• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 8/20 - 8/26

AniHawk

ComputerNerd said:
Hey Anihawk, how many did Metroid sell?

I'll have a better idea how the week goes when I close on Saturday. At the three day mark, it looked like this:

36 shipped
28 preordered

15 preordered sold
5 non-preordered sold

About 50% of the original shipment in 3 days. I'm assuming some people are picking theirs up today and tomorrow, because a couple had the game fully paid off.

Also, we had one guy pick his up here because the other gamestop was sold out of non-reserves.

donny2112

Caught up on this thread, too, now. :)

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Leonsito said:
Fixed, who doesn't expect 1+ million from FFVII:CC ?
Me :/

Me, too.

cvxfreak said:
That would be a record, two (eventual) million sellers released in the same week... right?

At least one of those won't sell a million. Besides, doesn't that usually happen at the end of the year when the big games all get released around the same time?

Izzy said:
I don't.

300k first week, 500k LTD.

Which would be AWESOME for a FF spin-off. No FF spin-off ever sold more than 1m. But all of the sudden Crisis Core will, and on PSP to boot. Yeah right...

Most of the lads in this thread have surreal expectations.

On the one hand, this is a Sony guy agreeing that CC:FFVII won't sell 1 million.
On the other hand, I recall Izzy having a history of underselling Sony games before release and saying "It did better than I thought" afterwards. :lol

Forgotten Ancient said:
Look at that DS - it simply refuses to drop below 100k.

It's the lowest it's been since it sold 80,012 the week of 26 March - 1 April earlier this year.

I think CC:FFVII can sell 1 million, but it'll have to do at least MH2P-like 1st week numbers. I don't think it'll have the legs.

cbjars

Hate to be the Devils advocate but the PS2 At the moment is still alive, if i was a Indy software company, i be making games for PS2, low cost to develop plus a huge market to sell to.

- anyone think i am crazy? As an entrepentuer myself i see alot of money that could still be made in the Playstation 2 market. Esspecially in Japan.

AniHawk

cbjars said:
Hate to be the Devils advocate but the PS2 At the moment is still alive, if i was a Indy software company, i be making games for PS2, low cost to develop plus a huge market to sell to.

- anyone think i am crazy? As an entrepentuer myself i see alot of money that could still be made in the Playstation 2 market. Esspecially in Japan.

Maybe for another year or two. By the time you'd get your game out, focus will have shifted dramatically.

apujanata

AniHawk said:
I'll have a better idea how the week goes when I close on Saturday. At the three day mark, it looked like this:

36 shipped
28 preordered

15 preordered sold
5 non-preordered sold

About 50% of the original shipment in 3 days. I'm assuming some people are picking theirs up today and tomorrow, because a couple had the game fully paid off.

Also, we had one guy pick his up here because the other gamestop was sold out of non-reserves.

Interesting data. If we assume that the 10K multiplier are also applicable, it means around 330K sales of Metroid Prime in August (28 if all pre-order are picked up +5 non preordered sold)

Meier

I think Crisis Core will do an LTD of 1m, but expect first week sales to be about 700k. I suppose it really revolves around how many Square ships... if they undership it, it will devestate the legs as we've seen with DS titles.

cbjars, while it sounds like a good idea, it really isn't.

By the time you release your game, PS2 games won't recieve as much press. It'll sell mostly on the power of used games and hardware, while the current gen systems receive the lion's share of the attention. You'd be better off making games for Wii Ware, PSN, or Live. You won't have to pay for physical media, and you'll have lower dev costs and a good way to see just how much you sold via download numbers.

Or, if you absolutely want to make a physical game, make a game for Wii with both a classic controller and a wiimote scheme.

AniHawk

apujanata said:
Interesting data. If we assume that the 10K multiplier are also applicable, it means around 330K sales of Metroid Prime in August (28 if all pre-order are picked up +5 non preordered sold)

I'm guessing 120k-150k at most, personally. It's a nice seller, but it isn't crazy-huge like Bioshock. I had more people today asking about Mario Party or Carnival Games than Metroid Prime 3. With regards to Carnival Games, most of the Wii owners I've met are parents that think: "OH MY KID'S A MORON. WHY NOT GET HIM A BUNCH OF GAMES IN ONE FOR $40!?!"

