• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/16 - 7/22

Link

The Autumn Wind
FortunateSon said:
Fair enough. Maybe people should leave me alone?
Or, and I'm just throwing this out here, you could not participate in threads you feel are boring and that you admit you have no interest in.

RBH

Segata Sanshiro said:
Okay, let me see if I've got this.

You came into this thread to say this thread is boring. You gave your opinion which runs quite against the current facts of the matter. You gave pretty much no reasons or arguments to back your opinion. You essentially label anyone that calls you out on this a Nintendo fanman.

Somehow, you are shocked and hurt that people are not being nice to you.

Well **** man, I guess it's a goddam mystery.

Stanley.gif

JoshuaJSlone said:
Well of course I don't think Iwata is Kutaragi with a different haircut or anything, but if certain things are "eerily similar" as you say, that gives a valid basis for comparison, and predicting what will happen moving forward.
SNES big -> N64 bad first year -> N64 bad entire generation dominated by PS1
gives most of us reason to suspect
PS2 big -> PS3 bad first year -> PS3 bad entire generation dominated by Wii
rather than
PS2 big -> PS3 bad first year -> PS3 good rest of generation nearing Wii

Yeah, that will probably what happen. Honestly, that will be it. But I'm going against the odds, hey, where's the fun when you just give up? Keep cheering on the underdog. :lol

I think Ps3 will sell really good once everything is done and dusted but Wii will clean the house.

Ps2 x2.

I have another thing to say....nv..m...

Evlar

Banned
Oh, I see the name issue came up. I've been using "The Sphinx" on various messageboards for a while now, and I selected it as a name here before I had seen any post by "sphinx". I'm not attempting to lay a claim to pseudonyms referring to Egyptian temple guardians or a Greek monster fond of riddles. The name is just familiar to me, and I'd like to hang on to it unless an admin or moderator thinks it's too confusing.

Verve

@Cheesemeister:

I don't know if it has to do with the different source for sales data in the last MC threads or if I just didn't notice the reason mentioned in the last threads, but...

can we have the upcoming titles for the next week list back? I miss it :/

it was always nice to see someone posting some strange predictions, look at the list of upcoming titles and think "see you next week again, same MC channel, same MC time!" :D

FortunateSon said:
'Facts' - Really? I wouldn't call speculating 'facts. Anything can happen. 'Facts' is when you have SOLID proof of something.

I don't see that much of in here. It's just the usual speculation in the future going by trends.
You know what. You're right. TO HECK WITH THESE NUMBERS. Xbox 360 to win Japan CONFIRMED. Just you wait and see! When Halo 3 comes out they'll move three million units!

Yeah, Sales-Age doesn't mind dissenting opinions (most of the time) as long as they have a rigid foundation in math.

Your opinion doesn't, unfortunately, although I do feel people are being a bit rude.

The PS3 isn't selling right now because of the Wii. Japan picks a console, and then they carry that one, and that alone, to victory. Remember what you said earlier?

The PS3 will take off when it drops in price and there are more games, specifically those wacky games the Japanese love, along with JRPGs.

Guess which system is in that spot right now.

Wii.

Wii is at a low price point, with wacky games and a solid JRPG (DQS: Swords). It's not surprising that it is doing so well.

And, to be blunt, the PS3 is doing poorly. When sales are normally around 40k for a console (the Wii is breakin' the rules here) at this time of year (or so I gather; if I'm wrong, please correct me), and the PS3 is doing anywhere from 9k-13k, there's something amiss.

The PSP, which used to be derided for it's hardware sales (which have now been accepted as good, but not great, numbers) is doing 3 times as better than the PS3.

The Wii is doing 6-7 times as better as the PS3.

Even then, the PS3 could be doing much worse. The 360 has a much better line up with some really Japan-centric titles (BD, ES) but word-of-mouth about it's poor reliability and terrible marketing killed whatever chance it had to rob the PS3 of whatever marketshare it has left.

That's all.

And, goddamn, GAF, quit it with the group think.

Juwanna Peezadis said:
You know what. You're right. TOO HECK WITH THESE NUMBERS. Xbox 360 to win Japan CONFIRMED. Just you wait and see! When Halo 3 comes out they'll move three million units!

Sorry. I guess this thread is a good lesson for me in the future MC threads. I probably won't participate though in the future.

:lol :lol :lol I should just laugh at myself with you guys and this thread.

