• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 9/10-9/16 2007

Lobster said:
Dude don't worry. Its only the effect of a new redesign and the release of possibly the biggest game in Japan of 07. If The DS Lite released with New Super Mario Bros. you would probably see the same thing except the DS doesn't fall back down.

I'm not worried at all since it doesn't change my life. I was just trying to understand the market and it's not easy at all.

Lobster

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I still don't have a tag as awesome as yours so no ones take me seriously :/

Btw, PSP slim & lite numbers are so-so imo, on the other hand MGSPO+ are quite good (although it counts extension SKU and old game+extension SKU together). Budget re-releases usually do quite well in PSP, if the original game was big I mean (Minna no Golf Portable, Monster Hunter Portable...).

What? You do realise this is 1st day! For a redesign!

AniHawk

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Btw, PSP slim & lite numbers are so-so imo
Did it sell out? I thought 130k was pretty good, especially considering it's been hovering aroun 20k-40k for most its lifetime.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I wonder if PSP Slim could be really a turn-around in the industry. In other words: suddendly, 2 weeks ago, both Wii and DS started to low their sales. Then, PSP skyrocketed first with FF and then with PSP Slim and the interesting thing is that Software seems to follow (MGSO+ & FF again).

Are these two events correlated or it's only a pure coincidence ?

PSP has slowly and quitely established itself as a portable machine "more than just gaming". Obviously more and more people are buying it not just for games, as this can be seen as SW continues to sell poorly (especially outside Japan), while HW sales is actually steadily growing. With the launch of PSP Slim with fixes on old problems and new game/non-game features, and more and more (Japanese) developers begin to realize what kind of games the PSP users are actually looking for, I am not surprised if the launch of PSP Slim could be a new start for PSP.

AniHawk said:
Did it sell out? I thought 130k was pretty good, especially considering it's been hovering aroun 20k-40k for most its lifetime.

That's an important question. I'm almost sure it is sold out.

But again, AGAIN, this is a big message to Sony. A message that say to invest more in PSP and less in PS3.

Lobster

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I'm not worried at all since it doesn't change my life. I was just trying to understand the market and it's not easy at all.

Oh ok. I was under the impression you were a sales nut (like me) who would get worried about this stuff (like I do). I felt worried at first but when I saw the Micro numbers and stuff..I felt..calm.

Izzy

Banned
Lobster said:
Oh ok. I was under the impression you were a sales nut (like me) who would get worried about this stuff (like I do). I felt worried at first but when I saw the Micro numbers and stuff..I felt..calm.

Micro numbers were for the first week - these are first day numbers.

Anihawk said:

PSP Slim is currently sold out in Japan, no online shop is currently having it in stock.

Too bad about MGSPO+, I guess they didn't anticipate that level of demand.

Allegedly, next PSP shipment is coming next week, so that's probably it for PSP this week, unless someone is desperate enough to buy the old fatty.

C.T.

Kyoufu said:
Its slimmer, much lighter and actually acceptable in terms of portability.

Oh and the minor fact that it can display games/movies on your TV and better loading times. Its a far better redesign than what the DS got.

Yeah, the DS had no loading times to begin with. Nintendo should be ashamed.

Lobster

Banned
Izzy said:
Micro numbers were for the first week - these are first day numbers.

PSP Slim is currently sold out in Japan, no online shop is currently having it in stock.

Too bad about MGSPO+, I guess they didn't anticipate that level of demand.

Allegedly, next PSP shipment is coming next week.

Yeah I know but if PSP Slim is sold out it means Micro will have done better then it first week :)

Edit:and holy fuck I just saw a heavenly sword ad on Australian TV!! OMFG THAT AD WAS FUCKING AWESOME!

CTLance

It's nice to see that things aren't that predictable in Japan anymore, although as a Ninfan I have to say I'm not very happy with the trend. :lol
Interesting "comeback" of the PSP. Looks like Sony did the right thing at the right time, or Nintendo was caught with its pants down. It's gonna be an exiting race at the end of the year. MC threads are going to be entertaining. :D

Lobster said:

Sales interest me, but play great games interests me more. And what I'm NOT interested for, is to take part to the war "DS fanboys vs. PSP fanboys", or, more in general, "Sony fanboys vs. Nintendo's fanboys".

