• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media-Create Sales: Apr 27-May 3

donny2112

Stumpokapow said:
it's great that you're an expert in japanese culture, but game sales factually have spiked the last several golden weeks. whether that's a result of better announcement timing or something intrinsic to golden week doesn't really matter--we're used to sales spiking and they didn't this year.

This is what I'm looking at.

zGoldenWeekConsoles.png

Tenbatsu

markatisu said:
MHG should finally be ~100% of that bad 1st shipment. Hopefully Capcom learned that the Starter Pak or something similar is what everyone wanted

From the looks of this weeks Famitsu issue they have because they have some sort of special edition of MH3 coming out
e-Capcom Limited edition with Concert and Making of DVD + ?

&

Classic Controller PRO bundle

cvxfreak

Laguna said:
... ok? ;) They should have waited some weeks since MHG seems to sell decent right now. And I doubt giving a fix releasedate for MH3 will help MHGs sales. Thats all I´m saying.

G should have pretty good legs for a third party Wii game, so I wouldn't worry too much.

donny2112 said:

Hah. Well done.

markatisu

cvxfreak said:
G should have pretty good legs for a third party Wii game, so I wouldn't worry too much. .

I think you are right, people are giving the MH3 demo too much credit.

Its great but its severely limited and I have a feeling that people may actually be buying G for G and the fact its online servers will be up for some time.

donny2112

DarkMehm said:
@stumpokapow: I just presented facts, where are yours?

It's not every console that gets the bump. Nintendo's bump was a non-bump this year, though.

Note: No combined weeks included.

#1's sales for Golden Week and the week after.
2002: 200K (new release), 60K
2003: 57K (new release), 25K
2004: 162K (new release), 64K
2008: 178K, 119K
2009: 101K (new release), 44K

This year isn't historically bad, but the top sellers are often much higher than what we're seeing for this year.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Erm, the facts you presented supported my conclusion. Golden Week generally causes a hardware spike, particularly for Nintendo systems. Your original position was that it doesn't. It does. It has historically. Your data supports this, notwithstanding attempts to explain WHY it does.

This year, here's what we have:
DSL 7500 + 1.3%
DSi 47000 + 2.1%
PSP 42000 - 15%
Wii 20000 +- 0
PS3 15000 - 21%
PS2 6300 - 2%
360 5200 - 35%

Looking at the week before last, Wii is flat, PS3 is flat-down, PSP is flat-up, DSi is up a little. PS2/360/DSL are kinda not really worth analyzing :p

In other words, no bump. Moreover, software didn't get any kind of bump at all. It's just as junk as it was last week. #10 at 14k this week, #30 at 6.1k. Last week #10 at 17k, #30 at 5.4k. No real change. Week before #10 at 12k, #30 at 4.1k. A little down.

Also, I think most people were expecting a BIGGER bump than usual intuitively this year because hardware sales have been so "low" recently compared to previous numbers, so I think some people were thinking the bump would be a jump-start.

DieH@rd

Banned
donny2112 said:

zGoldenWeekConsoles.png

Basicly, MGS4 has sold same ammount of consoles as it was sold in 1st week when ps3 was premiered.

But Gt5 Prologue had 4 weeks of solid 60k sales, and MGS4 had only one week spike.

Also, where did you find that chart? Gimme link

DarkMehm

Stumpokapow said:
Erm, the facts you presented supported my conclusion. Golden Week generally causes a hardware spike, particularly for Nintendo systems. Your original position was that it doesn't. It does. It has historically. Your data supports this, notwithstanding attempts to explain WHY it does.

Actually in my OP I didn't mean that there was no bump at all, just that it is overrated. This year the top selling system was at 40k the week before Golden Week and it jumped to 56k. Thats not too bad, but still a low figure of course compared to past No 1s during GW. :)

Rolf NB

Minsc said:
Who are the upcoming brides to be? I guess DQ, GT, and no idea if there is anyone interested in the 360. It may just have to hope the PS2 dies from old age to win by default. The PS3 seems to have the most honeymoons in its future.
I'm pulling for buttons. The increased install base of classic controllers in the wake of Monster Hunter can only be of benefit.

As for the Xbox 360, I have no idea what happened there anyway. I think Japan could have used a bit more protectionism, especially with all those currency fluctuations and financial meltdowns going on last year. That phase at the beginning of the gen where Japanese publishers put exclusives on the Xbox 360 for god knows what reason will seem like a weird, shameful memory soon, like that one time where they got all plastered and almost killed a hooker.

It is what it is though. The PS3's initial growth has been stifled by what happened, and it will never be undone completely.

Maybe next gen Japanese execs will remember the ratio between their hopes wrt their eggs in Microsoft's basket and the results they actually got. Maybe next gen some Japanese execs won't be Japanese execs anymore.

donny2112

DieH@rd said:
Also, where did you find that chart? Gimme link

I keep it updated here.

bcn-ron said:
I'm pulling for buttons.