Sharp

AniHawk said:
I'm guessing 120k-150k at most, personally. It's a nice seller, but it isn't crazy-huge like Bioshock. I had more people today asking about Mario Party or Carnival Games than Metroid Prime 3.
Just as I predicted, Carnival Games is becoming a success.

AniHawk

Sharp said:
Just as I predicted, Carnival Games is becoming a success.

Well maybe, if there aren't enough people like me to tell them the game's a piece of shit.

"OH MY SON LIKES SPONGEBOB"

WELL SPONGEBOB IS A FUCKING TERRIBLE GAME FOR ANYONE

Sharp

AniHawk said:
Well maybe, if there aren't enough people like me to tell them the game's a piece of shit.

"OH MY SON LIKES SPONGEBOB"

WELL SPONGEBOB IS A FUCKING TERRIBLE GAME FOR ANYONE
I heard the Sponegbob game was actually not terrible. Of course, that could have been lies.

Sharp

bmf said:
Lies I tell you. Lies!

Stealth Edit: Your stealth edit sucked the funny out of my post.
I should really use the Preview button more but then I'd have to press tab one more time and the wasted effort would just be so... wasteful.

AniHawk

Sharp said:
I heard the Sponegbob game was actually not terrible. Of course, that could have been lies.

It's more of a general thing than a Wii-specific thing. A lot of parents think their kids are fucking idiots.

AniHawk said:
It's more of a general thing than a Wii-specific thing. A lot of parents think their kids are fucking idiots.
Most of their kids are fucking idiots. So are most of the parents for that matter. Fuck. I hate people.

AniHawk

bmf said:
Most of their kids are fucking idiots. So are most of the parents for that matter. Fuck. I hate people.

Well that is true, but parents should think better of their kids than to get whatever shuts them up for a couple of hours. Still, we get little morons and future thug wannabes trying to pick up 50 Cent/187 Ride or Die/25 to Life all the fucking time.

AniHawk said:
Well that is true, but parents should think better of their kids than to get whatever shuts them up for a couple of hours. Still, we get little morons and future thug wannabes trying to pick up 50 Cent/187 Ride or Die/25 to Life all the fucking time.
I wonder if that refutes this article or not. It came with one of the funniest titles I think I've ever seen on digg:

Hip Hop Sales Collapsing: "They can no longer fool the white kids."

:D

Frillen

AniHawk said:
375k in August means 375k in 5 days. Won't happen.

If so, then it has to beat out Metroid Prime's opening month, which was somewhere between 300k and 350k in November. That's going to be hard.

Meier said:
I think Crisis Core will do an LTD of 1m, but expect first week sales to be about 700k. I suppose it really revolves around how many Square ships... if they undership it, it will devestate the legs as we've seen with DS titles.
700k first week? Really?

cbjars said:

The software market for PS2 has been shrinking the last few years; at least as a percentage of the total. Actually we've just recently hit the point in Japan where total PS2 game sales and total Wii game sales are pretty equal. By the time any game started today is complete, though, that will no longer be the case.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
JoshuaJSlone said:
The software market for PS2 has been shrinking the last few years; at least as a percentage of the total. Actually we've just recently hit the point in Japan where total PS2 game sales and total Wii game sales are pretty equal. By the time any game started today is complete, though, that will no longer be the case.

Exactly, the problem is the PS2 in America.

It continues to sell well and the Wii game sales are very far from equal with the PS2.

Famitsu numbers...

