• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 9/10-9/16 2007

tanod said:
Hey JoshuaJSlone, for comparison's sake, if you calculated a weekly sales average using LTD data of all actively tracked platforms right now, what would they be?

That way we can see whether they're beating their lifetime average or not.
Says Media Create through the week of 2007-09-10
GCN: 15,197
Wii: 84,882
GBA: 37,871
GBASP: 24,721
GBM: 5,571
DS: 45,104
DSL: 157,624
PS2: 55,869
PS3: 25,463
PSP: 41,468
X360: 4,393

Says Famitsu through the week of 2007-09-03
Wii: 91,912
GBASP: 26,285
GBM: 5,951
DS: 47,069
DSL: 169,527
PS2: 54,145
PS3: 28,638
PSP: 43,050
X360: 5,189

Of course, even if we weren't in a particularly slow period at the moment, active systems would usually be below their lifetime averages, since the holiday/bump periods would push those numbers up.
mclem said:
In a sales thread, it's never enough to 'just look at the numbers'. If you don't take context into account, numbers lie all the time. You need to take into account history, comparisons, trends, seasons, release schedules...
Well, he is using context of Wii's past numbers to say the present looks mediocre, but yeah, it is a bit of an incomplete context.

2008,Well this will be interesting.Would DS&PSP combine for 35 million units sold?It would be amazing

Will the Wii&PS3´s sales skyrocket? Why not ?Nintendo is doing a tremendous job and Sony has some tricks up it sleeve being one of them Sony Financial Holdings IPO in order to raise 320 billion yen - selling 34.5% stake-. Trading starts on the Tokyo Stock Exchange on Oct. 11 and the proceeds will help Sony CEO Howard Stringer channel funds to its PlayStation unit to reduce dramatically the price of the PS3 once the big guns are ready.

I think what may help nintendo sustain their console past its new toy appeal would be an actual price that reflects the philosophy of having a "mainstream" console. The wii is peanuts in cost compared to making a playstation investment, but its still not what I would consider easily affordable to the consumer.

noonche

I think Nintendo's biggest problem is that they have two successful platforms at the moment, yet their 1st-party development capabilities are basically the same as they where 2 years ago. For a decent while as GameCube floundered and GBA was phased out, the lions share of Nintendo's releases/efforts where on DS. Then as Wii began to ramp up the DS schedule seemed to dry up a little.

alske said:
I think Nintendo's biggest problem is that they have two successful platforms at the moment, yet their 1st-party development capabilities are basically the same as they where 2 years ago. For a decent while as GameCube floundered and GBA was phased out, the lions share of Nintendo's releases/efforts where on DS. Then as Wii began to ramp up the DS schedule seemed to dry up a little.
They don't need to worry about the DS.

alske said:

They're still publishing more games more then ever, many of their first party games are still selling well. Third party have the DS covered for this holiday, it will be insane.

noonche

BishopLamont said:
They're still publishing more games more then ever, many of their first party games are still selling well. Third party have the DS covered for this holiday, it will be insane.

I don't think it will really hurt them, they're too strong right now, and Sony's too weak. But I do think that part of the reason that we haven't seen a lot of stuff on Wii is because Nintendo also has to focus on the DS as well, and that leaves third parties. And we all know what a great job they've done so far...

Rock_Man

JoshuaJSlone said:
Says Famitsu through the week of 2007-09-03
Wii: 91,912
GBASP: 26,285
GBM: 5,951
DS: 47,069
DSL: 169,527
PS2: 54,145
PS3: 28,638
PSP: 43,050
X360: 5,189

Seems like you are counting combined weeks as one week. The average sales is a bit lower, ie more like the MC ones.

donny2112

For the regular DS, it dropped ~30% the week before the Pink and Teal versions were released alongside Nintendogs, was pretty much unchanged before the Red release, and dropped by ~20% before the Black release. I think we're too far out for a new color to have an affect in this case, though.

donny2112 said:
For the regular DS, it dropped ~30% the week before the Pink and Teal versions were released alongside Nintendogs, was pretty much unchanged before the Red release, and dropped by ~20% before the Black release. I think we're too far out for a new color to have an affect in this case, though.

