• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 8/20 - 8/26

Grampasso

Pureauthor said:
... FFVII: DoC, a complete PoS, managed to sell 500K. Why wouldn't Crisis Core do at least equitable numbers?
Mmmh... Being PSP games hugely front loaded (especially RPGs and the like) I think Crisis Core should sell at least 700k at launch to reach Platinum Status. Anywhere below that mark would lead to a sub-platinum performance, IMHO.

Slavik81

05. [NDS] My Housekeeping Diary (Nintendo) - 24,000 / 146,000

What the hell? Yeah, non-games and all that... But a housekeeping diary sounds like the developers tried to think of the most boring concept they could possibly come up with to develop a DS title around.

Apparently it worked.

apujanata

Slavik81 said:
What the hell? Yeah, non-games and all that... But a housekeeping diary sounds like the developers tried to think of the most boring concept they could possibly come up with to develop a DS title around.

Apparently it worked.

I think Housekeeping diary is a very good software for non-working mother. Like Calculator/To do List application for PDA / Mobile Phone. You do not really need them, but it is nice to have when you need them. I heard it also have functions to calculate total expense, but not so sure about it. It should be selling at least 500K LTD, IMO.

Slavik81 said:

Apparently it worked.
This isn't even a non-game, from what I know it's an application. Just like Cooking Navi is an application and not a game or non-game.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Magicpaint said:
Why are people trying to paint FF:CC as some sort of failure? With a 240k first shipment, this isn't that bad at all.
What? I thought it was 400k?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Magicpaint said:
IIRC, it was reduced to that because they overshipped games like FFXII International and IaWW.
Well in that case it did great, especially in Famitsu!

Pristine_Condition said:
WTF?

If FF: Crisis Core on the PSP does better than that, (which sorta seems possible now,) the internets will asplode.
I agree it's lower than I expected, but I don't see why "Crisis Core versus Crystal Chronicles" necessarily means anything more than "III versus I & II" or "Reventant Wings versus Tactics", or any other of the various FF DS/PSP combinations we could make.
Magicpaint said:
Why are people trying to paint FF:CC as some sort of failure? With a 240k first shipment, this isn't that bad at all.
It's not that it's awful, but I kind of expected that within the same series of games a 2007 DS game wouldn't start so comparably to a 2003 GameCube game.

ethelred

JoshuaJSlone said:
It's not that it's awful, but I kind of expected that within the same series of games a 2007 DS game wouldn't start so comparably to a 2003 GameCube game.

Sounds like there are quality issues, though.

Saitou

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
It would be a shame if they're actually putting a lot into the Wii CC to prematurely blow away interest with a subpar DS CC.
RoF I can let slide, but if SE fuck up Crystal Bearers I'm killing every last one of them, even if it means swimming to Japan on my own.

ccbfan

JoshuaJSlone said:
I agree it's lower than I expected, but I don't see why "Crisis Core versus Crystal Chronicles" necessarily means anything more than "III versus I & II" or "Reventant Wings versus Tactics", or any other of the various FF DS/PSP combinations we could make.

I think the reason why they're compared is because

1. They're released so close together

2. This is the first new square game for the PSP. All the others were ports or crappy remakes.

3. First FF announced on the DS versus first FF announced on the PSP. There's been a lot of time for the hype.

4. Both Side games

Izzy

Banned
Fixed, who doesn't expect 1+ million from FFVII:CC ?

I don't.

300k first week, 500k LTD.

Which would be AWESOME for a FF spin-off. No FF spin-off ever sold more than 1m. But all of the sudden Crisis Core will, and on PSP to boot. Yeah right...

Most of the lads in this thread have surreal expectations.

Kosma

Banned
Izzy said:
I don't.

300k first week, 500k LTD.

Which would be AWESOME for a FF spin-off. No FF spin-off ever sold more than 1m. But all of the sudden Crisis Core will, and on PSP to boot. Yeah right...

Most of the lads in this thread have surreal expectations.

FF7 CC is the mother of all spin offs. It must sell over a million LTD.

Elios83

Wait what?
Now people expect FF7CC to be a million seller in a matter of a few weeks?:lol
It will probably debut between 300k and 450k in the first week with a LTD of about 1 million if it has legs until the holyday season.
I don't see this game to be a new Monster Hunter but it will do well enough to keep Square Enix happy and so their PSP support.

