• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 8/20 - 8/26

Lucky

Holiday weeks like last ones tend to pull sales forward from the following week. We can see evidence of that this week, though strangely it didn't affect PS2 sales. I think we will see a slight increase in next weeks sales as a result.

Thanks Vinnk for that wonderful report. I always find this "channel check" data the most interesting.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Wyndstryker said:
PS3 - 16,393 | 21,720 | 643,854 | 1,101,412

Minnabump beginning to slow down now. Guessing maybe 10k to 14k next week

Maybe, but it's seeing the same drop everything else is. Minna bump mighta brought it out of the 10k zone. It might actually go up next week.

Lucky said:
Holiday weeks like last ones tend to pull sales forward from the following week. We can see evidence of that this week, though strangely it didn't affect PS2 sales. I think we will see a slight increase in next weeks sales as a result.

Thanks Vinnk for that wonderful report. I always find this "channel check" data the most interesting.

PS2 had a big game this week, so a slight sales bump. I'm wondering what the DS could have been if it didn't have FFCC this week.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ethelred said:
Sounds like there are quality issues, though.
What quality issues? To me is sounds like they made it pretty short but nothing is really wrong with the game, sounds more fun than It's a Wonderful World to me.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Holy shit, PS3's getting closer and closer to Wii.
Or is it the other way around?

Guess it was a bad idea to divert some of those Wiis to NA.

Hopefully the sales of Mario Party 8 we are seeing in all territories doesn't lessen Nintendos efforts in the redundant sequel.

It's a shame that Nintendo cant manage their resources so we got regular Mario Platformers and less Mario spin-offs, no matter how good the quality. Super Paper Mario's good but relatively average sales compared to the MP8 Mini Fest with its mediocre longevity probaly won't see this history change any time soon.

Slow week. The slowest this year, in fact. However, total hardware is still above 200K, which is a lot more than one could say for good weeks in previous years.

Wii comparisons: At 39 weeks, Wii is where GCN was at 166.6 weeks (November 17, 2004), where GBA was at 34.1 weeks (November 11, 2001), where DS was at 47.8 weeks (October 28, 2005), where PS2 was at 52.4 weeks (February 28, 2001), and where PSP was at 76.6 weeks (May 24, 2006).

PS3 comparisons: At 42 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 4.8 weeks (March 31, 2000), where PSP was at 15.9 weeks (March 26, 2005), where GCN was at 18.0 weeks (January 12, 2002), and where Wii was at 5.9 weeks (January 6, 2007).

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 79.4 / 20.6, bringing total shares to 76.5 / 23.5. If DS stopped selling, at this week's rate PSP would catch up in 506.8 weeks (May 13, 2017); a new high point for this particular stat.

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 26.2 / 73.8, slightly moving the total shares in PS3's favor... though not enough to tell with one decimal point: 24.1 / 75.6. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 144.5 weeks (June 3, 2010).

PSP vs Wii: At this week's rates, Wii catches up to PSP in 119.3 weeks (December 9, 2009).

PS2 vs DS: At this week's rates, DS catches up to PS2 in 18.6 weeks (January 3, 2008) at ~20.97 million apiece.

With PS3's decent last few weeks, Sony's total sales for the year have put them just ahead of where they were at this time in 2005. Still not Sony's best year, though; 2000 and 2001 at least are higher going by Famitsu.

Fami Ranking FFCCrof (206000) > Sengoku Musou 2: Moushouden (176000)

MediaCreate Ranking Sengoku Musou 2: Moushouden (182484) > FFCCrof (177845)

Dengeki Ranking FFCCrof (201000) > Sengoku Musou 2: Moushouden (176000)

JoshuaJSlone said:
Slow week. The slowest this year, in fact. However, total hardware is still above 200K, which is a lot more than one could say for good weeks in previous years.

Wii comparisons: At 39 weeks, Wii is where GCN was at 166.6 weeks (November 17, 2004), where GBA was at 34.1 weeks (November 11, 2001), where DS was at 47.8 weeks (October 28, 2005), where PS2 was at 52.4 weeks (February 28, 2001), and where PSP was at 76.6 weeks (May 24, 2006).

