• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 8/20 - 8/26

Tf53

cvxfreak said:
I've wanted to buy the Japanese Smash Bros. for years, but I could never justify the price stores still charge for it to this day. Why didn't Nintendo have a budget lineup for the GameCube?
They had one in Europe, at least. Called Player's Choice. It didn't extend to Japan?

Evlar

Banned
They had a Players Choice in the US as well. Like Halo 2 on the XBox Smash Brothers never got added to the budget line because it never stopped selling.

Odysseus

Banned
AniHawk said:
Halo 3: 419 (228 reg, 42 LE, 149 leg)
Guitar Hero III: 189 (53 Wii, 24 PS3, 57 PS2, 55 360)
Rock Band: 22 (19 360, 3 PS3)

holy crap @ halo

and holy crap @ how bad rock band is going to get pounded by guitar hero iii

cvxfreak

Tf53 said:
They had one in Europe, at least. Called Player's Choice. It didn't extend to Japan?

A few third parties in Japan had their own line ups, like Sega, Hudson and Capcom for example. But Nintendo never released price dropped versions of their GameCube games, ever. It took until 2006 for Nintendo budge with the GBA, and none of their most popular games were on the line up.

Nintendo's got the idea right in the west, but they're really lagging behind in Japan. Discount games don't play a huge factor in Japan like they do in the west, although Capcom in particular does well with them. Gyakuten Saiban and Monster Hunter are the notable ones. So are Square Enix's various re-releases.

The Sphinx said:
They had a Players Choice in the US as well. Like Halo 2 on the XBox Smash Brothers never got added to the budget line because it never stopped selling.

Smash Bros. Melee was on the lineup, but Nintendo actually look it out in 2005 or so.

AniHawk

The Sphinx said:
Wow, look at all those copies of GH3 on Wii... That surprises me.

Are you being told to push SSBB particularly hard? Guys at the local store know I own a Wii and that's the only game they ask for a pre-order on. It's like Galaxy doesn't exist.

Nah, it's just an easier sell to the Wii's huge multiplayer crowd. I recommend Mario first all the time whenever someone asks me what's coming up.

AniHawk

Odysseus said:
holy crap @ halo

and holy crap @ how bad rock band is going to get pounded by guitar hero iii

I'm assuming we'll get somewhere between 475-500 for Halo 3 unless they cut off the SKUs before then. It's already a good 20 higher than what we hit for Halo 2.

Odysseus

Banned
the interesting thing about those preorders is that, outside of halo 3, the bulk of the preorders for 360/ps3 titles are multiplatform games yet forumdwellers and games media waste so much time arguing over exclusives. meanwhile, the people actually deciding the console war just want their guitar heroes and assassin's creeds.

and wii sports.

AniHawk said:
I'm assuming we'll get somewhere between 475-500 for Halo 3 unless they cut off the SKUs before then. It's already a good 20 higher than what we hit for Halo 2.
Didn't you do some sort of Halo 2 first month estimations? Will you apply it to halo3 and estimate how well it's gonna sell?

AniHawk

titiklabingapat said:
Didn't you do some sort of Halo 2 first month estimations? Will you apply it to halo3 and estimate how well it's gonna sell?

In some cases in the past, sales numbers for the first month equal the reservation number multiplied by 100k. I thought Halo 2 did 4m in Nov/Dec 04. The most likely explanation is that it's incredibly coincidental.

Neo C.

apujanata said:
I think you can stop counting the DSL, until you noticed that DSL became sold out again in the future (if it ever happen, which I doubt).
How about November and December?

AniHawk

titiklabingapat said:
So Halo 3 should clear 4M easily. A bit frontloaded considering the userbase but it's expected since it's a sequel.

If it sold 4m, it would have one of the highest attach rates in recent history. That's where my only skepticism comes from. Then again, it's Halo 3.

Branduil

Well, Halo 3 obviously will have a much higher pre-order-to-final-sales ratio than most games, but it could still sell more than 4 million by the end of the year in the U.S.

First day surprising numbers

PS3 Bladestorm - 40k (running out of stock in many places)
High support from users who downloaded the demo, bundle hardly moves though. 3rd best selling PS3 title first day after Gundam Musou and Minna no Golf 5. It seems it'll exceed 100k easily.

PS2 Gintama Gin-San to Issho! Boku no Kabuki Machi Nikki - 20k
NDS One Piece Gear Spirit - 20k
PS2 Beatmania II DX13 DistorteD - 10k
NDS Summon Night Twin Age: Seireitachi no Kyoumei - 10k
PS2 Kateikyoushi Hitman Reborn! Dream Hyper Battle - 8k
360 Hitman Blood Money - 5k
NDS Oni Zero: Sengoku Ransei Hyakkaryouran - <1k

sankao

AniHawk said:
If it sold 4m, it would have one of the highest attach rates in recent history. That's where my only skepticism comes from. Then again, it's Halo 3.