Izzy

Banned
Let me put it this way:

-No FF spin-off ever sold a million

-only 2 weeks from release and yet there's still no TVCM from Square. For comparision, games like Lion Wars or CC had much stronger marketing campaign

-It's a PSP game, and the userbase is limited

But all of the sudden it's gonna be the first FF spin-off to sell million, 700k first week! Ok...

We didn't get either retailer orders or first shipment info yet. But yeah, SE marketing for CC looks subpar (website is crappy, no tvcm). The only major marketing tactic is the 77777 new PSP bundles going on sale 1 week before Sony releases it, and that's thanks to Sony.

I still remember the 13 or so weeks with FFXII RW videos and updates...

Xeke

Banned
How long is the game supposed to be? It's sales will be affected by how quickly used copies get out on the market.

Vinnk

vinnksvillagemed.jpg

"Vinnk's Village" Anecdotal Report

Hey guys, no report last week because I was out of town and then moving to a new apartment. I don’t know if it would have mattered anyway with all the NPD excitement. But I am back again today.

This week I was asked to look for Wii, DS lite, Final Fantasy CC: RoF and Gyakuten Saiban 3, I visited the stores on Thursday, August 30th, 2007.

Jusco
Wii: 2
DS lite: 11
GS3: 2
FFCC:RoF: 3

Youme Town
Wii: Sold out
DS lite: 7
GS3: 1
FFCC:RoF: Sold Out

Mr. Max
Wii: 3
DS lite: 6
GS3: Sold out
FFCC:RoF: Sold out

Book-Net
DS lite: 8
GS3: 1
FFCC:RoF: Sold out

Goody
Wii: sold out
DS lite: 4
GS3: None
FFCC:RoF: None

Best Denki
Wii: 6
DS lite: 12
FFCC:RoF: 9

Wanpaku
Wii: 2
DS lite: 8
GS3: Sold Out
FFCC:RoF: 3

Famicom Dojo
DS lite: 2
GS3: Sold Out
FFCC:RoF: 1

Yamada Denki
Wii: 8
DS lite: 10
FFCC:RoF: 8

TOTALS:
Wii: 21
DS lite: 65
Gyakuten Saiban 3: 8
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates: 24

NOTES:

1. Wii is very interesting. During the last 2 weeks I checked on it at every store I visited. Sometimes there would be several in a store and sometimes there would be zero. This is very different from how it has been for the last few months where it was a rare occurrence to see a Wii in a store at all and if you did, there were only one or 2 at most. What this tells me is that the Wii is still selling (thus the stores with no units) but that fact that sometimes you can see as many as 8 sitting in a store with no rabid mothers pushing kids out of the way to get one, shows some sign of slowing demand. But I personally feel that this will be short lived. When Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros. hit, I am fairly certain Wii will be supply constrained again.

2. DS lite is not supply constrained. You still might have to go to a few stores to find your perfect color, but in general anyone can get a DS who wants one. Is it worth it to keep gathering numbers for the DS lite at this point?

3. The games stores are starting to really push FF: Crisis Core. There are kiosks set up in Wanpaku, Best and Yamada Denki. Even the convenience stores are showing the trailer for the game on their cash registers(which, yes, have video screens). I would say this is probably the most hype I have seen for a PSP game since Monster Hunter 2.

4. Dragon Quest Swords is selling very well, but as a used game. I see many people buying it and many people selling it. It is great for the used game stores (they make more money on used than new games) but pretty bad for Square-Enix because there is little reason to buy this game new when cheaper, mint condition copies, can be found almost everywhere. Several of my students bought it recently and none of them bought it new. I can guarantee you that over 1 million people will buy the game. But most of those sales will be the same copies re-bought and resold.

5. Gyakuten Saiban 3 is sold out at most stores in my town. I don’t think the retailers were expecting it to sell this well since it is a GBA remake. I pre-ordered 3 copies and I am glad I did because there weren't 3 copies to be found at any of the stores in my town. These sales must take even Capcom by surprise.