Yeah, anyways. When do the hadrware numbers come in? Thursdays right?

FortunateSon said:
Sorry. I guess this thread is a good lesson for me in the future MC threads. I probably won't participate though in the future.

I should just laugh at myself with you guys and this thread.

Yeah, anyways. When do the hadrware numbers come in? Thursdays right?

They are crazy Fortunate, they are crazy. Never give up on YOUR opinion though, no matter what the MC elitists belive. Just refine it until they finally understand you.

I agree with you the PS3 could be hitting a stride sooner than later. Especially if tomorrow proves its 6th consecutive week of increase sales

I smell the next big "300k"

legend166

sphinx said:
the hell is wrong with you, guys? the fact that you disagree that the PS3 can make a comeback in Japan doesn't mean you can call someone " bullshit" or " stupid ".

There's a difference between thinking that the PS3 can make a comeback in Japan and thinking that it is selling well now, which is was FortunateSon said.

And not only that, you have to give a good argument as to why you think the PS3 can make a comeback. An argument that is better than "you'd be delusional not to buy one."

FortunateSon said:
Yeah, that will probably what happen. Honestly, that will be it. But I'm going against the odds, hey, where's the fun when you just give up? Keep cheering on the underdog. :lol

I think Ps3 will sell really good once everything is done and dusted but Wii will clean the house.

Ps2 x2.

I have another thing to say....nv..m...

I agree with your analysis that it is highly likely that the PS3 will be demolished into a niche irrelevance by the Wii. I also agree with you when you imply that every single ****ing fact points to the Wii winning overwhelmingly and the PS3 failing miserably whereas the only source of hope for the PS3 is misplaced fanboy feelings. How much do you think the Wii will outsell the PS3 by for the rest of the year in Japan? It's just absolutely amazing how the PS3 has made Playstation irrelevant in Japan so fast. Don't you think so?

sprocket

Banned
Look how many more the ps2 game than the Wii version. Theps2 still sells a lot for being a really old system and have saturated the market so much.

FlightOfHeaven said:
Yeah, Sales-Age doesn't mind dissenting opinions (most of the time) as long as they have a rigid foundation in math.

Your opinion doesn't, unfortunately, although I do feel people are being a bit rude.

The PS3 isn't selling right now because of the Wii. Japan picks a console, and then they carry that one, and that alone, to victory. Remember what you said earlier?

The PS3 will take off when it drops in price and there are more games, specifically those wacky games the Japanese love, along with JRPGs.

Wii.

Wii is at a low price point, with wacky games and a solid JRPG (DQS: Swords). It's not surprising that it is doing so well.

And, to be blunt, the PS3 is doing poorly. When sales are normally around 40k for a console (the Wii is breakin' the rules here) at this time of year (or so I gather; if I'm wrong, please correct me), and the PS3 is doing anywhere from 9k-13k, there's something amiss.

The PSP, which used to be derided for it's hardware sales (which have now been accepted as good, but not great, numbers) is doing 3 times as better than the PS3.

Even then, the PS3 could be doing much worse. The 360 has a much better line up with some really Japan-centric titles (BD, ES) but word-of-mouth about it's poor reliability and terrible marketing killed whatever chance it had to rob the PS3 of whatever marketshare it has left.

That's all.

Look, again. What you said. They're all completely great points. I just don't feel like refuting them as you see as I'm not that into sales and stuff but I just wanted to state my opinion in that the Ps3 will somehow in the future really rise, rise to heaven? Not. For obvious reasons. Nintendo and the Wii has all the games, price and the whole country in the bag. But the Ps3 will do really good numbers by the end of it's life time. You can quote me on it. I will give you a specific number okay? 12.7 million. If they don't reach that, call me out on it.

Simple as that.

I will say one thing, imagine this board or the MC threads if the Ps3 just suddenly went on fire? Oh man, that'd be great but it won't happen. :lol :lol :lol :lol

LanceStern said:
They are crazy Fortunate, they are crazy. Never give up on YOUR opinion though, no matter what the MC elitists belive. Just refine it until they finally understand you.

I agree with you the PS3 could be hitting a stride sooner than later. Especially if tomorrow proves its 6th consecutive week of increase sales

Whatever you do, my CCR-loving friend, do not throw in with this guy. He's mentally ill, I'm sure of it, and yes, I *am* qualified to assess these things.

rakka

sprocket said:
Look how many more the ps2 game than the Wii version. Theps2 still sells a lot for being a really old system and have saturated the market so much.

