• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/28 - 6/3

Wiitard

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Biohazard (SS) - 68,130
Biohazard Director's Cut Dual Shock Version - 54,872
Biohazard 4 Wii Edition - 50,000

Would be kinda interesting to know how much this other games ended up selling worldwide.

That said, Japan Wii base if by very far the least hardcore and least likely to buy games among the 3 major markets. So if it ends up being even close to 100,000 in Japan, does not seem unreasonable to expect half a million worldwide.

Will SPM and RE4 silence the 'Wii owners don't like games" bullshit?

No, they won't.

I really doubt RE will have legs.

Why isn't Wii shipping more to Japan with the increase production? Is it because Nintendo knows they won there?

Wiitard said:
Would be kinda interesting to know how much this other games ended up selling worldwide.

That said, Japan Wii base if by very far the least hardcore and least likely to buy games among the 3 major markets. So if it ends up being even close to 100,000 in Japan, does not seem unreasonable to expect half a million worldwide.

I think around 500,000 would be a good return for this game. Plus, when you think about it, it's not as if development would have cost much, since it's a straight port with little added to it.

Evlar

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:

No, they won't.

Why isn't Wii shipping more to Japan with the increase production? Is it because Nintendo knows they won there?
I think it's because they're already stockpiling for the big releases in the fall and for the holiday season. Skimming ten to twenty thousand off a week, per territory.

AdmiralViscen said:

No, they won't.

Likely that's what's wrong. The US market still faces stiff competition from the 360.

andthebeatgoeson

AdmiralViscen said:

I think Europe is getting the bulk of the extra shipments. If they went from 1 million a month to 1.25 million, it's really not a whole lot extra. Split into 4 weeks, it's 62K extra a week. Split that into 3 regions and it's only 20K extra. Maybe they just upped Europe.

Wiitard

Banned
Alkaliine said:
I think around 500,000 would be a good return for this game. Plus, when you think about it, it's not as if development would have cost much, since it's a straight port with little added to it.

At half a million, it would make something like $10-12 (assuming that they make $20 per copy in US and more abroad). Dev costs of the port + mmarketing. Let's say 2 million.

Now, let's compare this with Lost Planet. A million copies sold. $50 per copy. $20 mil for developmentt. $20 mil for marketing. We get profits in the same ballpark. Not too shabby.

RiskyChris said:
Likely that's what's wrong. The US market still faces stiff competition from the 360.

Stiff competition? You must be speaking relative to other markets. Wii is not facing nearly the level of competition PS2 was facing in US in the console space.

Mardak

All things up on the Nintendo front.

20070528.png

20070528.pub.png

Wiitard said:
At half a million, it would make something like $10-12(assuming that they make $20 per copy in US and more abroad). Dev costs of the port + mmarketing. Let's say 2 million.

Now, let's compare this with Lost Planet. A million copies sold. $50 per copy. $20 mil for developmentt. $20 mil for marketing. We get profits in the same ballpark. Not too shabby.

Stiff competition? You must be speaking relative to other markets. Wii is not facing nearly the level of competition PS2 was facing in US in the console space.

Ten to 12 dollars? :0

Wiitard

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:

No, they won't.

I think it is only partly that. The other part is that Wii buyers in Japan want Wii Sports types of games and have much, much less interests in the rest of the available library that US and Europe. The West is getting big games: Strikers, Scarface, Manhunt 2, Biggs and Metroid this summer. For Japan the big gemes start with Wii Music and Fitness, much later.

Alkaliine said:
Ten to 12 dollars? :0

Why make millions, when we can make dollars!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
AzureNightmareXE said:
Looks like that PS2 game in the Nintendo top 10 is lost
Is that why it's being released on Wii at the end of next month? :lol

Odysseus

Banned
The Sphinx said:
I think it's because they're already stockpiling for the big releases in the fall and for the holiday season. Skimming ten to twenty thousand off a week, per territory.

i think they have to be stockpiling, too, and for good reason.

let's say they can produce 1.5 million units per month, and they started doing so in april. let's also say they can ship and comfortably sell 1 million units per month worldwide. that extra half a million gives them a chance to build up extra inventory of 3.5 million wiis going into november, and they would all told have about 6.5 million wiis to sell worldwide in november and december. they could have a monster holiday in america, i could easily see them selling 2.5 to 3 million between black friday and christmas eve if they had the supply. add japan, europe, and other markets, and you are still potentially looking at shortages even with 6+ million wiis available.

sure, they could sell more wiis now, but i think it's very good business strategy to have ample supply for the holidays even if net sales turn out to be the same either way. there's competitive reasons you want to have units available, there's the idea of increased mainstream buzz that isn't in the form of mass frustration, etc.

ivysaur12

Banned
ethelred said:
Nowhere even close.