6. The regular game store Otaku (nerds) in my town continue to discuss DQIX and recently some of them are getting hyped for Final Fantasy Crisis Core. As for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates (DS) very few of them have any interest in the title. The main thing that is keeping them away is the name. Crystal Chronicles for Gamecube was not the type of game these JRPG fans were hoping for and they told me that they have no interest in further games in that series (despite me tellin ghem that is is actually quite different). They do hope for a sequel to “It’s A Wonderful World” though which shows they are willing to try games in a new series. Interestingly enough one of them asked me if I had played “Bioshock” since he read about it online and really wants to try it. This again goes to show how small of a segment the hardcore really are in Japan.

Previous Reports:

August 11th,2007
July 26th, 2007
July 19th, 2007
July 12th, 2007
July 5th, 2007
June 28th, 2007
June 21st, 2007
June 14th, 2007
June 7th, 2007
May 30th, 2007
May 24th, 2007
May 17th, 2007
May 10th, 2007

donny2112

Sorry if this has already been posted. This is the two-week chart that apujanata was able to snag. :D

Famitsu Aug 6-19

1. WII Mario Party 8 230154 / 659627
2. NDS SD Gundam G Generation Cross Drive 181429 / NEW
3. PS2 J-League Winning Eleven 2007 Club Championship 84258 / 220788
4. NDS Donkey Kong: Jungle Climber 80740 / NEW
5. PS2 FFXII International Zodiac 76004 / NEW
6. WII Wii Sports 69439 / 1910418
7. WII Wii Play 56079 / 1484286
8. PS3 Minna no Golf 5 50555 / 269575
9. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 46377 / 4748433
10. NDS Zelda: Phantom Hourglass 45418 / 746959
11. NDS My Housekeeping Diary 44619 / 121940
12. NDS Brain Training 2 44267 / 4611016
13. NDS Mario Kart DS 42318 / 2377300
14. NDS It's a Wonderful World 41145 / 163397
15. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 39602 / 4306451
16. PSP Wild Arms: Crossfire 38030 / NEW
17. NDS Observation Training 37476 / 524569
18. PS2 Jikkyou Power Pro Baseball 14 35427 / 261584
19. NDS Itadaki Street DS 34851 / 339743
20. NDS Wantame Uranai Channel 34810 / NEW
21. NDS More English Training 33636 / 487709
22. NDS Brain Training 30651 / 3484314
23. WII Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors 26465 / 446728
24. NDS English Training 25664 / 1957778
25. NDS Naruto Shippuuden: Saikyou Ninja Daikesshuu 5 23494 / 77965
26. PSP GTA: Liberty City Stories 22769 / 79583
27. NDS Facening Training 21763 / 44289
28. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 19427 / 1284807
29. NDS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 18424 / 5283004
30. NDS Chibi-Robo: Park Patrol 18089 / 134506

ccbfan

Hmm FF7CC week is going to be a interesting week.

There seems to be a lot of people that think it has no chance of beating FFCC while there many that thinks] it'll reach close to a mil.

Whatever the case, there going to be a lot of crow eating.

I say it'll at least double FFCC's first 3 weeks, in its first three weeks.

Vinnk said:
6. The regular game store Otaku (nerds) in my town continue to discuss DQIX and recently some of them are getting hyped for Final Fantasy Crisis Core. As for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates (DS) very few of them have any interest in the title. The main thing that is keeping them away is the name. Crystal Chronicles for Gamecube was not the type of game these JRPG fans were hoping for and they told me that they have no interest in further games in that series (despite me tellin ghem that is is actually quite different). They do hope for a sequel to “It’s A Wonderful World” though which shows they are willing to try games in a new series. Interestingly enough one of them asked me if I had played “Bioshock” since he read about it online and really wants to try it. This again goes to show how small of a segment the hardcore really are in Japan.

Even Bioshock has penetrated Japan, next-gen has officially started.

cvxfreak

Crisis Core was always destined to beat Crystal Chronicles, though (well I thought so anyway).

Whether it can beat FFIII or even Revenant Wings is the real question here.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
CANLI said:
The FFCC DS heroes have 6 years old children faces.

50851020070327_140021_6_big.jpg

These faces cold me to buy the game.

Also don't they age during the course of the game so they're teens later?

