• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 9/10-9/16 2007

Laguna said:
CESA released an comparison of how many games (in %) were presented this year (/last year) at TGS.

Plattform / 2007 in procent / 2006 in procent
NDS: 17,1 % (10,4 %)
Wii: 8,1 % (1,0 %)
PS2: 7,2 % (20,1 %)
360: 4,9 % (4,0 %)
PS3: 3,2 % (3,6 %)
PSP: 2,6 % (6,6 %)
GC: 0,2 % (0,4 %)
GBA: 0,0 % (0,4 %)

These are interesting trends, but it's important to not forget that the big Third Party games still aren't developed for Nintendo's systems, outside some exceptions. Numbers are not everything, but they still can be considered as good indicators. Most significative is the big drop for PS2 and the big increase for Wii and DS. But as said, numbers don't say all.

thorns

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
That's an interesting trend, but it's important to not forget that the big Third Party games still aren't developed for Nintendo's systems, outside some exceptions. Numbers are not everything, but can be considered as good indicators. Most significative is the big drop for PS2 and the big increase for Wii and DS. But as said, numbers don't say all.

..and yet these numbers do not include nintendo's own games..

Christ, this thread is a welcome change from the past months. There's actually some discussion in here. :lol Seeing Izzy, Quertz, Tabris, Christopher, spwolf and Ookyspooky in this thread must mean something, doesn't it? Instead of a Nintendo circle jerk this thread has become a place to take revenge on Nintendo (fanboys) and spew dilusional predictions.

Oh gaf, you so crazeh.

Grampasso

I think PSP could sell more than 100k next week thanks to combined factors like Slim version launch, MGPO+ and CrisisCore which maybe some people waited to buy for the PSPSlim+CrisisCore combo. I think DS bumps are virtually ended by now, the system will continue sell at a high rate but without the megaton bumps we saw in the last 3 years (maybe DQIX will do something...). Wii... yeah, it needs games :lol

Lobster

Banned
Frillen said:
You know what the biggest surprise is? The Wii started to slow down first in Japan.

I seriously thought the hype would first slow down in Europe, then NA and finally Japan.

Me too but it shows no sign of slowing down in NA..more signs of speeding up. In Europe even 3rd party Wii games sell good.

Laguna

Banned
The funny thing is that the biggest share of presented PS3 titles are the same as last years. PSP has fallen down by a large margin. And yes most of the big titles for now are not announced for Nintendos home console. But this has more to do with marketing [their old projects like FF13, MGS4 (to call the biggest)] than anything else. While the DS takes it all...

Frillen

Laguna said:
CESA released a comparison of how many games (in %) were presented this year (/last year) at TGS.

Wait... What?

Souldriver said:
Christ, this thread is a welcome change from the past months. There's actually some discussion in here. :lol Seeing Izzy, Quertz, Tabris, Christopher, spwolf and Ookyspooky in this thread must mean something, doesn't it? Instead of a Nintendo circle jerk this thread has become a place to take revenge on Nintendo (fanboys) and spew dilusional predictions.

Oh gaf, you so crazeh.
let them have their week (or two, PSP launch could top the hardware charts as well) in the sun.

just remember, the further your prediction is from reality over the next month or two, the more you'll probably want to make yourself scarce in these threads in the future.

Frillen

Also;

You know what the funny thing is? It doesn't matter if the Wii has a slow period in Japan right now and that there are plentifull of Wiis at stores. Those Wiis are, 100% for sure, going to get eaten alive when Galaxy, Brawl and most importantly Wii-Fit comes out. Trust me. By the end of December, the Wii will again be hugely supply constrained in Japan.

Lobster

Banned
Frillen said:
Also;

You know what the funny thing is? It doesn't matter if the Wii has a slow period in Japan right now and that there are plentifull of Wiis at stores. Those Wiis are, 100% for sure, going to get eaten alive when Galaxy, Brawl and most importantly Wii-Fit comes out. Trust me. By the end of December, the Wii will again be hugely supply constrained in Japan.

We all know that. You just can't explain such a quick drop though.

ziran

PSP should be well over 100K this week, 120-150K could be possible. There are plenty of Sony fans in Japan eager for new products at this cost and level of sales, and I expect as with all hw updates, there is going to be a good amount of rebuying going on.

I expect another great week for CCFF, ~200K could happen, and MGSPO should sell reasonably well, ~60K with ~150K LTD.

I can't see Mario Strikers doing much, it's had a lower start in NA than the previous game, probably because it's so close the GC release. I'd expect ~40K for the first week with a 120-150K LTD with legs. That shitty Dynasty Warriors game is likely to bomb. Also, I'd expect a negligible increase in Wii sales, somewhere around ~30K for the week.