The ass kicker himself said:
"The sales are strong and good. I personally thought it was going to be explosive. The consumers I've talked to who have it love it. But it's really [about] exposing it to consumers and letting them see how addictive this game is," said Fils-Aime, who'd originally hoped to sell 300,000 copies in the game's first month -- it only achieved 120,000.

cvxfreak

Even though I think RE4 Wii has potential, I think Umbrella Chronicles is the game to define the strength of the BH franchise on the Wii.

That said I wonder if BH5 will outsell Umbrella Chronicles.

ethelred

ivysaur12 said:

C'mon, Ivy... need to learn that Nintendo PR hacks lie as quickly and easily as everyone else's. Reggie was pulling a fast one on everyone by giving shipped, not sold, figures!

Odysseus said:
i think they have to be stockpiling, too, and for good reason.

let's say they can produce 1.5 million units per month, and they started doing so in april. let's also say they can ship and comfortably sell 1 million units per month worldwide. that extra half a million gives them a chance to build up extra inventory of 3.5 million wiis going into november, and they would all told have about 6.5 million wiis to sell worldwide in november and december. they could have a monster holiday in america, i could easily see them selling 2.5 to 3 million between black friday and christmas eve if they had the supply. add japan, europe, and other markets, and you are still potentially looking at shortages even with 6+ million wiis available.

sure, they could sell more wiis now, but i think it's very good business strategy to have ample supply for the holidays even if net sales turn out to be the same either way. there's competitive reasons you want to have units available, there's the idea of increased mainstream buzz that isn't in the form of mass frustration, etc.

You continue to make sense.

At first, I was resigned to the fact that the 360 will probably be on par with the Wii this holiday season but you're right that Nintendo cannot risk frustrating more potential customers in Holiday 08.

Besides, I think that demand right now is leveling off as is with everything else, it only makes sense to ship just enough to keep the systems moving and still beating the other two by a considerable margin. Then go all out and seal the deal this holiday season, arguably any company's biggest sales period anyway. Then there's Halo overhype.

Nintendo already showed us that they can and will stockpile for the holidays as shown by Golden Week and Easter shipments.

Wiitard

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Even though I think RE4 Wii has potential, I think Umbrella Chronicles is the game to define the strength of the BH franchise on the Wii.

If UC sells really well, there will be a Wii version of RE5. What is really well? I'd say north of 700,000.

titiklabingapat said:
You continue to make sense.

At first, I was resigned to the fact that the 360 will probably be on par with the Wii this holiday season but you're right that Nintendo cannot risk frustrating more potential customers in Holiday 08.

Besides, I think that demand right now is leveling off as is with everything else, it only makes sense to ship just enough to keep the systems moving and still beating the other two by a considerable margin. Then go all out and seal the deal this holiday season, arguably any company's biggest sales period anyway. Then there's Halo overhype.

Nintendo already showed us that they can and will stockpile for the holidays as shown by Golden Week and Easter shipments.

I'd say there is aanother reason at least as important - you want to have console supply spikes coinsiding with big game releases (especially first party). This is a really neat way to boost game sales and they are really going all out with first party releases later this year.

Saitou

Banned
Wiitard said:
If UC sells really well, there will be a Wii version of RE5. What is really well? I'd say north of 700,000.
You better be talking worldwide, because there's no way UC is selling that in Japan alone. And I doubt it'll make it WW...

Depends on how Konami handle the marketing, I guess.

Wiitard

Banned
Saitou said:
You better be talking worldwide, because there's no way UC is selling that in Japan alone. And I doubt it'll make it WW...

Of course I'm talking worldwide.

Konami???

By the way, I'm not really sure it will sell that much. But even if it sells half a million I see a high probability of RE5 Wii - after all, not porting it to Wii would almost certainly mean locking out the majority of the franchise's fans.

Saitou said:

Konami? I thought it was a Capcom thing.

sphinx

the piano man
Saitou said:

seriously, this was fun like in 2004..

cvxfreak said:

First off though UC should do ok, it is a light-gun action game on Wii, which is something I doubt appeals much to the current Japanese Wii audience.

Furthermore, BH5 consistently rates very high in Famitsu's most wanted, and the only thing that would prevent it from doing well in Japan is the poor sales of 360 and PS3.