Competition make better consoles and better games. So, if Nintendo's domination start to decline and if they begin to develop more big games and to pay more Third party exclusivities as conseguence of that decline, I cannot see really how I could be not happy about that.

Big games are important. Not big numbers.

Izzy

Banned
Lobster said:
Yeah I know but if PSP Slim is sold out it means Micro will have done better then it first week :)

Edit:and holy fuck I just saw a heavenly sword ad on Australian TV!! OMFG THAT AD WAS FUCKING AWESOME!

I dunno about ad, but from what I've seen of HS, it's beautiful. Too bad it's on PS3 and it's going to tank...

Jacobi

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
That's an important question. I'm almost sure it is sold out.

But again, AGAIN, this is a big message to Sony. A message that say to invest more in PSP and less in PS3.
Or put Monster Hunter on PS3 (and give it remote play function)

Lobster

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Sales interest me, but play great games interests me more. And what I'm NOT interested for, is to take part to the war "DS fanboys vs. PSP fanboys", or, more in general, "Sony fanboys vs. Nintendo's fanboys".

Competition make better consoles and better games. So, if Nintendo's domination start to decline and if they begin to develop more big games and to pay more Third party exclusivities as conseguence of that decline, I cannot see really how I could be not happy about that.

I agree that games are much more better to play/watch/read but sales age is just exciting, I don't want to look like a big idiot fanboy on the boards but I can't help to feel dissapointed when the team I root for has a trip. Its like gambling only bets are usually ban bets.

Izzy

Banned
Jacobi said:
Or put Monster Hunter on PS3 (and give it remote play function)

Gotta give it to you for the 'remote play' comment, but Monster Hunter, like Animal Crossing is a game series that the consumers prefer to see on handhelds.

Nevermind, I already wrote some excuses but after checking other redesigns, I can't say 130k is so-so. I wonder how many they shipped though, and if they shipped 6 announced colors or went european-style 3 means 1, other 2 coming later.

edit: damn grammatical errors....

Lobster

Banned
Izzy said:
Gotta give it you for the 'remote play' comment, but Monster Hunter, like Animal Crossing is a game series that the consumers prefer to see on handhelds.

DQIX is was a game series that the consumers prefer to see on consoles. ;)

Kyoufu

Izzy said:
Gotta give it you for the 'remote play' comment, but Monster Hunter, like Animal Crossing is a game series that the consumers prefer to see on handhelds.

Err, Monster Hunter started on a console, and did very well. Now its on PC too, and the MH fanbase in Japan is awaiting the PS3 version.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

i actually look at it like this...

developers would imho RATHER the PS3 and PSP were doing well. they know how to make games for them. if they were winning they could just keep on making the kind of games they normally make.

heck, if hardware sales were tied, i think you'd see more games being made for PSP and PS3 than DS and Wii.

the DS and Wii HAD to have huge sales for developers to even give them the time of day... and when you look at software sales in America, i think that's pretty understandable.

if you want to see equal software support across all the systems, i think that will only happen when the DS and Wii are out performing the competition, because of the inherant challenge for a developer to figure out what kind of game they need to make on them to get the kind of sales they'd get on the other systems.

kay

kottila said:
The Wii is dead. I for one welcome our new Playstation overlords.
I know it's a joke but it does mean (in my opinion) the userbase gap is made up of a LOT of the kind of people who buy stuff like Carnival Games. DW6 right now would sell more on the PS3 I bet, even with the install base disparity. The trouble is, for how long will this hold up for Sony?

Izzy

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Nevermind, I already wrote some excuses but after checking other redesigns, I can't say 130k is so-so. I wonder how many they shipped though, and if they shipped 6 announced colors or went european-style 3 means 1, other 2 coming later.

edit: damn grammatical errors....

They sold what they shipped. Considering what I heard, the company shipped far less than it originally planned to. Which points to...shortages. No wonder Sony delayed piano black PSP launch in the US - they can't get enough supplies for the Japan either.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Nevermind, I already wrote some excuses but after checking other redesigns, I can't say 130k is so-so. I wonder how many the shipped though, and if they shipped 6 announced colors or went european-style 3 means 1, other 2 coming later.