The next scheduled release to cause a significant increase in Wii sales will probably be SMG, which could be huge, over 2 million LTD is possible imo. It's the reinvention of the Mario franchise on Wii, the timing is great, and with Wii Fit, SBB and Wii Sports, I think there are going to be at least 4 compelling reasons for Wii sales to maintain high levels for a long time.

Laguna said:
CESA released a comparison of how many games (in %) were presented this year (/last year) at TGS.

Laguna said:
The funny thing is that the biggest share of PS3 titles are the same as last years. PSP has fallen down by a large margin. And yes most of the big titles for now are not announced for Nintendos home console. But this has more to do with marketing [their old projects like FF13, MGS4 (to call the biggest)] than anything else. While the DS takes it all...
Those numbers are interesting.

I think PS3 declining shows the growing caution developers have about the system and the length it takes to makes games for it.

Lobster said:
We all know that. You just can't explain such a quick drop though.

Probably it's a combination of many factors: no big, new games and slow period of the year because schools have re-opened. In addition, DS maybe is showing some saturation effect, BUT don't forget that there is still a lot of potential and that 80k is not really a low score. It's low only if you compare it wth some crazy DS performances. Second, and not in order of importance, mayn big Square-Enix's games are coming for the console. What abut the Wii, I think that it's a slow period due to the lack of games. But, instead to stay to such low levels for 6 months as it has happened with the DS in 2005, new big games are coming much sooner and they'll inverse the negative trend. I don't know the extent of this inversion, but it will be not small in my opinion. But I think that Wii Fit will have a larger effect on hardware then Galaxy and Smash.

Lobster

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Probably it's a combination of many factors: no big, new games and slow period of the year because schools have re-opened. In addition, DS maybe is showing some saturation effect, BUT don't forget that there is still a lot of potential and that 80k is not really a low score. It's low only if you compare it wth some crazy DS performances. Second, and not in order of importance, mayn big Square-Enix's games are coming for the console. What abut the Wii, I think that it's a slow period due to the lack of games. But, instead to stay to such low levels for 6 months as it has happened with the DS in 2005, new big games are coming much sooner and they'll inverse the negative trend. I don't know the extent of this inversion, but it will be not small in my opinion. But I think that Wii Fit will have a larger effect on hardware then Galaxy and Smash.

DS will pick up again, I believe it will finally stop selling over 20k once it hits 30 million. Huge games are coming out for it and it will only make it sell more and more.

Wii will pick up for a while but it depends on software alot and Nintendo aren't a powerhouse so 3rd parties need to contribute with good efforts. We all know that games with effort sell even if you're not called Square Enix. (Once Piece,Dragon Ball Z and that Gundam Game + so many little 3rd parties that are happy with their sales) Next year looks good for Nintendo and they're getting a fair share of 3rd party games in the beginning of 08. They just need to fill the middle and the end.

AnimeTheme said:
http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/

First day sales:

- Mario Strikers: 15k
- Katana: 8k
- MGSPO+ (deluxe pack included): 50k, sold-out reported
- R・TYPE TACTICS: below 2k

Oh dang..Strikers should pick up?

AnimeTheme said:
http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/

First day sales:

- Mario Strikers: 15k
- Katana: 8k
- MGSPO+ (deluxe pack included): 50k, sold-out reported
- R・TYPE TACTICS (PSP), Deltora Quest (DS), Elemental Monster (DS): below 2k

th_Picard-WTF.jpg

justjohn said:
psp slim sold 130,000 on the first day.

O_O

Uhmmmm....

I'm starting to think that maybe the market is changing again.... or am I saying bullshits ?

The DS and the Wii down....the PSP that skyrocket.....maybe I'm only paranoid.

justjohn

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
O_O

Uhmmmm....

I'm starting to think that maybe the market is changing again.... or am I saying bullshits ?

The DS and the Wii down....the PSP that skyrocket.....maybe I'm only paranoid.
its just a blip. the psp will be proclaimed dead after crisis core, and japan can go back to straightening their faces with their ds.

130k first day sales for PSP slim is absolutely incredible (much more than what GBA SP, GBM and DSLite managed iirc), and obviously guarantees the PSP also tops next week by a significant margin.

Should help Crisis Core sales as well. Lol @ MGS: PO suffering from shortages again xD

Kyoufu said:
Wow whats going on there, PSP sold 130k and MGPO+ beat my prediction in the first day? What?!