3:1, install base ration to wii 6:1

I'd say the wii version is doing fine.

Verve

sprocket said:

if you refered to hardware numbers, the saturation argument would be valid.
but if you argue, that a GAME sells better on a 20M userbase than on a 3M userbase, while the attach ratio speaks for the wii version as i pointed out earlier in this thread, it doesn't look quite that good for the ps2 version

sprocket

Banned
Verve said:
if you refered to hardware numbers, the saturation argument would be valid.
but if you argue, that a GAME sells better on a 20M userbase than on a 3M userbase, while the attach ratio speaks for the wii version as i pointed out earlier in this thread, it doesn't look quite that good for the ps2 version

no I was referring to the ps2 hardware sells plus the game sells numbers. Just because the wii has a lot of games on the charts means little actually when each game launches to 40k. Like you said thiere are still 20 million ps2 owners there that aren't buying anything but major ps2 games.

FortunateSon said:
Yeah, that will probably what happen. Honestly, that will be it. But I'm going against the odds, hey, where's the fun when you just give up? Keep cheering on the underdog.

If even you think your opinion is against the odds, perhaps saying you "hope" or "think it could" happen instead of "think it will" happen would be more accurate. We all wish for some longshots for our personal favorites, but the way you've worded it as a likelihood is bound to draw more response.
The Sphinx said:
Oh, I see the name issue came up. I've been using "The Sphinx" on various messageboards for a while now, and I selected it as a name here before I had seen any post by "sphinx". I'm not attempting to lay a claim to pseudonyms referring to Egyptian temple guardians or a Greek monster fond of riddles. The name is just familiar to me, and I'd like to hang on to it unless an admin or moderator thinks it's too confusing.
Use a middle initial like me.

The J Sphinx

legend166 said:
There's a difference between thinking that the PS3 can make a comeback in Japan and thinking that it is selling well now, which is was FortunateSon said.

And not only that, you have to give a good argument as to why you think the PS3 can make a comeback. An argument that is better than "you'd be delusional not to buy one."

Dude, I think the Ps3 is selling well. What's your problem? You want a reasoning, for the price and the games at its disposable CURRENTLY in Japan, it's doing pretty good. Don't you think?

How much do you think the Wii will outsell the PS3 by for the rest of the year in Japan? It's just absolutely amazing how the PS3 has made Playstation irrelevant in Japan so fast. Don't you think so?

Will will probably beat Ps3 down pretty badly especially when holidays come. Even now, Wii is quite the monster and the Ps3 is a mouse?

It's unbelieveable to me how the Ps3 just suddenly made the Ps brand name irrelevent down there. It's crazy. Like I'm surprised like hell. You wouldn't even know it.

I was thinking it was going to do big numbers but I guess not. Wii is the new Ps2. It's a monster. Ps3 is
not the old Gc.

legend166

No, I think it's doing horribly.

Anyone can add modifiers to make it sound like something is doing well. Doesn't mean that it is.

LanceStern said:

Oh, finally. Someone that doesn't kill me. Wow. I'm surprised.

He's mentally ill,

rakka

FortunateSon said:
Dude, I think the Ps3 is selling well. What's your problem? You want a reasoning, for the price and the games at its disposable CURRENTLY in Japan, it's doing pretty good. Don't you think?

If selling worse than the GC (at this point in its lifetime) is selling well, then yes, I guess so...

:(

Impressive Zelda numbers. It really is the revitalization of the series. Can't wait to play it myself.

As for the baseball game it will be interesting to see if both versions are front-loaded or if any of the two shows legs on the charts.

rakka said:
MP8 please bomb.
What's with the hate for MP8? It's not a bad game at all. I think it holds it's own as a party game much better than WW.

FortunateSon said:
Lots and lots of stuff
Where's your prediction for next week? >:-(

FortunateSon said:
Oh, finally. Someone that doesn't kill me. Wow. I'm surprised.

If you need a diagnosis from the DSMTR-IV, I can probably accomodate that tomorrow if it's not as busy at the office as it was today.

Evlar

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
If you need a diagnosis from the DSMTR-IV, I can probably accomodate that tomorrow if it's not as busy at the office as it was today.
I guess there's always a flood of new patients around NPD week.