Uhu, I just forgot that 6 colours of PSP Slim came out at the same time. This is surely a factor that explains partly these numbers. Now, what is more important is to see if FF sales followed PSP Slim. If hardware is driving software as previously said, it should be the case. I'm not expecting big numbers, but a solid 150k is likely and it could be just the inferior limit. This alongside a good 50k (thanks to Izzy, it's sold out) for MGSO+.

Then, time is what matters because there is a desert before Minna no Golf for december (I'm speaking aout big games o.c.) and THIS will be the big test for PSP Slim.

ziran

Oh dang..Strikers should pick up?
It'll have a relatively decent weekend, i.e. 100-125% of its first day sales, but I doubt it's going to appear on the chart over 40K.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I know you're joking, but this could be a serious thing if only FFF would have sold much more. It's not supply constrainted, so it not the main driving force of the PSP. In this case, hardware is driving the software and not viceversa.

There are two big questions now: first, if PSP Slim is a turn-around for Sony's handheld in the long term or if it is only a Game Boy Micro-effect. I bet it's something in themiddle, but where it is exactly in this "grey" ? Nodoby knows; we'll see.
Second, maybe I'm wrong, but when I see two significant events happening almost in the same period after 2 years of stability, something says me they're linked somehow. Experience says me exactly that, but I could be wrong.
I don't believe PSP has, or ever will have, the sw releases/sales to make it a competitive system to DS. Just look at the decline its had at TGS, developers have already shifted resources. It's carving out a nice niche for itself in the same way N64 and GC did, for certain types of games, which is impressive for a handheld, but it's missed the, 'it's a system I must have', boat.

The Dragon Quest series, along with a load of other big 3rd party games are coming soon, and they've proved they can sell very well. Also, Nintendo is the most important developer in terms of system sellers and broad reaching titles and they're always going to be exclusive to DS. They have over 70 titles in development for the system (including deals with 3rd parties) and in there will likely be more Nintendogs, Brain Training type successes from their best teams. All of these things will continue to sell a lot of DS hw. There's also probably going to be another redesign.

IMO, contrary to what many people here want you to believe, Nintendo is only just getting started with their success strategy and Sony is continuing to lose sight of what the mass market wants, which is something they managed so well with PS1 and PS2.

For Sony to claw back their former sales they have to accept their current strategy has failed, which is something they seem unwilling or unable to come to terms with. This is the same for many 3rd parties.

Izzy

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Uhu, I just forgot that 6 colours of PSP Slim came out at the same time. This is surely a factor that explains partly these numbers. Now, what is more important is to see if FF sales followed PSP Slim. If hardware is driving software as previously said, it should be the case. I'm not expecting big numbers, but a solid 150k is likely and it could be just the inferior limit. This alongside a good 80-100k for MGSO+.

Then, time is what matters because there is a desert before Minna no Golf for december (I'm speaking aout big games o.c.) and THIS will be the big test for PSP Slim.

MGSPO+ is allegedly sold out, so your number seems a bit high.

Izzy said:
MGSPO+ is allegedly sold out, so your number seems a bit high.

Right. I edit my post now.

ziran said:
I don't believe PSP has, or ever will have, the sw releases/sales to make it a competitive system to DS. Just look at the decline its had at TGS, developers have already shifted resources. It's carving out a nice niche for itself in the same way N64 and GC did, for certain types of games, which is impressive for a handheld, but it's missed the, 'it's a system I must have', boat.

The Dragon Quest series, along with a load of other big 3rd party games are coming soon, and they've proved they can sell very well. Also, Nintendo is the most important developer in terms of system sellers and broad reaching titles and they're always going to be exclusive to DS. They have over 70 titles in development for the system (including deals with 3rd parties) and in there will likely be more Nintendogs, Brain Training type successes from their best teams. All of these things will continue to sell a lot of DS hw. There's also probably going to be another redesign.

IMO, contrary to what many people here want you to believe, Nintendo is only just getting started with their success strategy and Sony is continuing to lose sight of what the mass market wants, which is something they managed so well with PS1 and PS2.