I wonder if PSP Slim could be really a turn-around in the industry. In other words: suddendly, 2 weeks ago, both Wii and DS started to low their sales. Then, PSP skyrocketed first with FF and then with PSP Slim and the interesting thing is that Software seems to follow (MGSO+ & FF again).

Are these two events correlated or it's only a pure coincidence ?

AniHawk

Kenka said:
What the......where's my Nintendomination ? 0_k

Don't you remember? N64 was doing pretty good too until Final Fantasy VII came out in 1997 and shifted the tides permanently.

IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN

Lobster

Banned
AniHawk said:
Don't you remember? N64 was doing pretty good too until Final Fantasy VII came out in 1997 and shifted the tides permanently.

IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN

Oh fuck :( Crisis Core guaranteed to shift 13 million PSP units.

Izzy

Banned
For what it's worth, PSP Slim is completely sold out at amazon.co.jp, they're not even accepting the reservations.

AniHawk

Weisheit said:
PSP- 6,012,846
NDS- 19,352,657

I doubt it.

No- see, I don't actually care what the PSP sells (outside of "whoa, that's a big number"), because I don't own one, nor do I plan to for some time. I don't care what the DS sells either, because the userbase is already so fucking large, it basically guarantees more of the games I love. justjohn has been coming into these threads recently throwing hissy fits, so I was just poking fun.

botticus

So... does Nintendo need a redesign to reduce the weight of the DS by 10%, thereby doubling sales?

Assuming the PSP gets an extended bump (i.e. current DS levels), I don't quite understand the enthusiasm for a relatively minor redesign.

Chumly said:
It might not but your comparing it with absolutely terrible examples. BBA sucks from what most people think and its not even as good as the brain training games (Correct me if im wrong). Same can go with cooking mama and it wasnt near as popular as animal crossing anyways. Animal crossing back in the day did pretty dam good considering on the gamecube and it even showed legs that were unheard for back in the day. Animal crossing on the Wii is something that people will actually look forward to and by all means it will be a good game (at least way better than BBA and Cooking Mama). Id be willing to bet that it will outsell pretty much everything on the PS3 except MAYBE FFXIII.

Might be,but we're talking about aproximately 4,5 million copies according to famitsu numbers.

When does AC come out anyway ? Do we have a release date yet ?

AniHawk said:

IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN

I know you're joking, but this could be a serious thing if only FF would have sold much more. It's not supply constrainted, so it not the main driving force of the PSP. In this case, hardware is driving the software and not viceversa.

There are two big questions now: first, if PSP Slim is a turn-around for Sony's handheld in the long term or if it is only a Game Boy Micro-effect. I bet it's something in the middle, but where it is exactly in this "grey" ? Nodoby knows; we'll see.
Second, maybe I'm wrong, but when I see two significant events happening almost in the same period after 2 years of stability (in the handheld market), something says me they're linked somehow. Experience says me exactly that, but I could be wrong.

Kyoufu

botticus said:
So... does Nintendo need a redesign to reduce the weight of the DS by 10%, thereby doubling sales?

Assuming the PSP gets an extended bump (i.e. current DS levels), I don't quite understand the enthusiasm for a relatively minor redesign.

Its slimmer, much lighter and actually acceptable in terms of portability.

Oh and the minor fact that it can display games/movies on your TV and better loading times. Its a far better redesign than what the DS got.

Lobster

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I know you're joking, but this could be a serious thing if only FF would have sold much more. It's not supply constrainted, so it not the main driving force of the PSP. In this case, hardware is driving the software and not viceversa.

There are two big questions now: first, if PSP Slim is a turn-around for Sony's handheld in the long term or if it is only a Game Boy Micro-effect. I bet it's something in the middle, but where it is exactly in this "grey" ? Nodoby knows; we'll see.
Second, maybe I'm wrong, but when I see two significant events happening almost in the same period after 2 years of stability (in the handheld market), something says me they're linked somehow. Experience says me exactly that, but I could be wrong.

Dude don't worry. Its only the effect of a new redesign and the release of possibly the biggest game in Japan of 07. If The DS Lite released with New Super Mario Bros. you would probably see the same thing except the DS doesn't fall back down.

AniHawk said:
Or you're telling everyone else how better you are.
I still don't have a tag as awesome as yours so no ones take me seriously :/

Btw, PSP slim & lite numbers are so-so imo, on the other hand MGSPO+ are quite good (although it counts extension SKU and old game+extension SKU together). Budget re-releases usually do quite well in PSP, if the original game was big I mean (Minna no Golf Portable, Monster Hunter Portable...).

Izzy

Banned
MGSPO+ (deluxe pack included): 50k, sold-out reported

Nice surprise, who knows how much it would have sold if it wasn't supply constrained?

Top Bottom