Then you are probably upset with Microsoft over the Xbox Fluid.
Wii's had buttons from day 1.

bcn-ron said:
like that one time where you they got all plastered and almost killed a hooker.

LandOfTheRisingSun.gif

bcn-ron said:
Maybe next gen some Japanese execs won't be Japanese execs anymore.

Sony's already ahead of the game! :D

Vinci

Danish
bcn-ron said:

Um ... hi?

Only gamers, specificially followers of FF intricacies, hard-core JRPG buffs you might call them, care about Advent Children. The movie has no appeal to a general audience. It doesn't even have proper character exposition or even a summary explanation of prior events in its world. It assumes you know who Cloud, Tifa, Sephiroth etc are. It's a movie that's bought by fans of FF, just like the demo is something only fans of FF would buy.

I'm not saying people are disinterested in the demo, I'm simply saying that it isn't the primary reason for its sales. And if you're discounting the impact of Advent Children on people in Japan, I think you're kidding yourself - and there is a very big difference between the AC audience (the FF7 fans) and today's FF faithful. They are not the same, at least not to the same level of fandom whatsoever.

FF7 was a damned phenomenon.

bttb said:
01. [NDS] Made in Ore (Nintendo) - 44,000 / 114,000
02. [NDS] Dragon Ball Kai: Saiyajin Raishuu (Bandai Namco Games) - 43,000 / 144,000
11. [PSP] Persona (Atlus) - 14,000 / 109,000
wow, Persona specially smells like some damage control on last week weird numbers. Will be interesting to watch how this trio does in MC and Dengeki.

Rolf NB

Vinci said:
Um ... hi?

I'm not saying people are disinterested in the demo, I'm simply saying that it isn't the primary reason for its sales. And if you're discounting the impact of Advent Children on people in Japan, I think you're kidding yourself - and there is a very big difference between the AC audience (the FF7 fans) and today's FF faithful. They are not the same, at least not to the same level of fandom whatsoever.

FF7 was a damned phenomenon.
I'm not saying it's not a phenomenon, just that it still is mostly a gamer phenomenon. People who end up buying Advent Children will probably want to buy FF XIII at some point, too, allowing us to extrapolate demand from one to the other.

markatisu

Flying_Phoenix said:
So the Wii's finally on top of the PS3 again?

2 weeks in a row for Famitsu, but its MC where the Wii took a big ole shit the last 2 months

I could see them tied in MC this week, but the PS3 is returning back to dropping again

New Games for the Wii apparently just equal stable shitty console sales :lol

Kogepan

markatisu said:
2 weeks in a row for Famitsu, but its MC where the Wii took a big ole shit the last 2 months

I could see them tied in MC this week, but the PS3 is returning back to dropping again

New Games for the Wii apparently just equal stable shitty console sales :lol

Considering the PS3 costs 50% more than the Wii, I'd say its doing pretty well.

Vinci

Danish
bcn-ron said:
I'm not saying it's not a phenomenon, just that it still is mostly a gamer phenomenon. People who end up buying Advent Children will probably want to buy FF XIII at some point, too, allowing us to extrapolate demand from one to the other.

My argument was with people saying 'XIII demo sells better than Tri's,' as I think they are severely missing the central reason why. I would consider AC vs. MHG the central reason.

And I would also guess that the reason for the PS3 sales' uptick was due to AC, not the demo.

Spiegel

Vinci said:
And I would also guess that the reason for the PS3 sales' uptick was due to AC, not the demo.

Not really, one doesn't buy a 40000Y console only to watch an old movie.

Sales went up because of this:

ff_advent_complete_ps3.jpg

Vinci

Danish
Spiegel said:

Sales went up because of this:

[IM]http://www.shopncsx.com/images/products/detail/ff_advent_complete_ps3.jpg[/IM]

Yeah, I want that.

markatisu

Kogepan said:

Sony needs it to do more than pretty well, it needs to is to at least keep the bumps that the big name software provides it.

PS3 lept over the Wii YTD but still remains ~4.9m behind in LTD, it cannot rely on massive AAA games to give it big sales and then drop like a rock. That was one of the Wii's pitfalls, when it ran out of big name games sales went into the toilet and it has had 6 months of virtually nothing. Its biggest game MHG in months only got it back to the stable level of shit it was at when the drought was in full force.

The Wii is in the same position, neither Sony or Nintendo should be happy with the state of their home consoles in Japan

botticus

bttb said:
08. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii (Bandai Namco Games) - 17,000 / 539,000
26. [NDS] Meccha! Taiko no Tatsujin DS: 7-tsu no Shima no Daibouken (Bandai Namco Games) - 6,300 / 566,000
The race to #2 (and beyond) continues.

stilgar

Kogepan said:

15000 units/week is not quite "doing well", especially since we're talking about PS2 successor. It's very, very bad.