PS3 comparisons: At 42 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 4.8 weeks (March 31, 2000), where PSP was at 15.9 weeks (March 26, 2005), where GCN was at 18.0 weeks (January 12, 2002), and where Wii was at 5.9 weeks (January 6, 2007).

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 79.4 / 20.6, bringing total shares to 76.5 / 23.5. If DS stopped selling, at this week's rate PSP would catch up in 506.8 weeks (May 13, 2017); a new high point for this particular stat.

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 26.2 / 73.8, slightly moving the total shares in PS3's favor... though not enough to tell with one decimal point: 24.1 / 75.6. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 144.5 weeks (June 3, 2010).

PSP vs Wii: At this week's rates, Wii catches up to PSP in 119.3 weeks (December 9, 2009).

PS2 vs DS: At this week's rates, DS catches up to PS2 in 18.6 weeks (January 3, 2008) at ~20.97 million apiece.

With PS3's decent last few weeks, Sony's total sales for the year have put them just ahead of where they were at this time in 2005. Still not Sony's best year, though; 2000 and 2001 at least are higher going by Famitsu.

My favorite part of these threads aside from the sales figures. Thank you.

Galactic Fork

Jasoncheng said:
Fami Ranking FFCCrof (206000) > Sengoku Musou 2: Moushouden (176000)

MediaCreate Ranking Sengoku Musou 2: Moushouden (182484) > FFCCrof (177845)

Dengeki Ranking FFCCrof (201000) > Sengoku Musou 2: Moushouden (176000)

I expect MC's numbers to be higher than the other two for FFCC next week. SM2 seems to be pretty close for all 3.

Haunted

Thanks, Josh! Good work as always. You, donny and Panther make these threads always extra-worthwhile.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Man, just stop and think about that for a second.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
JoshuaJSlone said:

I said "wow", especially at the first and the last one.

apujanata

Vinnk said:
NOTES:

1. Wii is very interesting. During the last 2 weeks I checked on it at every store I visited. Sometimes there would be several in a store and sometimes there would be zero. This is very different from how it has been for the last few months where it was a rare occurrence to see a Wii in a store at all and if you did, there were only one or 2 at most. What this tells me is that the Wii is still selling (thus the stores with no units) but that fact that sometimes you can see as many as 8 sitting in a store with no rabid mothers pushing kids out of the way to get one, shows some sign of slowing demand. But I personally feel that this will be short lived. When Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros. hit, I am fairly certain Wii will be supply constrained again.

2. DS lite is not supply constrained. You still might have to go to a few stores to find your perfect color, but in general anyone can get a DS who wants one. Is it worth it to keep gathering numbers for the DS lite at this point?

3. The games stores are starting to really push FF: Crisis Core. There are kiosks set up in Wanpaku, Best and Yamada Denki. Even the convenience stores are showing the trailer for the game on their cash registers(which, yes, have video screens). I would say this is probably the most hype I have seen for a PSP game since Monster Hunter 2.

4. Dragon Quest Swords is selling very well, but as a used game. I see many people buying it and many people selling it. It is great for the used game stores (they make more money on used than new games) but pretty bad for Square-Enix because there is little reason to buy this game new when cheaper, mint condition copies, can be found almost everywhere. Several of my students bought it recently and none of them bought it new. I can guarantee you that over 1 million people will buy the game. But most of those sales will be the same copies re-bought and resold.

5. Gyakuten Saiban 3 is sold out at most stores in my town. I don’t think the retailers were expecting it to sell this well since it is a GBA remake. I pre-ordered 3 copies and I am glad I did because there weren't 3 copies to be found at any of the stores in my town. These sales must take even Capcom by surprise.

