameplay formula. If the only differentiating factor was the art, then you really need to examine why you're playing in the first place.

Sharp

What's with all the hate for Metroidvania? I really like what they've done with the series. DoS was by far the best DS game for a really long time and they at least take the edge off until Nintendo finally decides to give us Metroid Dread.

Metroidvania is an awesome gameplay formula. If the only differentiating factor was the art, then you really need to examine why you're playing in the first place.
Normally I don't. I just replay Super Metroid over and over and over because it's that awesome.

Sharp said:
Normally I don't. I just replay Super Metroid over and over and over because it's that awesome.
I do too...
but half the fun is exploring a new castle/planet. Something you can't just get from Super Metroid anymore.

EDIT: I have to admit, I've not played PoR yet. Too many good DS games and not enough time/money. Still, I wouldn't be fussed at all about the colourful character models, but that's just me.

Innotech

Banned
Chris Michael said:
Not for PoR. Portrait's INGAME SPRITES I could even tell got a hit from its shitty artstyle. It was... just so colorful.

Color is so ****ing horrible. pale monochrome shades of grey are preferable amirite?

Why are we even arguing about Castlevania and its art when the board itself is deteriorating to posts of complaining and using the word s**t for no justifiable reason whatsoever.

Clean up your language first, then try to logically discuss something. Some of us don't like to scroll down each message to see profanities capitalized and bolded for the sake of it. Find a euphemism or something

LCGeek

formerly sane
Innotech said:
I stopped playing Castlevania at III. It got boring after that.
Actually 2 sucked too. its seriously a franchise that needs to die.
And when I refer to anime style, Im tlaking about Japanese RPG style art and when Im talking about cute, Im tlaking about the wind Waker/Dewey/Zack and wiki style. thats exactly what I was hoping for and Im more than thrilled to see a ton of wii games using it. Grittier style fits the other two consoles better.

Series peaked with 3 and Rondo everything since has been nothing more than an improvement on what those established. 2 didn't suck as much as the translating and hinting system was abysmal konami if anything should redo it, 4 is pretty much a remake of the first and the ts games are nothing more template gameplay with a new coat of paint each time. I still like the series but it's become stale in a lot fo respects.

Creamsugar them famitsu stats are crazy especially the DSL 600k for a month wow.

Deku

Banned
The series continue to have a strong following stateside and the sales of the DS and GBA games are pretty good.

In Japan however, the franchise is on lifesupport and may be the reason why the entire franchise is on a holding pattern. The IP, and gameplay formulae is being milked for profits.

Wiitard

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
No, that's not right.

As a stick: "You can't release DS games unless you release Wii games."
As a carrot: "We'll waive 50% of your DS publication fees if you release Wii games."

My point was that "your licencing fees for DS will be $1 per game sold more if you don't release a game for Wii" can exactly the same as "you licencing fees will be $1 lower per DS game sold if you release a game for Wii" - different frasing of exactly same policy.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Chris Michael said:

Wow, so you are now ripping on the sprites.

Those tiny ass little sprites that could be interchanged with something from the 1990's.

Mar

Chris Michael said:

Count me in on the Castlevania anime style hating party.

They should give the Castlevania license to Team Silent and let them create the next game.

A ridiculous notion, but I actually think they could make a damn good Castlevania.

Epiphyte

Vinnk said:
SO what should I look for this week for the Vinnk's Village report?
RE4 seems to be the only notable release this week. I'd be curious to know how it sold versus it's shipment.

Vinnk said:
SO what should I look for this week for the Vinnk's Village report?
I wouldn't mind just one more update on Ouendan 2's progress. Maybe some of the retailers had a change of heart...

One last thought on Castlevania, I'm surprised no one's mentioned the dialogue: "What is man? Just a miserable pile of secrets... but enough talk. Have at you!". Seriously, no one should kid themselves into thinking the Castlevania series is high art. They are fun games that follow the Metroidvania formula, nothing more. Nothing of any real worth (in that it elevates the soul of man to a place it had previously not been) is being compromised or sacrficed by an animu art style. All I'm saying is that we're not talking about the Mona Lisa or the Divine Comedy here.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Wiitard said:
My point was that "your licencing fees for DS will be $1 per game sold more if you don't release a game for Wii" can exactly the same as "you licencing fees will be $1 lower per DS game sold if you release a game for Wii" - different frasing of exactly same policy.
Except the former is bullying while the latter is giving incentives. There's a huge difference there.

ethelred

Link said:
Except the former is bullying while the latter is giving incentives. There's a huge difference there.

the difference between giving somebody money and beating the crap out of them and stealing their wallet is semantics at best.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wiitard said:

No, it's not.