Oh so it did drop? Well in any case like you said it's too early to see such a drop and the DS has been dropping over the past few weeks, so it's no oddity. Still nearly 80k is still spectacular and every unit will be sold during christmas anyway, and then Japan suffers massive shortage and the cycle continues. I think we will see at what level the DS levels out in 2008.

gkryhewy

Parmenides said:
Sony Financial Holdings IPO in order to raise 320 billion yen - selling 34.5% stake-. Trading starts on the Tokyo Stock Exchange on Oct. 11 and the proceeds will help Sony CEO Howard Stringer channel funds to its PlayStation unit to reduce dramatically the price of the PS3 once the big guns are ready.

:lol no, but get your tinfoil hat ready.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
A sense of scale for some of these numbers:

80k (DS this week) per week in Japan is 750k per month in the US, adjusting for population.
100k per week in Japan is 945k per month in the US, adjusting for population.
140k per week in Japan is 1.32m per month in the US, adjusting for population.
157k (MC DS average) per week in Japan is 1.48m per month in the US, adjusting for population.
169k (Famitsu DS average) per week in Japan is 1.60m per month in the US, adjusting for population.

Christopher

The PSP has a pretty sweet lineup this year I see no reason to "choose a side" in the handheld area as both have been pretty rewarding in terms of games.

Castlevania PSP is mine this year!

Well the attitude of these threads have sure changed for this week.

Oh, and btw, now that the PSP is selling well, I just realized it totally rocks.

Lobster

Banned
super funk said:
Well the attitude of these threads have sure changed for this week.

Oh, and btw, now that the PSP is selling well, I just realized it totally rocks.

There are so many games for it!

cvxfreak

Damn, I just realized Media Create didn't separate the new PSP models from the old. Damnit! Would have been nice to see how the new model would do relative to the old.

Anywho I contributed to the 130K PSP Slim & Lite sold last week. :D

G4life98

alske said:

well if nintendo were to expand to address these problems inhouse (and not by purchasing devs like monolith) where would it be best to focus...east or west? console or handheld?

i would love for nintendo to to create a western development infrastructure similar to what they have in japan in terms of developement capacity and quality...but this thread is about japan :lol

and we should really wait until we start to see some more complete 2008 release lists before we sound the alarms for the wii.

Lobster

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Damn, I just realized Media Create didn't separate the new PSP models from the old. Damnit! Would have been nice to see how the new model would do relative to the old.

We can just estimate. 15k last week. With a brand new PSP out..it might be at 5k?

Rock_Man said:
Seems like you are counting combined weeks as one week. The average sales is a bit lower, ie more like the MC ones.
Could be. I used an average function on columns which had text markers for places where it was the first of two combined weeks and assumed it would count those as 0, but if you're right I guess it just ignored them.

cvxfreak

Izzy said:
They sold what they shipped. Considering what I heard, the company shipped far less than it originally planned to. Which points to...shortages. No wonder Sony delayed piano black PSP launch in the US - they can't get enough supplies for the Japan either.

The PSP Slim couldn't possibly be completely sold out. Some stores are out, but not all.

Photographic proof:

4lq33ar.jpg
507di0m.jpg

Taken at the Sofmap in Akihabara this evening. Tons of DS Lite, Wii and PSP Slim in stock. Tons more CC FFVII too.

Lobster

Banned
cvxfreak said:
The PSP Slim couldn't possibly be completely sold out. Some stores are out, but not all.

Photographic proof:

4lq33ar.jpg
507di0m.jpg

Taken at the Sofmap in Akihabara this evening. Tons of DS Lite, Wii and PSP Slim in stock. Tons more CC FFVII too.

