• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 8 - 14 May

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Wow, HUGE drop off for the DS and Lite. Looks like the non game fad is finally coming to an end. Go Sony and PSP! :D ;)

Jonnyram

DSlite is still sold out everywhere. It's obvious now that they're prepping units for the western launch. I wonder why they haven't improved their production speed though.

Jonnyram said:
DSlite is still sold out everywhere. It's obvious now that they're prepping units for the western launch. I wonder why they haven't improved their production speed though.

so are these low numbers more a function of a lack of supply than a lack of demand?

donny2112

It's just the severe shortage rearing its head again based on Jonnyram's statement. The DS should pass 8 million this week.

Regular DS: 50K -> 37K -> 8K -> 43K -> 24K -> 3K

JPNHandhelds.png

You still can't walk into a major store (Bic, Yodobashi, Sofmap, Sakuraya, etc) in Tokyo and find a DS OR DS Lite. I will have friends wanting a Lite but are never lucky enough to walk into a store that just got them in stock. I assume they're getting ready for their US launch, I wonder what Nintendo's DS/DSL production capacity is.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Xbox360 2,019 >> 1,355

That's a [font size=190pt]33% DROP.[/font]

must be a weird choice for nintendo.. on the one hand they sell every DS Lite unit they can produce in Japan alone. On the other hand they couldn't hold off the launch for the rest of the world forever... so they had to just start saving some for america and europe.

Yamauchi

Banned
Obviously 150-200k weekly sales are unsustainable, and it looks like Nintendo is diverting production to prepare for the DSL launch in the rest of the world. However, I'm thinking demand will increase with NSMB.

Mrbob

Jonnyram said:

Should have prepped for western launch earlier. I can't believe I have to wait till June 11 to play NSMB. :/

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Mrbob said:
Should have prepped for western launch earlier. I can't believe I have to wait till June 11 to play NSMB. :/
if you kept up with the official thread you'd know it is the worst mario ever and doesn't have any magic and probably kicked a few dogs so you probably aren't missing much!

it is pretty awesome

cvxfreak

Yamauchi said:
Obviously 150-200k weekly sales are unsustainable, and it looks like Nintendo is diverting production to prepare for the DSL launch in the rest of the world. However, I'm thinking demand will increase with NSMB.

If Nintendo screws the pooch with DS Lite/DS demand on May 25, then... oh boy. 1.3 Million retailer orders has got to yield a considerable amount of hardware, too.

Akia

cvxfreak said:
If Nintendo screws the pooch with DS Lite/DS demand on May 25, then... oh boy. 1.3 Million retailer orders has got to yield a considerable amount of hardware, too.

True Dat. Nintendo can fubar launch but they can't mess up NSMB. There has to be truckloads of Lites.

donny2112 said:
It's just the severe shortage rearing its head again based on Jonnyram's statement. The DS should pass 8 million this week.

Regular DS: 50K -> 37K -> 8K -> 43K -> 24K -> 3K
]

Thats what I was thinking of. Theres no way in hell that this is a demand issue, thats suppl all the way. 8k -> 43k for no reason? 24k -. 3k? Maybe after 6 months.

If Nintendo can get 20,000 FatDss in stores next week, we'll see 18,000 sold.

Rock_Man

The "low" sales of DS hardware makes the software sales even more impressive. The tie ratio
for the brain trainings haven't been this high since DS lite launched, except for golden week.

Jonnyram said:

They have :) Sth. like 550k -> 750k (with the possiblity that they already began to stock units for the western launch in April).

DS after 11 weeks: 1.8 million

GBASP after 11 weeks: 0.84M
DSL after 11 weeks: 1.48M
Time for GBASP to reach 1.48M: ~27 weeks

"GBA after SP" after 11 weeks: 226K
"DS after DSL" after 11 weeks: 395K
Time for "GBA after SP" to reach 395K: ~27 weeks

When I initially set up my spreadsheet for the above figurings, I gave it the first 29 weeks of GBASP and GBA-after-SP. I definitely must give it more to keep up.