Innotech

Banned
FortunateSon said:

Will will probably beat Ps3 down pretty badly especially when holidays come. Even now, Wii is quite the monster and the Ps3 is a mouse?

It's unbelieveable to me how the Ps3 just suddenly made the Ps brand name irrelevent down there. It's crazy. Like I'm surprised like hell. You wouldn't even know it.

I was thinking it was going to do big numbers but I guess not. Wii is the new Ps2. It's a monster. Ps3 is
not the old Gc.

maybe its the new Saturn
Hey Im optimistic

Tf53

FortunateSon said:
Dude, I think the Ps3 is selling well.
Honestly, dude. The Wii has sold more in Canada than the PS3 in Japan for two months in a row. How are those good sales? I'd really, really love to hear your definition of 'good sales'. Unless it's another opinion, because then it obviously won't need backing up.

Sometimes I don't even know what the **** happens in these threads. The numbers come out, everyone reacts, then there's a lull, then some stupid shit invariably goes down and the thread explodes. Last week it was LanceStern with his ****ing ridiculous spacenumbers, this week...I don't even know. Jesus.

Epiphyte

Tf53 said:
Honestly, dude. The Wii has sold more in Canada than the PS3 in Japan for two months in a row. How are those good sales? I'd really, really love your definition of 'good sales'. Unless it's another opinion, because then it obviously won't need backing up.
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Lobster

Banned
Vic said:
01. [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 14 (Konami) - 153,000 / NEW
03. [WII] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball Wii (Konami) - 48,000 / NEW

The PS2 will save the honor of the Playstation brand

This makes me happy. Not that the Ps2 sales are over the Wii version but the fact that 3rd parties DO sell on Wii and this isn't the case of "its this brand name so it always sells"

BrodiemanTTR said:
Sometimes I don't even know what the **** happens in these threads. The numbers come out, everyone reacts, then there's a lull, then some stupid shit invariably goes down and the thread explodes. Last week it was LanceStern with his ****ing ridiculous spacenumbers, this week...I don't even know. Jesus.
It's titiklabingapat and his titi being 14.
Now you know.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
LanceStern said:
May I play nice tonight?

No, I haven't got it in me to repeat last week :lol

Anyway, decent first week for Power Pro, DQ:S selling a bit less than expected, but thats because of supply issues, hopefully they'll be fixed, and Wii at around 75k again, Nintendomination etc, next week is the big test.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
FlightOfHeaven said:

Wii.

That's all.

wtf are you talking about. The whole PS3 platform is a cluster**** of bad design and decisions. The "too advanced" processor, expensive media, jumping head first in the useless HD media war, expensive development cost for the developers, being a multimedia machine before a game console, the incomprehensible addition of the "waggle" in the remote, the size of the machine, the complexity to produce the chips, the clowns at Sony that took care of the project, the lack of understanding of the hardware for a lot of developpers, the lack of stellar games, the embarrassing press conference at E3 2006, the high price of the console, etc.

If you've read my post carefully, you see that I've didn't even mentioned once the Wii or X360. It's Sony that ****ed up themself. The two other are just... giving them a hand to help the sabotage :lol

Segata Sanshiro said:
Personally I care more about seeing how individual games do than which make believe army is winning.

BUT I UNDERSTAND THE STAKES ARE HIGH SIR

You wouldn't be saying that if Sega was still in the console wars.

CANLI

My predictions for next week:

1- It's a wonderful world DS 330k
2- Mario Party 8 Wii 310k
3- Minna no Golf 5 PS3 240k
4- Taiko no Tatsujin DS Touch de Dokodon 90k
5- Zelda PH DS 50k
6- Gundam Wii
7- Wii Sports
8- Flash Focus
9- NMSB DS
10- Hello Kitty DS

Dewy bomba :(

ITA84

27. [NDS]Mega Man ZX Advent

It's tracking behind its predecessor... That's so disappointing.
I guess it's because there's stronger competition now.

I can just hope for a sequel despite these numbers.

CANLI said:
My predictions for next week:

1- It's a wonderful world DS 330k
2- Mario Party 8 Wii 310k
3- Minna no Golf 5 PS3 240k
4- Taiko no Tatsujin DS Touch de Dokodon 90k
6- Gundam Wii
10- Hello Kitty DS

Dewy bomba :(
All these are released this week? Is there anything else?

There's no way Subarashiki Kono Sekai will beat MP8.

Top Bottom