But Gears is already at 3.7 millions, isn't it ? I don't know how many copies Halo 3 will sell, but I don't see it selling less than Gears.

jj984jj said:
I hope it ends up doing better. :( Anything about how much was shipped?
Nope...not even about Bladestorm but (if i'm translating correctly) sinobi expected a higher number for summon night because its a very front-loaded rpg series like Tales.

sankao

Jokeropia said:
Worldwide yes, but not in USA alone.
Ok, didn't notice we were talking NPD alone. 4 millions at NPD would mean an attach rate of around 60% (with the new consoles sold for the holiday season), which would indeed be insane.

Lobster

Banned
Bo130 said:
Wow, what a week. DSL so close to going down beneath 100k O.O

I wonder what happened..obviously Wii shipments were sent to the US but is there anything significant coming for the DS or do they think that Wii sales will make more DS sales in the US... :s

tanod

when is my burrito
Kurosaki Ichigo said:

High support from users who downloaded the demo, bundle hardly moves though. 3rd best selling PS3 title first day after Gundam Musou and Minna no Golf 5. It seems it'll exceed 100k easily.

Cool. Demo was fun and the game has some neat RPG elements to it as well. It seems like it deserves the sales.

Vinnk said:
You can pre-order whatever you want as long as you pay for it.
"Do you believe in UFOs, astral projections, Gran Turismo Portable, ESP, Metroid Dread, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, Duke Nukem Forever, the Loch Ness monster and the theory of Atlantis?"
The Sphinx said:
It actually did go Player's Choice. However, when they decided to retire the $30 tier of Player's Choice, they un-Player's Choiced it rather than drop it down that extra $10. I believe it retained a "Best Seller" mark or some such.

botticus

JoshuaJSlone said:
"Do you believe in UFOs, astral projections, Gran Turismo Portable, ESP, Metroid Dread, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, Duke Nukem Forever, the Loch Ness monster and the theory of Atlantis?"

It actually did go Player's Choice. However, when they decided to retire the $30 tier of Player's Choice, they un-Player's Choiced it rather than drop it down that extra $10. I believe it retained a "Best Seller" mark or some such.
But then they brought back the $30 Player's Choice line for Mario Strikers and Mario Baseball, it's all very convoluted.

Haunted

Looking at Ani's numbers Halo truly trumps all. Sales are going to be ridiculous. Guitar Hero III surprisingly big, as is SSBB. wow.

AniHawk said:
I am. We have 2 reservations, including my own.
good man.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
AniHawk said:
Aw fuck it. I'm just gonna update this when I feel like. It's been 3 weeks.
holy god damn hell at halo 3......... it really is going to probably be the number one selling game this fall on any single platform.

rock band is going to get beaten by GH3 no matter what.. it's half the price. also take into account that GH3 is on 4 systems, three of which have nice big userbases, whereas rock band is only on two systems, only one with a decent userbase. I still expect Rock Band to perform much like how GH1 did. Slow, steady, and always sold out.

Very interesting that Wii is only two behind 360 for GH3, and both are only 2-4 behind PS2. I firmly expect to see both individually outsell the PS2, and possibly even the Wii version outselling the 360 version. Like IGN said, the ultimate casual game on the ultimate casual system.

and last but not least, holy crap at SSBB having the third highest pre-order of any single title per system. to only lose to Halo3 and ZPH says a lot about how this title is gonna sell. Nintendo better put online in it though, or there's going to be a revolt.

botticus

borghe said:
and last but not least, holy crap at SSBB having the third highest pre-order of any single title per system. to only lose to Halo3 and ZPH says a lot about how this title is gonna sell. Nintendo better put online in it though, or there's going to be a revolt.
Worth noting that Zelda has been in the system for ages... I think I put my preorder in over a year ago. Brawl just opened up recently. After E3, I think?

ethelred

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

PS2 Gintama Gin-San to Issho! Boku no Kabuki Machi Nikki - 20k
NDS One Piece Gear Spirit - 20k
PS2 Beatmania II DX13 DistorteD - 10k
NDS Summon Night Twin Age: Seireitachi no Kyoumei - 10k
PS2 Kateikyoushi Hitman Reborn! Dream Hyper Battle - 8k
360 Hitman Blood Money - 5k
NDS Oni Zero: Sengoku Ransei Hyakkaryouran - <1k

Damn. Those are major bomb numbers for Summon Night. :/

Sharp

Segata Sanshiro said:
mabuza hasn't made a single post on GAF worth reading since he got here. I wouldn't really expect him to start now.
He sure makes some awesome threads though.

FrankT

There might be something to this diverting of shipments to the US. I saw 3 or 4 Wiis just sitting in the locked cabinet today at Wal-Mart. I hardly ever see any, I've only ever seen 1, and to see 3 or 4 there I was a little taken back.

Top Bottom