6. The regular game store Otaku (nerds) in my town continue to discuss DQIX and recently some of them are getting hyped for Final Fantasy Crisis Core. As for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates (DS) very few of them have any interest in the title. The main thing that is keeping them away is the name. Crystal Chronicles for Gamecube was not the type of game these JRPG fans were hoping for and they told me that they have no interest in further games in that series (despite me tellin ghem that is is actually quite different). They do hope for a sequel to “It’s A Wonderful World” though which shows they are willing to try games in a new series. Interestingly enough one of them asked me if I had played “Bioshock” since he read about it online and really wants to try it. This again goes to show how small of a segment the hardcore really are in Japan.

I think you can stop counting the DSL, until you noticed that DSL became sold out again in the future (if it ever happen, which I doubt).

If FF7CC does not manage to sell well (at least twice FFCC:RoF first few weeks), we safely say that is not because of lack of marketing effort.

I think DQS is showing one of the shortfall of a short gameplay. Anyone think that it is because casual gamers are more inclined to sold a game (after finishing it) ?
Is there a lot of used FF main games floating around ? Probably not since FF main games has 100 hours of gameplay.

Hope Gyakuten Saiban 3 can do well in the future.
I hope FFCC:RoF have good legs. If a game is good, word of mouth will help it sell.

castle007

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
1. NDS - 100,460
2. WII - 46,283
3. PSP - 26,089
4. PS3 - 16,393
5. PS2 - 15,139
6. 360 - 2,044
7. GBA - 651
8. NGC - 116

OH NOES it is all over for Wii and DS.

Pretty low sales this week.

Vinnk

apujanata said:
Is there a lot of used FF main games floating around ? Probably not since FF main games has 100 hours of gameplay.

Final Fantasy main games are plentiful and cheap. They are also very often found within a week after the game is released. That's why all these JRPGs are so amazingly front-loaded. And why SE lost a LOT of the potential profit they could have made if DQS had the supply it needed.

laserbeam

Banned
Oblivion said:
Holy shit, PS3's getting closer and closer to Wii.
Or is it the other way around?

Guess it was a bad idea to divert some of those Wiis to NA.

nah :p they sold out pretty near instantly state side so its not as if they lost sales. and next week probably be back in the 60k range for japan

ethelred

jj984jj said:
What quality issues? To me is sounds like they made it pretty short but nothing is really wrong with the game, sounds more fun than It's a Wonderful World to me.

A 7 hour RPG is a game with massive quality issues.

Cryect

Vinnk said:
Final Fantasy main games are plentiful and cheap. They are also very often found within a week after the game is released. That's why all these JRPGs are so amazingly front-loaded. And why SE lost a LOT of the potential profit they could have made if DQS had the supply it needed.

Curious just how cheap are used games in Japan? I'm just used to the used games being like $5 less for what seems forever at Gamestop here in the states.

Galactic Fork

apujanata said:
I hope FFCC:RoF have good legs. If a game is good, word of mouth will help it sell.

I think that depends mostly on how well the multiplayer takes off in japan. If the people don't care much for it, it'll have the same problem as DQS, which means a flood of used copies in a few weeks.

apujanata

JoshuaJSlone said:

Joshua, can you do a "if GCN stop selling, PS3 catches up to GCN in xxx weeks" ? I wanted to know how bad is PS3 condition, compared to GCN. I know that PS3 is selling behind GCN (42 weeks vs 18 weeks), but no idea of the future possibilities.

Edit : and one additional stat "How many units PS3 need to sell per week to catch up to GCN total AT 4 years from launch".

Cryect

apujanata said:
Joshua, can you do a "if GCN stop selling, PS3 catches up to GCN in xxx weeks" ? I wanted to know how bad is PS3 condition, compared to GCN. I know that PS3 is selling behind GCN (42 weeks vs 18 weeks), but no idea of the future possibilities.

At current sale rates PS3 will catch up in 189 weeks.
If the GCN stops selling the PS3 will catch up in 187.7 weeks
(doesn't matter much when you only sell 100 consoles a week, PS3 sales fluctuate more than GCN even sells).

apujanata

Cryect said:
Curious just how cheap are used games in Japan? I'm just used to the used games being like $5 less for what seems forever at Gamestop here in the states.

Yeah, I also would like to know how cheap those used FF main games are one week from launch. If it is 1000+ Yen cheaper ONE week from launch, I will just wait and buy used copy of games.