31./28. [NDS] English Training (Nintendo)
32./21. [NDS] Naruto Shippuuden: Strongest Ninjas Unite 5: Decisive Battle at Dawn (Takara-Tomy)
33./26. [PSP] Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (Capcom)
34./27. [NDS] Pokémon Pearl (Pokémon)
35./36. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (Capcom)
36./33. [NDS] Common Knowledge Training (Nintendo)
37./29. [NDS] Yoshi's Island DS (Nintendo)
38./31. [NDS] Kanji Brain Test 2M (IE Institute)
39./32. [NDS] Chibi Robo! Park Patrol (Nintendo)
40./30. [WII] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball Wii (Konami)
41./00. [WII] Endless Ocean (Nintendo)
42./00. [PS2] Sengoku Musou 2 (Koei)
43./50. [NDS] Heart Scan (Sega)
44./34. [NDS] Mushi King Super Collection (Sega)
45./35. [NDS] Won!tertainment: Fortune Channel (Capcom)
46./41. [NDS] Detailed Japanese History B Total Training (Bandai-Namco)
47./00. [PS2] Sengoku Musou 2 & Sengoku Musou 2: Moushouden (Koei)
48./37. [NDS] Kirarin Revolution: Mezase Idol Queen! (Konami)
49./00. [NDS] Phoenix Wright 2 (Capcom)
50./45. [NDS] Tetris DS (Nintendo)

NDS - 34
PS2 - 6
WII - 6
PSP - 3
PS3 - 1

hardware.gif

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. NDS   -   100,460 |   153,834 | 5,095,177 | 19,100,856
2. WII   -    46,283 |    73,938 | 2,550,779 |  3,470,422
3. PSP   -    26,089 |    33,715 | 1,347,470 |  5,879,599
4. PS3   -    16,393 |    21,720 |   643,854 |  1,101,412
5. PS2   -    15,139 |    15,240 |   531,794 | 20,686,653
6. 360   -     2,044 |     2,445 |   139,723 |    404,425
7. GBA   -       651 |       654 |    45,296 | 15,343,375
8. NGC   -       116 |       145 |     9,392 |  4,178,860
GBA = 65 GBA + 163 SP + 423 Micro
NDS = 30 DS + 100,430 Lite

s_20070820.png

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wow, I want to say that's the Wii's lowest week since Gundam or right around there?

With Vinnk's report, is Wii demand possibly stabilizing for the time being?

laserbeam

Banned
Odysseus said:
ah. but wii shipments are off, at least.

The Drop certainly seems to back up the idea of shipment diversion to America in time for Metroid. Stores Got extra large shipments just days before Metroids release with 30 units or more being an average shipment recieved. if they diverted 20,000 units thats 666 stores getting 30 units each

Look at that DS - it simply refuses to drop below 100k.

Pretty crummy week overall though. I wouldn't expect the Nintendo sales to drop so much since they're usually supply dependent. Perhaps more shipments were diverted...or perhaps demand is starting to wane a little. Guess we'll have to see how next week pans out.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Odysseus said:
everything (sans ps2) is down pretty sharply this week.

That's okay, it all had to come back to reality.

Even then the DS is selling above 100,000 :lol

cvxfreak said:
Phoenix Wright 2 returns, but not 4? :lol

If 2 is the better game than 4, I may as well skip the 4th game and jump in the new trilogy at the 5th game

:lol

laserbeam said:
The Drop certainly seems to back up the idea of shipment diversion to America in time for Metroid. Stores Got extra large shipments just days before Metroids release with 30 units or more being an average shipment recieved. if they diverted 20,000 units thats 666 stores getting 30 units each

16.gif

Frillen

A major decrease in both hardware and software sales. Not surprising though, consider it's the week after the holdiday.

Odysseus

Banned
laserbeam said:

why does it have to be 666? people around here already hate wii's success as it is.

cvxfreak

Hcoregamer00 said:
If 2 is the better game than 4, I may as well skip the 4th game and jump in the new trilogy at the 5th game

:lol

4 has yet to go Best Price too... they'll probably do it before the holidays for massive damage.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Frillen said:
A major decrease in both hardware and software sales. Not surprising though, consider it's the week after the holdiday.

Seems like the statement is also true that some of the shipment was diverted for the USA release of Metroid prime.

Top Bottom