If you current policy is that DS licencing fees are $15 per game, the first plan makes them $16 if you don't publish for the Wii and $15 if you do. The second plan makes them $15 if you don't publish for the Wii and $14 if you do.

The stick is like if Nintendo enacts a "tax" and then exempts compliant developers, the carrot is like if Nintendo does nothing but just gives a bonus to compliant developers.

No matter how you implement it, you pay one dollar less if you publish for the Wii, but what you actually pay on the absolute scale is different.

Link

The Autumn Wind
ethelred said:
the difference between giving somebody money and beating the crap out of them and stealing their wallet is semantics at best.
That doesn't even make sense.

One option is Nintendo telling devs they'll be charged a higher royalty fee for DS games if they don't make Wii games. The other is telling them they'll be charged a lower royalty fee if they make Wii games.

That means if the standard fee is $10, the first scenario makes DS royalty fees $11, while the second makes them $9.

EDIT - What Stumpokapow said.

Deku

Banned
:lol the carrot and stick is really just a figure of speech. They could have any number of business arrangements that are privileged between publishers and the hardware manufacturers.

Every manufacturers do this, some have more leverage than others.

ethelred

Link said:
That doesn't even make sense.

One option is Nintendo telling devs they'll be charged a higher royalty fee for DS games if they don't make Wii games. The other is telling them they'll be charged a lower royalty fee if they make Wii games.

That means if the standard fee is $10, the first scenario makes DS royalty fees $11, while the second makes them $9.

EDIT - What Stumpokapow said.

I don't understand.

donny2112

Famitsu May 14-20

1. PS2 Shining Wind 83250 / NEW
2. NDS Ouendan 2 62936 / NEW
3. PS2 Odin Sphere 60820 / NEW
4. PSP Final Fantasy Tactics: The Lion War 46781 / 216549
5. WII Wii Sports 24824 / 1509773
6. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 21895 / 4490836
7. WII Super Paper Mario 21377 / 378867
8. NDS Momotarou Dentetsu DS: Tokyo & Japan 20003 / 178131
9. NDS FFXII: Revenant Wings 19093 / 459009
10. NDS Brain Training 2 19032 / 4352706
11. WII Gentle Brain Training Wii 18206 / 141524
12. WII Wii Play 15907 / 1206032
13. NDS Mario Kart DS 15447 / 2157637
14. NDS Ace Attorney 4 15163 / 406514
15. NDS More English Training 14979 / 230796
16. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 14586 / 4100157
17. NDS Yoshi's Island DS 14512 / 723264
18. NDS Brain Training 12998 / 3302182
19. NDS Custom Beat Battle Draglade 12908 / NEW
20. NDS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 12465 / 5122304
21. NDS Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis 10898 / 229876
22. NDS Panel de Pon DS 10579 / 92943
23. NDS Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village 10211 / 527990
24. NDS English Training 10201 / 1785517
25. NDS General Knowledge Training 8061 / 1403277
26. WII One Piece: Unlimited Adventure 7271 / 66618
27. NDS Word Puzzle Mojipittan DS 7221 / 277181
28. NDS Kanji Brain 6655 / 425569
29. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 6281 / 1195228
30. NDS Nodame Cantabile 6270 / 70320

Anyone know why it shows One Piece Wii as being #22 two weeks ago, when it was actually #15 that week? Maybe it's just a mistake?

13 straight DS games from #13-#25. :)

radcliff

Iga said the reason for the "kiddy" anime style was that he found the Castlevania audience was made up mostly of older, hardcore gamers. The art style was changed in an effort to attract more, younger gamers.

Wiitard

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
No, it's not.

If you current policy is that DS licencing fees are $15 per game, the first plan makes them $16 if you don't publish for the Wii and $15 if you do. The second plan makes them $15 if you don't publish for the Wii and $14 if you do.

The stick is like if Nintendo enacts a "tax" and then exempts compliant developers, the carrot is like if Nintendo does nothing but just gives a bonus to compliant developers.

No matter how you implement it, you pay one dollar less if you publish for the Wii, but what you actually pay on the absolute scale is different.

If you are starting from the same base, yes, it leads to different results. But with different bases, the second scheme leads to same tax. What really matters is the difference in licencing fees between publishers who choose to publish for Wii vs those who did not and not the way they arrived at it.

Would you rather save $10 you were going to lose or gain $10? A business should be indifferent between these two choices.

The absolute level of licencing fees sure is important - it determines if games are published in the first place or not. But to see for leveraging the DS what matters is the difference in fees between compliant and non-compliant developers.

Top Bottom