DSL - 101,000
Wii - 48,000
PSP - 22,000
PS3 - 17,000
PS2 - 16,000
360 - 2,000

1. NDS Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fates - 77,000 (~284,000)
2. PS3 Bladestorm - 63,000 (over 90% sold through)
3. PS2 Sengoku Musou 2 Mushoden - 58,000 (~233,000)
4. Wii Mario Party 8 - 43,000 (~752,000)
5. PS2 Gintama Gin-San to Issho! Boku no Kabuki Machi Nikki - 35,000

Other new titles
6. NDS One Piece Gear Spirit - 30,000
9. NDS Summon Night Twin Age: Seireitachi no Kyoumei - 21,000
12. PS2 Beatmania II DX13 DistorteD - 17,000
23. PS2 Kateikyoushi Hitman Reborn! Dream Hyper Battle - 11,000
... 360 Hitman Blood Money - 5,500
... NDS Oni Zero: Sengoku Ransei Hyakkaryouran - 1,600

Other titles
7. NDS Gyakuten Saiban 3 - 27,000 (~92,000)
8. NDS My Housekeeping Diary - 21,000 (~166,000)
21. PS3 Minna no Golf 5 - 12,000 (~295,000)
24. NDS Zelda Phantom Hourglass - 11,000 (~771,000)
DQS is out of top30.

Sharp

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Famitsu numbers...

DSL 101,000
PSP 22,000
PS2 16,000
PS3 17,000
Wii 48,000
360 2,000

1.FFCC 77,000(計284000)
2.ブレスト 63,000
3.Sengoku Musou 2 Mushoden 58,000(計233000)
4.Mario Party 8 43,000(計752000)
5.Gintama 35,000

Other new titles
6.ワンピ 30000
9.サモン 21000
12.II寺13 17000
23.かてきょ 11000
...Hitman 5500
...ONI零 1600

Other titles
7.Gyakuten Saiban 3 27000(計92000)
8.Household Economy 21000(計166000)
21.Mingol5 12000(計295000)
24.Zelda DS 11000(計771000)
DQS out of top30.
Wow those are some low sales.

Please don't copy the whole message (because I'm putting it right xd).

#2 is Bladestorm and did quite well, over 90% sold through (I wasn't sure which game it was...excite translator took it as BREST and I was like WTF?).

Talamius

Won't know until NPD day for sure but it seems like Nintendo has routed some stock to the US and/or Europe.

I think we'd have seen another drop if demand had leveled off.

ethelred

Very nice sales for Bladestorm, especially considering it's Koei and this isn't (by name) a Musou game.

Crystal Chronicles continues to track just a little bit higher than the GameCube original:

Code:
Crystal Chronicles	GC  	191,602  	70,360  	27,968  	355,470
Crystal Chronices: RoF	NDS	207,000		77,000				284,000

I'm very disappointed in Summon Night's poor performance -- I really hoped the game would get a DS boost. Its 21,000 first week sales is basically identical to Swordcraft Story 3's first week, and it was the weakest performer of the three:

Code:
SN: Swordcraft Story 	GBA 	32,601
SN: Swordcraft Story 2	GBA 	55,636
SN: Swordcraft Story 3 	GBA 	22,901
SN: Twin Age		NDS	21,000

ethelred said:
Crystal Chronicles continues to track just a little bit higher than the GameCube original:[/CODE]

WTH, then why was this thread full of people stating how disappointing FFCC sells and how it wont even reach the numbers of its GCN-precedessor? Baka baka :-/

But yeah, weak sales overall.
Has something happened?

Nintendo's obviously started stockpiling/redirecting for Xmas. The PSP is probably seeing its stock dwindle due to the new hotness coming. The PS3 is actually hanging onto a decent portion of the Minnabump. Everything else isn't really unexpected.

ethelred

MasterMFauli said:
WTH, then why was this thread full of people stating how disappointing FFCC sells and how it wont even reach the numbers of its GCN-precedessor?

I really don't have any idea.

Jokeropia

Impressive indeed for Bladestorm, though it doesn't seem to have helped PS3 sales much. (Or maybe it did by postponing a drop back to ~10k levels.)

Like last week, software sales in general are pretty good while hardware sales are low.

Top Bottom