Worldwide though, BH5 will very likely destroy UC.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
cvxfreak said:

Biohazard CODE: Veronica Kanzenban (PS2) - 184,475
Gun Survivor 2: Biohazard CODE: Veronica - 32,296
Gun Survivor 4: Biohazard: Heroes Never Die - 16,847
Biohazard Outbreak - 208,617
Biohazard Outbreak FILE 2 - 89,131
Biohazard 4 (PS2) - 234,917

Hrm, well looking at how the PS2 faired with the RE series, lets hope Umbrella Chronicles does great opening and staying numbers. Thanks for posting these since I've never seen the openings for these titles. You had Gun Survivor 2 released as the second PS2 RE title and it was nothing like Code Veronica Kanzenban but the release of Outbreak just shot straight up for the 4th RE PS2 release title. PS2 owners were just waiting for a real RE title after Kanzenban and after 2 Gun Survivor games.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Isn't this the worst opening ever for a numbered RE game, not counting the DC/GCN ports of RE2/3? Or did Deadly Silence do worse?
Why do ports of RE 2 and RE 3 not count but a port of RE 4 does?

duderon said:
Last Year:

Also creation of the pacman pie chart in this thread
Time flies!
cvxfreak said:
According to Famitsu it debuted at ~184,000 (or 181,000, can't remember the thousands digit) and ended up somewhere near 400K. The GCN port sold less than 10K, and it was the third version.
Yeah, RE4 PS2 is already the proper comparison to RECVX PS2, being the first release on a hugely popular system. Also released when PS2 had been out more than a year, so the userbase was a bit higher than Wii's is now... though surprisingly not by so much: ~3.6 million to Wii's ~2.6 million.
The Sphinx said:
Well, if Wii is ever going to become the "next PS2" (in Japan) it's going to have to knock more DS games out of the top 30.
Well, certainly this will happen more as time goes on. There are still 6 times as many DS systems out there as Wiis.
The Sphinx said:
I think it's because they're already stockpiling for the big releases in the fall and for the holiday season.
Heh, forget stockpiling for the fall, they've got Dragon Quest Swords hitting in a month.

cvxfreak

Defensor said:
Hrm, well looking at how the PS2 faired with the RE series, lets hope Umbrella Chronicles does great opening and staying numbers. Thanks for posting these since I've never seen the openings for these titles. You had Gun Survivor 2 released as the second PS2 RE title and it was nothing like Code Veronica Kanzenban but the release of Outbreak just shot straight up for the 4th RE PS2 release title. PS2 owners were just waiting for a real RE title after Kanzenban and after 2 Gun Survivor games.

It's really hard to tell how an RE game will sell. :(

We get a really strong showing with Outbreak... then we get a rather weak File 2 showing, only for the best selling BH last gen to be BH4, a port of a game no one expected to be on PS2. Deadly Silence outsells Gun Survivor 4. Hella weird.

I don't know why developers are intent on making REMAKES of games that sold only OK in a territory... not only releasing it once, but TWICE in two successive years. It's ridiculous.

Thusly, RE4 Wiimake won't have legs, and we're just going to have to wait for a different title to convince us that Wii owners in Japan aren't just stuck on Wii Sports/Play (Paper Mario almost convinced me of it, but nope).

In other news, awesome legs for New Super Mario Bros., and I'm really hoping Animal Crossing can make it's way into the top 10 at some point. It deserves to be back there just for shock factor alone.

Terrell

cvxfreak said:

SHHHHH!!! Quit talking like that, you'll wake the beasts!!!

MetatronM said:
Why do ports of RE 2 and RE 3 not count but a port of RE 4 does?

n141886.jpg

LanceStern said:
I don't know why developers are intent on making REMAKES of games that sold only OK in a territory... not only releasing it once, but TWICE in two successive years. It's ridiculous.

Thusly, RE4 Wiimake won't have legs, and we're just going to have to wait for a different title to convince us that Wii owners in Japan aren't just stuck on Wii Sports/Play (Paper Mario almost convinced me of it, but nope).

In other news, awesome legs for New Super Mario Bros., and I'm really hoping Animal Crossing can make it's way into the top 10 at some point. It deserves to be back there just for shock factor alone.

That reminds me, can someone tell me how SPM is travelling in Japan compared to the previous 2 games?

Pureauthor said:
It's beating 'em handily - best selling Paper Mario game thus far.

Good to hear. SPM was never going to do NSMB numbers (I doubt Galaxy will get close either, though it will do noticeably better than SPM) but it should pull in, what, 450k - 550k LTD in Japan?

apotema

JoshuaJSlone said:
Ook, that is a good one. Assuming decent supply, both could happen in October.

And assuming good supply the question for the Wii would be when it will outsell PSP, not GC

Top Bottom