In a related question, how come Nintendo games have legs ? Is it because the "one week from launch used copy available" only applicable to JRPG ? I really don't understand why Nintendo games have legs (other than those never ending type of game, such as racing, brain / puzzle, simulation).

Vinnk

apujanata said:
Yeah, I also would like to know how cheap those used FF main games are one week from launch. If it is 1000+ Yen cheaper ONE week from launch, I will just wait and buy used copy of games.

In a related question, how come Nintendo games have legs ? Is it because the "one week from launch used copy available" only applicable to JRPG ? I really don't understand why Nintendo games have legs (other than those never ending type of game, such as racing, brain / puzzle, simulation).

A week after? Not a lot cleaper, maybe $5. But if we wait a few more weeks the market becomes flooded with used copies and the price drops to get rid of them.

Then there are games like New Super Mario Bros. or Animal Crossing. It was several months before I saw a single used copy and even now that used copies can be found, they are not significantly cheaper because the used game stores know they will sell easily. The 30 copies of FFXII they have 2 months after the release however have a low liklyhood of selling out unless the price is quite low.

Super Smash Bros. Melee (Gamecube) STILL usually sells for almost the same price as a new copy (You will usually save between $5-$10). That never fails to blow my mind.

ccbfan

I think a reason why its mainly a RPG thing is because there's really no replay value in RPG.

Most people that replay an rpg does ot years later. While its very easy for people in US and Europe to store hundred of games, in japan with their limited space its very difficult.

Very low Wii numbers, I guess if next week Wii sells 100k then it was a post holiday affect, but if it's 70k~ then Nintendo is probably diverting units to the US. Or demand is just slowing down.

apujanata said:
Sure thing. Before I even start I can say this: as in the US, PS3 in 2007 isn't doing so bad compared to GCN in 2002. It's just that the launch numbers sucked so hard that PS3 is struggling to make up for the deficit.

Depending on whether one likes Famitsu or Media Create, GCN is either close to 4.0 or 4.2 million in Japan. PS3 is at 1.1 million, so to catch up to GCN it needs 2.9-3.1 million more. Divide that by 16.4K/week, and we get 176-189 weeks; ~3.5 years. Though of course estimating several years straight of the exact same sales each week is bound to be horribly off.
Edit : and one additional stat "How many units PS3 need to sell per week to catch up to GCN total AT 4 years from launch".
Again, 2.9-3.1 million more needed. 4 years from launch, so I'll say 208 weeks. Do the division, and it comes to 13.9-14.9K/week. Or to put it another way, 723-773K per year from here out.

Of course, if PS3 does continue to act a lot like GCN, things can turn down pretty quick. GCN did ~1 million in each year 2001, 2002, and 2003... and then it takes 2004, 2005, and 2006 together to account for the remaining million.

cvxfreak

Vinnk said:
Super Smash Bros. Melee (Gamecube) STILL usually sells for almost the same price as a new copy (You will usually save between $5-$10). That never fails to blow my mind.

I've wanted to buy the Japanese Smash Bros. for years, but I could never justify the price stores still charge for it to this day. Why didn't Nintendo have a budget lineup for the GameCube?

GreenGlowingGoo said:
A used copy of Ouendan? You're the reason the numbers are so low!
Haha, by the time I got to Japan, it was impossible to find new! I bought Ouendan 2 five minutes after it went on sale though, does that count?

apujanata

JoshuaJSlone said:
Again, 2.9-3.1 million more needed. 4 years from launch, so I'll say 208 weeks. Do the division, and it comes to 13.9-14.9K/week. Or to put it another way, 723-773K per year from here out.

Of course, if PS3 does continue to act a lot like GCN, things can turn down pretty quick. GCN did ~1 million in each year 2001, 2002, and 2003... and then it takes 2004, 2005, and 2006 together to account for the remaining million.

Slight miscalculation on your part. 208 weeks is for the whole 4 year, although I ask "4 years from launch". Since it is about 42 weeks since launch for PS3, then the remaining weeks is = 208 - 42 = 166. The new revised average is : 17.4K - 18.6K.