Busaiku

Guess it seems I was right to suspect that Persona did have pretty horrible legs after its first day.
Dragonball Kai is chugging along very well though.
Warioware's got good legs, but the shipment is huge. I still don't think it's sold through the first.

donny2112 said:
They actuallly gave the month? I thought it was just Fall. September makes sense, though, as I think that's when Diamond/Pearl and Mystery Dungeon 2 were launched.
Haven't paid attention to Gold/Silver remake information, but it looks like the last three main series Pokémon games (Emerald, Diamond/Pearl, and Platinum) were all September releases.
Spiegel said:
To be contrary: I checked my Blu-ray shelf, and about half the discs I've purchased for PS3 have been movies at least 10 years old. :D

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Kogepan said:

So theoretically the PS3 would sell twice as much if it was the same price.

Wait....what????

Tideas

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
So theoretically the PS3 would sell twice as much if it was the same price.

Wait....what????

are you saying it'll sell the same if it was the same price? and not more?

donny2112

Tideas said:

Without the underlying reason for it selling low in the first place being remedied, a price drop would only provide a temporary increase. "The underlying reason is the price!" I believe the PS3 is now at or below the launch price of the PS2 in Japan. That would seem to indicate that it is not just the price.

Jasoncheng said:
Because inside-Ranking sometimes has error ? XD

Mainly it's just because my parser is setup for Gpara, and unless I'm posting the thread, the only thing I really need from that is the LTDs in the Top 10 to combine with the normal MC listing. Nothing personal against Inside-games. :)

donny2112 said:
Without the underlying reason for it selling low in the first place being remedied, a price drop would only provide a temporary increase. "The underlying reason is the price!" I believe the PS3 is now at or below the launch price of the PS2 in Japan. That would seem to indicate that it is not just the price.

Mainly it's just because my parser is setup for Gpara, and unless I'm posting the thread, the only thing I really need from that is the LTDs in the Top 10 to combine with the normal MC listing. Nothing personal against Inside-games. :)

yes but coupled with the fact that it is 3 years old now and not at launch, id say it has everything to do with the price. The backlog is more than sufficient to lay claim to the fact that it has no games released, although I understand the need for consistent releases. It still has to impact on it somehow.

jeremy1456

pseudocaesar said:
yes but coupled with the fact that it is 3 years old now and not at launch, id say it has everything to do with the price. The backlog is more than sufficient to lay claim to the fact that it has no games released, although I understand the need for consistent releases. It still has to impact on it somehow.

It would have nothing more than a short term impact.

Price drops cannot sustain console sales alone. This has been proven.

Tideas said:
I think his saying the discussion is pointless because you know we can't change the past. Not to mention it's an old, played-out meme people always use when the PS3 is getting outsold.

donny2112

BishopLamont said:
Not to mention it's an old, played-out meme people always use when the PS3 is getting outsold.

Or the PSP. Heian-kyo used to try to compare the revenue generated by the PSP and the DS hardware each week back in 2005.

mujun

bcn-ron said:
I'm pulling for buttons. The increased install base of classic controllers in the wake of Monster Hunter can only be of benefit.

As for the Xbox 360, I have no idea what happened there anyway. I think Japan could have used a bit more protectionism, especially with all those currency fluctuations and financial meltdowns going on last year. That phase at the beginning of the gen where Japanese publishers put exclusives on the Xbox 360 for god knows what reason will seem like a weird, shameful memory soon, like that one time where they got all plastered and almost killed a hooker.

It is what it is though. The PS3's initial growth has been stifled by what happened, and it will never be undone completely.

Maybe next gen Japanese execs will remember the ratio between their hopes wrt their eggs in Microsoft's basket and the results they actually got. Maybe next gen some Japanese execs won't be Japanese execs anymore.

i cant understand how someone can be bitter about this kind of stuff.

MoogPaul

Persona PSP had to be right in Media Create last week. Going form 79k to 30k makes more sense than 95k to 14k... right?

jeremy1456 said:
It would have nothing more than a short term impact.

Price drops cannot sustain console sales alone. This has been proven.

What? No it hasn't. The PS3 had much better sales throughout 2008 in US and EU because of the price drop in Q4 of 2007. 360 was also being outsold by the PS3 in NPD for most of 2008 until the price drop, and it has been outselling the PS3 ever since.

vicissitudes said:
What? No it hasn't. The PS3 had much better sales throughout 2008 in US and EU because of the price drop in Q4 of 2007. 360 was also being outsold by the PS3 in NPD for most of 2008 until the price drop, and it has been outselling the PS3 ever since.

He's talking about the Japanese market. The PS3 had a price drop in October 2007, it increased sales for a few weeks before dropping down (and then back up due to the holidays).

Tideas said:
Are you saying that it will still be a PS3 if it's the same price as the Wii? What would it remove? The disk player?

Vinci

Danish
mujun said:
i cant understand how someone can be bitter about this kind of stuff.

In his defense, Japanese devs are all over the place this gen - and likely to their detriment. For example, the only place they've been consistent is the DS.

mujun

Vinci said:
In his defense, Japanese devs are all over the place this gen - and likely to their detriment. For example, the only place they've been consistent is the DS.

true.

still i find it interesting that ppl can take that stuff so personally.

Top Bottom