Average DS system ownership: 33.9 weeks
Average PSP system ownership: 40.0 weeks

cvxfreak said:
Heh, interesting final two stats you have there, Joshua. :)
It is a fun little stat. Usually it just inches forward pretty evenly, but the influx of DS Lite owners has kept things pretty still. The week before Lite launched it was 32.1 weeks for DS, 33.8 weeks for PSP.

jman2050 said:
DSL 91,895
PSP 27,127
PS2 21,138
GBASP 6,317
DS 3,438
GBM 2,628
Xbox360 1,355
GC 1,069
GBA 40
Xbox 36

Wht a drop! The DS sales really fluctuate per week, Nintendo make more of this beast and its liter brother please!

These sales are for the week after Golden Week in Japan, so everyone would have spent all thier money in Golden week and have none left for buying stuff. Its normal to see such low numbers IMO.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Nintendo need to sort out these supply issues. When NSMB launches they'd better be ready with 1m+ DSL

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Just seen on Next-gen.biz

"Of note is that there are STILL no DS units of any kind stocking store shelves. No regulars, no Lites. The drought continues. At first it was kind of triumphant for Nintendo -- they should have been proud of having a surprise hit. At this point, some six months later, it looks simply amateurish. DS Lite launched two months ago, and you still can't buy the damned thing. Word is more units will be available when New Super Mario Bros. launches, though there's really no telling."

They have already shipped about 2.5m DS(L) this year to Japan. They simply couldn't forsee that (DS in 2005 hit that mark at the end of November!).

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
marc^o^ said:

"Of note is that there are STILL no DS units of any kind stocking store shelves. No regulars, no Lites. The drought continues. At first it was kind of triumphant for Nintendo -- they should have been proud of having a surprise hit. At this point, some six months later, it looks simply amateurish. DS Lite launched two months ago, and you still can't buy the damned thing. Word is more units will be available when New Super Mario Bros. launches, though there's really no telling."

Is it amateurish? This thing seems to be selling at a faster rate than any videogame hardware ever in Japan (100-200k a week is insane), and no doubt they are stockpiling millions of units for the European and US launch of DSL. They've done a better job of getting units out there than MS did with the X360 outside of Japan.

But for the sake of sales-age, they need to get plenty of stock out to Japan so we can see what kind of weekly numbers it is capable of

marc^o^ said:

I can't find this on the site... do you have a link?

Oh snap. If anyone mentioned this in the last week or two I missed it, but the DS+DSL YTD for 2006 is 2,321,671. PSP's yearly total for 2005 was 2,200,710.

cvxfreak

Akia said:
Metroid Prime Hunters launches on May 24th in Japan.

I wonder if Japan will like it. But based on the past Metroid sales in Japan it'll probably bomb.

MPH Japan Commerical

Hunters is actually out on June 1.

I doubt it will sell much. Metroid Dread would do better if it ever actually came out.

mutsu

Yeah, I think no matter how the game population expands in Japan, they are just not going to like the FPS genre... It will never become a mainstream genre over there.

Rotanibor

Akia said:
Metroid Prime Hunters launches on June 1st in Japan.

I wonder if Japan will like it. But based on the past Metroid sales in Japan it'll probably bomb.

MPH Japan Commerical

Humm. How often do you see non-Japanese people in Japanese commercials? It seems like they only threw the white guy in because its a popular type of game in the west or some weird shit.

Rotanibor Eht said:
Humm. How often do you see non-Japanese people in Japanese commercials? It seems like they only threw the white guy in because its a popular type of game in the west or some weird shit.
I think this is meant to mean that the wi-fi is worldwide, and not to remind Japanese consumers that white folk play first person shooters.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
mutsu said:
Yeah, I think no matter how the game population expands in Japan, they are just not going to like the FPS genre... It will never become a mainstream genre over there.

It's why dummy Nintnendo should have made the Prime games in 3rd person. At least then it might have had a chance in Japan.

mutsu said:

FPS Training 1mil sales

Top Bottom