For Sony to claw back their former sales they have to accept their current strategy has failed, which is something they seem unwilling or unable to come to terms with. This is the same for many 3rd parties.

What you say is very logic and I agree. Just I have learned that the market can change very fast and when you don't expect it. But what you say is and remains what is more likely: PSP Slim big bump, nice sales for FF and MGSO+ and then back to the normality (or almost), with a PSP Slim now stabilised around 35-40k for week.

Maybe it's me: I'm too suspicious.

Laguna

Banned
The interesting thing will be software sales next week. I think even next week with PSPslim sales the Top50 will be dominated by NDS. On PSPs side there will be good sales for FFVII (200k), MGS (90k) and Monster Hunter 2 (20k).

Lobster

Banned
Laguna said:
The interesting thing will be software sales next week. I think even next week with PSPslim sales the Top50 will be dominated by NDS. On PSPs side there will be good sales for FFVII (200k), MGS (90k) and Monster Hunter 2 (20k).

Of course it will be DS dominated theres not going to be hardware boosts though. Probably might drop to 60k.

Frillen

This is not a turn in the market. However, the PSP will most likely outsell the DS for another 2-4 weeks 'cause of the Slim + FFVII:CC effect.

Izzy

Banned
Ok, I just read the Dengeki article. Few more things:

It actually sold >130k

Also, 30,000 people purchased the TV Tuner. I kid you not.

I think I should blame DS (or wii fit) for thinking 130k PSP is so-so :lol

PS2 16946 (2004/10/25~10/31)
PS2 124757 (2004/11/1~11/7)● PS2 Slim
PS2 58738(2004/11/8~11/14)
PS2 62014(2004/11/15~11/21)
PS2 120074 (2004/11/22~11/28)● DQ8 week (>2.2m)
PS2 92609, DS 441485(2004/11/29~12/5)● DS launch
PS2 104078, PSP 166074, DS 181231(2004/12/6~12/12)● PSP launch

If someone wants DSL or Micro launch I can look for them...and I guess I can look for GBAs too.

Link1110

The truly exciting contest for DS, for me anyway is, can it, from now until whenever a follow-up is released, pass Game Boy's 32.43m?

13 million more is alot, but you have Final Fantasy 4, Dragon Quest 9, and whetever else comes out from now until then.

Defuser said:
R-type Bomba bomba, I thought Strikers will sell......

Obviously most fans can't accept a classic shooter to become a SLG :lol

Izzy said:

It actually sold >130k

30% of PSP Slim buyers also bought TV Tuner... so that's roughly 40k.

BTW, I think Sony still have some stock for the weekend, and with perhaps 10k fat PSP sold (they are probably sold cheaper than Slim, so I expect some people will still buy them)... around 175k for the first week shouldn't be too far off.

Izzy said:

It actually sold >130k

These TV Tuner numbers smell a lot of hardcore...but this doesn't change the reality. At this point the superior limit is only the shipment. Do we know the PSP Slim shipment ?

Lobster

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I think I should blame DS (or wii fit) for thinking 130k PSP is so-so :lol

PS2 16946 (2004/10/25~10/31)
PS2 124757 (2004/11/1~11/7)● PS2 Slim
PS2 58738(2004/11/8~11/14)
PS2 62014(2004/11/15~11/21)
PS2 120074 (2004/11/22~11/28)● DQ8 week (>2.2m)
PS2 92609, DS 441485(2004/11/29~12/5)● DS launch
PS2 104078, PSP 166074, DS 181231(2004/12/6~12/12)● PSP launch

If someone wants DSL or Micro launch I can look for them...and I guess I can look for GBAs too.

Yes please!

Lobster said:
You guys reckon Wii will drop to Ps3 levels? or 360 levels???!
if things stayed as they are, sure. but they won't.

people are too used to seeing the DS sell well irrespective of game releases that they've forgotten that that wasn't normal at all before the DSL. there's nothing worrying about Wii sales fluctuating with software releases, it just shows that it won't be quite a DSL level phenomenon.

i'm not ruling out a Wii redesign being that kind of a phenomenon, but just reminding everyone that prior to the DSL these kind of fluctuations were expected in times of a software drought. it happened to the DS after all.

Top Bottom