So many Wiis... :(

It seems pink PSP Slim was popular.

Eteric Rice

Lobster said:

Then Galaxy and Brawl come out, and Japan will die once again. :(

And you know damn well that there's another Wii DQ game in the works. ><

Lobster

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Then Galaxy and Brawl come out, and Japan will die once again. :(

And you know damn well that there's another Wii DQ game in the works. ><

Dragon Quest Swords 2.

I wouldn't mind actually.

swerve

Yeah, PSP-2000s are freely available in my part of Japan, so considering the demand, and Crisis Core, its sales are likely to be *huge* this week. I've got plenty of friends buying them, and I nearly got one today just because of the newness...

Wii hardware is definitely building up, so it looks like retailers are still ordering the same numbers even though week-to-week demand has slowed. Preparing for Wii Fit? I wonder when we'll get the details of the Japanese launch of Smash, Metroid, and Wii Fit, or if the retailers already have it.

Izzy

Banned
cvxfreak said:

Photographic proof:

4lq33ar.jpg
507di0m.jpg

Oh, thanks for the pics. I hope you'll continue to provide us in-store info. For some reason I just love it!

Mr Killemgood said:
Were there any first-day sales from Shinobi for the week?

It's on page 11 or 12...

The Abominable Snowman said:
So when do we start predicting this weeks sales?

Anytime you want...C'mon, go on!

Lobster said:

Yeah, they be gone come christmas time. Nintendo's prolly telling stores to just keep stocking whatever they can ship them cuz they'll be all gone.

mabuza

Banned
does anyone think we might see the 360 outselling the ps3 when halo 3 comes out. the difference betwwen them 1200 and 13000 isnt really that huge for that to happen.
although oblivion comes out on the ps3 that day so ps3 hardware might see a tiny boost.

Culex

Banned
mabuza said:
does anyone think we might see the 360 outselling the ps3 when halo 3 comes out. the difference betwwen them 1200 and 13000 isnt really that huge for that to happen.
although oblivion comes out on the ps3 that day so ps3 hardware might see a tiny boost.

No way in hell, since it took Super Japanese taste games like Blue Dragon or DOA to sell systems.

mabuza

Banned
Culex said:
No way in hell, since it took Super Japanese taste games like Blue Dragon or DOA to sell systems.
well halo 3 is currently 2 on amazon japan charts. so it could do some serious numbers.
btw what the hell is that psp game at number 1 on amazon japan charts. its been there for quite a while now.

ethelred

mabuza said:
well halo 3 is currently 2 on amazon japan charts. so it could do some serious numbers.
btw what the hell is that psp game at number 1 on amazon japan charts. its been there for quite a while now.

&#12464;&#12521;&#12531;&#12484;&#12540;&#12522;&#12473;&#12514;.

apujanata

mabuza said:

Next week's H/W should be very interesting. :) Especially if X360 managed to cross stream with PS3.

AniHawk

apujanata said:
Next week's H/W should be very interesting. :) Especially if X360 managed to cross stream with PS3.
Doubt it. Halo 3 could do 100k+. Maybe. The series is about as popular as Metroid Prime.

I know there are arguments to be made like "Halo 3 is this sytem's first Halo." and "X360 is doing much better than Xbox was." to say this comparison is meaningless, but I wondered what Halo 2 did to the original Xbox's sales. Frankly... I'm more confused now than before, because the big bump seems to be for the week before it released.

As says Media Create:
Week of
2004-10-04: 207
2004-10-11: 173
2004-10-18: 259
2004-10-25: 271
2004-11-01: 4,959
2004-11-08: 1,200
2004-11-15: 1,239
2004-11-22: 669
2004-11-29: 621
2004-12-06: 385

Dahbomb

Wii confirmed fad total?

PSP making massive comeback? PSP title @ #1 with sales better than NDS.

2 PS3 titles in the top 20?

WTF is this shit? :lol

Top Bottom