I think the above figure translate to :
PS3 need to do this the next 3 years :
- keep the weekly rate above 10K for slow week.
- keep the weekly rate above 20K for non slow, non christmas weeks.
- keep the weekly rate above 50K for christmas weeks.

apujanata said:
Slight miscalculation on your part. 208 weeks is for the whole 4 year, although I ask "4 years from launch". Since it is about 42 weeks since launch for PS3, then the remaining weeks is = 208 - 42 = 166. The new revised average is : 17.4K - 18.6K.

I think the above figure translate to :
PS3 need to do this the next 3 years :
- keep the weekly rate above 10K for slow week.
- keep the weekly rate above 20K for non slow, non christmas weeks.
- keep the weekly rate above 50K for christmas weeks.

But in the end beating the GC is nothing to brag about.

AniHawk

Aw fuck it. I'm just gonna update this when I feel like. It's been 3 weeks.

DS
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass: 89
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings: 7
Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword: 4
Phoenix Wright 3: 4
Mega Man ZX Advent: 3
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games: 2
Sonic Rush Adventure: 2
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker: 1

Wii
Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 77
Super Mario Galaxy: 35
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles: 15
Fire Emblem: 8
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games: 7
NiGHTS: 5

Xbox 360
Halo 3: 419 (228 reg, 42 LE, 149 leg)
Mass Effect: 29
Star Wars the Force Unleashed: 16
Virtua Fighter 5: 4

PSP
God of War: Chains of Olympus: 17
Spider-Man 3: 10
Gran Turismo: 9
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: 6
Silent Hill: Origins: 4
Final Fantasy Tactics: 3
Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles: 2

PS3
Heavenly Sword: 19
Killzone 2: 4
Ratchet & Clank Future: 3
Little Big Planet: 1

Guitar Hero III: 189 (53 Wii, 24 PS3, 57 PS2, 55 360)
Grand Theft Auto IV: 73 (50 360, 23 PS3)
Assassin's Creed: 46 (13 PS3, 33 360)
Rock Band: 22 (19 360, 3 PS3)
Half-Life 2 Orange Box: 18 (15 360, 2 PC, 1 PS3)
Manhunt 2: 7 (3 PS2, 2 PSP, 2 Wii)

castle007

Banned
AniHawk said:
Aw fuck it. I'm just gonna update this when I feel like. It's been 3 weeks.

DS
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass: 89
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings: 7
Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword: 4
Phoenix Wright 3: 4
Mega Man ZX Advent: 3
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games: 2
Sonic Rush Adventure: 2
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker: 1

Wii
Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 77
Super Mario Galaxy: 35
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles: 15
Fire Emblem: 8
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games: 7
NiGHTS: 5

Xbox 360
Halo 3: 419 (228 reg, 42 LE, 149 leg)
Mass Effect: 29
Star Wars the Force Unleashed: 16
Virtua Fighter 5: 4

PSP
God of War: Chains of Olympus: 17
Spider-Man 3: 10
Gran Turismo: 9
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: 6
Silent Hill: Origins: 4
Final Fantasy Tactics: 3
Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles: 2

PS3
Heavenly Sword: 19
Killzone 2: 4
Ratchet & Clank Future: 3
Little Big Planet: 1

Guitar Hero III: 189 (53 Wii, 24 PS3, 57 PS2, 55 360)
Grand Theft Auto IV: 73 (50 360, 23 PS3)
Assassin's Creed: 46 (13 PS3, 33 360)
Rock Band: 22 (19 360, 3 PS3)
Half-Life 2 Orange Box: 18 (15 360, 2 PC, 1 PS3)
Manhunt 2: 7 (3 PS2, 2 PSP, 2 Wii)

what is this?

Evlar

Banned
Wow, look at all those copies of GH3 on Wii... That surprises me.

Are you being told to push SSBB particularly hard? Guys at the local store know I own a Wii and that's the only game they ask for a pre-order on. It's like Galaxy doesn't exist.

Top Bottom